PDA

View Full Version : Just had my first mini catastrophe!

Captain Micha
29-06-2009, 15:26
Oh the humanity!

I was playing 40k yesterday afternoon, when my box of guardsmen (1200 point game so I had loads of extra guys) takes a fall to the floor.

There was a sound, much akin to the shattering of glass and a feeling much akin to being punched in the gut. I turned to look and saw bits of minis laying every where.

Bodies were in half, arms missing, decapitations, weapons forced off of platforms and other atrocities. It seemed like my entire army had been destroyed by one accident of fate. One cruel twist had sent countless hours tumbling to the hard and cruel floor, smiting my minis and laying them asunder.

Needless to say I couldn't bring myself to continue the game, because I was too busy picking up the pieces of my brave but apparently suicidal minis. Has anyone else had a mass army suicide?

Vepr
29-06-2009, 15:44
Knock on wood I have never had any mass suicides but I have had plenty of individual suicides and even a few murders.

When I played Chronopia I made my own vulture marksman. It took a long time to convert properly and make it look good and then I spent hours on the paint job. At the time it was easily the nicest mini I had ever done and I got a ton of compliments on it. One day while playing a kid and his dad come by and the kid picks up the mini without asking and then promptly drops it on the floor. Needless to say it did not bounce and pretty much wrecked it beyond recovery. They apologized but I could tell with the dad especially that it was no big deal to them. Really ticked me off but what can you do?

SharpSilver
29-06-2009, 15:44
If by suicide you mean having 2 leman Russ tanks and 3 heavy weapons teams thrown away by accident.

;(

Vepr
29-06-2009, 15:45
If by suicide you mean having 2 leman Russ tanks and 3 heavy weapons teams thrown away by accident.

;(

Ouch... :eek:

Captain Micha
29-06-2009, 15:52

;(

Wow.. I'd cry over that or at least rant for a long time.

senorcardgage
29-06-2009, 15:52
Sorry to hear about your pain, man!

The worst things that I've witnessed is a fat guy sitting on his hammerhead (not pretty) and another guy accidentally booting my cousin's hive tyrant. The hive tyrant broke in every possible way, including the wings!

Bellygrub
29-06-2009, 15:58
I was carrying three Killa Kanz and a converted ork truk out to the car in a shoebox on top of a GW case. I didn't realize just how slippery the GW cases were until I set it on the roof of the car to get my keys out and the shoebox went sailing.

I heard the sound of tinking metal and crunching plastic as well as the sound of my heart breaking.

Luckily only two kanz arms popped off and the trukk lost an axle. Both easy fixes. Remarkably the paint jobs were intact except a few chips around the breaking points on the kanz arms.

puppetmaster24
29-06-2009, 16:02
these stories are making me cry:cries:. touch wood these will never happen to me.

bob_the_small
29-06-2009, 16:10
A friend of mine was just leaving the Great Devourer Tounrament 07, with his large GW case. He is at the top of the stairs and starts to walk down with the rest of the group. Then, From up above I heard a clang (his case buckle snapping) and the horrible clinking noises of tiny plastic and metal models colliding with the metal stairs... when all was silent, that was all you could hear.

HE wasnt too happy.

For mankind
29-06-2009, 16:18
Hm strange, my Cadians often fall down, (i treat them very lovelessly), but they never break or something, it is nearly impossible to harm them.
Same for my tanks and everything that is made from plastic.

The Base
29-06-2009, 16:18
Assuming they are the plastic models it sounds like you need to use more plastic glue.

If they were metal models then may god have mercy on your soul.

Mateldar
29-06-2009, 17:22
Its a kind of urban mith, but some time ago I knew about some one ho argued with his wife, and she in an act of fury piked up his painting table with a lot of skavens and threw it away the window.... of a 7 floor....

Spacker
29-06-2009, 17:37
I'm glad I haven't had a major catastrophe like these. I think the worst at a gaming club was picking up my Eldar Vampire Raider which was pinned but not glued and then watching the nose section separate and bounce off the floor in slo-mo. Luckily the damage was extremely minor.

I tend to always keep my mini cases on the floor under the table - no heights to drop from, and little chance of being stood on during the game. It does mean an increased risk of head injury from the table edge, but recovering from injuries is a lot less stressful than seeing widespread mini carnage.

Kurisu313
29-06-2009, 17:58
It was years ago, but I was holding a box containing my lizardmen, including an old slann (with the four saurus bearers) and terradons.

The box fell to the floor, completely oblliterating the slanns' bearers, and snapping all the terradons flying stands off :(

Thankfully, I was holding the stegadon when it happened...

Lord Malorne
29-06-2009, 18:01
OP:Use more glue :p.

EVIL INC
29-06-2009, 18:39
I had a large undead army at one time. I moved in with one of my buddies to share an apartment. In our game room, we both had shelves to display our armies. One day, he decided he wanted my shelf too so he took an empty box and used his arm to sweep my undead army in. Of course, almost every model was mutilated. He had to leave the apartment for a few hours when I found out so I could cool down without killing him.
I just didnt have the heart to even try to fix the years of collecting and painting so I gave what was left of the army to a different buddy of mine. Dont even know if he fixed it up or not.

BigBadBull
29-06-2009, 19:25
Try having your just completed Reaver knocked to the floor while taking pictures.
Wife bumped the table and I could only baseball dive and catch so much ...

Wife not allowed in model room any more... she gets to use her own crappy laptop in another room.

Damage list:
1 broken shoulder (right off the body)
Gatling blaster all barrels broke off
missile pod broke off its base
Damaged Shin guard
Broken off Cod Armor

I was able to repair every thing and had to repaint and pin several parts, but I won't move him around till I get the custom foam I had made for him...

colmarekblack
29-06-2009, 19:35
Had a mini-catastrophe on a train once. I was approaching my station and the case fell open, lost 20 Cadians and 2 Officers :(. They were my best painted minis at the time as well :cries:. Thankfully it wasn't more than that, prob would have cried on the spot.

On small note. Plastic Shadowswords don't bounce off walls. Had to rebuild the entire right track section.

de Selby
29-06-2009, 19:36
A few breakages but nothing as bad as most of the things in this thread (touch wood). I am mentally doing that cringe that men do when they hear stories about testicular_torsion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion)

Wicksy
29-06-2009, 19:41
It happens.....everyone suffers it from time to time. I've done stupid things but its nothing a dab of superglue and a touch up cant fix.

As for the kid dropping the model....i'd be angry with the father more than anything and we'd have to have words about his lack of parenting.

Ghost-13
29-06-2009, 20:35
Recently I let a friend borrow my eldar army, I have been playing my tau recently, and he was a trusted friend. When I called him up last week to get my models back he regrets to inform me that both my falcon and my fire prism are now broken:cries: he had the decency to give me $20 and let me borrow the tool to fix them, but it was still a very sad phone call.

eltanko
29-06-2009, 20:38
i havnt had a mass disaster, but i do tend to hols each individual mini up as i paint them, to view my mad skillz of course, and im a bit clumsy and end up dropping them, heads arms backpacks always snap off :(

ElTanko

Petay1985
29-06-2009, 21:38
Dropped my forgeworld nurgle sorceror, snapped the weapon shaft in 3 places, needless to say i wasn't happy!!

Grimbad
29-06-2009, 21:44
My guard guys are one-part metals so I don't have to worry about them.

I haven't had a mass breakage since my first Marines army when about 500 points broke in one drop. I never use plastic glue, so all the breaks were at the joints and I was able to fix most of them.

Faddlevins
29-06-2009, 21:49
In a fit of rage (that was unrelated to 40k) my land raider crusader was handy. I threw it as hard as i could against the wall. Scraped the paint off the wall and small dents. The LRC split in half, the bottom and one side and the top and other side. One of the front doors was obliterated. Pretty much everything else came off.

