PDA

View Full Version : 2009 LM FAQ release date..best guess? [closed: please use english thread]

Gork or Possibly Mork
27-06-2009, 09:00
I see the old LM FAQ on the GW site is removed. I just looked like a month ago and the it was still there which seems to suggest it was removed recently
to be replaced sometime soon. Im excited and curious to see how some of the rulings sway. I really hope they cover most of the more controversial things like EOTG, Cupped Hands, BS of Chief on Stegadon etc.

Anybody have any insight into when we can expect it to arrive. I.e. DE were released in___and thier FAQ was released___. Judging by that LM being released in FEB it should probably be there in______.

Condottiere
27-06-2009, 10:02
Release date of Book, plus six months.

TheMav80
28-06-2009, 03:42
The old FAQ was taken down a few weeks ago.

Which only served me make me want the new one even more... :(

beaumontbrawler
28-06-2009, 07:16
On 6/25/09, I received an email response from GW to an earlier inquiry . . . the response stated that the person had "no idea" when the FAQ would be released.

someone2040
29-06-2009, 04:42
I thought it's generally around 4 months. Didn't Warriors come out in November, and I'm fairly sure they got their FAQ in February.

I would expect it sometime soon... I hope...

I'd say they finally took down the old FAQ since most of it was probably irrelevant and could possibly send people down the wrong track if they didn't understand it was for an old book.

German_frog
02-07-2009, 22:55
Germany already has a LM FAQ (came this thursday afternoon)... your guys are late : P
Our FAQ's ordenary are only 1:1 translations of yours. So quickly you must get yours :)

decker_cky
02-07-2009, 23:06
When did the German FAQ get released?

German_frog
02-07-2009, 23:23
It was yesterday (2nd July) around half past three (thats the time we get noticed it in the forum of www.tabletopwelt.de )

German_frog
02-07-2009, 23:29
It was yesterday (2nd July) around half past three pm. Thats the time it got noticed in our forum. Now you can see it on the german GW-Site. Maybe the english upload failed? - don't know. I think in all way you will get it too in few time.

decker_cky
02-07-2009, 23:38
Can't find it by trying their typical link names. Drats.

Any chance you could give an overview of what rulings were made?

Troah
02-07-2009, 23:40
Where do you go to look at FAQs?

German_frog
02-07-2009, 23:40
ok, I will edit as fast as i can^^

Arromanche
02-07-2009, 23:49
Specific question:

Is the EOG Burning Alignment magical or not?

German_frog
02-07-2009, 23:51
EDIT: Ok that its by now^^ for more I think my translations would be more unclear, but I think there are already some important points given

sorry I think my english isnt well at all :< try my best^^

Slann: the special rules of sight and spell casting only can used in a unit of the temple guard

Teradons: May drop rocks in charge (if moved over
units while charging)
Droped rocks are ranged attacks

Stegadons: Howdah Weapons may not stand and shoot
Heros cant use howdah weapons
EotG Burning Alignment makes magical attacks

Salamanders: May not marge and shoot

Stegadon-Warspear: impact hits also counts as magical attacks

Staff of the lost sun: count as magical attacks, dont has jungle poisons

Horned one: effekts that destroy magic items has a effekt to the horned one, but then its counts as a cold one

decker_cky
03-07-2009, 00:36
Thanks for doing this German_frog. It's nice getting little tidbits early.

Slann: the special rules of sight and spell casting only can used in a unit of the temple guard

Didn't know there was confusion. :P

Teradons: May drop rocks in charge (if moved over units while charging)
Droped rocks are ranged attacks

Charging dropped rocks is interesting....I guess screamers can do the same (not that screamers should ever be in combat :P)?

Stegadons: Howdah Weapons may not stand and shoot
Heros cant use howdah weapons

Agree with both. It's a war machine and heroes aren't crew.

