PDA

View Full Version : Like or Hate Assembling the Thunderfire Cannon

hush88
30-06-2009, 07:55
I have never had much issues with assembling models, no matter how many parts. Lately i have been trying to assemble this Thunderfire Cannon that i got a while back, and nothing fits properly. I really feel like melting the entire model. Anyone out there has any comments about assembling the Thunderfire Cannon?

Dr. Hellbeast
30-06-2009, 08:14
I have never had much issues with assembling models, no matter how many parts. Lately i have been trying to assemble this Thunderfire Cannon that i got a while back, and nothing fits properly. I really feel like melting the entire model. Anyone out there has any comments about assembling the Thunderfire Cannon?

I've heard it's a real bitch to put together.

I had one look at mine, played with the fit, and swiftly realised it was gonna be awkward. Haven't gone back to it yet.

Eulenspiegel
30-06-2009, 08:38
I havenīt assembled (or bought) one, but my approach to badly cast multi-part metal models as always to
- add superglue to the surfaces that would touch
- put an amount of greenstuff in between two parts
- squeeze them together
- cut off the greenstuff that has been squeezed out
- fill gaps with greenstuff

Wonīt that work with the TFC?

Vaktathi
30-06-2009, 08:41
It was, bar none, the worst experience I've ever had trying to assemble a model. Even worse than Obliterators and DKoK grenadiers with their stupid little gun cables.

it's an awesome looking model, but a PITA to do anything with. Half the parts wouldn't fit and required extremely intensive cutting and filing, far more than would ordinarily be reasonable.

hush88
30-06-2009, 08:49
I havenīt assembled (or bought) one, but my approach to badly cast multi-part metal models as always to
- add superglue to the surfaces that would touch
- put an amount of greenstuff in between two parts
- squeeze them together
- cut off the greenstuff that has been squeezed out
- fill gaps with greenstuff

Wonīt that work with the TFC?

generally yes, but even some of the pinning that is provided is on the threads to the base is not even properly align, there are so much gaps, pieces wrong sized etc it is just so bad.

Friend of mine had 3 and none could fit properly.

TimLeeson
30-06-2009, 08:51
they have to make badly made metals, so they can make them in plastics for the next codex ;)

Rirekon
30-06-2009, 08:56
Nearly finished painting mine, it was a massive pain to put together!

Had to;
Resculpt(!) two of the tracks as their details were completely missing
File away the inside of the turret-ring so the turret would actually sit inside it
File away the edges of the rocket loading door so the two cannon halves would actually meet
Apply green stuff along the join of the two cannon halves
Bend and file the fixing under the cannon barrel so that it would fit

Easily the worst model I've had to put together from GW so far - though I did learn a lot about using green stuff so not a total waste of time

Fixer
30-06-2009, 09:54
I actually had to get a replacement pieces for mine. the two back parts of the cannon were so warped they wouldn't fit together.

MajorWesJanson
30-06-2009, 09:54
It's the new Hurricane Bolter.

Duce
30-06-2009, 09:56
horrible model, tried to assemble my two and their still not done as the agony i'm going to continue to have keeps putting me off and i end up painting other stuff instead.

archie-d
30-06-2009, 10:00
its not a pretty kit, but its not as bad an experience as trying to build two tomb king skull catapults in one evening. those things literally explode as you finish sticking the last piece on.

Dr. Hellbeast
30-06-2009, 10:05
I'll probably end up using the tracks to use as a base for some form of AdMech dread/robot rather than go through all the grief of assembling the entire model.

ServanoTomasin
30-06-2009, 10:27
All of the ones I've had to put together were a real nightmare to make. And a pain too, all the sharp pointy bits of flash really dig into your hands.
The first 2 I made, I've actually had to hammer the barrel back into shape. I've had to use copious amount of green-stuff and super-glue. I've filed away enough flash to make a small tank. Some bits don't even fit after the file-fest.

By contrast, the techmarine gunner is possibly the easiest metal model to put together. Minimum amount of green-stuff, most of the parts fit together without the need of filing or cutting.

