PDA

View Full Version : Not Tau [closed: flamebait]

Lowmans
30-06-2009, 22:08
If you could take Tau back from the very beginning, what would you rather have had instead?

There's so much, I'd rather have had....

One of the following, though probably not in this order: Squats back, Ordo Xenos, AdMech, Hrud, Slann, Specific Chaos Legion lists, More Chapter Specific lists.....

Even just keeping on top of existing books and showing Dark Eldar, Necrons and Space Wolves some love....!

What would you have done instead!?

Or do you think Tau deserved initial release and subsequent revised book?

BayHammer
30-06-2009, 22:15
No I do not, I think they where a soft army that GW rushed through to expand the product line and in the end screwed over several established codcies that could have used the update (Necrons) stat wise they are sub par and if anything I would go back and fix the weapon stats to better match the firepower they are actually putting out. I do not like fresh sushi and I think they tripped up a lot of more deserving armies in the process of there release.

bob_the_small
30-06-2009, 22:15
I dont understand why everyone hates Tau! They are a really cool and fun army to play!

Troah
30-06-2009, 22:21
Troah wuvs Tau!

Archangel_Ruined
30-06-2009, 22:27
They're alright. Conceptually they're a lot cleaner than the DE and Necrons, they've got a good look and their fluff doesn't mess with existing races. They can also be a very good army if played well with specific lists. Ad mech would be fantastic though, can't see GW doing it though, fingers crossed on the FW rumours.

Serebrate
30-06-2009, 22:59
If Tau could field Stealth Suits as a troop choice or field Pathfinders without Devilfish , I would probably drop a few hundred on starting a Tau army. Alas, I cannot.

Plus firewarriors have the BS of a Guardsman and WS of a Grot. And they look ugly to boot. Most advance in the galaxy? I think not.

The_Outsider
30-06-2009, 23:03
*Insert metre thick plot armour here*

Orcboy_Phil
30-06-2009, 23:08
I would have done nothing different. Tau are unique enougth to not rob the spotlight from other races. What I would have done differntly however was not to have made Black Templers a codex army and amalgamated the Dark Angels into the Marine codex or if the Dark Angels had to have a codex, I would have released them as Angels of Death along with the Blood Angels. Another mistake GW did was to seperate out the Deamon list form the Chaos Spacemarine one. They should have been put together with a renegade list into a super codex. Also Witch hunters and Demon Hunters shouldn't have had two codexes. They along with the Death watch should have been put into one big dex. Yep theres plently I would have done first before getting rid of the Tau.

Maidel
30-06-2009, 23:11
I would have kept the tau - but done them differently. I Would have made them entirely battle suits - saying that their physical bodies were too weak and they needed the battlesuits to fight at all

That way there could have been a greater variation of battle suits rather than just the 3 we have. Their transports could have been airdropping 3 crisis suits, the manta and bigger ships wouldnt change much.

All in all they were a good idea, but they are too infantry heavy for my liking.

Serebrate
30-06-2009, 23:13
Also Witch hunters and Demon Hunters shouldn't have had two codexes. They along with the Death watch should have been put into one big dex.

Take three very distinct and different forces and throw them together in one big book? Witchhunter, Daemonhunters, and Deathwatch are all very different from one another even though they follow the motif of "Elite hunt down undesirables." If anything, you might be able to combine Deathwatch with Space Marines since they're regular Space Marines on loan with elite gear and tactics for Xenos hunting. However, I fear that might cause Codex: Space Marines cheese.

I would have kept the tau - but done them differently. I Would have made them entirely battle suits - saying that their physical bodies were too weak and they needed the battlesuits to fight at all

That way there could have been a greater variation of battle suits rather than just the 3 we have. Their transports could have been airdropping 3 crisis suits, the manta and bigger ships wouldnt change much.

All in all they were a good idea, but they are too infantry heavy for my liking.

