PDA

View Full Version : Help with Beasts against Vampires

txamil
01-07-2009, 03:16
Any suggestions?

stonetroll
01-07-2009, 03:55
Depending on who of you is going to the gym more, you might want to try this army:

I didn't want to have to do this.

Beastlord: lv 4, 4 power stones, heavy armor, shield
Bray shaman: lv 2, 2 power stones, bray staff

x11 tzeentch chariots

43 power dice if all power stones are used. Very scary and when it comes to CC, chariots mean death. Especially when they tag team on units.

Make sure you have bigger biceps then him when you bring this though, else you might be leaving the store with a black eye ;).

zeekill
01-07-2009, 04:05
1) Mark EVERYTHING YOU CAN Khorne. Those extra attacks will do well against the weak undead. Plus the extra dispel dice will kill his magic, which is 100% absolutely necessary. Trust me I play Counts.

2) Chariots are a no-no. Chariots are for charging into combat and breaking the enemy in a single turn. Sadly, undead dont break, and even worse, they come back from the dead! This means that your chariots will end up stuck in tarpits for probably the entire game if you take them.

3) Beast Herds ambushing is good. Getting a rear charge with a herd in addition to a frontal charge from something strong like... a minotaur unit means death.

4) Know your enemy. Does he use skeletons or ghouls? Find out. Skeletons are WS 2, T 3, with a 4+ AS in combat; while ghouls are WS 3, T 4, with no save. If he uses skellies, take things with high strength and front charge. You should be ok. If he takes ghouls, take things that can flank.

5) GENERAL. Kill it. A good way to do this is probably locate the unit he is in and send 1-2 ambushing beast herds to its flank/rear and a strong Unit champion or Fighting Character in the front to challenge. Vampires are WS 6, T 4, with 2 wounds. As for a save, most of the time the flayed harberk is used, and will give him a 2+ save. Take something that has high str or ignores armor. Not too hard to kill. Alternatively just take things that can kill his unit and if you win combat resolution by enough you will cause him do die from combat resolution. If his units begin to crumble, ignore Core and take out specials and rares, they are the only ones that have a chance to survive crumbling. The rest will kill themselves.

6) WATCH THE **** OUT FOR BLOOD KNIGHTS. I repeat, BLOOD KNIGHTS WILL KILL ANYTHING YOU THROW AT THEM if they charge. Take them out with range or, because the are frenzied, redirect them away from the battle. For this take minimum units of Hounds.

Follow these steps and you too can prevent forest fires--- ahhh I mean beat Vampire Counts

zeekill
01-07-2009, 04:10
Depending on who of you is going to the gym more, you might want to try this army:

I didn't want to have to do this.

Beastlord: lv 4, 4 power stones, heavy armor, shield

x11 tzeentch chariots

43 power dice if all power stones are used. Very scary and when it comes to CC, chariots mean death. Especially when they tag team on units.

Make sure you have bigger biceps then him when you bring this though, else you might be leaving the store with a black eye ;).
LOL that list is MEANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Then again, I prefer a real list, not cheeze. If your life depends on this game, go right on ahead, but people will want to strangle you.

Griffery
01-07-2009, 07:03
That list could work... but you shouldn't. You need to make sure you have some magic defense. You don't want any nasty spells getting through or vanhels. Also khorne could work very well for the extra atks.

SuperArchMegalon
01-07-2009, 10:45
I think the idea behind the chariot list is that four of them piling into a unit of Skeletons will cripple it, no matter where he charges from... nevermind a flank...

Lordmonkey
01-07-2009, 11:51
Go for Khorne and gang up on units. Frenzy means ITP and allows you to grind units faster. Take plenty of casters (caddies) but tool up your general to be an infantry-slaying combat monster - those twin axes (Axes of Khorgor?) are ideal for this. Basically, mitigate as much magic as possible and then grind the skeletons under your hooves.

Make sure that your army consists of a few BIG beast herds supported by Chariots.

Varghulfs, Black Coaches, Wraiths and Blood Knights will eat you. These are all rare choices and should be avoided like the plague. Your general with a magic weapon will eat the wraiths, and the varghulf can be killed with massed attacks, but the Blood Knights and Coach are both difficult to deal with. If you can get a charge on either of them, do so, but make sure it's a winning attack.

bork da basher
02-07-2009, 06:44
use that chariot list once and see how many flying vamps with avatar of death (GW) he takes next game. also blood knights would carve through them.

really chariots won't work against undead they can't do enough damage on the charge to wipe out a unit then you will be beaten roundly the following turn and forced to flee.

jmcg1989
02-07-2009, 13:04
morghur list
if i remember correctly this guy can cripple magic lists

Kalec
02-07-2009, 13:17
20 Khorne chariots, a bray shaman with the staff of sorcery, and a khorne doombull with the slaughterers blade. Fill the rest of your points with warhounds.