EotG Burning Alignment makes magical attacks

I'm guessing this means they don't make flaming attacks. In this case, I think they got it right on both counts. And this hurts wraiths, meaning they'll get taken less, which makes my beasts happy. :D

Salamanders: May not marge and shoot

Good. The argument that it was a breath weapon really was stretching it.

Stegadon-Warspear: impact hits also counts as magical attacks

:wtf: Seems to go against the path they took with the similar situation of magical missile weapons. Oh well.

Staff of the lost sun: count as magical attacks, dont has jungle poisons

:rolleyes: Ok. Let's see a little consistency on this one GW. Shooting from magic weapons is:
a) magical
b) not magical

Choose one and stick to it.

Horned one: effekts that destroy magic items has a effekt to the horned one, but then its counts as a cold one

Neat. I assume this applies to the orcs mechanical boar too?

Nothing too groundbreaking in there. Aside from the magical attacks from shooting, I don't have a problem from anything I've seen here.

JRD4
03-07-2009, 04:58
I'm guessing this means they don't make flaming attacks. In this case, I think they got it right on both counts. And this hurts wraiths, meaning they'll get taken less, which makes my beasts happy. :D

Why should it not be flaming? Rule of BURNING Iron and BURNING gaze are both listed as flaming. Not that I'm complaining if they choose against making it a flaming attack because the EOTG is already awesome, but based other burning spells it just may be.

decker_cky
03-07-2009, 05:08
It's not burning because it doesn't say "Flaming attacks." Simple as that. Only way for them to avoid all ambiguity.

Necromancy Black
03-07-2009, 06:26
Whelp, I'm bummed out on the LOS ruling, but as I've said before if that's what the FAQ says that's how I'll play it. God damn they need to learn to write the rules.

Warspear doing magical attacks on impact as well...still sounds like they want to sell more stegadons.

decker_cky
03-07-2009, 06:35
Whelp, I'm bummed out on the LOS ruling, but as I've said before if that's what the FAQ says that's how I'll play it. God damn they need to learn to write the rules.

But....this shouldn't have even been an FAQ question. It's perfectly clear as written.

Staurikosaurus
03-07-2009, 06:36
No offense, but I'll trust this information more when it's on the GW website AND/OR posted by someone who's post count is higher than 5 (all of which are in this thread).

Prophet of Quetzl
03-07-2009, 06:42
No offense, but I'll trust this information more when it's on the GW website AND/OR posted by someone who's post count is higher than 5 (all of which are in this thread).

1) It can be found on the GW german site here:

here (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m220001a_Errata_Armeebuch-Echsenmenschen.pdf)

2) My post count is not huge but is over 5. Can it be believed now?

I can't help with the translation though.

Condottiere
03-07-2009, 07:08
Firefox can't find it at this time.

Staurikosaurus
03-07-2009, 07:10
Same, link isn't working for me either. Translation isn't an issue, getting the document seems to be

Ultimate Life Form
03-07-2009, 07:17
The German Frog is right, I can confirm we have the FAQ. It says the following:

1) Kroxes do not count towards minimum for Skink units because they are an upgrade.

2) How to resolve a Bolt Thrower shot against such a unit (way complicated)

3) Only Krox US counts for outnumber/fear.

4) Temple Guard units may contain more than one character, but only one may be a Slann.

5) Slann's LoS as Large Target only possible in TG (the reason given: "He could hardly float up if he was on his own.":wtf:)

6) Terradon drop rocks = missile fire

7) Terradons may drop rocks while charging

8) Impact hits against Stegs are randomized

9) Giant Bow Poison: Only first hit autowound

10) Steg's Howdah Weapons may not stand and shoot and characters may not use their BS.

11) EotG is not a magic item carried by the priest (:wtf:) and Skink's spells and Engine's powers do not affect each other or cancel each other out.

12) Portent of Warding remains in effect until another power is chosen or rider or mount are killed.

13) EotG attacks are magical

14) Salamander may not march and shoot

15) Razordon s&s misfire: no shots at all, (number of misfires)xd3 Skink victims.