Oh man, I'm not even going to touch that one.

lotrchampion
30-06-2009, 23:19
Tau are a great addition to the range. At face value, people take them as Anime-inspired robot suit wearing Communist space cows. Lol-tastic. Looking further into it, you find what seems to be a fully forward thinking race that nevertheless has darker origins, conspiracies around their leading caste, the rebellion of Farsight-and amazingly one of the few 40k races in progression, not in a downward spiral. They're also a far more subtle threat to the Imperium than "OMG EVIL CHAOS GUYS!!!" or "OMG EVIL SPACE ALIENS WHO WANT TO EAT US!!!!". Also one of the few races with actual dialogue with the Imperium of Man. So really, I love 'em.

The only changes I would like to see in future are expansion of the Battlesuits, and also actually make them able to rival shooting of new IG. Just a few improvements to allow them to continue to dominate the shooting phase, as they should, and not lose a competitive edge. Oh, and I can't wait for the new Tau book to go to the current style of codex, where all unit options are listed under their entry! No more page flicking to kit my Suits out! =D

Creeping Dementia
30-06-2009, 23:23
If you could take Tau back from the very beginning, what would you rather have had instead?

There's so much, I'd rather have had....

One of the following, though probably not in this order: Squats back, Ordo Xenos, AdMech, Hrud, Slann, Specific Chaos Legion lists, More Chapter Specific lists.....

Even just keeping on top of existing books and showing Dark Eldar, Necrons and Space Wolves some love....!

What would you have done instead!?

Or do you think Tau deserved initial release and subsequent revised book?

Now I'm a big fan of the Tau so my comments may not be what you are looking for, but I'll give it a shot.

Tau would deffinately not be an army I'd be eager to replace. My first thing would be to thin out the amount of Marine codexes and combine the Inquisition. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sisters, but GW line is so saturated with Imperials its just silly. Come on, judging by the ratios at the local gaming stores the Imperials are always in a civil war, and Space Marine chapters are constantly at war with each other. Making that even worse by adding AdMech, Ordo Xenos, or yet more Space Marine chapters (or the Chaos ones with extra skulls and blades) instead of actual opponents would have been a bad idea IMO. Drop or consolidate some Imperials before dropping or erasing some Xenos is my opinion.

Tau are actually different from inserting Fantasy races into space so I'm all for them over Space Elves, Space Dwarves, Space Tomb Kings, Space Lizardmen, etc.

Maidel
30-06-2009, 23:23
Oh man, I'm not even going to touch that one.

And why not? Its not like its an 'outrageous' idea.

ChaosReigns
30-06-2009, 23:25
I don't like Tau, but at the same time I don't hate them with a fiery passion. They're very neutral for me, don't spark any excitement. That said I wouldn't want to see them gone because I have a couple friends who play Tau and absolutely love them. It would make them sad if they were phased out of 40k, perhaps even sad enough that they'd quit 40k.

If the Tau were to magically disappear tomorrow though and never return, I'd definitely want GW to do a Lost and the Damned codex in their place...either that or update the Dark Eldar codex. ;)

Lame Duck
30-06-2009, 23:25
Tau, but suits that look less like toys.

However, if you said take necrons back, then I'd suggest re-inventing the entire concept, go for a fairly unique look. This is an army where it doesn't need to be humanoid to work and look cool! Instead we get the most boring army imaginable.

Serebrate
30-06-2009, 23:26
And why not? Its not like its an 'outrageous' idea.

Other than being ludicrously expensive model-wise, it just seems very silly to have an entire army of XV-8s or XV-22s (I don't know the numbers so feel free to correct me) to me. As an 'elite' army of the Tau - yes. But as the only choice? No.

Lord Damocles
30-06-2009, 23:34
:eyebrows:

Specific Chaos Legion lists
Like the Index Asartes lists which were being released at the time?

By the time Tau Empire was released we had the abominations which were the Legion lists in the 3.5 Chaos codex.

More Chapter Specific lists
On top of the 5 codex lists already out at the time?!?

Besides which, we got more (:rolleyes:) variants in the form of 13th Company, updated vanilla Marines, Black Templars and Index Asartes lists between Codex: Tau and Tau Empire.