@Dr. Hellbeast - I think the tracks work well for a rapier (sp?) laser-destroyer gun thing. Or a mobile gun-turret (razorback/predator turrets fit on it well)

zetaplus
30-06-2009, 11:14
I got mine assembled after much sawing, filling, gluing and cursing, then one of my mates busted it *sigh*

hush88
01-07-2009, 05:17
All of the ones I've had to put together were a real nightmare to make. And a pain too, all the sharp pointy bits of flash really dig into your hands.
The first 2 I made, I've actually had to hammer the barrel back into shape. I've had to use copious amount of green-stuff and super-glue. I've filed away enough flash to make a small tank. Some bits don't even fit after the file-fest.

By contrast, the techmarine gunner is possibly the easiest metal model to put together. Minimum amount of green-stuff, most of the parts fit together without the need of filing or cutting.

@Dr. Hellbeast - I think the tracks work well for a rapier (sp?) laser-destroyer gun thing. Or a mobile gun-turret (razorback/predator turrets fit on it well)

The techmarine gunner is really an easy piece to assemble. Better than most metals minis that i have, especially when there are so many pieces. Short of the flashing there is not too much things to deal with. In fact they should use that as a measure of good casting.

With the Thunderfire cannon, nothing fits. Filing, cutting off of molded designs, sigh...might as well scratch build something. In fact one of my mates says that he rather buy the FW Thudd gun as a substitute.

Foolish Mortal
01-07-2009, 07:24
Gotta agree with you all here - easily the worst piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

Mine is still in the box - did a dry fit of the parts, did some filing, did another dry fit, did loads more filing, another dry fit, chucked the parts back in the box & did something else instead.

I may get back to it one day - but my masochistic tendencies don't run that high yet :)

Petay1985
01-07-2009, 07:36
I am not going to lie, i am worried :cries: i will be purchasing a thunderfire cannon in the very near future!! Is it really as bad as the old Hurricane Bolter!? :cries:
Once purchased and assembled, i'll add my penny's worth to the thread.

MajorWesJanson
01-07-2009, 07:57
It's somewhat close to twice as many pieces as the old Hurricane Bolter. And fits together about as well, so I'd say it is two times worse :D

Fixer
01-07-2009, 09:27
and not just that, you also have the Techmarine to contend with afterwards.

Let's see. The Thunderfire cannon has about 20 parts, the Techmarine 8? The techmarine's 'what does this button do?' arm doesn't fit that well either.

The thing that irks me about all this is that it appears that the model was originally intended to be a plastic kit. You can see the 3d renders of the models in a lot of the old rumour material.

At some point they must have thought it wasn't worth aking the plastic mould for the Thunderfire and instead went with the cheaper metal casting option.

ServanoTomasin
01-07-2009, 10:01
I asked about it being in plastic last year at GDUK. I asked the sculptor and someone else about it being in plastic and was told

a possibility for the future. Just don't get your hopes up.

The one thing I can't quite figure out is the holster the techmarine has. Mainly, it's going to get covered up by the servo-arm/quad-shell reload, and his right arm, so why bother putting it on him?
The fact that all the studio armies at WW which have thunderfires don't even bother giving him the holster seems a little strange. (I mean why bother giving us a part if even the 'Eavy metal team don't use said part? :confused:?

Parts wise, I count 10 for the techmarine (including the un-used holster) and about 24 for the cannon. They are both really nice sculpts. I just hate the metal, and how it's been (mis)cast. And the current price. When it came out at UKGD, I think Ģ25 was just about worth it (for the way it's been made). But the current Ģ30, imo isn't worth it for something with so many casting issues.

Rirekon
01-07-2009, 10:42
I'm glad someone else was confused by the holster, I left it off too as I just couldn't work out how to make it fit without yet more bending and filing.

chromedog
01-07-2009, 11:08
Didn't like the look of the castings, so made one out of plastic bits for mine. Tracks, gun, cowl and all. Even traverses and elevates.
Yes, the new Techmarine gunner would have been cool, but he wasn't worth the $80 or so for the box.

Petay1985
01-07-2009, 12:50
Ok purchased this morning at 11ish, started building around 12ish and just finished!!