It was also an old metal one with that damned hurricane bolter nightmare.

Fortunately the model was pretty crappy already, purchased it second hand for $10.

I laugh whenever i think about it :D

ServanoTomasin
29-06-2009, 21:51
Plastic Shadowswords don't bounce off walls.
-dare I ask how you came to find this out? Or am I better off not knowing....

A while ago my iron hands army decided to take a drop-pod trip to the floor in a box. From a very high shelf, on to my feet.
So, not only have the marines ripped their own bionics out, they decided to do so, right on my feet. :mad: Whilst the marines were easy to fix again, the most annoying thing was all the chipped paint. (And the techmarines. My god, if ever there was a model that has a design flaw, the servo-arms bend and snap so easily.... :mad:)

Most people I know who play IG tank armies have had their tanks "crab-roll", my self included. It now means we rarely put vox-casters ontop of our tanks anymore. Or pintle-mounts. Or turrets. Or anything which has the slightest chance of breaking. Infact, one guy has even taken to putting heavy weights on the base of the tank to stop it rolling over. (Or coarse, this now means that the tanks are deadly to un-armoured feet, and should they ever fall over, the landing is even more spectacular :D)

scopedog91
29-06-2009, 21:52
I tend to drop my marine assault weapon guys, and then step on them.
Had a few broken bases or arms/guns coming off, but easily fixed.
Worst thing I have ever seen was at a FLGS and a big stinky guy knocked over a friends brandnew, just painted Armorcast Eldar titan.
The looks given to the stinky dude...would have melted steel.
Luckily, the titan fell onto a carpeted surface...no harm done that wasn't easily fixed.

i

slingersam
29-06-2009, 22:56
Ya some of the ones I've read are pretty bad. But I think I can beat you guys easily. The only way I think my parents can punish me is by smashing my models, always they threaten me by breaking my armies so it always sucks to get in trouble as my armies are always up on the chopping block. Anyway my parents have done this twice were they will pick up the box with my army inside it and just chuck it at the wall. The second time they did it I almost gave up on the hobby as I felt it is not worth my time to keep repairing the armies, if this is going to continue to happen.

Another incident is this kid was trying to be smart or cool ... I don't know anyway what he did was try to jump over an army case full of Orks. This was one of those big army cases with the shoulder strap and everything. Anyway as he jumps over the case his foot gets caught in the shoulder strap. He trips in mid flight and lands right on the case. The worst part about it was that he wasn't even careful when he was getting up and all you could here is crunch, crunch, grind as he was getting off the case. I felt sorry for the guy that owns the army case because after store hours he will stay behind a couple of hours to allow people to play a couple games. So for this to happen to him was heart breaking.

Gdolkin
29-06-2009, 23:10
Wait, your parents deliberately break your models to express their displeasure with you? Dude, that's ****ed up, get away from them ASAP.

SharpSilver
29-06-2009, 23:38
Your parents broke your models on purpose? That's terribly cruel.

Hell, even confiscating armies is bad enough.

Cane
29-06-2009, 23:39
Before I went to college I had an Armored Company which consisted of a Chimera, 3 Basilisk tanks, and 4 Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

I came back from college only to find one remaining Basilisk left; the others were thrown out.

)(@#*&#%(&@#(%&)#@&%)#(&@#&+!@$*)!@*$_@$*_@**@$_)!@$

Since then I've purchased another Chimera and LRBT. Been using cheap military kits as another way to bolter my force too. On top of all that I came back into the hobby when IG tanks finally had some real mobility behind them; back in 3rd edition they were little more than armored bunkers and not very fun to use.

tacoo
29-06-2009, 23:55
for me it was when this happened
i had my huge GW case and a soulgrinder box filled with minis, the contents in the soul grinder box were 2 hive tyrants, 1 carnifex, 10 plaguebearers, 2 soulgrinders, and a great unclean one and about rweny odd plastic models. well i get out of the car and carry it all up to the house, and i amek into the door. i go to sit the box down when the GW case sllips off my shoulder and jolts my arm, sending the soulgrinder box flying (BTW, it didnt have anything over it, so it was open to the air) when it lands i here a nice crunching sound as 10 metla plague bearers and 2 hive tyrants cursh most everything else. the end ddamage was all the plastic models reduces to almost nothing, one hive tyrant loosing 3 of its arms and its tail while my other yrant and carnifex just sent bit flying (those 2 were magnitized thank god( but one leg fell of tyrant. the great onlean one split where you glue its one leg on, the soul grinders both loose there arms and a couple of legs. in the end only the carnifex kept on his base, and plague bearers not even scuffed. still havnt fixed them up yet.....

Marshal Augustine
29-06-2009, 23:59
i once had the box carrying all my tanks make a flip and land upside down on the floor. I did not open the box until I got home the damage was great.

Shrapnel
30-06-2009, 00:06
Never had that bad a spill myself, but I think I've mentioned the guy with the exquisitely painted bone giant, who caught the sword on his sleeve and pulled the bloody thing off the judges table moments after putting it down.

rabblerouser
30-06-2009, 00:49
I had an army fall off the back of my motorcycle at speed. That was the end of it all

SonoftheMountain
30-06-2009, 00:54
Before I deployed to Afghanistan a couple of years ago I was aske to leave a FW dread I painted in the GW store display case. It had a banner on it that doubled the Dread's height. The store closed while I was gone but one of the former employees held on to it for me. For a year it was ok, then 1 week before I came home, the guy's cat knocked the dread off the top of a bookcase and it suffered a D hit.

Luckily my Chapter's Artificers (AKA superglue) were able to repair the damage.

Geep
30-06-2009, 01:30
I've never had anything too bad happen with a 40K army, but I used to have a warhammer Vampire counts army on display. We ended up hiring a cleaner for a while and, though she was very friendly, she was also very clumsy and insisted on cleaning everything- even when I asked her not to. I'd sometimes come home to find models had been dusted onto the floor, trodden on and then vacuumed... I quickly learnt to hide all my models.

HsojVvad
30-06-2009, 02:07
just made my carni. had him on top of my tv and he fell off. all arms and body broke off. luckily at the joints but I could never get the same pose as it was before.

Still havn't lernt my lesson, back ontop of the tv again lol.

Imperius
30-06-2009, 02:15
Your guys's models must be WEAK or something.
I've thrown many space marines across my room VERY hard agaisn't the walls. Never broke, not even a slight chip in the paint or a bent sword or anything.

Filthy O'Bedlam
30-06-2009, 02:30
Two recent incidents jump to mind. First, I've been heavily converting Krooy, and I have put all of the bits I might need in one little cup thing, which I then proceeded to knock over and scatter all over my apartment. Took me the better part of last night to find what I think is all of the bits.

Second, I have long dreadlocks past my butt, and my heavily converted Daemon Prince decide to grab onto one of them. He then went for a serious ride and then detached and flew to the floor. He broke into every single seperate component part. I was a sad, sad panda.

Cheers, Filthy

HsojVvad
30-06-2009, 03:19
Your guys's models must be WEAK or something.
I've thrown many space marines across my room VERY hard agaisn't the walls. Never broke, not even a slight chip in the paint or a bent sword or anything.

Consider yourself very lucky. BTW what Sm did you have? The box set SM or the actual ones you have to glue the arms and legs on?

Bookwrak
30-06-2009, 04:09
I used to keep my Warhound dramatically posed on a bookshelf. Then one day, I blundered into the bookshelf and sent the titan tumbling to the floor. Fortunately, for transport and poseability, I had the legs and arms held on by magnets, so they sucked up a lot of energy by flying off (the toes broke off, of course) so it wasn't as bad as it could've been, but there was still a whole lot of repair work to put it back together again.

