FC
warbanner 415

3 fellbats 60

vargulf 175

C and C welcome

cheers

siphon101
26-06-2009, 15:08
That's a VERY big unit of GG. I find, now that in 7th ed VC can raise GG on a d6, that massive units like that are inadvisable. Trim it down to 20, at the most, drop the war banner for the banner of barrows. Combining WS 7 (from the helm) with the +1 to hit means you'll be hitting most things on 2s. Massive unit or not, they're still M4, and slooooow.

I find avatar of death and walach's bloody hauberk a waste of a combination. Basically you're paying 45 points for a 5+ ward save.

Here's my suggestion:

1) trim the GG down to 20
2) drop the warbanner from the GG, replace with Banner of Barrows
3) drop either avatar of death or walakh's bloody hauberk, they're not cost efficient combined in that. Keep avatar, drop the Great weapon for a shield, make him the BSB, give HIM the war banner. Combined with walking death, that model will give your GG a +3 static cr ON HIS OWN. SUfficient to make up the smaller GG unit which could lose a rank after only a casualty or two
4) I personally would also drop the flayed hauberk off the vamp lord. Yeah it's a 2+ armor save and that's nice, but if something manages to break through the big wight unit ahead of him, he's probably going to die anyway. You've built him to be a casting lord, maximize that. Give him the skull staff

at this point you should have freed up about 60 points. Perhaps give the BSB dread knight instead of avatar, to bump up his armor save a bit, if you're overly concerned with it.

I'm not thrilled by necromancers on corpse carts, but that's your call.

craskie666
26-06-2009, 17:03
whot shall i do with points saved from the droped 10 GG i was looking at having +8 static cobat res tgis has now gone down to +6. this means the enemy units now only have to kill 7 insted of 9 also then i can use the the skeletons to flank charge them

siphon101
26-06-2009, 17:09
whot shall i do with points saved from the droped 10 GG i was looking at having +8 static cobat res tgis has now gone down to +6. this means the enemy units now only have to kill 7 insted of 9 also then i can use the the skeletons to flank charge them

Eh, like I said, it's personal preference. I tend not to like "OMG HUGE" units, especially when they're M4. Grave guard are not your "we kill you now" units. They are the "you hit us and stop" unit.

The problem is, of course, with putting a huge point sink into one big ass unit is that while, yes, it's a big ass unit, all they have to do is smack something fairly resiliant into it, and now your giant "eggs in one basket" unit is stuck in combat, and can be avoided.

Amlesh
26-06-2009, 17:43
Take what Siphon said and I second it. 30 Grave Guard are too big of a points sink.

and now your giant "eggs in one basket" unit is stuck in combat, and can be avoided.

With the proper amount of dispel dice/scrolls, it can be avoided regardless of whether it's in combat or not. Deny the VC player VHDM and the Grave Guard are only moving 8" at most (and only 4 if march blocked).

Spirit
26-06-2009, 23:46

How do you get +8 static combat res?

30 grave guard: 3 ranks, standard, outnumber, warbanner = 6

+3 rank bonus is the most you can get, which is why 20 grave guard is plenty, because you can raise them back to have the ranks again.

craskie666
27-06-2009, 00:08
plus extra 1 for walking death so i was one at and 7 static combat res