PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Dwarf 'elite' army

Time of Madness
30-06-2009, 21:39
Well I've had some pretty good success with this elite list. The 2 large units are fairly tough to beat and I tend to have enough firepower to make my opponent come to me.

CHARACTERS

Dwarf Lord (general)
- Great Weapon
- Rune of Gromril
- Rune of Spite
= 221pts

Thane (BSB)
- Swiftness/cleaving/fury
- Rune of Stone
= 165pts

Runesmith
- Great Weapon/shield
- Balance/Spellbreaker
= 151pts

CORE

23 Longbeards
***BSB and runesmith here***
- Full Command
- Rune of Courage
- Shields
= 331pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
- Shields
= 125pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
- Shields
= 125pts

SPECIAL

24 Hammerers
***Lord here***
- Full Command
- Rune of Battle
- Shields
= 367pts

Bolt Thrower
- Rune of Penetration
= 70pts

Bolt Thrower
- Rune of Penetration
- Rune of Burning
= 75pts

Cannon
- Rune of Forging
= 125pts

RARE

Organ Gun
= 120pts

Organ Gun
= 120pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

Dispel Dice - 6 (steals one power dice) + 1 spell breaker

The Longbeards and hammerers form the center of my battle line. Both the main units are tough nuts to crack especially if I can keep the fast stuff off my flanks.
Time of Madness

CancerMage
01-07-2009, 05:29
Sure both your huge units are tough, but how do you expect to make him fight them? Anything will dance around them and then smash into you from all sides, while picking off your war machines and crossbowmen. You need more units capable of taking a charge. They don't need to sit in combat forever, but only for a turn or two so help can arrive. If the unit is lost, then you have time to redeploy.

Suggestions
1. Lord is nice (especially with hammerers), but pricey. Consider dropping either to a thane or completely.
2. Units of 25 is WAY to big for elite dwarf infantry and adds up quickly. Drop for units of 17-18 with characters. You'll sit just as long in combat either way, so long as you don't roll double boxcars for your break tests.
3. Bolt throwers need engineers, and you really only need one with a RoPenetrating. Drop both runes from the second bolt thrower and invest in some engineers for the same points cost.
4. The longbeard unit is illegal because you need a unit of warriors. With points saved from the longbeards and hammerers you dropped, you should invest in a unit. 16 + standard should be alright, they aren't a priority target for shooting.
5. I'd combine the crossbowmen. Sure you can only target one unit/turn but they become a respectable combat unit. Consider dropping 3-4 and adding a standard.
6. If you still feel light on shooting infantry, then drop the organ gun and get a second shooting unit. If you drop the first unit of crossbows down to 16 you should have points around for the second unit.

Hope some of that helps.

AFoolProofPlan
01-07-2009, 08:08
Give your Lord Shieldbearers and RoStone instead of MroGromil. He get's 1+ save, 2 extra WS5 S4 attacks, and immunity to killing blow. And you can also buy 1 less guy in the unit he goes in too.
MroChallenge will help with getting into combat, and somewhat dictating the movement phase, but it'll be useless against ITP stuff.

BSB tends to be a bullet magnet, so I think he'll fare better with MroGromril, RoPreservation, and RoStriking
WS 7 will make all those WS 3 grunts hit on 5s. 1+ sv never hurts, and no lucky 6s taking out your BSB with killing blow.
Although, given that you only have 2 units meant for combat, I'm not sure how much mileage you're gonna get out of this guy.

You could drop bunch of the guys from Hammerer. Lord should be killy enough to make up for the 1 or 2 static combat res you lose for less ranks. And with RoDetermination, they become unbreakable for a turn. So if you're looking to save some points, that would be what I recommend.

BTs definitely need engineers.

I wouldn't recommend 20 Crossbows. 20 is too unwieldy. They'll never get all 20 shots off. Unless you have a hill conveniently set up on your side, you'll never get off more than 10 shots. And even if you did have hills, there are 5 other warmachines gunning for that hill.

Go for a unit of warriors instead if you think you might need another block of infantries.

And Longbeards are legit. Dwarf Lord allows it.

Time of Madness
01-07-2009, 13:34
Well I can drop the hammerers/longbeards down to 18 and 19 (20 strong with characters). This would give me some points for some slayers or miners. Or even some warriors.
Time of Madness

Sprog
01-07-2009, 15:21
um anvil of doom with a 12inch charge range would there is however an item the lord can take that makes the emeny take leadership flee, or chagre and that can help
need another dispel scoll if looking for a tourny army
in GT u will get pen for two organ guns (if killed they will hand 6 kill points)
thunders are great (or better that crossbowmen)
hope that helps

Time of Madness
01-07-2009, 18:53
Thanks for the comments gents. I've made a couple of changes (mainly cutting down my unit sizes).

CHARACTERS

Dwarf Lord (general)
- Great Weapon
- Rune of Gromril
- Rune of Spite
= 221pts

Thane (BSB)
- Rune of Stone
= 165pts

Runesmith
- Great Weapon
- Balance/Spellbreaker
= 149pts

CORE

18 Longbeards
- Full Command
- Rune of Courage
- Shields
= 271pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
- Shields
= 125pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
- Shields
= 125pts

SPECIAL

19 Hammerers
***Lord here***
- Full Command
- Rune of Battle
- Shields
= 302pts

Bolt Thrower
- Rune of Penetration
= 70pts

Bolt Thrower
- Rune of Penetration
- Rune of Burning
= 75pts

Cannon
- Rune of Forging
= 125pts

12 Slayers
= 132pts

RARE

Organ Gun
= 120pts

Organ Gun
= 120pts

TOTAL POINTS = 2000pts

As you can see I removed some of the excess fat from the list and used the points to pick up a small unit of slayers. The slayers will be used on the flanks of my main units. Alternatively I could always take a unit of miners instead of the slayers. What do you think would work better for this army?
time of madness

mattc123
01-07-2009, 19:33
very nice list but i would drop the shields from the xbowmen

Time of Madness
02-07-2009, 15:03
Ok final list, I promise. I think I'm making some progress here.