JJsmoothdaddy
30-06-2009, 04:14
Ohh how long i've waited for a thread like this. Thank the emperor that it wasn't as bad as the OP's or the guy with the motorcycle's situation though. So my friend's girlfriend's dad is really into WW!! minis and he paints em up all the time, and as soon as i learned this i gave him a sample of my best work: a gunnery sergeant harker mini that i slaved over for almost 5 hours and my colonel that took me over 6 hours to paint. Needless to say I was pretty attached to both these models. So my friend gets my minis back from his GF's dad and puts them on a chair near his front door so he'd remember to give them to me. An understandable move, no? Not when you have a 7 year old brother with no regard for other peoples' stuff, hands of stone, and the mind of a 2 year old. He took my prized guardsmen and brought them to a family party, to a diner, and then LOST THEM! And when i went to get them back, the little bastard didn't even help me look. This is exactly why i can never be an elementary school teacher.

the1stpip
30-06-2009, 06:26
I have seen it, and experienced it.

Generally, it happens when you go to pick up your case, not realising you havent closed it properly.

You have my sympathies.

the1stpip
30-06-2009, 06:28
Just looking at the last post though, I have had a similar story.

Just finished my first Salamander, a converted Scout Sergeant. Spent ages on it, painted the cloak to have dragon scales and all.

Left it on the side so I could use it to comparison while working on other members of the squad. Out of the room, my 2 yr old daughter sees my paints, and trying to emulate daddy, covers it in Ultramarine Blue.

Suffice to say, I was not impressed.

Warpcrafter
30-06-2009, 07:01
I wrecked my car while I had my entire 8,000 point (Second edition points values) Eldar army sitting in the back seat in open boxes. There were brightly colored toy soldiers all over the road. The wreck happened on an overpass, and my armorcast Revenant titan went flying down into a culvert. It was about ten degrees out and the army had been sitting in the car for a week, and so the titan literally shattered like glass.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
30-06-2009, 07:12
From my experience Crisis Battlesuits are incredibly suicidal, or I could just be very careless:D
I have lost 2 Commanders and 3 crisis suits to death by accidental bump off the table with my elbow. Their fragile little legs, weapons and heads are no match for my mighty elbow.
Oh yeah and a railgun suit snapped off at the feet and I cant seem to fix him.

Dragune
30-06-2009, 07:26
I once was playing a game on the floor and ended up breaking my dreadnought with my knee when I was reaching over to grab something It hurt like hell but at least it wasn't too bad to put back together.

tacoo
30-06-2009, 08:03
i have picked up my case too many imes to count when it was not closed propaply. think god i have only plague bearers in it when i do this most of the time (usually do it mid game and for some reason never use those buggers)

Nekron99
30-06-2009, 08:49
You guys' accidents made me LoL - I feel your pain.

I had a squad of freshly painted and clear-coated CSMs drying on a piece of cardboard when a gust of wind sent them down 8 stories. Plastic ones survived (kinda), metal ones were history.

Chielz0r
30-06-2009, 08:51
I had a small camping table with 2200 points of vampire counts standing on top of it. The table collapsed, almost all metal models were in pieces and a few of the plastics were broken as well.
It made me quit the hobby for over 2 years.

hush88
30-06-2009, 09:11

;(

OI.....that qualifies as manslaughter

pringles978
30-06-2009, 10:53
2000pt plague marine army, all metal. dropped whilst getting out of my car. didnt have the energy to put back together so my bits box got bigger, dut the defiler got used in a conversion so not all bad.

Dr. Hellbeast
30-06-2009, 10:55
The girlfriend more or less dumped me last night.

Reading this thread is pushing me over the edge. :cries:

Max1mum
30-06-2009, 10:56
I know of a reverse story,

This is all of how fate conspires agains the mini's. There is how ever a story ( several i bet ) of mini's getting back at the oppresive overlords that we are.

Perhaps this story should go to the Fantasy equivalent of this topic but you guys will have to forgive me ;-).

Anyway, does anybody here remember the old -metal- night goblins ? with the spears ? with the little hooks on the end ;-).

Imagine a regiment of 30 on a movement tray on a table.

now imagine a hobbyist that trips over something, not enough that he goes crashing down to the floor and makes the table flip over and impales everybody in the room with goblins that are catapulted.

But he did trip enough to feel the need to stablise him self, sadly for him he chose to do so by trying to use the table for support. End result was that he slammed his suport hand right in the middle of the goblins, palm first.

When he pulled his hand back up, there were 14 goblin spears impaled on his flesh, offcourse with the goblins still attached to them.

x-esiv-4c
30-06-2009, 11:40
Ahhh this brings back memories.

It was the year 2006 (I think). I was pushing my way through gradschool, living off Ramen Noodles and promises that this scholastic nightmare would be over soon. My only escape was one into the grimdark universe of the 41st Millenium. A few weeks before the Atlanta games day I started work on an entry. There was no chance I would get past first cut but hey....It was fun. I was working on a leman-russ-turned-defiler-nurgle conversion. I thought it was quite good. I worked on it up until the night before gamesday (which I told myself I would never do). In many ways it felt like a reflection of my academic work, always studying the night before an exam.

My painting workspace consisted of a wooden table with one of those spring stiffened desk lamps, you know the kind. It pivots like an elbow then you screw in the fastener in to keep it in place. I set the hull down as I continued to work on detailing of the base. I swiveled the bright light away to give my eyes a bit of a rest. I started detailing some of the brick work...Thing about bricks is that when you have them, there tends to be a lot of them. I carefully detailed each one, ensuring the base of the defiler to look engaging.

As I worked feverishly away, "it" started to happen. Much like the rivets being sheared on the Titanic, the desk lamp's hinge slowly....slowly gave way, allowing the head of the lamp to descend unnoticed. It must have happened over a period of half an hour. Unbeknownst to me, the head of the lamp was now just over the defiler. Another 10-15 minutes pass and my palms itch (something's awry) I look up and see my defiled shrouded by the hood of the desk lamp. I lift the hood and gaze upon the collapse hull of the defiler. The heat from the light bulb melted the plastic just long enough for it to deform past repair.

There aren't words colourful enough in the English language to describe my anger. Weeks of work sat there half melted. There was no way I could fix this! my mind raced, my heart thumped, how could this happen? I dropped the base and *facepalmed*.

I stood up and took a deep breath. There wasn't a reason to be angry, I mean...It's just a model, i'm sure in a few days i'll look back at this and laugh. It then occured to me that there was a scratching sound coming from the oven. I was as puzzled as you are. There shouldn't be anything in there, I haven't started dinner. I went to the stovetop and checked the settings. Oven was off....stovetop was off....What the hell?
Suddenly the oven door burst open and a tide of snake lizard mutants poured out.

"****! Honey, they found a way in!"

"What are you talking about sweetie?"

"The damn snake people!"

I backed up as the tide slithered across the kitchen floor. They were trying to block me in. As I was being cornered in I grabbed a tenderizing mallet and a bottle of wine. I broke the end off the bottle on the counter.

"Whats all that damn racket??" My wife called from the other room.

"Honey, get out! Save yourself" I yelled.

She cautiously walked into the kitchen to see what I was going on about. However, it wasn't the woman I married. It was one of those bipedal Ophidian-human mutants! It hissed vehemently. I looked at my improvised weapons, there was only one way out. Kill the queen.

"It's go time bitch. Lets dance".

DarkReaver
30-06-2009, 11:59
The girlfriend more or less dumped me last night.

Reading this thread is pushing me over the edge. :cries:

I feel your pain. Same thing for me right now excpet I was dumped almost one week ago.

