PDA

View Full Version : Warseer Assistance

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
30-06-2009, 21:50
Hey everyone! I stand on the cusp of the most exciting thing about the wargaming adict-err, hobby. I am going to begin collecting a new army! Also, I will be coming back to my first love after a long hiatus: 40K. The only problem now is that I must decide which direction to go.

I am a former Imperial Space Marines player, but whilst playing Fantasy I've developed a taste for evil armies. Plus, Forge World makes some amazing conversions for Chaos models. Right now I'm trying to decide between Chaos Space Marines and Renegade Guard.

I love the Nurgle conversion packs, plus the Blight Drones look sick (literally). Their codex is reasonable and Chaos armies can have low numbers. I'm afraid an all-Nurgle army wouldn't work very well.

The Renegade Guard models are amazing, and their background is also full of character. Plus, the army lends itself well to conversions. Unfortunately their rules are in a super expensive book and there are normally quite a few of them cluttering up the tabletop.

I don't know which to choose. There are positives and negatives for both, and this is a decision I cannot make on my own. Help me out, fellow wargamers!

eltanko
30-06-2009, 22:07
Personally i would choose Chaos SM (which i actually did)
they still have conversion options, depending on which chapter you go for, i think that Death Guard, nurgle, would be agood option, just as strong as any other CSM's and they look good.

game wise, im not too sure, i dont really game! but CSM are tough sons of guns!

ElTanko

Wraithseer
30-06-2009, 22:10
I have CSM.... go renegades, use the new imperial guard codex or scrape for the IA one.

mattjgilbert
30-06-2009, 22:19
A friend has a renegade army at it looks fantastic. There are lots of CSM armies out there... be different!

Archangel_Ruined
30-06-2009, 22:23
Could you not just run a renegade guard list with the guard codex? The IA rules are nice but they're in a special book and people can be a bit funny about that. The guard list is very good these days, so you could have a great looking army that plays very well. You could always get the IA rules for friendly play too.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
30-06-2009, 22:51
Hmm... I suppose I could use the new IG codex and save money and headaches from the grief of having every special rule questioned. Anyone out there rooting for Chaos Space Marines? I do love the Nurgly goodness of the FW models. Or are folks just bored sitting across the table from Marines all the time?

eltanko
30-06-2009, 22:59
They are very common, but thats because they are so good and powerful! renegades would be different, just not as 'ard!

ElTanko

de Selby
30-06-2009, 23:02
Go renegades and use the IG codex. You can always add a few plague marines and whatnot for apocalypse games (adding a handful of renegade humans to a marine army seems harder to justify).

bob_the_small
30-06-2009, 23:17
Im rooting for CSM! They are awesome! Whats better than evil marines?

Archangel_Ruined
30-06-2009, 23:24
Evil guard, you get more of them.

Serebrate
01-07-2009, 00:02
Beauty is the only true thing in this world. Pick Slaanesh.

Nurgle and Plaugemarines are so overplayed and cliche, I really wish they would nerf them or something so everyone doesn't just pick them because of FNP.

Of course, you can combined the aforementioned to make a very, very original list that follows fluff extremely closely.

2 x Lash Prince

4 x Plague Marines with Power Fist and Meltas

2 x Vindicator

Petay1985
01-07-2009, 08:48
Renegade/Traitor Guard with the Guard Codex has to be the winner here!! You can then include chaos marines in apocalpse battles to build on the armies character further (not that traitor guard need more...)

SylverClaw
01-07-2009, 09:20
Of course, you can combined the aforementioned to make a very, very original list that follows fluff extremely closely.

2 x Lash Prince

4 x Plague Marines with Power Fist and Meltas

2 x Vindicator

Yeah... but only if you want to hear the word "cheese" often and aimed directly at you.

But seriously, a pure Nurgle army can be very strong. I, personally, I would not mix it. I hate mixed armies... we need to go back to mono gods where they all hated each other. It was much more fun.

Plus the Nurgle CSM models are often lovely (though there are some terrible ones) and the Greater Daemon is bloody beautiful... in a gross, pile of crap way...

skabradisdead
01-07-2009, 10:29
I would use traitor guard with the new guard list.... So many possibilities... So much potential..