Necrons
Codex: Tau released October 2001
Codex: Necrons released July 2002

Riiight. haven't quite thought this through eh? Necrons were still on their Raiders list when the first Tau codex was released, and were only 4 years old (and holding their own nicely) when Tau Empire was released.

Space Wolves
They were only just over a year old! (released April 2000)

I really don't think that the Tau affected the release schedule(s) as much as you seem to think that they did...

12345_7
01-07-2009, 00:10
If we were to replace the Tau, I would like to add another non-space-fantasy army and instead create another. Maybe something like "real" aliens (flying saucers, more laser beams and such, shape-shifting, etc.) or a third "great power" (the Emperor and the Chaos Gods) thats actually in this universe, no the warp. I don't know, I guess I would want something different.

samiens
01-07-2009, 00:27
a third "great power" (the Emperor and the Chaos Gods) thats actually in this universe, no the warp.

So a bit like the c'tan then?

I actually rather like Tau, plus its nice to have a race that isn't all dark and gothic- choice for the win!

Gdolkin
01-07-2009, 00:28
For me, they're just not really 40k.. I've been obsessed with this nonsense since 1993, and my 'idea' of 40k is all the totalitarian theocracy, vile and depraved Chaotic corruption, ancient cultures and millennia of epic and brutal history, y'know? I like what GW have done with possible-manipulation and mind-control, but for me the Tau aren't 'really' 40k until I see them drawn in their hundreds or thousands by John Blanche, sweeping away resistance to their Utopia with technology of awesome firestorm-ness, or something.

BayHammer
01-07-2009, 00:30
I am telling you Chaos Tyranids are going to be the next big thing.

CEO Kasen
01-07-2009, 00:39
Seriously, I'd lose the Eldar before I lost the Tau, but that's due to internal anti-whiny-elf bias rather than any 'perception of what fits the 40K universe.' I would never discount an army on that basis - The galaxy is a huge place.

The Tau, however, do add a certain nonhumanocentric bias I find interesting - That a group of aliens are, in such a short time, getting it far righter than Humanity ever did.

txamil
01-07-2009, 03:02
40K went wrong with the Necron line, not the Tau line.

big squig
01-07-2009, 03:39
Dude, i love tau. I love that they aren't a totalitarian culture like everyone else in the galaxy...well, because they aren't part of the galaxy. They're outsiders. I like the look and feel and playstyle and their fluff is great.

Need a couple new minis though.

Kriegfreak
01-07-2009, 03:43
I like Tau, they just feel like an army that was already there in the first place. I'll admit I would have rather seen AdMechs, but Tau have grown on me over the years. When they first game out though I was quite confused, manga didn't really have a place in 40k.

Chaplain Ark
01-07-2009, 03:55
They're alright. Conceptually they're a lot cleaner than the DE and Necrons, they've got a good look and their fluff doesn't mess with existing races. They can also be a very good army if played well with specific lists. Ad mech would be fantastic though, can't see GW doing it though, fingers crossed on the FW rumours.

really, IMO, the only reason the a lot cleaner then the DE is because they have had new books in the past several years. But I personally like the Tau.
They have a kind of Alien IG look to them and I like that.

But i would love to have the Tau go back a book and the DE come foward at least one.

TimLeeson
01-07-2009, 05:58
I dont intent to collect Tau at all, but id rather have them than some of the boring armies people seem to want instead (i.e. more yawnfest human factions or chaos mariness). I like the Tau because they have alien allies which adds a little diversity to the game and keeps it from being too boring. Theres LOTS of armies id like to see added, but to go back in time and replace one ? hell no, it has its place, people just like to complain about it because its warseer. Tau are an underdog army like necrons and DE - people just (painfully predictably) love to hate on them because they dont like change, new ideas and diversity. All I can say is thank hell necrons, tau and DE WERE added, the other races were getting boring as hell - and I loved the backround changes, retcons and such those races provided.

Sidstyler
01-07-2009, 05:59
While it does warm my heart to see so many people sticking up for Tau, it doesn't quite stifle the RAGE (!) I feel over the fact that this thread even exists in the first place.