Captain Micha
30-06-2009, 12:39
x-esiv-4c: That makes me feel better. haha. Tripping on melted plastic.

dodicula
30-06-2009, 13:20
I use 2 3X4 boards as a table at my house, and once, my opponent forgot that and put his heavy case on the edge of the board where my all metal rackham (rackham models are beutiful but have impossible joints) orc army we stationed and the weight of his case tilted the board toward the floor. I watched in horror as my models slid slowly down and hit the windowsill on their way down to the floor. I couldn't bring myself to speak to him for a month (which I spent gluing and re-pinning).

Another piece of advice (didn't happen to me but to a friend) If you have cats, don't leave your models on a shelf

Dr.Clock
30-06-2009, 17:52
The worst for me isn't really the all-at-once deaths - it's the ear and tear that slowly renders a force unusable... this has happened recently to my salamanders... with some reinforcements, though, they are slowly getting back to table-ready.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Mannimarco
30-06-2009, 18:02
dropped 1900 pts of imperial guard at a tournament at warhammer world

other player was using daemons so had nothing to deploy so came round to my side of the tabel and helped me find all those little broken off parts, didnt even have time to finish the game

good thing really cos i was having my ass handed to me (daemons had been out a fortnight so i didnt know how to fight them)

Grindgodgrind
30-06-2009, 18:05
Ummm, my local GW was broken into last year, and my army was ransacked. Nothing taken, but just about every one of my Panthers had to be rebuilt...

DarkstarSabre
30-06-2009, 18:05
Worst thing for me was getting scampi from a takeaway. Burning my hand on said scampi. Swearing and watching in horror as the plate fell from my lap, clipped the edge of my Imperial SM bits box and sent bits flying. Scampi and bolters there were everywhere.....and it took me an age to find and clean everything as peas, chips and batter fried scampi scattered.

Wraithseer
30-06-2009, 19:51
I think that this one will take the cake, A few years ago a buddy of mi decided that he wanted to start playing tyranids. Being the nice chaps we were we gave all of our tyrinid stuff to him, each one of the three people that chiped in had armies over 3000 points. these included probably about 200 gaunts 150 metal hormigaunts, 8 carnfexes of the classic and newly released beetle variety, 4 hive tyrands and a new queen alien style one that I had just put together. there were also alot of genestealers, the old plastic ones from space hulk and one original metal one. most were painted it was a wonder to behold that many bugs. I will not even think about how much that army cost in money or man hours. one day we asked him why he was playing marines instead of all of those tyranids we gave him, we had had a really fun 8000 point on a side game and we wanted to try it out again, he said that the army was broken. I could not believe that all of our collective stuff was just gone so I asked him what happend. Turns out that his parents had been moving a large window air conditioner and it had slipped and fell on the box that the army was in. We went to his house and he showed us the box full of brightly colored plastic and pewter chunks, it was amazing I have never seen metal crush and shear like that. My new hive tyrant was crushed and broken at the knees all that was left was a single plastic genestealer that I took home and named lucky....I am still kind of pissed about that because his parents did not reimburse or apologize to any of us.:mad:

Badger Mek
30-06-2009, 20:17
The only way I think my parents can punish me is by smashing my models, always they threaten me by breaking my armies so it always sucks to get in trouble as my armies are always up on the chopping block.... were they will pick up the box with my army inside it and just chuck it at the wall.

That is SO WRONG! That's like child abuse or teenager abuse or young adult abuse or whatever you might be.

Bet they wouldn't likeit if you did that wth their car: into their house.

badguyshaveallthefun
30-06-2009, 21:04
My sob story:
I was playing a game with my brothers in my parents garage. My parents let me store all my table tools and materials in their garage, on top of this desk/dresser combo. (the desk protrudes from the dresser about 14 inches or so) I had set up my 1750 Chaos army on the desk while they were waiting to be deployed onto the table. For some reason, I don't remember why, I had to get something out of the tote that was on the top of the dresser. Apparently I upset the balance of the tote when I took said object out, not drastically, but just enough to set in motion a chain of events that led to that tote falling off of the top shelf about 2 minutes later. It landed on my army, and sent bezerkers and chaos marines and parts of bezerkers and parts of chaos marines all over the garage. I never found all the pieces, I had to use my bitz box and several hours worth of work to fix and repaint everything. It sucked. It practically sapped my will to live for about 15 minutes or so.

Ekranoplan
30-06-2009, 21:51
Ive read all of these stories, and what always perplexes me are the stories of parent's who throw away their kid's stuff when they go away to college. I hear these stories all the time, and not just with minis. It happens frequently with pen and paper role playing books aswell.

Sir_Lunchalot
30-06-2009, 23:12
I agree with Badger Mek, destroying your stuff soudns like abuse, it would be considered vandalism if they didn't know you.

Chaplain Ark
01-07-2009, 03:46
i acidentally dropped my 1500 point black templars army, (including a predator and 5 terminators) into my neighbor's bonfire. It made a sweet paint fireball, but was very sad nonetheless.

Enfid
01-07-2009, 04:23
I never had any serious or irreversible damages to my minis (been playing for 5 years, knock on wood). I still let ppl pick up my minis and look at them and no one had dropped a single one yet. I do have two stories of ppl I know.

One was a kid who had a beautifully converted and painted imperial guardsman on a carnosaur. Then it somehow got dropped on the floor and someone stepped on it. I have no idea how many hours was spent in that thing, but it must have been a lot. He was on the verge of crying.

The other, he was crossing the streets with the GW carry case in his hand. He said during the cross he heard something that sounds like snapping plastic. Then some crashing sound. Then he feels his carry case gotten lighter. He stopped walking (in the middle of the street) and mumbled to himself with his face still forward, "That did not just happened".

He looked down and see all his minis spread across the street. He then went to frantically pick them all up. Fortunately some ppl saw it and helped him pick up the minis. Strangely, only his Tylion models was damaged. All the other Dark Elves stuff are perfectly ok. Don't ask me what Tylion is doing in there when he's a DE player.

But for everyone here, I feel sorry for all of you. Especially the damages that was other people's fault.

orange mash
01-07-2009, 08:32
about 2 months ago i fixed my lord of change witch had broken about a week
befor it took me 3 days because i had no tools for repering broken miniz
and had to use super glue gel (mutch better then normal super glue but still)

any way i just fixed the mini and i was rolling dice randomly and one off them hit it's beek whole model broke into every posable pice bar the staf i was so pissed but he has now been pined and hopefully that shal not happen agean

Witch King of Angmar
01-07-2009, 08:35
Well Look on the upside.....The Tanks didn't fall onto Them....

Worst mini problem i have had is my dire avengers bouncing off the floor =D

(I swear eldar models just don't break! from falling!)

Victimized
02-07-2009, 00:01
O.K. So I have a couple stories =(

The First. I recently bought about 4000 points of tyranids. In fact it was on June 14th. They were all unbuilt, unpainted minis. I decided that I would imediately start work. some four days later I have three zoanthropes, two tyrant gaurd, a carnifex, and the hive tyrant all wonderously painted. I am staying at my very religious grandparents house at the time mind you. I had just finished the tyrant, and decided to get some sleep. The next day i wake up to find that my nids are gone. not just the painted ones but ALL of them. My religious grandfather took it upon himself to claim exterminatus upon my bugs.

The next is a story of the Avatar. My "family" as I call them, Have a very beautiful work of art known as the Eldar army of rainbows. They have a very detailed avatar inside this army. Sadly, their grandfather is an artist.... and firmly insisted on looking at this individual piece. in ten seconds the avatar was in shambles. It was heart rending...

And finally we move to Ghazkull. My friend has had to purchace this individual some five odd times. he doesn't understand the concept of 'orks are not trained to jump pack'. He takes his anger levels down by letting people kill ghazkull, and then sling him across the room.

