PDA

View Full Version : help for a color blind painter >_<

hohenheim
01-07-2009, 15:42
What color is the GW paint "Tin Bitz"? Is it brownish? Also, is it metallic?

I'm red-green colorblind and trying to buy some paints/decide on a color scheme for my new Chaos Warriors. Currently not sure what combination of Blood Red/Red Gore/Scab Red/Tin Bitz is best for a base on the armor (they'll be Khorne).

Thanks much!

p.s. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, please move if it's not...

Tokamak
01-07-2009, 15:47
Tin bitz is a deep brown metallic, often used as the darkest basecoat for metallic surfaces. You're going for a pretty dark red there, I would advise to use a lighter metallic (like dwarven bronze) so the metal stands out.

Usually using metal for the base armour of warriors doesn't turn out very well, there's only a few exceptions (golden daemon winners and plain undyed metal) that pull it off well. But of course it's also a matter of taste.

A Khorne warrior is typically blood red (some prefer a lighter mix off blood red / blazing orange) with dwarven bronze on the edges and ornaments. Bronze also returns often in the background and imagery of the Khorne god.

I hope this helps.

Duke Georgal
01-07-2009, 16:29
Everything Tokamak said is true.

We had a colorblind player in our group that painted a magnificent army.

It was all done in various shades and tone of blue. He would choose a color for the base coat, and then lighten it with ivory for highlights. It was monochrome, and absolutely beautiful.

hohenheim
01-07-2009, 16:39
Tin bitz is a deep brown metallic, often used as the darkest basecoat for metallic surfaces. You're going for a pretty dark red there, I would advise to use a lighter metallic (like dwarven bronze) so the metal stands out.

Usually using metal for the base armour of warriors doesn't turn out very well, there's only a few exceptions (golden daemon winners and plain undyed metal) that pull it off well. But of course it's also a matter of taste.

A Khorne warrior is typically blood red (some prefer a lighter mix off blood red / blazing orange) with dwarven bronze on the edges and ornaments. Bronze also returns often in the background and imagery of the Khorne god.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, that helps a lot! I guess I'll use Tin Bitz base for the undyed armor plates. For the other armor plates either Dwarven Bronze base with Blood Red washed over or Blood Red base with Dwarven Bronze highlights...

Tokamak
01-07-2009, 17:12
Okay, awesome!

Everything Tokamak said is true.

We had a colorblind player in our group that painted a magnificent army.

It was all done in various shades and tone of blue. He would choose a color for the base coat, and then lighten it with ivory for highlights. It was monochrome, and absolutely beautiful.

Yes, I've also seen an army on display in warhammer world by a colour blind painter (i'm kicking myself for forgetting his name). He used orks speed freaks, and it had an amazingly bright vibe, with lots of yellows and blues, proving that colour blindness does not have to be a handicap at all.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-07-2009, 17:20
Tokamak, I think that army was also in a white dwarf, though it must have been a few years ago as I've not bought one in a long time.

Finnigan2004
01-07-2009, 17:26
My eye doctor told me that I'm borderline colour blind (can never see those stupid dot diagrams). I have also noticed that I prefer very strong colours and highlights. Sometimes I simply go with it.

If I want to know how it will look to other people; however, there are a couple of things that I have found to compensate over the years. One thing that helps is to read books about painting. Many of the GW books have step by step diagrams and explain how to create certain effects and colours, which I sometimes use to replicate colours that I like. Also, my wife is a very good painter, so I often ask how my model is looking as I go. She tells me whether it needs more work, or whether it looks reasonably good. Asking others who have ability is always a good choice.

Tokamak
01-07-2009, 17:33
Tokamak, I think that army was also in a white dwarf, though it must have been a few years ago as I've not bought one in a long time.

Yes he also featured in a white dwarf, it's an italian guy, I think it was 'delaphina' as surname.

Insane Psychopath
01-07-2009, 17:40
Okay, awesome!

Yes, I've also seen an army on display in warhammer world by a colour blind painter (i'm kicking myself for forgetting his name). He used orks speed freaks, and it had an amazingly bright vibe, with lots of yellows and blues, proving that colour blindness does not have to be a handicap at all.

It was George Dellapina who work for Warhammer World & was colour blind.

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/?cat=128

He won quite a lot of best painted armies award from the Grand Tournament & local tournaments. He also painted some stuff for Forge World.

IP

Desert Rain
02-07-2009, 16:41
Wow, I'm impressed. Very impressed.

TeddyC
02-07-2009, 22:37
im red green colour blind and never had much issue with it.... in fact most of my dwarfs are red/green based.

Grimbad
03-07-2009, 00:56
It was George Dellapina who work for Warhammer World & was colour blind.

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/?cat=128

Also, that speed freeks army was in my favorite battle report of all time, and his feral orks inspired me to start playing orks in the first place. Both of his armies have been a constant inspiration through my career as an ork player, which is probably why my two main ork armies have been ferals and freeks.
His armored company almost made me start one of those, too.