Not only is it yet another undeserved Tau hate thread, but you don't even give a *********** reason! Why do you hate Tau, what have you got against them? Are you just trying to troll people, because that's really what it looks like.

Well whatever, I'll bite, let's respond to what little BS there is to respond to.

I'd like to have Squats back too (well, I'd rather have the Demiurg play a bigger role in the game really, not the original Squats), but no way in hell would I replace any other race for them. Even though I like them you have to admit, it's still a goofy idea, and 40k doesn't need any more Fantasy in Spaace ports. And the reason why Squats are gone in the first place is because GW felt the same way, they didn't like the army, they couldn't figure out what to do with them, and in the end they said screw it and just got rid of them because they had no inspiration whatsoever. Even the name is ridiculous, "Squats"...think about it.

I feel bad for all the people who had their armies invalidated because of it, but still. Squats in their original form, basically just biker dwarves...no thanks. Tau deserve their spot in the game because at least they're a little more original than "Let's give guns/bikes/tanks to (insert Tolkien race here) and call it good."

Ordo Xenos, Ad Mech, and more chapter specific lists?! No one in their right mind would look at 40k and all the human codices that already plague it and think "Gee, you know what this game needs? MOAR HUMANS!" I wouldn't mind seeing Ordo Xenos or Ad Mech models/lists come from Forge World, but taking away attention from races that need updates like Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, and yes TAU, for more humans/Space Marines? No. You're out of your mind. Either that or you just really like human vs. human battles and pretending there ARE no aliens in the 40k universe, I guess.

Hrud and Slann. More Fantasy in Spaace armies. No. We need new stuff, original ideas, no more giving guns to Fantasy races and calling it a "new" army. I'm not sure how you'd justify Hrud getting their own codex anyway, I wasn't aware they had an Empire spanning several worlds and a military that could even compete with the other galactic threats around them. Or am I just mistaken?

Chaos Legion lists, I don't see why that can't be done easily WITHOUT getting rid of the Tau. So that's just more unjustified hate as far as I'm concerned.

That said I wouldn't want to see them gone because I have a couple friends who play Tau and absolutely love them. It would make them sad if they were phased out of 40k, perhaps even sad enough that they'd quit 40k.

I would definitely be one of those people, yeah. But then again I guess that's the whole point, since I didn't pick SPESS MAHREENZ or CHOAS then I'm simply not wanted and no one will care if I quit. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why some people think everyone needs to like all the same **** they do.

TimLeeson
01-07-2009, 06:14
Sidstyler, right on! you say what I think (but in much better words and terminology) :D

Orcboy_Phil
01-07-2009, 06:26
Take three very distinct and different forces and throw them together in one big book? Witchhunter, Daemonhunters, and Deathwatch are all very different from one another even though they follow the motif of "Elite hunt down undesirables." If anything, you might be able to combine Deathwatch with Space Marines since they're regular Space Marines on loan with elite gear and tactics for Xenos hunting. However, I fear that might cause Codex: Space Marines cheese.

Yep there so differen that they don't share:
1 HQ (only difference being the Psychic powers and minor variations in the wargear they can take)
6 Elites
1 Troop
a Heavy Support choice
& 3 Transport options

Ignoring allies and transports thats 9 choices out of 21 for Witch hunters (42.9%), and 17 for Demon Hunters (52.9%). Thats almost half for Witch Hunters and over half for Demon Hunters. Yep they really are different.

Tarquinn
01-07-2009, 06:32
Troah wuvs Tau!

I am not Troah, but I echo his statement.

BayHammer
01-07-2009, 06:39
Is it to much to say simply that I do not like there look, or the amount of ridculus saves there tanks get, sure there are much more sophisticated arguments but those are to be had in person over drinks, not through the cold impersonal medium that is a forum, I could claim any number of reasons as to why I dont like the race but to be honest few of them are rant worthy. Some people simply do not like them, A trait that is more then human in nature, I think it has alot to do with how we got introduced to the game and what various influences we where exposed to growing up. I think Tau is a very visualy active army and thus attracts a younger crowd, as opposed to those of us who remember fondly playing a weekend game of RT.