16) Razordon s&s enemy too close: must choose take charge

17) Sally/Razordon = US 3 so no -1 on missile fire to hit

18) Kroak's Deliverance of Itza in combination with enemy's magic items weird effects

19) Kroq-Gar's Hand of Gods attack affects enemies in CC

20) Damage from Mark of Xhotl is treated like shooting.

21) Chakax attacks first (:wtf:)

22) Tetto'Eko has a 40mm base.

23) Stegadon Spear's impact hits are magical.

24) Piranha Blade + Bane Head = 4 (!) wounds!

25) Blade of Realities does not benefit from Doom&Darkness

26) Staff of the Lost Sun = magical attacks but not Jungle Poison.

27) Horned One is not destroyed by Vaul's unmaking and the likes but rather replaced by a Cold One (:wtf:)

28) Cupped Hands and miscast result 12: Slann casts with IF, enemy wizard does forget the miscast spell if he does know it himself.

29) Cupped Hands uses army-specific miscast tables!!!

30) Cupped Hands is declared BEFORE you roll on the miscast table. Any Damage is multiplied by a Bane Head.

31) If multiple Items/Rules would affect the same miscast, you talk it out! (good luck...)

32) Plaque of Dominion can be used multiple times (surprise!)

33) Huanchi's Blessed Totem is activated before charge reactions are declared (because it's "fairer":wtf:).

Prophet of Quetzl
03-07-2009, 07:18
Man that sucks. Way to ruin your credibility PoQ :rolleyes:
Fixed the link in my previous post. Here (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m220001a_Errata_Armeebuch-Echsenmenschen.pdf)it is again.

If you can't make that work you can find the document by following these steps:
- Go to the GW site and change your country to Germany (bottom right dropdown)
- Go to the "Spielien" menu and select "Errata und F&As Artikel"
- Select "Warhammer: Errata und F&As"
- Click the green "Weiter" button on the bottom right
- The LM FAQ is the document called "Errata Armeebuch-Echsenmenschen.pdf"

It's dated "25 Juni 2009".

Avian
03-07-2009, 07:32
Apart from the 'rock drops while charging' one, which contradicts the wording in the army book, that all seems reasonable to me.

Note that regarding Tetto'ekko, they recommend a 40 mm base for him.

Ultimate Life Form
03-07-2009, 07:36
Apart from the 'rock drops while charging' one, which contradicts the wording in the army book, that all seems reasonable to me.

If you're implying I made these up, I have to dissappoint you, they're genuine.

The Terradon question is as follows:

May Terradons drop rocks in a turn where they charge?

As long as they move over another(sic!) enemy unit, why not!

Avian
03-07-2009, 07:41
I'm not suggesting that, I have the german one on the laptop right at this moment and I'm looking at it.

I'm just saying that according to the army book, dropping rocks happens in the Remaining Moves segment, at which point a charging unit is no longer moving but engaged in combat, so it's not going to be over any enemy unit. The FAQ therefore contradicts the army book. :p

Necromancy Black
03-07-2009, 08:53
I'm not suggesting that, I have the german one on the laptop right at this moment and I'm looking at it.

I'm just saying that according to the army book, dropping rocks happens in the Remaining Moves segment, at which point a charging unit is no longer moving but engaged in combat, so it's not going to be over any enemy unit. The FAQ therefore contradicts the army book. :p

Actually the army books says you can drop rocks on any unit you moved over during the movement phase.
These attacks are worked out during the remaining movement part of that phase. So you can drop rocks on something you moved over in an earlier part of that same phase.

Avian
03-07-2009, 09:34
D'oh, yes, on closer reading you are right.

Gork or Possibly Mork
03-07-2009, 10:23
Ask and you shall recieve. Cool! Too bad I don't speak German. Why would the English one not be up first.:confused:

Ultimate Life Form
03-07-2009, 11:28
Because we're always a step ahead.;)

EvC
03-07-2009, 11:34
Nice post chaps! Good call on the Terradon drop rocks ruling as well, I was all prepared for people to refuse to ever believe this was possible. Looks like a funky FAQ- my poor Wraiths :(

nosferatu1001
03-07-2009, 12:57
The terradon drop rocks thing is exactly right, and how I've said it works for a while - people just got hung up as it started "in the remaining moves...." however that only ever gives the time it should occur, not wheny ou must have moved over the unit.