With the exception of the techmarine's boltpistol holster (i replaced this with a regular plastic holster, smaller and fits much better) and having to drill out the back of the gun to accomodate the missile hatch, it went pretty well. Certainly not the exploding, finger glueing mess that the hurricane bolters used to be, but still no where near as smooth as a standard model shoud be! and i should never have to dill out a model to take a part it is built to take!!

Thus i vote for the later, 'wish GW actually have QA for the minis they make'.

Fantastic looking model though, and its alreay survived an unplanned trip to the ground without breaking :) lol

TooMad
01-07-2009, 19:39
You should try playing War Machine. They even named it for once race, the Khador Gap.

Zanzibarthefirst
01-07-2009, 21:19
Im not even going to attempt building mine again, the techmarine doesnt fit and the cannon is warped to bits. I've managed to get the tracks together but everything else doesnt want to go together.
Im tempted to take it back to GW and throw it at the staff there then mail the pieces to Nottingham and ask them to build it for me jsut to prove it is possible

Petay1985
01-07-2009, 23:19
Im not even going to attempt building mine again, the techmarine doesnt fit and the cannon is warped to bits. I've managed to get the tracks together but everything else doesnt want to go together.
Im tempted to take it back to GW and throw it at the staff there then mail the pieces to Nottingham and ask them to build it for me jsut to prove it is possible

I built mine fella, its possible!! ;)

It was perhapse more labourious that it should have been, the proof i've done it is here, lol: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3717342#post3717342 (3rd page).

Imperius
01-07-2009, 23:30
IMO the Thunder Fire cannon should be discontinued or resculpted.
Really for the premium price we pay, when we can go to any dollar store and get toy soldiers that are nearly the same quality as any of our plastic models they should atleast take better care to make models that WORK.

Zanzibarthefirst
02-07-2009, 00:34
I built mine fella, its possible!! ;)

It was perhapse more labourious that it should have been, the proof i've done it is here, lol: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3717342#post3717342 (3rd page).

That thunderfire cannon has to be a mirage. :D

TheMav80
02-07-2009, 01:01
Is it worse than the Ogre Kingdome Scrap Launcha?

Kirill
02-07-2009, 02:09
Hardest model to assemble, ever.
I can't count the times i was in pain from having to press on somewhere so firmly, so it might stick, which it didn't end up doing anyway because some how glue got onto my thumb/finger/face and pulled the metal part off.
I finally got it all assembled. and i recently discovered the little.. whatever the hell that thing is on the bottom of the barrel (Stabilizer?) Is insanely crooked and will need to ripped off and glued again.
My reaction to this when i discovered it, went something like this;
agt1qtadsfsafgoiwesgjoiajszhafedszfiosdgjhoewshgsg wsghg!!!!!!
Yep.
Neeeeever again, you couldn't pay me enough.
Though i've had a friend drop it about a meter onto a wooden bench. Left a dent in the wo.. wait a minute. that might be why the thing is crooked..
aafwegwoigwoeighiowhgloahuwhqufwoiuehgwusgjuisgehg whggwehethli!

hush88
02-07-2009, 02:41

That is something i would like to do myself if i did not live so far from UK. Now everytime i say "Thunderfire Cannon", it usually ends up as "Thunderfire ****&%^$@*^&%$^%& Cannon".

Rirekon
02-07-2009, 08:20
It's true it is possible, it's just a pain in the ****. Maybe this should be turned into a thread of success stories to commemorate those who have bled to build the stupid things
http://www.warseer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1068

edit; hmmm....image tags aren't working...

blackrabbit
02-07-2009, 08:26
it is quite tricky

Fixer
02-07-2009, 09:18
Likewise, mine has actually been constructed but i did think I actually shed some blood sticking the thing together. Took about 3 days of build time!

http://www.perfect-design.co.uk/salamanders/1750_thunderfire.jpg

Probably needs some Salamanders logos on the sides.

hush88
02-07-2009, 09:45
I just used 1 whole tube of superglue and glued my own fingers one time 2 many.

