PDA

View Full Version : terradon drop rocks restrictions

Shadowsinner
01-07-2009, 00:18
so here are a few issues that I have had playing against the new terradons and it makes me wonder how broken this mechanic might be. here are three scenarios

the opponent flies his terradons out from behind a hill and over my unit 20 inches away even though there is no LOS to the unit.

I have aunit of shades entirely concealed within a wood, but my opponent flies over the wood and drops rocks in the wood

and finally, my block unit is 17 inches away from the terradons, they fly 17.5 over the unit and fly the remaining 2.5 inches straight back toward their origional position.

are these all legal? I think the rule should have some clarification on selected targets and especially ones in cover

Shamfrit
01-07-2009, 00:24
Put simply - they're all perfectly legal, and should form part of your considerations for dealing with them next game.

Drop Rocks is not what makes Terradons so great, Arboreal Hunters (move through woods) is!

Please try to remember, they're 40 points each, it's a once per game ability, and your T3 unarmoured Elves - of course it'll hurt!

jrodrag
01-07-2009, 00:29
Actually they are both what makes them great. Some in my group continually lament the fact that their Terradons can't rip things apart in H2H anymore. I say the new ones are twice as good as the old ones and are a bit overpowered now, escpecially in large units. All of the situations described above are, more or less, legal. And the only one I might squint at is the 17.5 forward and 2.5 back. I could see arguments for it both ways. And don't forget that the feigned flight rules add to the goodness that is the Terradon.

Ultimate Life Form
01-07-2009, 01:06
Well, Shamfrit, as a faithful disciple of the Old Ones, I seem to be blessed by the gods for I get MY Terradons at 30pts each.:rolleyes: It's the power of Itzl!

And as for the "Arboreal Predator is great" and "Elves are hurt" arguments - can you imagine that against Wood Elves I do NOT want to stick them in woods?:p

Anyways, yes, these are valid tactics we already find in the oldest writings of the Lizardmen (aka 5th Ed army book) and will be applied by any cunning Lizardmen General.

Loq-Gor
01-07-2009, 03:58
Most definately good tactics, and I must say they don't suck that much in close combat. I used a unit of three with an attached chief to wipe out a unit of WE Scouts, Glade Guard, Noble (or what ever a hero level warrior is called) and a hero level wizard. The scouts got hit with the rocks and then mauled everything else was just close combat. This was a thousand point game too, so this was a substantial part of his army. That said they are excellent against elves, and dwarfs from my experience, but their use is limited against other armies. So overpowered? Perhaps against DE, but of virtually no use against armies that favour massive numbers, heavy cav, or heavy infantry.

Paz
01-07-2009, 07:35
and finally, my block unit is 17 inches away from the terradons, they fly 17.5 over the unit and fly the remaining 2.5 inches straight back toward their origional position.

Teradons cant zig-zag. Flying units move in a steight line (=> RB), only screamers are exeption (=> DoC AB).

What do you think about "drop rocks" wording? can they drop rocks while charging?

Atrahasis
01-07-2009, 07:45
Flyers can zig-zag as long as they are not charging. You should probably read the rulebook before citing it.

Milgram
01-07-2009, 09:17
You should probably read the rulebook before citing it.

and when you have read it, then go to this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198813&page=3) which probably never has convinced atrahasis on what 'stop' means. :)

Gazak Blacktoof
01-07-2009, 10:55
Milgram, I don't know whether I should laugh or cry when reading threads like that.

Milgram
01-07-2009, 11:19
depends on whether you are participating or not. :)

Gazak Blacktoof
01-07-2009, 11:23
If I'm participating its usually both.

Mireadur
01-07-2009, 12:08
Indeed it feels strange to see the RAW standard bearer of Warseer going RAI suddenly. But that link doesnt make his statement wrong, does it?

I mean this one:

Flyers can zig-zag as long as they are not charging. You should probably read the rulebook before citing it.

Paz
01-07-2009, 13:19

RB p. 68 moving flying units 1st paragraph

Milgram
01-07-2009, 13:50
But that link doesnt make his statement wrong, does it?

never said that. it is just an addition to this one here. the question is answered above anyway. :)

nosferatu1001
01-07-2009, 13:53
Paz - it then goes on to say, if you read the entire section, that flyers may indeed pivot and change direction as often as they wish as long as they are not charging.

reading the whole section is a good idea, given how often they say one thnig and mean another....

Loq-Gor
01-07-2009, 17:12
Also regardless of the fact that the second paragraph of that section begins with a sentence stating how flyers can change direction, nothing about the first paragraph says they can't change direction. The only rule the first paragraph gives is the distance flyers can move.