Very sad stories =[

sycopat
02-07-2009, 00:14
Ouch! Some real horror stories in this thread.

Worst thing that happened to me pales in comparison, but I'll relate it anyway.

Back when I was a kid(And new minis a rare and wondrous thing) I used to collect lizardmen. One christmas I got a load of new minis, and spent the next few days splashing paint on them and getting them somewhat battle ready.

Being a kid in a small house the only area we had to play was the floor, so me and my brother set up our forces and proceeded to start the game. Soon it was dinner time and we all went to go and get fed christmas dinner for the umpteenth time, when my youngest brother decided to take a shorcut through the battlefield.

Now rather than say, step around the armies carefully, which was possible, he decided to jump over it.

And landed squarely on top of my brand new Slann Mage Priest and Temple guard.

I still haven't let him live it down.

LonelyPath
02-07-2009, 00:15
@ Victimized - I hope you get reimursed for your lost Nids, that's heartbreaking to think he'd do that to you. Whether he agrees with it or not, it's theft so remind him that HE broke one of the commandments he lives by.

I almost had a catastrophe last week. I was cleaning my shelves when one full of large, heavy books collapsed onto the other below where I keep my GK army. Thankfully I'd already cleared most of the army out to dust or there would have been over 200 of broken and crushed metal. However, still on the shelf were my my dreadnoughts which did get a bit bashed and broken. Thankfully I was able to fix them and retouch the paint.

Victimized
02-07-2009, 00:35
@ lonelypath- My grandmother bought them. He didn't like the way she spent the money he worked for =/

Kouzuki
02-07-2009, 03:26
Wow... all these stories of the GW Cases giving way... good thing I went for Battlefoam right away!

Kirill
02-07-2009, 03:33
Recently, i might have maybe been motioning with my hand across the gaming board in a quick motion backwards so express something.
A building might have gotten in the way of my hand.
Said building may have been full of a friends guardsmen. possibly a lot of them.
The building might have crashed down onto the table and small guardsmen and heavy weapons teams might have scattered everywhere.
the owner of the guardsmen might have also curled up in a corner and cried or laughed hysterically to save from crying.
Though nothing was damaged, 'cept his mind.
It may have also been the fourth time something like this has happened to his poor guardsmen recently. The other gamers in our group tend to say "At least they're only guardsmen" which i feel only serves to amplify his pain..
It's a safe assumption he has cried more at my house than at any other time or place in his life. He's twenty.

There's been a lot of "Oh.. my god i want to die" at my house. And the large proportion of it stems from Warhammer.

noobzilla
02-07-2009, 03:42
My mother and I got into a "Who can break more of the other's stuff fight" one time because we both are hot-heads and we were fighting, and she threw something down very solidly on my Tau, and snapped almost all of my suits off their bases and destroyed 2 flying stands. Needless to say, I had to find new bases for my Commander who is now deployed on a former Heavy Weapons team base, and had a lot of work to fix the rest of them. :(

tacoo
02-07-2009, 03:48
my parents knoe not to get into any of those kind of fights with me, when i was 12 we had a fight like that, they threw my tv down the stairs and in response i tipped over there VERY expensive plasma screen tv, and put a nice long scratch across the car. one time they threatened to throw my models out the window and i grabed hold of the New plasma screen tv, needless to say they put down my minis.

TheOverlord
02-07-2009, 04:16
... Quite a few people here and their parents need some therapy I think...

Breaking each other's stuff is just not... healthy.

Kouzuki
02-07-2009, 04:17
my parents knoe not to get into any of those kind of fights with me, when i was 12 we had a fight like that, they threw my tv down the stairs and in response i tipped over there VERY expensive plasma screen tv, and put a nice long scratch across the car. one time they threatened to throw my models out the window and i grabed hold of the New plasma screen tv, needless to say they put down my minis.

"my tv down the stairs." implies you owned the thing at an age of 12... which I highly doubt.

TheOverlord
02-07-2009, 04:45
Well you know how family is, buy something for your kid and it becomes his/hers. It's a family thing, actual ownership be damnned.

Chaplain Ark
02-07-2009, 04:55
Well you know how family is, buy something for your kid and it becomes his/hers. It's a family thing, actual ownership be damnned.

ah how true that is.

my parents actually just yesterday, threw away 8 incubi and 30 DE warriors that i was colecting. Im still not talking to them.

Kouzuki
02-07-2009, 05:41

a very Western point of view. *sigh...*

Hypaspist
02-07-2009, 06:25
Well I have been fairly *touch wood* lucky with my models, but the worst I have ever heard about was one of the blue shirts down at Games Workshop Worcester (he has moved on since then) This was a couple of years back when the rain went crazy in England for a day or two.
His house got flooded, and his geek room was in the basement.

I can only imagine his pain of having an 8000 point Guard army utterly ruined by a flood......

Geep
02-07-2009, 06:40
I can only imagine his pain of having an 8000 point Guard army utterly ruined by a flood...... But Chimeras are submersible... why didn't the guard board their transports? Seriously though this must have hurt.

How can anyone have their models just thrown out by your parents? I really don't understand.

I used to show my dad my newly painted minis over dinner, and on more than one occassion the model would slip and land in the food. One model I was very proud of, and jokingly said 'don't drop it in your food this time'. He was very careful holding it... until it suddenly snapped and landed in his food. I should have learnt...

MegaPope
02-07-2009, 11:33
The worst I've had was a box of five prospective Golden Demon entries sent flying by a flailing arm - onto concrete - in the ******* QUEUE for the NIA!!!

I was not impressed, but did a quite a good job of hiding it, given the circumstances. So good in fact, that the individual responsible, who was known to me at the time from my local GW, spent about one year in absolute fear of me, thinking that my rapid forgiveness and acceptance was some kind of prelude to an appallingly painful vengeance ;).

I actually really like repairing the consequences of other people's misfortunes (thankfully to date - touch wood - I almost never cause them) - I've found it tends to make you quite popular :D

Gdolkin
02-07-2009, 12:19
i acidentally dropped my 1500 point black templars army, (including a predator and 5 terminators) into my neighbor's bonfire. It made a sweet paint fireball, but was very sad nonetheless.
...?? How did you manage to 'accidentally' drop your own army into a bonfire? Standing next to it chatting with the box in your arms and suddenly having a spasm?

Dr. Hellbeast
02-07-2009, 13:02

Shame you didn't have an army of Flame Falcons. They'd have probably been alright.

Woohoo, I'm a Librarian now!!!

Tokamak
02-07-2009, 13:14
Personally I'm always paranoid that one day I'm playing against a psycho who can't stand losing and starts trashing my army. It's a minor phobia.

Bodies were in half, arms missing, decapitations, weapons forced off of platforms and other atrocities. It seemed like my entire army had been destroyed by one accident of fate. One cruel twist had sent countless hours tumbling to the hard and cruel floor, smiting my minis and laying them asunder.

Either your army is all metal or you used super glue on plastic models. There's no way plastig-glued minis break like that from a drop to the floor.

And how can an army be ruined by a flood? What kind of paints do people use? I've tried everything to strip paint of minis and I tell you, miniatures are thoroughly water resistant.

Captain Micha
02-07-2009, 13:19
Well, some of them were assembled with some most likely defective glue, and I paint my men on the sprue (with guard I've found that's the only way to stay sane is to Assembly Line Paint them).

Also, guardsmen are a pretty poorly designed set as far as their assembly goes. No sockets (except the neck). So they are frighteningly vulnerable to being dropped.