Tau may not be imposing in the 40k world and to be honest they do add a bit of much needed variety But I just dont see why one race should be discontinued in favor of creating a new one, if you read the fluff the Slaan and the Tau are remarkably similar. Over all I would say Tau are a very Aesthetic army that if your like me you just think "wow more anime super robo"

To those who play a serious Tau list you have my respect, to those of you who got them cause they looked cool you can shove it and eat lance strikes untill the table begins burn. (theres a reason for that rage bit, countless times I have asked a indavidual usualy of younger age about there Tau list and they simply reply with "well I dont know to much about it I got these cause they looked cool")

Bingo the Fun Monkey
01-07-2009, 07:01
Well, if people think they look cool they look cool. Tau are a breath of fresh air in the 40k universe. That's what I thought when they were first released. I personally like them and can draw similarities between the Covenant in Halo and them. Ok, call me some stoopid k1d for liking something similar to a video game or even anime. If mechs were to be put in the 40k universe, Tau are the right way to go about it. Some people don't like anything inspired by the East, which is an opinion they're entitled to, I suppose. Though I'm interested in Guard, I'm personally rooting for the Tau and the gue la that have joined the Greater Good to win out in the end and end the Imperium and the Eldar and be able to defend against the Hive Fleets and imprison the Necrons. That'll never happen because Pedro Kantor will personally chuckninjanorrissassinate the Ethereal Council on T'au.

genestealer_baldric
01-07-2009, 07:10
No tau were a great addition nearly everything revloves around chaos and anti chaos in the universe, so here come they tau who dont touch the warp with a barge poll is nice breath of fresh air. I love there style and look, granted what put people off is they cant realy be built to be very cheesy like almost every other army and due to this lack of auto win builds people seem to disklike them.

After using orks, marines and nids i was getting board with 40k but the way that Tau play and there diffrent style rekindeld my love for 40k, and hey who doesnt love the idea of a goldfish weilding a melta gun :).

Xelloss
01-07-2009, 07:34
Tau seems fine to me. Their real problem is people that make an opinion even before actually reading their fluff.

Necrons in comparaison seems way more bland... Let's hope this will be fixed with their hypothetic near-future codex.

Sidstyler
01-07-2009, 07:52
Is it to much to say simply that I do not like there look

Yes. When you can't say that without following up with "Anyone who does like their look should die.", then yes it is too much.

This isn't just the issue of people having different opinions, it's how you express that opinion. If you do it in the most offensive way imaginable then don't be surprised when people call you out for being a douche.

not through the cold impersonal medium that is a forum

That's no excuse to be an ******* though, and I hate when people try to justify their behavior with "Oh it's just a forum!"

You really shouldn't behave here any differently than you would in person, but we all know that'll never happen.

Some people simply do not like them, A trait that is more then human in nature, I think it has alot to do with how we got introduced to the game and what various influences we where exposed to growing up.

That's fair, I can buy that. And I wouldn't dream of trying to force everyone to like Tau, I'm willing to accept that everyone has their own opinion, all I ask is that you simply respect me and the choice I made and keep your ******** to yourself. You know, show me the same *********** courtesy that I show you.

But from my experiences both online and in the games store, that isn't the case, and opinionated people are all too happy to lord them over others. I don't deserve to be **** on for picking an army that appealed to me the most. And speaking of which, if GW had gotten the Ork release out just one year sooner, I would've started with Orks instead. But I was turned off by dated models and rules, so...really if you want to blame anyone for poisoning the game with my heretical Tau presence you should blame them. :rolleyes:

To those who play a serious Tau list you have my respect, to those of you who got them cause they looked cool you can shove it and eat lance strikes untill the table begins burn.

First of all, what's a "serious" Tau list?

