PDA

View Full Version : DoC help

Shivilow
25-06-2009, 21:38
Ok I have my Deamonites but now I don't know what to buy next since i'm a noob to this.I want my army to be good when its in a 1500 point game or less what is your opinion for me??

PeG
25-06-2009, 21:45
You cant really go wrong with daemons. If you want fun games and opponents that will play against you again dont bring to many flamers or dogs. Keeping to one god will usually be considered fluffy and also helps you to avoid some of the really OP builds. I would suggest a Slanesh herald, maybe some flyers (core) to deal with warmachines etc

Tuch
26-06-2009, 15:23
If you are going mono Slaanesh pick up 2 Fiends, they are great flankers and will almost always be useful regardless of the point limit of the game.

If you are not staying mono Slaanesh then a unit of Fleshhounds is a good choice. Keep in mind though that if you use multiple units of them people will begin to complain.

As PeG mentioned you can't really flop with Daemons so its a great army to build solely with the models you like to use/paint. It's what I did.

dal9ll
26-06-2009, 21:14
Daemons are a very versitile and colorful army, meaning you cant do a TON of different stuff with. Right now you just have to decide what you want to run (based on what models you like and their rules) and how you want to run it. If youre going all-Slaanesh, get a ton of Daemonettes (30-40), 2-4 Fiends (like Tuch said), a Keeper of Secrets, the Masque, a Herald of Slaanesh or two, and some Furies. If youre NOT going Mono-Slaanesh, I'll just go ahead and tell you some general rules of thumb for Daemons:

--All the Core choices are good but you have to run them with a Herald (with Horrors and obviously Furies being exceptions)
--run Horrors in the minimum sunit ize of 10 with the Icon of Sorcery. This will maximize your dispel dice.
--Heralds of Khorne should always be on a Juggernaut and have Armour of Khorne (0+ armour save) just like Heralds of Nurgle should always be on a Palanquin and Heralds of Tzeentch should have Winged Horror
--Flesh Hounds and Flamers are the best units in the book. Be careful running more than 1 unit of each of these though because your opponent may not have a fun time, like Tuch said.
--Daemonic Magic is AWESOME. Use it.
--the Daemonic Icons are all pretty dern good. Some of them are just insane, like the Icon of Despair.
--Theres no bad Hero/Lord choice (other than the Daemon Prince).

All-in-all, Daemons dont really have any bad units, its just matter of putting the right characters in the right units and giving them the right Daemonic Gifts.

PS: Remember you can take multiples of Daemonic Gifts and Icons!
PSS: Also remember that Daemons are not the auto-win army that everyone on these forums whines about them being! You can lose!

Nabeshin1106
27-06-2009, 17:27
Daemons are a very versitile and colorful army, meaning you cant do a TON of different stuff with. Right now you just have to decide what you want to run (based on what models you like and their rules) and how you want to run it. If youre going all-Slaanesh, get a ton of Daemonettes (30-40), 2-4 Fiends (like Tuch said), a Keeper of Secrets, the Masque, a Herald of Slaanesh or two, and some Furies.
I second this. my usual 2250 list uses 40 Daemonettes, Keeper, Masque, 2 Heralds, 10 Seekers and 3 Fiends

PSS: Also remember that Daemons are not the auto-win army that everyone on these forums whines about them being! You can lose!
Indeed, I got my rear end handed to me quite firmly last week by Wood Elves

Drachen_Jager
27-06-2009, 21:45

I don't think anyone here claims they are an auto-win army, what people are saying (I think quite correctly too) is that if you power build for the maximum possible threat level about 50-75% of your games will be auto-win, the other 25% or so are games where you actually need to engage your brain and if you're a decent player (and not playing against a similarly powerful Demon build) you'll probably win most of those too.

I think that if players avoid the power builds with Demons they are a very competitive but not overly powerful army.

kardar233
28-06-2009, 01:57
And just one thing to say on this off-track bit: the biggest problem I have with Daemons is not that they're the strongest army, it's that you can easily make a very fluffy list without sacrificing much competitiveness. This isn't the case for most other top armies in their day, like SAD and RAF; they required very cookie-cutter builds in order to In this case, it doesn't seem that it's Daemons that need to be toned down, it's the other armies that need to be upgraded to their level.

Now that that slightly-longer-than-planned bit is over, let's get back to the thread.

Yeah. You can't really go wrong with DoC. Just take what models you like or whose fluff you like and build a list.

Nothing else to say. Yeah, really, I do.

Zee
28-06-2009, 07:17
Just go by the number 1 rule of warhammer :

Choose the units you think would be most fun, then work your tactics around that.

Ignore all the moaners, 90% of people that cry cheese just do it because they lost. Anyone that moans just do what I do and leave them to cry in a corner while you play some real players :cool:

As for specifics the Mask is a good unit, and effective at the 1500 points value, the range of the charge can really catch people off guard, and it will fit in with the theme of your army.

Vermin-thing
28-06-2009, 08:32
If you really want to be friendly, field the coolest lord choice, the Daemon prince. Sure It's not as good as a Keeper, but it's damn fast (like a bullet), and can hit like a sack of bricks. Don't get too fussy about it's gifts, all you really need is level 4 magic, and some kind of defense. With the mark of slannesh, winged horrer, and daemonic robes, plus level 2 wizard, it comes out to 440 points, for a many wound caster that canfly. If you were to take a Keeper it would be 450 points with no upgrades. which would you rather take? A flying level 2 Prince(440 points), or a level 1 Keeper?(450 points) Daemon Princes are great in small games of 2000 too 2250, any more than that, they just get over shadowed by the Greater Daemons. As many have already said, take what looks cool!

Urgat
28-06-2009, 18:42
As PeG mentioned you can't really flop with Daemons so its a great army to build solely with the models you like to use/paint. It's what I did.

I happen to like the previous hounds (sabertusk style), plaguebearers and flamers models... and the bloodthirster... I figured I shouldn't make a demon army after all >> I'm a fan of Slaanesh, actually, but as a big whole, with chaos warriors and so on. Just slaanesh demons doesn't really appeal to me ><

PeG
29-06-2009, 14:13
Nothing says you cant build an army around a large block of plaguebearers with a couple of heralds supported by lots of hounds and flamers. then add a thirster with obsidiam armour as your general. Just dont expect your opponents to play against that army more than a maximum of one time.

Having said that I actually like many of the daemon models and the fact that they can be converted and painted in nearly any way you want. They do require some effort to build a good army with (good in the way something that people will have fun with and against). The problem being that it is easy to build something that many will dislike for being OP.