PDA

View Full Version : taking panic tests in close combat

hohenheim
01-07-2009, 03:31
Please forgive me if this is an obvious question, I'm a newbie:

Does a unit have to take a panic test when "3) A friendly unit within 6" breaks from combat" if the unit is already in close combat? Does it matter if the unit is in the same close combat and/or it already passed its break test?

For the other panic test reasons (friendly unit within 6" destroyed, fleeing friends move through), are those taken while in close combat as well?

Thanks!

Necromancy Black
01-07-2009, 04:00
Unit in combat ignore all psychology cause by units outside of combat (so terror from a nearby monster would be ignored, but not if they were in combat with such a creature)

During the entire close combat phase no unit will ever panic from taking 25% casualties, no matter what causes them.

Avian
01-07-2009, 06:10
Slightly incorrect, units in close combat don't take psychology test (rulebook p. 48), it has nothing to do with whether or not the source is outside the combat or not.

Adran
01-07-2009, 07:32
Unit in combat ignore all psychology cause by units outside of combat (so terror from a nearby monster would be ignored, but not if they were in combat with such a creature)

During the entire close combat phase no unit will ever panic from taking 25% casualties, no matter what causes them.

I don't think this is quite true. A fleeing chariot can cause wounds in the close combat phase that do cause panic tests.
But that is the only thing I can think of that would.
[/nit pick]

Necromancy Black
01-07-2009, 09:19
The first warhammer FAQ says that a panic test for 25% casualties is never taken during the close combat phase.

Also, I never said they take psychology tests, I said affected. In close comabt you can still be outnumbered by fear causers and such.

Avian
01-07-2009, 10:06
Again, you are not exactly correct.

Let us say that I use my Warshrine on a unit of Chaos Warriors locked in combat with some Dark Elf Spearmen. I roll the result that gives them Terror.

In the next Dark Elf turn, the Spearmen do not have to test for Terror, because units in combat don't take psychology tests. If what you are saying was true they would have to test, because the unit is in the combat with them.

So nearly right and in most cases there wouldn't be a difference, but not exactly right. ;)

Necromancy Black
01-07-2009, 10:12
But if they become outnumbered by the warshrine they would be affected as they would be outnumbered by fear/terror causes.

So, still affected, just don't have to take psychology tests.

Avian
01-07-2009, 12:36
Which is what I have been saying all along. :p

Adran
01-07-2009, 13:17
The first warhammer FAQ says that a panic test for 25% casualties is never taken during the close combat phase.

Curse you FAQ.

You're right

Necromancy Black
01-07-2009, 22:42
Which is what I have been saying all along. :p

So we've been arguing over saying the same thing :p

Also, love the no panic tests from casualties in the close combat phase rule. Stops Salamanders panicing when that damn Dwarf Rune blows a warmachine up in my face.

jrodrag
01-07-2009, 23:46
The unfortunate part about the FAQ is that is doesn't seem to take all things that could happen in the CC phase into account. I racked my brain and Settra causes hits to all units around him when he dies. A unit that was not involved in a combat that round could end up taking 25% casualties and not have to test according to the FAQ but would have had to test before the FAQ, and in my opinion should still have to test. I couldn't think of anything else that causes damage to units not in combat during the CC phase, anybody else?

Necromancy Black
02-07-2009, 06:12
The BRB did say that the CC phase was excepted from the rule but it didn't say it in a clear way (surprise surprise). I don't see this as a new rule at all, and I'm happy to avoid taking panic from 25% casualties in the CC phase. There are still a ton of other ways to panic people.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-07-2009, 11:13
I agree, the rule is there in black and white in the rule book.

EvC
02-07-2009, 11:41
Just think about it guys: you have a unit in combat with an enemy, and it wipes out its enemy, but not before they have killed 25% of the unit. So in that case we'd have a unit that has taken 25% casualties and should take a panic test therefore. Good thing the rules are there to tell us not to take tests for 25% casualties then ;)

Necromancy Black
02-07-2009, 12:49
Mostly it's things like a chariot fleeing from combat and hitting another unit and doing 15% casualties, or say 5 COR charge a dwarf warmachine, kill the crew but then it has that rune that blows it up, killing 2 COR.

Both of these would normally cause a panic test from taking 25% casualties but because it's the close combat phase they don't.

That's what some people are annoyed about.