PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any GW stuff that you look back on with happy memories?

theenigma
01-07-2009, 16:11
Hi there folks,

Well it looks like it won't be long before the UK GamesDay kicks off, I know that some GD’s have already taken place but I wanted to wait until there was a bit of breathing space before posting this up.

I am curious to know what your most treasured GW item is. This could be a Codex signed by some of the GW team(s) or perhaps winning an award for a model that you entered but didn’t expect to make the grade. Perhaps even a model that has a lot of significance for you (I won a few models at local comps, I don't think I have opened them to this day!) :p

Over the past few GD’s I have been to (‘97 and ’05), my most cherished item is leaving with my sanity(!)… Well that and getting some of my Codex books signed by some really great folks. :D

I was fortunate at GD ’97 to get an advance order GorkaMorka bundle a few days before the event, I decided to take my “Da ‘Uvver Book” with me and I got it signed by quite a few of the guys there despite my not wanting to approach them (I thought they might confiscate it as it hadn’t been officially released at the time, I remember Andy Chambers asking me how I managed to get hold of it and what I thought of it!). I can't make out all the signatures but I know that I got both of the Perry twins to sign it along with Rich Potter, Rik Priestly, Neil Green, Steve Walk and a few others that I can’t for the life of me “untangle”!

I also got the GD programme signed by Steve A(nastoff?), a chap called “Torch” and I believe Andy Chambers!

At the ’05 GD I took along my Codex Space Marines and the WD that was released early for the event (309). I got the Codex signed by Jes Goodwin and also Mark Harrison (I think, going by the squiggly sig!). I managed to get the programme signed by Paul “Rudgie” Rudge himself. I wasn’t expecting to bump into him but we crossed paths just by the remote control Baneblade that they were running throughout the day.

I don’t think I would ever want to get rid of any of these items as they remind me of the great times I have had with the hobby over the 13 odd years that I have spent taking part in it. I know that times have changed and that there still is a lot of frustration at how GW are treating us but, at least for a little while, I can be teleported back a decade or so (rose tinted glasses intact!) to enjoy what the hobby used to be for me primarily and that is fun!

Please feel free to share your tales of any GW collectables that are in your possession. What are they, how did you get them and why do you treasure them?

Look forward to your replies,

Cheers,
Harv:D

Jedi152
01-07-2009, 16:15
Loads of stuff. As for signed stuff, i've got my 4th edition Orcs and Goblins book that's signed by almost everyone (first GD, '94) and a ton of BL stuff.

As for stuff with happy memories, lots of early 40k stuff. I still dig out my old 2nd ed. Wargear book and Codex Imperialis and pore over them like i did when i was 13.

Son of the Lion
01-07-2009, 17:22
I still have my '92 Golden Daemon stub somewhere. I have a couple of autographed books and posters.

Probably my most cherished possession though, is my very very battered copy of the original rogue trader rulebook (which I bought at aforementioned golden daemon).

Harry
01-07-2009, 19:41
I got given this, signed by everyone, for some small contribution.
I remember how much I loved the cover art by John Blanche.
I remember how much I was sold on the idea of warhammer before it even hit the shelves.
I also still love the Red Catalogue.

LonelyPath
01-07-2009, 19:59
I have a whole bunch of Xmas and Birthday cards fomr GW somewhere that built up over the years and a few other odd nicknacks like that. They remind me of why I've stayed loyal to them over the years like many of the old Citadel Catalogues from 80's and early 90's.

My Realms of Chaos books and hardback RT and WFB 3E books signed by the authors/designers.

I also have the 1st edition Bloodbowl from many years ago with which I had a couple of fun games against Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.

Karnage
01-07-2009, 21:09
The only signed GW books that I own at the moment are my hardback 40K 5th edition rulebook signed by Jervis and Alessio at the Design Studio Open Day earlier this year, and my copy of Imperial Armour Volume 6 which was signed by Warwick Kinrade due to it being a FW preorder. I'm not sure if "treasured" is the right word for them but I am happy that I have them and don't really read the big rulebook outside of the house, having got my smaller book for my gaming sessions :D

violenceha
01-07-2009, 23:54
Licking my old lead minis.

Really, anything pre red era, i've got boxes of old Jes Godwin stuff i go through now and then, and a bunch of old rule books/ army books, all of it reminds me why i got into the hobby in the first place.

snurl
02-07-2009, 06:42
Dwarf on skis
Collectacard dwarf
Golden Demon finalist badge
Cardstock buildings from everything. (Dont know why, but they have grown on me over the years)

Baggers
02-07-2009, 07:00
To be honest everything I own. All of its brought me some joy and I love owning it. I think that might be the collector in me coming out though.