CHARACTERS

Dwarf Lord (general)
- Great Weapon
- Rune of Gromril
- Rune of Spite
= 221pts

Thane (BSB)
- Rune of Stone
= 165pts

Runesmith
- Great Weapon/shield
- Balance/Spellbreaker
= 151pts

Dragon Slayer
= 50pts

CORE

18 Longbeards
- Full Command
- Rune of Courage
- Shields
= 271pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Shields
= 120pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Shields
= 120pts

SPECIAL

19 Hammerers
***Lord here***
- Full Command
- Shields
= 277pts

Bolt Thrower
- Engineer
- Rune of Penetration
= 85pts

Bolt Thrower
- Engineer
= 60pts

Cannon
- Rune of Forging
= 125pts

10 Slayers
= 110pts

RARE

Organ Gun
= 120pts

Organ Gun
= 120pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

So there you have it. Made some more minor changes. I gave a shield to my runesmith. I removed the musicians from the x-bows. I added engineers to the bolt throwers and dropped one penetration.

With the points saved I put in a unit of 10 slayers and a dragon slayer. The dragon slayer will wander around protection war machines and the slayers will help my large combat units by operating on the flank.
Time of Madness

Violadudester
02-07-2009, 16:14
Refer toAFoolProofPlan's post, it is almost exactly what I had to say about the list. Think about adding a master engineer instead of the Dragon Slayer, hitting on a 2+ with a BT is sick.

danny-d-b
02-07-2009, 16:24
Ok final list, I promise. I think I'm making some progress here.

CHARACTERS

Dwarf Lord (general)
- Great Weapon
- Rune of Gromril
- Rune of Spite
= 221pts
you do relise that shieldberers are on of the best upgreads in the game, get him a set and drop the gromril to stone for the equiverlant of 5 points you get +2 Us so your immune to killing blow

Thane (BSB)
- Rune of Stone
= 165pts
This guy need MRO Gromril, all BSBs should have it as bacic kit, and the fansy weapon should be stuck on a fight caracter, not a BSB who is the most important models in the dwarf army

Runesmith
- Great Weapon/shield
- Balance/Spellbreaker
= 151pts
Good!, you could go twin spellbreaker and rune of stone if you like but this works

Dragon Slayer
= 50pts
Not a bad choise, but I'm not a fan

CORE

18 Longbeards
- Full Command
- Rune of Courage
- Shields
= 271pts
Good, but if you wish you might want to drop them down to 15 and run stocicism, you shouldn't be failing many fear cheaks an with stocisum your less likely to be outnumbered
10 Crossbowmen
- Shields
= 120pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Shields
= 120pts

Good!

SPECIAL

19 Hammerers
***Lord here***
- Full Command
- Shields
= 277pts
You could drop them down a bit to say 16 and with the lord deploy 6 x 3 for the extra attack, also consider rune of battle

Bolt Thrower
- Engineer
- Rune of Penetration
= 85pts
Good
Bolt Thrower
- Engineer
= 60pts
Rune of burning maybe
Cannon
- Rune of Forging
= 125pts
Good
10 Slayers
= 110pts
Not bad, a tad on the small side, maybe see if you can change them for miners?
RARE

Organ Gun
= 120pts

Organ Gun
= 120pts
Ouch, thats not nice

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

So there you have it. Made some more minor changes. I gave a shield to my runesmith. I removed the musicians from the x-bows. I added engineers to the bolt throwers and dropped one penetration.

With the points saved I put in a unit of 10 slayers and a dragon slayer. The dragon slayer will wander around protection war machines and the slayers will help my large combat units by operating on the flank.
Time of Madness

good list, I'd surgest you check out bugmans if your not on already, lots of great stuff Advanced dwarf tactic to know your enermy

xpo50
07-07-2009, 04:08
Sure both your huge units are tough, but how do you expect to make him fight them? Anything will dance around them and then smash into you from all sides, while picking off your war machines and crossbowmen. You need more units capable of taking a charge. They don't need to sit in combat forever, but only for a turn or two so help can arrive. If the unit is lost, then you have time to redeploy.

Suggestions
1. Lord is nice (especially with hammerers), but pricey. Consider dropping either to a thane or completely.
2. Units of 25 is WAY to big for elite dwarf infantry and adds up quickly. Drop for units of 17-18 with characters. You'll sit just as long in combat either way, so long as you don't roll double boxcars for your break tests.
3. Bolt throwers need engineers, and you really only need one with a RoPenetrating. Drop both runes from the second bolt thrower and invest in some engineers for the same points cost.
4. The longbeard unit is illegal because you need a unit of warriors. With points saved from the longbeards and hammerers you dropped, you should invest in a unit. 16 + standard should be alright, they aren't a priority target for shooting.
5. I'd combine the crossbowmen. Sure you can only target one unit/turn but they become a respectable combat unit. Consider dropping 3-4 and adding a standard.
6. If you still feel light on shooting infantry, then drop the organ gun and get a second shooting unit. If you drop the first unit of crossbows down to 16 you should have points around for the second unit.

Hope some of that helps.

The lord allows him to have one unit more of longbeards than you have of warriors therefore he can have one unit of longbeards without a unit of warriors, or have two if he has one

xpo50
07-07-2009, 04:14
I would change the BSB runes to MR of Gromril (assuming you give lord shieldbearers), and a rune of shielding, a 2+ ward save against enemy magic missiles, and shooting.