PDA

View Full Version : Help pls with Galrauch-Throgg army...

Your Mum Rang
01-07-2009, 17:43
Hi all. I am looking for something a bit fun. I have toyed with non-engagement Druchii for my next army along with Asrai but I feel the pull of Chaos. There are two main pulls:

- I have a gorgeous Galrauch mini.
- I like the idea of converting Ogre Bulls into Nurglish Trolls.

However, I have no idea how to make a solid list with these two in mind. I was thinking of a Nurgle Sorceror Lord on Dragon as Nurgle is better than Tzeentch magic. Then between the Lord and Throgg I have magic and a BSB.

Any ideas?

PS: This will hopefully be moved to the right forum so just reply as though it was in the army list forum, I have notified a mod of my mistake.

the gribbly
01-07-2009, 18:12
Would not be quite as competative as some, but a core troll list that included Valkia and Throgg (and perhaps festus and/or another nurgle sorc) would be pretty cool and would max the benefits from EoTG. Double general/BsBs that only give up pts for a single general total is very good. Obviously core trolls would then free up specials for knights, and minotaurs (I mean ogres) for throggs retinue.
I doubt all that would fit in 2k but sounds tempting, at least to me. I cant wait for beasts! -grib

Gaargod
01-07-2009, 20:09
WHAT! Nurgle is NOT better than Tzeentch, especially at Lord level.

At hero level, going for Nurgle for Buboes spam is a very effective tactic. At lord level however, go for tzeentch for Gateway, as its just a crazy good spell. Either lord with spell familiar on dragon (and other gear obviously :D) or galrauch if you wanna go that way.

MSU of trolls can be quite nice. A mere 135 points for 3 of them - only 20 pts more expensive than 5 marauder horsmen with flails and khorne. 3 units of them and some marauder cav to redirect is nice.

Then load up on dragon ogres/ogres/knights. Take a couple of wizards too. So, if you're taking Galrauch and Throgg, something like....

Galrauch = 616 (!)

Throgg = 175

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch, lv2, barded steed, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield = 206

3 Trolls = 135
3 Trolls = 135
4 Trolls = 180

5 Marauder horsmen with musician and throwing spears = 76
5 Marauder horsmen with musician and throwing spears = 76

5 Chaos Knights with mark of khorne and standard = 250
5 Chaos Knights with mark of khorne and standard = 250

Total = 1999

Now, taking Valkia is more effective (would give you points for another wizard or more trolls/knights). The knights could be swapped for dragon ogres/ogres, but the knight models are awesome and the dragon ogres.... aren't. Could also take less knights and more trolls, or a sorc lord of tzeentch on dragon.

A lot of ways to play it.

Griffery
02-07-2009, 06:00
Yeah I think this could work out, however you have to be careful with how you use it. Also Nurgle is not the best. Tzeentch is so much better, between infernal gateway and pandaemonium. Also Nurgle seems to only have buboes.

danny-d-b
02-07-2009, 06:17
why is it that people say nurgle is rubbish at lord level, serioulsy, you should not build an army round tzeench magic only

seriouly

people getting that wound up over 1 spell, which can potencealy be amazing but so easly stoped

I mean to 'reliably' cast it you need 4 dice and the D3 (comeing out on avarge on 15 exactly) or 5 dice (on avrage 17.5) but of cource there is a high chance of misscasting with so many dice involved (though there is the same amount of chance to irrisatable force it) I mean people then might scarrble around for dice, but then realise if they dispel scroll it you have a maxium of 1-2 dice left he can use, so you big heavy dude is can be stopped two turns thanks to a singel scroll caddy which then you can use bacic magic dice and stuff to block off burbus

and even if you do get it off, the chances of it wipeing out a unit are so small, and your throwing 5 dice on the table for the chance you could do 2 S 2

on the other hand lore of nurgle is lower level to cast, and some of the spells though not gateway are so good, weather its burbusing temple guard/ iron breakers (the 1 spell which is a bit situational) makeing that big scary unit lose S and T, throwing a lot of D6 SD6 arrond, which kills wood elves and ogers very well as well as doing a lot of dammage to others at lower power than gateway

then ofcource you have burbubs which is great, regen which is cool and squal which if combined with curse becomes very nice when you get it off twise on T3 knights then say your wounding on you get 3D6 hits that kill on 4+!

bork da basher
02-07-2009, 06:57
I mean to 'reliably' cast it you need 4 dice and the D3 (comeing out on avarge on 15 exactly) or 5 dice (on avrage 17.5) but of cource there is a high chance of misscasting with so many dice involved (though there is the same amount of chance to irrisatable force it) I mean people then might scarrble around for dice, but then realise if they dispel scroll it you have a maxium of 1-2 dice left he can use, so you big heavy dude is can be stopped two turns thanks to a singel scroll caddy which then you can use bacic magic dice and stuff to block off burbus

and even if you do get it off, the chances of it wipeing out a unit are so small, and your throwing 15 dice on the table for the chance you could do 2 S 2

when your lord is mounted on a disc and casting it on turn 1 he will likely be out of scrolls very quickly. the sheer threat of it being cast will bring out the scrolls which is what you want when your other sorcerers can throw out pandemonium, treason and the all powerful flickering fire which is where the main damage comes from IMO. later in the game when you get gateway through it will generally make a large hole in whatever your casting against and once your they are out of scrolls he will use the majority of his DD to stop it. with tzeentch it's about overwhelming the enemy, with so many good spells he's going to have to let stuff through. i find gateway to be my main distraction, the enemy works so hard to get rid of it im left unhindered with everything else. flickering fire and treason is my main damage dealers, and pandemonium combined with a charge of fear causing knights is a thing of beauty.

alot of people don't like to mix their gods, myself being one of them and although the nurgle lore is generally good it's not as useful as tzeentch by a long long way.

reign beaux
07-07-2009, 09:50
I agree with Danny although Gateway is a potentially incredible spell it is very difficult to get off. don't get me wrong i love the law of tzeentch it is very powerful but as a WoC player i perfer the lore of nurgle and like festis especially because of the curse of the lepper. However you could change the lv.2 sorc to nurgle if you want to use both as tzeentch does have very high casting values. Anyway both lores have great potential and the rest of the list is solid just make sure you keep the trolls near throgg and vomit away (take that knights!!).

Cider
28-12-2009, 15:36
Ok
I have a throgg army and it works very nice. i dont need to worry about sorc and such and it hits hard

the base is 3 units of 4 trolls
one of those have throgg in it.
the next is 3 units of 4 dragon ogres with great weapons

i know its alot of points but the best part is where most people forget that dragon ogres have 4 wounds, and for the points cost are worth more then the chaos knight. depending on the size of the game,

i will add in a warshine or two. we usually play 2500 where i am so it allows for me to through other things in.

Chaseyboy1er
28-12-2009, 22:08
WHAT! Nurgle is NOT better than Tzeentch, especially at Lord level.

the fist nurlge spell in warriors is probably one of the best in the game.

danny-d-b
29-12-2009, 10:40
hang on

THREAD NECROMANSY!!!

please read dates before replying this thread died like 5 months ago!