Griefbringer
03-07-2009, 12:58
Because we're always a step ahead.;)

I guess we should be prepared to see the WHFB 9th released in Germany a few months before the rest of the world... :cool:

Pavic
04-07-2009, 00:49
5) Slann's LoS as Large Target only possible in TG (the reason given: "He could hardly float up if he was on his own.":wtf:)

Bizarre....

10) Steg's Howdah Weapons may not stand and shoot and characters may not use their BS.

Disheartening to hear that howdah pipes can't S&S. I felt that this really added to the value of the Ancient Steg. Without this, I think they will only see use in my lists as character mounts.

13) EotG attacks are magical

Thank the maker

23) Stegadon Spear's impact hits are magical.

24) Piranha Blade + Bane Head = 4 (!) wounds!

Wow to both of these

Avian
04-07-2009, 09:19
The answer on the slann LOS question is just translated badly. It goes something like this:

Q: Does a Slann benefit from drawing line of sight as if he was a Larget Target only when in a unit of Temple Guard? Or does this also apply when he is on his own or in another unit?

A: It only applies when he is in a unit of Temple Guard. The rule only refers to Temple Guard and describes how the Slann rises from the ranks of the Temple Guard to cast his spells, and then descends again. He could hardly do that if he was on his own!

Necromancy Black
04-07-2009, 09:31
Le sigh. It would help if the rule actually did say that instead of making mention to the TG only once. If they said "Unfortinitly the wording makes it hard to understand, but the rule is meant..." that would be perfectly fine.

The last sentence still fails at logic.

Ultimate Life Form
04-07-2009, 09:35
It's not translated badly, it's shortened for reading convenience (as everything else in case someone couldn't tell). But yes, that is pretty much what the FAQ says.

Griefbringer
04-07-2009, 10:04
The last sentence still fails at logic.

Perhaps the Slann does not actually float up by himself, but rather the closest temple guards actually grab him and throw him high into the air for him to get a vantage point for spell-casting?

Ultimate Life Form
04-07-2009, 10:11
Perhaps the Slann does not actually float up by himself, but rather the closest temple guards actually grab him and throw him high into the air for him to get a vantage point for spell-casting?

Yeah! That must be it! I always knew the palanquin's resemblance to a Frisbee disc wasn't mere coincidence!:p

EvC
04-07-2009, 12:19
Or the Slann only gains the confidence to rise that high when surrounded by such powerful bodyguards. Easily explained.

Staurikosaurus
04-07-2009, 12:44
I wonder if GW actually wrote this FAQ because many of the responses seem asinine

Eulogy2
04-07-2009, 12:48

Warspear doing magical attacks on impact as well...still sounds like they want to sell more stegadons.

told ya the LOS rule without the unit was taking it out of context:p. it is written poorly but almost the entire thing does refer to either temple guard or then "unit".

Griefbringer
04-07-2009, 14:50
Or the Slann only gains the confidence to rise that high when surrounded by such powerful bodyguards. Easily explained.

So their praise makes his ego bloat, until he resembles a magical hot air balloon that then raises above the unit to rain brimstone and ruin upon the enemy? :evilgrin:

kylek2235
04-07-2009, 20:00
I take it there's no mention of seperate points costs for the monstrous mounts of special characters like Lord Mazdamundi and Kroq-gar?

N810
04-07-2009, 20:28
Good lord man !
why would you want them to cost more ?
They are almost never taken as is.

The points are right and the mounts are mentioned in the character rules and description.
Besides their mounts have names and special rules too.

kylek2235
04-07-2009, 20:32
No, not more points. There's no seperate point cost for the mounts so if you kill the mount, you get nothing. Vice verca, the characters themselves are worth a ton a points....