Second, yeah, that makes a lot of god-damned sense. Let's attack people and tell them to "shove it" because they did what you're really SUPPOSED to do when picking an army, and chose one that they found the most aesthetically appealing. Am I crazy here or what, does everyone else play with an army they hate the look of? Am I doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

theres a reason for that rage bit

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

countless times I have asked a indavidual usualy of younger age about there Tau list and they simply reply with "well I dont know to much about it I got these cause they looked cool

...I still don't understand where your "rage bit" comes from.

How many times have you asked younger gamers why they went with a Space Marine list and got "Because they look cool!" as a response, and why is this any worse in the Tau's case?

Well, if people think they look cool they look cool.

No, that isn't good enough. Only Spess Mahreenz and Choas players can pick armies based on aesthetics.

Ok, call me some stoopid k1d for liking something similar to a video game or even anime.

Yep, absolutely right. The concepts of free will and thought are naive and silly, only a child would seriously believe in that kinda thing.

Some people don't like anything inspired by the East

I'll admit some Japanese stuff is pretty god-damned weird, but yeah, I don't understand where a lot of the hate comes from myself.

In either case, if you don't like that kinda thing and Tau as a result, then just don't pick Tau as your army.

I love there style and look, granted what put people off is they cant realy be built to be very cheesy like almost every other army and due to this lack of auto win builds people seem to disklike them.

Actually a lot of people complained that Tau were "broken" in 4th edition, and bitched incessantly about everything from pulse rifles to JSJ. Now that Tau got severely neutered and aren't really competitive at all though, they're apparently too bad and shouldn't even exist because there are other more powerful/interesting armies that we could have instead. :rolleyes:

Orcboy_Phil
01-07-2009, 07:55
Tau may not be imposing in the 40k world and to be honest they do add a bit of much needed variety But I just dont see why one race should be discontinued in favor of creating a new one, if you read the fluff the Slaan and the Tau are remarkably similar. Over all I would say Tau are a very Aesthetic army that if your like me you just think "wow more anime super robo"

I can't really see the Tau and Slann being similer. One using arcane semi-mystical weaponary and the other relying on pure tech. One being isolationist and the other embracing diversity.

To those who play a serious Tau list you have my respect, to those of you who got them cause they looked cool you can shove it and eat lance strikes untill the table begins burn. (theres a reason for that rage bit, countless times I have asked a indavidual usualy of younger age about there Tau list and they simply reply with "well I dont know to much about it I got these cause they looked cool")

This is the most argonant thing I've seen today. Its one thing to dislike an army or its astehtic, but to basically say the people who like a certain asthetic are children is just not on. The look of an army is its most important aspect for me. When I came back to 40k I chose Tau precisly because of the way they looked. The battlesuits where the big draw for me along with the colour scheme. Its the reason that no matter how good the Dark Eldar army is and how much I want a slice of that pie, I'll never collect them. The models are pugly and the BDSM look to them is a turn off.

genestealer_baldric
01-07-2009, 08:02
Actually a lot of people complained that Tau were "broken" in 4th edition, and bitched incessantly about everything from pulse rifles to JSJ. Now that Tau got severely neutered and aren't really competitive at all though, they're apparently too bad and shouldn't even exist because there are other more powerful/interesting armies that we could have instead. :rolleyes:

i think you got the wrong of the stick there, iam saying i like tau and currently building up my tau army at the moment. Most people build "not cheesy" but competative builds, and ive only started tau in this ed so i dont know how they were before.

I meant that its alot harder to win a game with tau than nids, orks and marines, but i enjoy being the underdog and i dont think ive had as much fun with a army for a while. I would be realy annoyed if GW "Squated" them but i realy doupt that would happen.

Sidstyler
01-07-2009, 08:14
It is a lot harder to win now, that's the point I was trying to make. Before 5th edition the most common complaint was "Tau are BS they're overpowered", and now I see a lot more "Tau shouldn't even be in the game and they suck" sentiments post 5th.

Granted this particular thread seems to be a lot less about their playstyle and more about...what the hell is this even about?! Seriously, why is this thread not locked yet, the OP has given no reasoning or explanation as to why Tau should be written out of the game, it seems he made this thread purely to generate a negative response. Most of the time threads like this are locked on the spot, are they not?