Switch_uk
02-07-2009, 13:30
Thankfully I have never had any major drops or falls the weirdest thing i have had is a couple of years ago i once droped my abbadon model without noticing as i was moving stuff around my house my girlfriend who was behind me at the time saw it fall and went to pick it up, to my serprise the model was unharmed what scared me the most was as she was handing it to me it just fell apart and it wasnt that she was crushing it as it was in her open palm on its base.

From that point on I dubed her the destroyer of models anything she touched falls to pieces

Bookwrak
02-07-2009, 13:31

Actually no, no it's not.

Victimized
03-07-2009, 13:17
New tragedy as of 3:47 a.m. on 3 July, 2009

my friends Leman Russ Demolisher decided to take a one way trip into hell and took my CC 'Fex with it.... My 'Fex lost all the spikes and extra asthetics on it, pluss the claws. The demolisher got booted out the window in my fury.

Hypaspist
03-07-2009, 13:22
How exactly did the leman russ take out the fex?

P.S. Booting your friend's models around is not exactly conducive to keeping a friendship..

electricwolf
03-07-2009, 13:42
My move before last, after i moved i opened up the box that had my tanks in it to find than my now ex-roommate had just thrown the box into the truck and most of my 10 tanks were in some sort of broken state.

Armour is something i love to paint and model and to see these tanks that i had put alot of work into, in such a state threw me off modeling for 6-8 months.

Victimized
03-07-2009, 13:53
He dropped it with his nasty greasy fingers during a horrendous sneeze. It fell on my Fex. I booted the P O' S out. and he bought me a new fex so it worked for me =] don't have to put up with that cannon and my fex has that sweet new I'm gonna eat you smell =D

Loki73
03-07-2009, 14:53
I saw a guy at a FOW tourney drop a whole army of US armored infantry. If you are familiar with the line they are detailed and some are made of resin.

snowcloak
03-07-2009, 17:11
I travelled from Denmark to Ireland to take part in the first irish GT a few years back, and wisely packed my models into a suitably sized case that I could take with me into the cabin. An hour of medium to heavy turbulence and cabin pressurization later, every single model in my army was either bent out of shape in some weird manner or broken. We're alking 120 guardsmen, 4 sentinels, 3 chimearas, all messed up. It took me 4 hours to fix the army up enough to play the games with it. Fortunately I had time, but still.. the most gruelling 4 hours of my life so far...

BrotherCaptainS
03-07-2009, 23:29
At gd chicago 07 I took my gw case in cause I entered some models in the gold deamon. Well instead of lugging my case around I checked it in at the bag check. Went and did all the fun stuff and then decided to do some open gaming. Went back to get my case and gave them the ticket stub. Then promptly they came back and showed me the carnage. They dropped my case and the only mini to live was my custom termie captain. 50 models in pieces. The justly compensated me though.

LonelyPath
04-07-2009, 00:14
@ lonelypath- My grandmother bought them. He didn't like the way she spent the money he worked for =/

Since they were still yours, it's still stealing and just wrong to do :(

George Dorn
04-07-2009, 07:14
There's a brand of cases in the UK called Really Useful Boxes, one module is just right to fit those foam trays in, with a codex or two slipped snugly down the front.

They're pretty tough and snappy, allowing you to stack them together and so on, quite high if you want to.

No, that didn't happen. What did was a box of vehicles, placed in the container on a grippy rubber carpet liner to stop slippage cocked over on the rear car seat, making horrid noises. So far so bad - I didn't have the heart to look inside just then, the semi-transparent box plastic let me see that the models were all jumbled up inside.

So carefully righting the box and leaving it overnight, I came to it later to find that the rubbery carpet liner had too much of liking for the paint on the models than was good for them. Peeling the stuff off, together with few streaks of paint here and there was worse than pulling plasters off hairy skin.

slingersam
04-07-2009, 08:44
My mother and I got into a "Who can break more of the other's stuff fight" one time because we both are hot-heads and we were fighting, and she threw something down very solidly on my Tau, and snapped almost all of my suits off their bases and destroyed 2 flying stands. Needless to say, I had to find new bases for my Commander who is now deployed on a former Heavy Weapons team base, and had a lot of work to fix the rest of them. :(

Dude me and you have the same MOMS except my mom and me are stubborn. I don't dare break her stuff but she loves to break mine.

DigbyWeapon
04-07-2009, 13:29
Jeeze, that's bad.
I've had large scale air strikes on my minis.
Doesn't get much worse than a size 13 shoe for a poor elf :(
*Edit* i thought i might also mention my friends brother stopped all of my mates whfb goblins.

- Digby

bobbles
04-07-2009, 14:58

Explain how.

Deetwo
04-07-2009, 15:18
I once accidentally SAT on my (old edition) tyranid army, which contained some thirty odd hormagaunts, two double scythe tyrants, two fexes, three lictors..
That's a LOT of pointy things in the backside... not to mention most of that is pretty fragile stuff :D

Then there's my daughter, who has a habit of jumping on my Army Transport, which is a pretty soft bag...

DigbyWeapon
05-07-2009, 02:48
Explain how.

Probably because people who aren't in the west cant afford more than one television :p
*Jokes jokes*

Enialas
06-07-2009, 12:09
The worst catastrophe I've ever seen happened about 8 years ago. One of the guys at the store I play at forgot to take his roughly 500 point fully painted Eldar army out of the trunk of his car in the middle of july with 100+ degree days. All of his plastic tanks, vypers, jetbikes and other assorted infantry were warped almost beyond recognition and far beyond repair. The metal models all had to be stripped and rebased, since the heat caused paint to peel off the models.

Benzan
06-07-2009, 13:39
Hm, not really had a ny models broken in such a way that I couldn't repair them but...

In 1999 I had a old Undead army of 4-5000ish points stored at my local game store/club as I went to work abroad over the summer. When I came back I found a letter at home.
"Store closing at xx date. Come and get your stuff etc."
That date was about 1 month before I got home and I never managed to get hold of any of the store owners again.
That kinda sucked :eyebrows:

Captain Micha
06-07-2009, 13:40
Wow... that sucks Benzan.

Nals
06-07-2009, 13:45
yeah several years back i went over seas to Germany for several weeks and when i got home it became quit clear that someone had thrown away my high elf lord and his dragon...sad days

Benzan
06-07-2009, 13:52
Wow... that sucks Benzan.

I wasn't very happy atm.

Nowadays The things I miss the most is to be able to compare the old models with newer ones. to see how my painting and such has improved. And the old vampire Lord on steed from the Ring of blood campain. Imo one of the best Vampires to be made.

DigbyWeapon
08-07-2009, 10:04
I wasn't very happy atm.

Nowadays The things I miss the most is to be able to compare the old models with newer ones. to see how my painting and such has improved. And the old vampire Lord on steed from the Ring of blood campain. Imo one of the best Vampires to be made.

That's really sad man. :(
Have you built up a new army since?

Benzan
08-07-2009, 10:39
That's really sad man. :(
Have you built up a new army since?

All to many. Since I've been in the hobby since 93 I've collected a few. Mostly 40k where I have Bloodangels, nidz, a small eldar force, Tau and SoB. Sold 2 Ork armies.
In fantasy I've got a 2,5k skaven army and about 1k TK.

Eldar and Space marines for Epic. Orcs in Battlefleet Gothic. Some Skavvies for Necromunda, a small Morker mob for Gorkamorka and a Nurgle warband for path to glory (I think it's called that at least).

Add loose models that don't really fit anywhere.
Way to much for my wifes liking. :)

Arbiter7
08-07-2009, 11:40
A friend of mine and regular gaming buddy managed to persuade some other friends including his own girlfriend and my own to cash in and get me a FW Revenant Titan for my 26th birthday.

After spending around 6 hours washing, cleaning, filing, clipping, pinning, gluing I finally went to the roof of my apartment building to undercoat it.

