PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Ogre Tournement Lists, Help me Decide or Alter

timtimmy
02-01-2006, 05:57
I have 2 lists I am debating taking to a local tournement soon. I know people say they aren't a tournement army but i feel like giving them a shot. Here is the first list:

Tyrant-273
Kineater, Cathayan Long Sword, Wyrd Stone Necklace, Heavy Armor, Brace of Handguns

Butcher-155
Bangstick

Butcher-155
Dispel Scroll

7 Iron Guts-356
Standard

7 Bulls-300
Standard, Iron Fist

7 Bulls-300
Standard, Iron Fist

3 Bulls-105

11 Trappers-66

2 Maneaters-172
Brace of Handguns

1 Rhinox Calvary-116
Heavy Armor, Iron Fist

Models: 41
Power Dice:6
Dispel Dice:4

The trappers are used either a screen for the main units or against armies without lots of shooting are march blockers. The big blocks should be able to hammer through any unit in the game especially with the butcher magic that should get through most armies. The maneaters whittle ranks off units before the blocks charge and hold the flank, the rhinox rider is included to fight alongside the 3 bulls who will take the other flank. That is pretty much the plan with this list.

The second list is:

Tyrant-273
Kineater, Cathayan Long Sword, Wyrd Stone Necklace, Heavy Armor, Brace of Handguns

Butcher-180
Bangstick, Dispel Scroll

Butcher-155
Dispel Scroll

7 Iron Guts-356
Standard

7 Bulls-300
Standard, Iron Fist

7 Bulls-300
Standard, Iron Fist

20 Gnoblars-40

20 Gnoblars-40

2 Maneaters-172
Brace of Pistols

2 Maneaters-172
Brace of Pistols

same basic idea, the gnoblars are there to add ranks if neccesary but mainly used as a screen for the hitters, it may slow the line but more ogres will make it in the long run. Each flank is a maneater unit that will charge when the time is right, hopefully to negate rank bonus's.

So let me know what you think, Thanx

oma
02-01-2006, 12:09
i like bouth list's, but i'm not sure if you have a good enough magic defense.. 4 dispeldice is not enough if the opponent has more than 2 wizards, thats my oppinion.. i'm alslo a bit unsure about the 2 bulls units with 7 models.. you may be a bit better of with splitting them up? have 2 units with 4 and one with 6? or another expanable uint with 3 bulls, one with 7 and one with 4?

and in my oppinion ALL the brace of pistols is waste, much better of having Strength 7

Cpt. Drill
02-01-2006, 15:17
Yous will be far more efficeint with units of 4 ogres!

Also you will want to get some Leadbelchers in there....

Your Maneaters wil be alot better if you give them a cathayan long sword and a great weapon in each unit...

And if you are going to have rhinox you want at least two in the unit... it will make the be able to break rank file infantry or repel cav charges!

timtimmy
02-01-2006, 19:24
i like bouth list's, but i'm not sure if you have a good enough magic defense.. 4 dispeldice is not enough if the opponent has more than 2 wizards, thats my oppinion.. i'm alslo a bit unsure about the 2 bulls units with 7 models.. you may be a bit better of with splitting them up? have 2 units with 4 and one with 6? or another expanable uint with 3 bulls, one with 7 and one with 4?

and in my oppinion ALL the brace of pistols is waste, much better of having Strength 7

-Magic Defense has to be the low point in my list because it costs so much for Ogres so i'll just have to hope most people don't have magic crazy armies

-Breaking up one of the Bull units is a good idea, but i'll keep the other together as i like having 2 big hammers to drop on the enemy

-I have found braces of handguns to be awesome. You get two shots on the move that hit on 4's to skim off ranks of units you plan on hitting plus it adds an attack to your maneaters, meaning they have 5 attacks now where as all i get out of a great weapon is the ability to kill chariots and hit last and while a cathayan longsword is awesome i found that i need the flexibility offered by the handguns far outweighs them if your only playing 2000 points

timtimmy
02-01-2006, 19:33
Yous will be far more efficeint with units of 4 ogres!

Also you will want to get some Leadbelchers in there....

Your Maneaters wil be alot better if you give them a cathayan long sword and a great weapon in each unit...

And if you are going to have rhinox you want at least two in the unit... it will make the be able to break rank file infantry or repel cav charges!

-I have found that 4 man units of ogres rarely break ranked infantry units if you are playing against:
a. Heavy infantry style army
b. An army with decent shooting
c. A decently magic heavy army since you can't protect so many units with gut magic.

On the charge and assuming the ogres have the extra attack that is 16 attacks, 8 of which hit resulting in 6-10 wounds(depending on the toughness of the opponent) and that includes bull rushing, plus a standard. A 20 man unit will have 5 to start with so even if you wipe out the front rank and they only get 2 attacks back they will probably only lose by 1 or 2 and that isn't that hard of a break test to make (for most tournement armies) and you don't have enough US to cause autobreak. That doesn't even take into account the loss of a single ogre causing a panic check for the unit and seriously reducing the chance of breaking a unit.

-I'm also not a fan of the randomness of leadbelchers, the threat they present as a deterent againt light calvary is also present by the not blowing themselves up maneater with handguns and bonecruncher from the butchers so i don't see where they would fit into this list.

-I already mentioned my thoughts of the maneaters but will probably try out that combo as well as the tournement is a month away and i'm in the building stage

-As for the rhinox i'm trying to find the points to squeeze in another one, maybe dropping the iron fist on both bull units and the gnoblars to fit a second one

oma
02-01-2006, 20:30
it is not too magic heavy to have 3 lv 2 wizards

timtimmy
02-01-2006, 20:43
True but that is only 8 power dice, so that means 1-2 spells getting through a turn if they don't fail to cast anything. Also most magic can't be cast into combat so i should be fine after 3 magic phases tops since i should be in combat and line rolling by then. And if they have 5 dispell dice which means that at least 1-2 of my units will be magic resistance 2 when the time comes to deal with offensive magic. By magic heavy i meant i would worry about a wizard lord and 2 level 2's or more. I should be able to blunt anything less than 10 powerdice as my dwarves currently manage quite well.

Other than that my only real thought is that i don't have another 130 points for another butcher and 1 more dispel dice. Anti magic is extremely expensive in the ogre list so you just have to deal. Their toughness and sheer number of wounds should go a long way toward blunting most offensive magics.