For mankind
01-07-2009, 08:42
I do not like Tau, ( just to much of "we are the good guys")
BUT other players like them and play them, so why take that away from them?

Besides without the Tau thers is no one left my Standard Guardsman can beat up in hand to hand combat.

To make my point clear: alot of time and energy and money had been invested in tau armies all over the world, so why do want to destroy something others had worked for so hard?

Just because YOU don't like them? Come on thats nonsens!

Nephilim of Sin
01-07-2009, 08:52
There is nothing wrong with having the Tau as an established Race (except perhaps the 'Vespid').

*40k Timeline never advances!
*I am sick and tired of all the GrimDark in the setting!
*We need something need new to bring to the game!

Yeah, there are many more, but these are the arguments that are still going on. What happens when they bring out something new, and expand upon what we know?

'Tau suck!'...or 'Necrons suck', or specifically 'C'tan suck!'.

'But Tau weren't in Rogue Trader! It is different for us vets!'

Well, Rogue Trader is a completely different setting and game than 40k. Saying things like this (yeah, I used the line sarcastically, but it a collection of some thoughts on the matter) means that 40k died for you with RT. Nothing is the same, and even the similarities are grasping at straws.

'But the Tau stopped our beloved armies from getting released!!!!'.

Eh, no, doubt it. However, there is no excuse for lacking of armies like DE, Squats, etc.... Still, don't blame the Tau for that. Blame Space Marines, Orks, and Imperial Guard, to name a few.

However, on the converse;

'4ok doesn't need anymore Fantasy in SPAAAAACE'.

40k is fantasy in space. It has always been, and always will be. Take out the fantasy element, and you are left with;

*Space Marines
*Imperial Guard
*Tyranids

Tau could possibly fit in there as an alien race, or easily as argued to be 'Cathay/Nippon' in space.

Basically, there is not a race that does not belong in the game. It is a galaxy-spanning epic. If you don't like the models, just do what everyone else does that doesn't like the models (or the rules); don't collect them. Simple as that. There are many models that I hate in 40k, there are many rules that I hate in 40k, and there are even armies that I dislike in 40k. That just means I will never collect Imperial Guard, Tyranids, or Eldar. Doesn't mean that they don't belong, though.

big squig
01-07-2009, 09:08
40k is fantasy in space. It has always been, and always will be. Take out the fantasy element, and you are left with;

*Space Marines
*Imperial Guard
*Tyranids

Bretonians and Empire and....ok, there's no equivalent to nids in fantasy, I'll give ya that. :D

Crazy Ivan
01-07-2009, 09:41
I have to voice my support for the Tau. They are an interesting race, one that has a new dynamic and actually interacts with the Imperium in an interesting way, instead of all the "unimaginably horrible and ancient enemies of DOOOM!". I love those, but I think 40k has enough of them.

The Tau, along with the Tyranids, are what makes the Eastern Fringe, to me, the most interesting location in the galaxy. I like the fact that have a growing number of Alien allies and auxiliaries, which actually suggest that the Milky Way is far more interesting and full of life than just Humans, Eldar, Orks and ancient killbots.

For a reason why Tau are awesome, read the Tau background for BFG. There is a conversation between an Imperial Admiral and a Tau Ethereal which I consider to be one of the most interesting bits of background of the whole of 40k.

Tokamak
01-07-2009, 10:00
The Tau are a brilliant race, not only conceptually very clever, but they're also a gateway to other less important races. They're the ones that can bring new stuff as mercenaries into the storyline without spoiling anything.

Also ideologically very refreshing, diplomatic expansion in a universe full of 'WROAH KILL!!!' has got to lead to interesting situations.

For a reason why Tau are awesome, read the Tau background for BFG. There is a conversation between an Imperial Admiral and a Tau Ethereal which I consider to be one of the most interesting bits of background of the whole of 40k.

Oh yes, that's my favourite story as well, there's also a story about a tau captive being interrogated by humans in the 'Xenology' book.