I had him in a very dramatic pose, after the fashion of a FW one in the FW website, standing on just one leg.

This choice of posing had the unfortunate side-effect that the whole titan oscillated whenever it was carried around. The bad part was that the point that bore the stress of the oscillation was that one flimsy, thin part between the models' foot and leg.

After undercoating I was coming down the stairs, and it must have been about five steps before I reached my door that a final oscillation occured, resulting in the flimsy part breaking and me watching the brand new titan fall to a marble floor about 1.5 meters or 5 feet below me.

I have to say that I'm quite proud of the pinning I had done, because very few parts actually broke loose. Both arms and the back spire. Oh and the other foot too.

It now rests firmly pinned and glued with epoxy glue and further supports that have moved the oscillation central point to a much sturdier part of the model, dramatically reducing the oscillation width (and the stress).

Happy ending after all :P (I hope)

Dark Primus
08-07-2009, 11:56
Never have dropped an entire army before, but I did drop my Landraider once, and it fell and smashed in to the floor with a sickening sound. And it was shattered in peices. :eek:

Daicon
08-07-2009, 12:55
I've had my fair share of miniature based carnage occur when my gaming group gathers. One incident that stands out pretty clearly in my mind involved a doubles game where I had been playing DoC. After what I had first considered a somewhat fortunate scatter, my Bloodthirster was left within an inch or so of the table edge. Unfortunately for him, my friend's cat happened to be in the room and decided it wanted to be on the table. So, with a quick jump it landed beside my poor daemon, and with a quicker swish of it's tail sent the model falling to the floor. Both wings snapped off along with the arm that held the whip. -.-; Needless to say, I was not amused. Likewise, the bloodthirster, suffering from shell shock I imagine, proceeded to roll no better than a two for the rest of his brief stay on the table.

pookie
08-07-2009, 15:43
Cats seem to have a thing for damaging Models!

Mortiarion42
09-07-2009, 02:43
Just a few days ago. I had finished a Blood Angels Assault Terminator squad, and a custom Terminator Sorcerer for my Death Guard. I set them aside while I'm working on something else. I spill skull white all over the Terminator Sgt. and the Sorcerer. Had to repaint both figures almost all over again.

Wolfguard Gnarl
10-07-2009, 02:49
Thank you all for sharing all your catastrophe's in this thread, it has really taught me alot on how to keep my army safe such as, make sure your carry case is latched before picking it up, keep your army away from heat, dont lend your army to friends, and most importantly, before you set up your army make sure you throw all cats and bratty kids out the window :D

slingersam
10-07-2009, 08:29
I'm on a road trip today with my family anyway as I'm moving some boxes around the car, I accidentally put a box containing my armies in them, well by brother pushes a couple more boxes around and shoves my army overboard, sending my armies face down and on to the cement. Total times my armies been smashed: 6

Cluveru
10-07-2009, 08:42
Thieves broke into my car a few days ago. Items stolen: Car radio, jump starter, spare fuel.. oh and roughly 1500 points of (mostly painted) tyranids:-( My tyranid army now consists of 8 spore mines and a ravener. Fortunately insurance should cover it, but the countless hours spendt painting it *cry*.

shadow hunter
10-07-2009, 08:58
Not read the entire thread. I've not had anything major happen to me - but I was at a club a long time ago - and two other people were gaming when somehow the table got knocked over (it was 2 a frames supporting a board) - obviously there was a loud crash, and 2 x 1500 points of 40k armies tumbled to their doom.

I gotta admit to being cruel, and laughing my bollox off (along with about 10 others)

Weed_Bix
10-07-2009, 08:59
well i have a story of a near incident and a terrible joke that followed.

The day was over in club and so the packing up had to ensue which everyone takes part in,
Now hear i was packing up making sure all my necrons were placed in my case when alas taking
my Monolith from point A to point B it falls on the hard ground but oh my it survived followed by a terrible comment
now i pray for forgiveness but i commented along the lines of
"Well Thats Armour Value 14 for you"
My gosh did i say that anywho plz forgive me for the terrible joke but it was an incident avoided, But indeed my heart sank at first.

Sholto
10-07-2009, 09:06
I used to keep all my Tau vehicles and broadsides, which included FW units like a Barracuda, Remoras and Turrets in a cardboard box. Inspired by some Tau-hating daemon whispering in my ear, I proceeded to store said box on the top shelf of my concrete-floored garage.

One morning, eating my breakfast, a hideous, muffled crash.

You can imagine the rest. If you like Tau, it's probably best if you don't.

Sholto

Industrial Propaganda
10-07-2009, 09:30
Two years ago, my girlfriend let fall my Forgeworld Bloodthirster on the floor ... Resin isn't as solid as plastic or metal.... :cries:

Dark Primus
10-07-2009, 09:55
Two years ago, my girlfriend let fall my Forgeworld Bloodthirster on the floor ... Resin isn't as solid as plastic or metal.... :cries:

NO! NO! The horror. The horror. :cries:
Myself is a FW Bloodthirster owner and I don't want to see it destroyed.

bnrweimann
10-07-2009, 23:44
Only one serious catastrophe in my years of playing. Packing my army at the end of the day while talking to my friends. Didn't notice that I hadn't fastened the latches on one of the cases. Quickly picked up the case and turned toward the store door. Just to have 3 Vypers, 2 wraithlords, 3 war walkers and various jetbikes and weapon platforms with crews fly out of the box and slam into the wall/floor. Not a happy day. My Eldar had won best-painted in two seperate tourneys. And now most of my fast-attack and heavy choices were now junk....Not a happy day...

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-07-2009, 02:21
I thought the GW figure case was closed when I propped it up and the next thing I hear is the chilling sound of 100 Gaunts and 8 Genestealers bouncing across the floor.

My words: "If there's one thing being a Tyranid player has taught me, it's complacency."

My thoughts: 'Sonofamother****ing ****-**** **** ***** *** **** *** in the *********** *** **** **** **** **** **** *****!'

Lesson learned: Tyranids are fragile if you don't use plastic glue.

LoneSniperSG
11-07-2009, 02:32
Oh the humanity!
Needless to say I couldn't bring myself to continue the game, because I was too busy picking up the pieces of my brave but apparently suicidal minis. Has anyone else had a mass army suicide?

Yup. I didn't have much of anything broken, though. It was a meter's fall onto shag carpet. The only things that came off were one bolter and one jump pack.

My accident was really strange too. I had set my big army case down, apparently without closing it, and when I tried to pull it onto my lap, 60 Space Wolves took a dive to the floor. First thing after the sound like glass shattering was, "DUDE! DID YOU RIP MY COUCH?!"

I must have built my marines pretty solid, I swear. When my little brother got ahold of them one day, the only "damage" he did was to snap a cav base off a bike. Something I had been trying to do for days!

I don't doubt it. Depending on how big that plas-tv is, it's probably way more expensive than little plastic and metal men.

