PDA

View Full Version : 500 points escalation tourny HE

SilentStalker
30-06-2009, 19:16
In two weeks I am thinking of partaking in an escalation tournament with my High Elves. The points start at 500 using the warbands rules. There will be 5 games in total, increasing your forces by 100 points each time. Once you hit the 800 points level the warbands rules are dropped and you use regular forces organization rules.
I am not sure about the exception for HE at this point (tourny organizer has yet to announce specifics other than warbands and escalation), but I am quite sure that the minimum core I will need will be 1 instead of 2 as per the warbands rules. Also I am assuming that HE will get an extra special or rare slot.

The warbands rules state that you can have up to 2 heroes (combined worth less than 150 pts), 1 war machine or chariot, 1 flying creature, reduced unit sizes depending on base size (3 for infantry, 2 for cav, 1 for ogre size), no need of a hero (can use a champion as general), units must meet regular minimum size for command and upgrades, 1 special choice and 1 rare (or 2 special and 0 rare, but never 2 rare). Think that is it for restriction by rules. I have also been informed that there will be no big nasties like hydras and the like.

With this in mind, for my initial 500 I was thinking about the following list.

220 - 5 Dragon Princes w/drakemaster, standard bearer, war banner, gem of 3d6 for one leadership test
50 - Eagle
140 - Lion Chariot
90 - 10 Spearmen

Plan would be to use the eagle to disrupt the enemy and plow forwards with my princes and chariot. The small unit of spears can be used to protect a flank, or be a flanking for in it's own right. Let me know what you guys think of this, and maybe some suggestions on successive 100 point expansions? Pretty sure I have to keep what was in my previous force, so its just adding things on (making units bigger etc...

danny7865
30-06-2009, 19:24
i'd swap the spearmen for archers.... but other than that it seems fine.

SilentStalker
30-06-2009, 20:28
thought about it, but still unsure. nothing else about the list?

danny7865
30-06-2009, 21:10
well it is vulnerable to shooting. I'd suggest a medium infantry unit 10 WL etc....

Elays
30-06-2009, 22:04
I'm not that familiar with warband-level games, but that many points in the Dragon Princes just seems like an opportunity to outnumber and surround the one big unit. Huge chunk of victory points gets eaten up and they can practically ignore the others.

King_Pash
01-07-2009, 01:52
I did a similar tournament but we didn't have Special choices until round 2/3. Anyway, for my 500 points I basically went shooty heavy so:

15x Lothern Guard
15x Lothern Guard
10x Archers
Noble on steed

It was quite successful against anything T3 (even Deamons - woop!) but struggled against anything with decent armour. I would suggest you consider LRG as they are a very versatile unit at low points games.

On your list, I would drop the Chariot and get some LRGs. Maybe PG's if I was needing a hard to kill unit.

Good luck.

SilentStalker
01-07-2009, 02:15
well I could drop the lion chariot for 10 seaguard w/ banner for null point difference. I like the idea of the princes because it gives me a hammer unit in such a small game. I don't expect to see many fully ranked units or too many strong elite units, so think that they should have no problem steam rollering any rank n file guys. I could possibly drop some stuff and make it 10 seaguard and 10 archers, something like

110 - 10 archers
130 - 10 seaguard w/shields
50 - eagle
210 - 5 DP w/ champion, standard bearer, war banner

Even 500 points gives me some shooting, a strong hammer and redirecter, while the seaguard can possibly hold stuff up having more attacks and a 5+ armor save.
Thoughts?

King_Pash
02-07-2009, 00:19
Sounds good to me but I wouldn't really give the LSG a banner. They are a small unit that will die quickly and you don't want to give them that extra 100 at the end of it. In terms of DPs - great idea! I faced against some empire knights and just couldn't do the damage on them due to high armour. Let us know how you get on.

SilentStalker
02-07-2009, 14:45
will do! there are no banners on the seaguard, only shields. Hoping that the princes will survive due to the small size of the forces I will be fighting.