WhiteKnight
03-07-2009, 03:05
The morghur list is frowned upon yet is very nasty. When you pile lots of ld 5 warhounds up together, they most likely fail leadership checks, become spawns, then are basically turned from 6 point models to 60 point models that will do some hurt.

Wolfblaze
03-07-2009, 10:04
LOL my freind who plays beasts is such a powergamer

At first he was going chariot spam, then changed to nurgle minataurs, then he ended up doing the morghur army, i still won tho cuz he is nub :P I was HE magic heavy btw.

To the OP - Watch your low ldship vs his fear, thats probably the biggest threat, and if you go khorne, dispel wisely and gang on units and character hunt you should have an easy time of it :) gud luck!

decker_cky
03-07-2009, 23:33
Morghur isn't overpowered. He's annoying for dragging out games and having complicated rules, but he pays 400 pts, removes the army general and gives everything in the army unruly for his ability. That means you panic lots of hounds when you make them into spawn.

He would be rather mean against a non-ghoul VC army though.

Dag
04-07-2009, 02:06
big khorne herds, nurgle mino's so you have a 4+ save, brashaman with darkoth, and a nurgle bestigor, or khorn bestigor unit. both are itp till you lose combat.

while the tzeench chariots looks like a crazy good idea, just remember your ld 7. 1/2 your chariots will fail to charge leaving tons of times you see 1 going in just waiting to autobreakand run, always hitting into a herd or something else squishy.

sephiroth87
05-07-2009, 02:41
Speaking from the vantage point of someone who plays both beasts and VC, you're going to get screwed if you bring a bunch of frenzied models. VC players just dump down a unit of zombies at odd angles and you have to charge and overrun somewhere stupid.

To beat them, you want your lord's unit (I suggest the beastlord with the slaughterer's blade) running at a fairly large size (think 25 beastmen) with your lord running the mark of nurgle. The nurgle mark is necessary to pass fear tests. And no matter how many power dice you get, tzeentch chariots will never make it into combat with skeletons. If you're going to run chariots (and they DO work against undead in numbers), run them undivided. Two tests to pass fear tests is stellar and you will run roughshod over skeleton units when you're declaring chariot charges 3 at a time.

I also suggest minotaurs (nurgle), so that they can grind through the skeleton units and keep them to managable levels until you can hit them in the side with another unit.

A pretty good list to run would be a beastlord with slaughterer's blade and nurgle mark, a wargor with gear, and two shamans with braystaffs (staves?) and maxed out dispel scrolls. Use the scrolls to stop the danse. Take 4 or 5 chariots, 2 units of nurgle minos, a few beast herds, a couple of minimum units of dogs, and a chaos giant. That giant can do pretty well against an army with no shooting. And his stubborn 10 leadership will hold against the fear causing block units if your little guys run away.

Harwammer
05-07-2009, 08:51
big khorne herds, nurgle mino's so you have a 4+ save, brashaman with darkoth, and a nurgle bestigor, or khorn bestigor unit. both are itp till you lose combat.

You'd need your army to have gorthor as your leader; he is the only beastman that allows you to have god marked minotaurs alongside mixed marked units.

Seph has the right idea for what direction to go in; nurgle taurs, nurgle lord w/ S.blade and undivided chariots to add crunch to charges.

I haven't tried it against VC myself, but you might want to give slaanesh magic a go. The BoC slaanesh lore doesn't have as many of the 'won't work against ITP' restrictions that its WoC sister lore has. You also have a decent chance of rolling frenzy or unbreakable spells to stop your troops running away.

Gaargod
05-07-2009, 22:49
Doombull with heavy armour, shield, mark of khorne, Axes of Khorgor
6 units of 4 Minotaurs of Khorne with standard bearer and great weapons (or extra hand weapons against undead maybe)
7 units of 5 hounds
Total = 1999

Its an anti magic list which, like ogres to an extent, chops through undead faster than he can raise them (9 DD doesn't hurt either). Etheral units are a pain, but if the doombull gets anyways near them expect them to evaporate (8 WS6 rerolling hits S5 attacks!). Ta da. This (sort of list), Morghur hound spam and the tzeentch chariot spam list are Beasts cheesy lists :D.

Of course, if you don't want to do this, standard anti VC tactics apply. Kill the general asap (usually in bunker if caster lord or on zombie dragon/in blood knights. Caster lord is easier to kill usually (ambush for starts), but will give you more problems magic wise).

Make things ITP if you can, otherwise they will grind your units slowly down until you autobreak from fear. Knights (both black and blood) and vargulfs will be problematic unless you manage to get big things into them. Cairn wraiths will however be an absolute pain, as terror in your low LD army is a killer and their 3 S5 attacks each with etheral will chew through weaker units easily (also, 3 are small enough that you rank up 4 wide against them, so no rank bonus = bad for beast herd).

Its not a great matchup tbh, like daemons.

txamil
06-07-2009, 13:50
Alright, well, there's definitely some ideas to start working with here. Thanks!