Ta'laan
11-07-2009, 02:57
I don't recall ever have anything serious happen, but I did have a figure case fall open as I was taking it out of my car after getting home from an evening's gaming. Figures spilled all over the car and the driveway and even though it was dark I thought I got them all. Until 2 days later, a lone Striking Scorpion turned up on the grass next to the drive. He was seriously stealthy. ;)

And when Cities of Death was new, my friend and I played it a lot and one particularly tall building/ruin usually ended up occupied by his Space Marine scouts. Unfortunately, it was such a tall piece of scenery, it frequently got knocked (mostly by my arms when not paying attention) and every game at least a couple of the squad would tumble several stories to the board, chipping the paint in the process. That squad quickly became known as the 101st Lemming Division. ;)

trestrong
11-07-2009, 13:08
my space marine sargent has done multiple suicides i just keep repairing him then he takes another leap its realy annoying

eltanko
11-07-2009, 14:05
The metal Devastators are the worst, they constantly fall over and the damn arms break off, gawd knows how many times i have to re-stick them! grrrrrrr

ElTanko

shaso_iceborn
11-07-2009, 14:10
A guy I play with lost an eye literally to old edition goblin spearmen by tripping into the gaming table worst for me was about 5000 points of chaos and close to 4000 Squats in lost in a house fire insurance covered it but can't replace the old squats

antin3
11-07-2009, 15:28
Well it isn't an accident where something was crushed or broken but...I have been in the hobby since around '93. I had bought an old Armorcast titan and about 10 to 15 squats from ebay. I was living with a roomate and met someone so it was moving out time. Being a single guy I had everything in separate trash bags. Clothes, miniatures, my books, everything. So I move into my new place and realize that my titan and squats had apparently been set out with the trash.
I was seriously bummed out. I have bought and sold many,many armies since '93 but to lose models sucks.
And just on a side note and completely off topic from my story. I can't believe that some parents and kids act the way that I have been reading. I would try to get some help, seriously. Either that or get away from them and get out on your own.

matthew_swifty
11-07-2009, 22:04
Haha...first major fantasy game about 5 or so years ago.

I wasn't nearly as honest as I am now (being about 13 at the time) and I made up a spell that my Slann mage priest could cast. It basically went that it was automatically cast with no dispel attempt allowed and I could pick up a piece of terrain, move it and drop it on any unit against me, automatically destroying it. I did this to a Skaven Screaming Bell and boy was the guy screaming.

He went up to me and the Slann and said "If my Screaming Bell is dead, so is ********** him!" he then proceeded to kick my slann (old one with bearers) across the room, shattering him into constituent parts (and worse) I never found all the bits. The funny thing was that this guy then sat in the middle of the floor (playing on there) right on a unit of Stormvermin with their pointy halberds...Rofl :D

Another time was when I insisted that I carried my mate's hydra up the stairs in a cardboard box (the old one). I slipped and fell on the box, opening it up...all the heads had fallen off...

Brother Alexos
12-07-2009, 01:08
I was playing this guy who collected imperial guard (my first game) and when we were playing, his wife showed up with his daughter... It has to be the oddest thing that my marines rockets and meltas couldn't bust a leman russ but a two year old could do it without trying

Bodysnatcher
12-07-2009, 08:45
At devourer I opened the lid of the limited edition steel ammo box that came with the 5th ed. gamers pack.

Heard a crunch.

One of my beautiful forgeworld broadsides was underneath and its ankle joints were mushed. It's repaired, but he still walks with a limp.

Twisted
12-07-2009, 09:58
What is wrong with some of the parents in this thread? "Breaking each other stuff fights"?

Good lord. My parents are proud I have a hobby I put time and care to :P

On the subject of catastrophes, I dropped my converted Land Raider Crusader (lots of weapon swaps and things) as I was getting it down from its shelf. Realising my mistake, I immediately shifted my slippered feet in the way of it. It landed on my feet, severely bruising my right toe (nail nearly came off), but the raider itself was unharmed.

I consider this a win in the models vs gravity department.

Industrial Propaganda
12-07-2009, 10:08
What is wrong with some of the parents in this thread? "Breaking each other stuff fights"?

Never heared about that. This is just too sick. Weird "culture of education" in some countries :S

djinn8
12-07-2009, 17:56
Nothing to serious for me, but the same minor accident has happend to me twice in as many months. I go to close my tool box and haven't layed everything over 40mm high on its side. Crunch! Time to get the glue out and start putting snapped of hands and weapons back on.

Raven Down
12-07-2009, 18:36
I have Two tales of Woe,

- A friend a while back left his Necron Pylon and Four Monoliths in the backseat of his car,The heat became so intense that the poor plastic constructs warped into deformity.Luckily resin appeares to be made of tougher stuff as the Pylon only bent slightly which was easily fixed.

- My own was the sparkiling new Eldar Revenant I bought,First venture out with it,I went to a Apoc games as one does when you own Super-heavies.We finished on a happy note and went out to get some lunch, As we left the table their was a sickening crack followed by a crunch as the table was knocked and buckled.
40 000 points of Guard,Marine,Eldar,Tau have gon slamming into the earth,Picking up all the mini's was painful until we finished and the marine player spoke out that his emperors champion was missing,A quick look around found the chap ..... With his blade lodged in the Head of my Titan.

maze ironheart
12-07-2009, 18:44
Harsh sorry about your imperial guard army I had something happen to me but not as wide spread I had my gyro coppter in a shoe box and I went to get a list from my bag when I knocked the box by mistake and now the gyros blades won't go on at all.So it is annoying but I'll have to come up with a new way to convert the gyro perhaps make it into a plain but your not giving up on 40k are you.

tacoo
12-07-2009, 23:18
lol, the emperors champ deservers the title, he took down a eldar titan all on his own

Kholdaimon
12-07-2009, 23:51
I had 2 disasters like this, 1 of which (I think, since I havent read everything) will win the prize for most bizarre destruction of table top miniatures... But first something I am still really pissed about...

In my old town, where I grew up, we had a very laidback store which had a gaming basement with a vault in it where you could keep your armies. People were really considerate and I had never lost anything or had anything touched unless I was asked before hand, so I kept most of my O&G in there, including many OOP and converted models, basicly everything I had painted (about 3000 points of O&G)... The store wasnt doing so well, so at some point it got sold to a new owner (still remained a gaming store), the store was closed for refurbishing and such for 1 week. After the week I come into the store, go to the vault, almost 2000 points worth of my O&G is gone and especially my conversions and OOP models... I first thought someone was borrowing them or the owner (or friends that helped him get the place in order) had taken them to keep them safe or somesuch, but no matter who I asked or called, everyone said they hadnt seen them... :(
And I am such a slow painter :(

And now the most bizarre:
We were playing a tiny tournament (6 people, just everyone plays vs everyone) at a friends house in his back yard because it was a beautifull day and he could take all the tables outside. We were just packing up for the day when the guy's father comes by to take out his horse that was grazing in the field next to the yard. He takes out the horse and tries to walk it through the yard. Something spokes the horse and it goes wild and comes running for us, it plants his 2 hoofs right on top of 2 of my boxes with Orcs in it... Stomping hooves and plastic models don't mix... :(
And I am such a slow painter... :(

Victimized
18-07-2009, 07:45
My cat recently ate a Carnifex of my friends.

eyescrossed
18-07-2009, 07:55
My cat recently ate a Carnifex of my friends.

Did you say "ate"? O.O

Vote Kantor
19-07-2009, 07:30
One word: Floorhammer, <shudders>

-Grimgorironhide-
19-07-2009, 10:24
Not a mini break story but a mini painting catastrophe.
I was just touching up and finishing painting my Orc warboss who I had spend ages on painting to almost a GD standard. As I went to pick him up to base him I hadn't noticed my hand had bits of undried Graveyard earth on them from doing the base trim.
So as you can tell my boss ended up with brown paint smudges all over his back, left arm, face and left leg.
I felt like I was about to weep but I did pull my self together and spent ages cleaning him all up.

I pray that never happens again.

cheers.

Thoume
19-07-2009, 10:31
The only disaster I remember having was opening one of the old flip-top paints and having that explode everywhere, but nothing miniature related (touch wood)

Dannage
19-07-2009, 11:14
I've had a few army sized knock backs. Fortunately for me, I'm rubbish at painting and converting, so it's pretty much just sigh, pick all the bits up and then glue em back together again. I don't think any of the paint was damaged, but then, you probably couldn't tell. I paint like a three year old, blindfolded. :)