ServanoTomasin
02-07-2009, 17:45
Erm....try to avoid dropping it. Anywhere. (Except mabey a trampoline, as the bouncy surface might not be too dangerous....)
The thing blew up on landing. Bits of metal everwhere. I don't know if I'll bother remaking it, just looking at the twisted pile of metal just makes me want to scream. :cries:
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/ServanoTomasin/P1011014.jpg

hush88
06-07-2009, 07:07
3/4s of people have problems.
maybe some people got lucky.

Loki73
06-07-2009, 17:13
Other than having to file stuff down I didnt have a problem with it. I have put together alot of OTHER companys metals which were a bigger pain in the ****.

mattjgilbert
06-07-2009, 17:18
I'd forgotten just what a pain it was to put together! Reading these comments brought back all the memories...

Still it turned out OK in the end but I don't want to do another one!
http://www.thedragonstears.com/images/gallery/members/matt/40k/ultra%20marines/heavy%20support/thunderfire%20cannon.jpg

zendral
06-07-2009, 17:24
I'm gonna be the oddball here and say that even after all the opinions, I look forward to getting mine :). My favorite part of this hobby is assembling and repairing any goof-ups. I'm glad to here it's a pain, sounds like a good challenge for me. I've put together so many nightmare models, that its become an art, lol. Heck, most of the guys in my gaming group come to me to have drop pods put together, knowing the doors will open and close perfectly. :)

MajorWesJanson
06-07-2009, 19:05
I may have just discovered a magic solution for the Thunderfire cannon. After working on a Mars Warhound and cursing about superglue running, I picked up a bottle of the Loctite control gel. With about 2 minutes of press and hold, the torso assembly was together with no superglue running everywhere, and it is still together days later. I'm going to try it on my thunderfire and see if it solves the main problems.

Zanzibarthefirst
07-08-2009, 12:28
Another reason why I dont like building the thunderfire cannon. the one I got was incomplete. the left arms for the techmarines servo-harness are missing. i got it from an indie retailer ages ago now and only just realised when I actucally tried to build it the other week

Rirekon
07-08-2009, 13:01
I may have just discovered a magic solution for the Thunderfire cannon. After working on a Mars Warhound and cursing about superglue running, I picked up a bottle of the Loctite control gel. With about 2 minutes of press and hold, the torso assembly was together with no superglue running everywhere, and it is still together days later. I'm going to try it on my thunderfire and see if it solves the main problems.

I've switched to using loctite for all my superglue needs recently (I am never buying another bottle of the watery crap GW sells), though you still need to fill all the gaps with something

Neilza
07-08-2009, 13:33
I brought two and havent even botherd making the 2nd arfter the hassle from the first model

Petay1985
07-08-2009, 14:03
I'm gonna be the oddball here and say that even after all the opinions, I look forward to getting mine :). My favorite part of this hobby is assembling and repairing any goof-ups. I'm glad to here it's a pain, sounds like a good challenge for me. I've put together so many nightmare models, that its become an art, lol. Heck, most of the guys in my gaming group come to me to have drop pods put together, knowing the doors will open and close perfectly. :)

You'll be fine fella, its really easy despite the whinning, lol :p

Hellgore
07-08-2009, 14:33

I hated it. It's still not finally assembled/painted. One of the worst models I bought from GW. :mad:

the-skylord
07-08-2009, 14:40
Use baking soda when super gluing metal models together. Works very well and fills in a lot of gaps.

EldarWolf
07-08-2009, 15:47
My son got one at GamesDay 2008, I took a look at the parts and thought 'this will be a bugger to put together and even more of a sod to store/transport' I'll wait for the re-sculpt/plastic version...

BrotherMoses
07-08-2009, 17:20
Yeah, that thing looked just like a mess. My friend had one and said it was probably the worst done kit he's ever put together.

Wicksy
07-08-2009, 21:30
Yeah man...mine was a ball ache. I had to machine the barrel, the barrel muzzle, and breach parts to fit. I had to machine out the track ring so it would fit and had to fill a lot of gaps. It took me about 2 days to get together and about a day to paint. As others have said, the techmarine is a doddle!

Zanzibarthefirst
07-08-2009, 21:41
As others have said, the techmarine is a doddle!

Assuming all the bits are there :(