Usually it's pretty close to the standard amount, but there is no standard amount for a Stegadon upgrade for a Slaan and the Dinobot has a different statline from a normal Carnosaur.

Mireadur
04-07-2009, 22:15
So the giant bow/blowpipes cant be fired by a skink chief?

EvC
05-07-2009, 00:15
thass what it sez

Dragune
05-07-2009, 05:09
Thanks a lot for translating this. It sure does Clarify a lot of things.

Jetty Smurf
06-07-2009, 01:27
I am rather disappointed by the LoS with the Slann answer. I wonder what their reasoning behind it is.

Also wondering why in the world there is no FAQ on the UK site. I was under the impression that the Warhammer rules and army books were written in the UK. Should this not mean that the first wave of information should be coming from the UK?

This is no way shows my disbelief for the German FAQ, as the answers seem pretty reasonable and genuine.

Avian
06-07-2009, 06:16
I am rather disappointed by the LoS with the Slann answer. I wonder what their reasoning behind it is.
Maybe they want to sell more of the new plastic Temple Guard kits.
;)

Necromancy Black
06-07-2009, 07:22
Maybe they want to sell more of the new plastic Temple Guard kits.
;)

Well that followed by the EotG being magical as well as impact hits from the warspear, I think they want to sell more stegadons as well.

Lordmonkey
06-07-2009, 07:39
Something I don't get - why does the German version of the FAQ get released first? I thought that, since the designers are based in the UK, the FAQ would be compiled here (in English) and then translated afterwards?

Pardon my ignorance if i'm missing something - just a minor curiosity :)

Jetty Smurf
06-07-2009, 07:46
Thats ok Lordmonkey, I asked the exact same thing, with the exact same thoughts (GW being based in the UK and all).

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 08:21
All the pdfs get sent out around the same time, however the German site probably got excited and posted it early.

Used to happen all the time with GW Canada.

Mireadur
06-07-2009, 13:15
Well that followed by the EotG being magical as well as impact hits from the warspear, I think they want to sell more stegadons as well.

Steg EoTG being magical makes sense however... As well as the extra D6 impacts from the spear (but just these D6 not all of them :p)

SabaLoth
06-07-2009, 14:45
hmm... nice FAQ. Okay, we didn't get al the good ones(s&s steg, BS chief) but we sure as hell got some good ones

German_frog
06-07-2009, 18:50
Gratz^^ - your english one is finally out now :)

beaumontbrawler
06-07-2009, 19:04
Declare use of Cupped Hands AFTER rolling on the miscast table . . . I don't want a 2, you take a 2!!!

Ultimate Life Form
06-07-2009, 19:34
Declare use of Cupped Hands AFTER rolling on the miscast table . . . I don't want a 2, you take a 2!!!

You're right, but it's not my fault, so I don't feel the need to apologize. It's in fact a wrong translation from whatever idiot did it. The German text literally says:

"Declare the use of the Cupped Hands of the Old Ones after a miscast has occured, then roll on the miscast table."

I think that shows very well the depth of thought GW puts into translating their products.

Anyway, I'm even happier now!:D

beaumontbrawler
06-07-2009, 20:16
You're right, but it's not my fault, so I don't feel the need to apologize.

No apology needed . . . we all appreciate you bringing what you've got to the party. :D

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 21:43
I don't get it - the german faq accurately reflects what the book already indicates, that you declare upon finding you have miscast. Sigh.

Mixed units are really, really weird.

WLBjork
07-07-2009, 07:27
I think that shows very well the depth of thought GW puts into translating their products.

Anyway, I'm even happier now!:D

Translating is outsourced, a friend of mine was asked to help with a (I think) Cantonese version (by a translating company). He made a few points about where they had inadvertently changed the rules, but didn't think they were taken up on.

N810
07-07-2009, 13:08
yea it's phrased differently in the English version. ;)