Jedi152
02-07-2009, 08:20
I remember how much I was sold on the idea of warhammer before it even hit the shelves.
Hmmm ... Services rendered to GW? The mysteries that surround Harry deepen...

AndrewGPaul
02-07-2009, 08:40
I had an A3 print of Mark Gibbons' Green Knight art from the 5th edition Warehamer Armies: Bretonnia. I traded it to a friend for some OOP minis. Still got a couple of other signed prints somewhere, but not as cool as that one.

Fenrir
02-07-2009, 09:18
My copy of Slaves to Darkness.

xowainx
02-07-2009, 09:56
Many things, but one that stands out is White Dwarf 180 that has a photo of me aged 11 at Games Day 1994 in it.

Helbane
02-07-2009, 11:40
'Many things, but one that stands out is White Dwarf 180 that has a photo of me aged 11 at Games Day 1994 in it. '

Lucky you!! i've been to the past 3 GD's and have searched in vain through countless white dwarfs for pics of me and my mates in the vast crowds :cries:
anyway its got to be the forgeworld slann i got at the '06 games day - well worth the £7!!

Son of the Lion
02-07-2009, 11:57
Many things, but one that stands out is White Dwarf 180 that has a photo of me aged 11 at Games Day 1994 in it.

Hah, all I managed to find one of the back of my head from '94.

Rioghan Murchadha
02-07-2009, 17:37

Harry, you're a dirty bastard and I hate you so much! :p
(That was a joke obviously)

Pretty much everything I own GW related that's more than 10 years old is a treasured item. Not because they're collecters items, nor because the games are 'better' or more streamlined, or whatnot. Largely because that time period contained so much wacky fun. All the crazy boxed games they used to put out. (Chaos Marauders anyone? Best drinking game ever) And the core games themselves were full of crazy fun. I don't remember anyone I played with whining about anything being 'cheesy' or 'overpowered' (That includes 5th edition WFB Chaos Lords ;))

I used to play GW games over other wargames because they had that hint of crazy about them. Nowadays they seem to just make bland, characterless, sub-par rulesets to flog minis for. I still buy minis from them, but I tend to play the older versions of the games.

Duke Georgal
02-07-2009, 18:00
I have two army books signed by Anthony Reynolds (Lizardmen and Wood Elfs), but my most treasured item is my Black Coach that I converted from a Steam Tank for my Empire themed VC army.

Harry
02-07-2009, 21:06
Hmmm ... Services rendered to GW? The mysteries that surround Harry deepen...
Well ... believe it or not when I was just a boy I heard a rumour :D that GW were going to make a set of Fantasy wargames rules so I wrote them a letter encouraging them to do so with a few ideas of my own.
I also pointed out that they would need to get Citadel Miniature to add to the individual character figures they produced for role playing and start making minis in regiments with troopers, standard bearers, and captains. I seem to remember trying to convince them they would sell loads more minis this way. :D

(I think they might have already thought of this. :D But they were kind enough to send me a nice thankyou for my thoughts).

Harry, you're a dirty bastard and I hate you so much! :p
Well, thanks for that. :D

LonelyPath
02-07-2009, 21:14
Harry, I wrote to GW around 1990 suggesting what they later turned into the Battleforce sets, it seemed like such a great obvious idea, though it did take them a few more years to really catch onto it. However, I think my idea was more about 1 or 2 piece miniatures, a character model of some choice and that sort of thing, what people would generally need to start collecting an army back then. The army arrangements had changed alot before they started producing boxes of that size in number of minis though.

I was rummaging about in an old box today (hnting down some of my AWOL skeletons as I want to lop their heads off for something) and came across a musty of copy of the Chainsaw Warrior game and GW's Judge Dredd RPG. They really brought back fond memories :)

Shamfrit
02-07-2009, 21:27
Black Coach that I converted from a Steam Tank for my Empire themed VC army.

*Throws his army idea out of the window* :p.

I still have a (very badly) painted Everqueen of Ulthuan Model and a single Hand Maiden Musician from my first dip into Warhammer in 1997-9. Those were the days :)

(Of overpowered glory...)

Triggerdog
02-07-2009, 22:08
My first Dreadnought

Roguebaron
02-07-2009, 22:17
I had jes goodwin sign his Gothic and Eldrich book for me back in 2000, really like the book. I also have the 2002 fantasy miniatures book which I wasn't going to buy until I found out my land raider was in it, a nice surprise.