PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck - how can I finish this list?

Jind_Singh
27-06-2009, 09:41
Hello all,
I'm stuck! Got my hands on a new Empire army which I've started to assemble. All I can think of for my list is:

1) 10 archers from Stirland, upgraded to hunters with a marksman 105pts
2) 10 Reiksgaurd knights, FC, Daemonslayer bannor - 320pts
3) 25 swordsman, FC with 10 handgunners, 12 halberdiers (Averland)
4) 20 Flagellants with prophet - 210pts
5) 5 pistoliers, musican, champ with repeator pistol - 114pts (Riek)
6) 5 pistoliers, musican, champ with repeator pistol - 114pts (Averland)
7) 5 pistoliers, musican, champ with repeator pistol - 114pts (Ex-Solland nobles, now Averland)
8) Great cannon (Averland)
9) Hell Blastor volley gun (Nuln)

In total I spent about 1502 - so I've got around 748pts to play with.
Any ideas????
Thanks

Slayerthane
27-06-2009, 21:53
I would fill out the remaining points with characters. An empire general, a BSB and what ever other characters you want to throw in.

WodenMHC
28-06-2009, 00:15
Certainly use some of the 748pts remaining to buy your army some characters. Depending on your preferences, a Templar Grand Master (or Helborg) for your knights is a good choice, as is a (cheaper) mounted Warrior Priest. A Wizard at least for defense even is a must, and a few Captains or a General if no Grand Master to give out his Leadership is important. Now, even if you take expensive guys, you probably wouldn't end up spending nearly 800pts on them (you could, but I'd probably advise against it).

I think I'd like to see more infantry blocks with detachments. Perhaps another unit of swordsmen or any other infantry if it seems like a good buy.

Thanks for your time!

Caboose123
28-06-2009, 02:09
My Advice,numbered according to priority:

1) I'd split the knights up into 2 units of 5.
2) Add characters.
3) Add more guys? Its a bit on the small side...
9) It could have another rare choice (If you took 1 Priest), if you don't like the ones in the book I suggest a Giant , I use them in all my empire lists.

Jind_Singh
29-06-2009, 05:56
yah I'll be using the balance of the points to get 3 characters, thats why i need help!
not sure wether to run a general, a wizzie lord, or a priest
i know i need a captin with BSB, and yet i'm worried that my troops are limited in numbers - and they dont exactly pack a punch!!!
so i was wondering which 3 characters to run, and what units need to be dropped/included to make this an effective all-round force

Jind_Singh
30-06-2009, 02:12
My Advice,numbered according to priority:

1) I'd split the knights up into 2 units of 5.
2) Add characters.
3) Add more guys? Its a bit on the small side...
9) It could have another rare choice (If you took 1 Priest), if you don't like the ones in the book I suggest a Giant , I use them in all my empire lists.

If I split the knights should I still take a command for them??? How about a level 4 wizzard lord, a captin BSB , and a warrior priest - that way I can have some magic, some magic defence, and a little bit of combat.
I was looking at taking the griffon standard (doubles rank bonus) for the BSB, some tricky items for the wizzie lord, and basic warrior priest on foot - maybe get him a trinket to help keep my army from running!!!

I'd like to squeeze in some troops - but I doubt i'll have enough points left over - pehaps some greatswords? stubborn, str 5 - ws is ok for humans.....

and perhaps i should drop a unit of fast cav for another infantary block??

Peril
30-06-2009, 16:53
I love pistoliers! Don't ruin your brilliant army by leading it with a wizard.

I agree with the others - split the Knights, add a general of some type and a BSB, and maybe a couple of Warrior Priests for a little extra magic defense.

Jind_Singh
30-06-2009, 20:30
so no wizzards in there at all then from the looks of it!
I'll take an empire general, captin, warrior priest, a scroll caddy wizzie - lvl 2 perhaps
i'll split the knights into 2 blocks of 6, give them FC perhaps, and drop the fear causing bannor - as unit str 12 isnt that great - not compared to 20!
what do you think about my warmachines - keep them or ditch them for more troops???
how about greatswords - i was thinking a unit of 20 but that gets pricey!

Peril
30-06-2009, 21:06
Keep your cannon for sure (good for Giants and whatnot). Try the Helblaster out and see if you like it.

I would only give the knights a banner if there is going to be a character in there (a Warrior Priest for example, which gives them hatred).

Greatswords are nice, but you already have Flagellants, and they sort of serve the same purpose (I prefer Greatswords). Maybe get a couple of detachments? I don't know.

Jind_Singh
01-07-2009, 07:09
actually thats a good point - same use (stubborn v's unbreakable) but strength 5 with their juicy great weapons - not to mention I can give them detachments which makes them more useful in combat - oh the headaches of chosing a decent army!

Peril
01-07-2009, 13:59
If I use Flagellants I just take a very small unit. Run them something like 3 wide, and use them to force an opponent to expose a flank for a turn. You will lose the unit for sure, but garaunteeing the one turn stop for a small price is invaluable.

I do the same tactic with Dwarf Slayers.