PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia 2000 pt Back in the game

hoya4life3381
01-07-2009, 20:05
Looking to get back into WF after a long break. Stopped playing around 6th edition and haven't read much through 7th. Moved to a new place that has a healthy Warhammer Fantasy scene and want to get back in. Figure Brets are a good force to start back up since I had some of the models and the army book hasn't changed.

I understand that a lot has changed with more fearless, more monsters, and more nasty stuff in general. What do you guys think of this list as a start?

Lord on Pegasus with Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Gromril Great Helm, Tres of Isolude, Virtue of Heroism, and Grail Vow - 287

Paladin BSB with Virtue of Duty, Sword of Might, Heavy Armor, and Warhorse - 124

Damsel (Lvl 1) + Warhorse + 2 Scrolls - 130

Damsel (Lvl 1) + Warhorse + Scroll + Chalice - 125

8 Knight Errants + Full Command + Errantry Banner - 201 (BSB here)

8 Knights of the Realm + Full Command + Twilight Banner - 241 (Damsel here)

10 Peasant Bowmen + Skirmishing - 70

10 Peasant Bowmen - 60

3 Pegasus Knights + Musician - 175

5 Mounted Yeoman + Musician - 82

5 Grail Knights + Full Command + Warbanner - 240 (Damsel here)

Trebuchet - 90

Total: 2000

I've seen a lot of Greater Daemons, Dragons, and Stanks cruising around the store. Took this configuration from Stonetroll and it looks very promising. This hopefully deters all the nasty flyers out there which is a huge bane for this army. Plus it opens up a 2nd units of PK's. I like my shooting base with 20 archers and Treb. Can give Braziers by stripping off music elsewhere. Lots of magic defense for 2000 pts, but I dont' feel like I have a choice as magic is definitely in vogue at the store I'm at.

Questions I have:
1.How is the configuration on my BSB? I know that Virtue of Duty/Warbanner is a more common config. However, I wanted to save my Warbanner for my GK. If I lose one model from GK, I lose +1 resolution. I figure Warbanner is great way of getting that back since it's cheaper then the extra model. I also figure the unit is inbetween the effectiveness of a 6 and 9 man unit. I always feel like with GK you want more then 6, but 9 is too expensive....
Am I allowed to do Wyrmlance and Virtue of Duty? Am at work so don't have my army book here.

2. Do PK units of 3 need musicians? My friend keeps telling me to make sure to put them on the unit. Not really sure.

3. Too much anti-magic? If my opponent's just take scroll caddy, I've wasted 130 pts since I would always take at least one caddy. So I'd be 130 pts down. However, if I don't take it and I face a nasty magic list I'm worried I'd be screwed.

stonetroll
02-07-2009, 04:20
Looking to get back into WF after a long break. Stopped playing around 6th edition and haven't read much through 7th. Moved to a new place that has a healthy Warhammer Fantasy scene and want to get back in. Figure Brets are a good force to start back up since I had some of the models and the army book hasn't changed.

I understand that a lot has changed with more fearless, more monsters, and more nasty stuff in general. What do you guys think of this list as a start?

Lord on Pegasus with Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Gromril Great Helm, Tres of Isolude, Virtue of Heroism, and Grail Vow - 287

Decent setup imo. If you find this too unreliable you could go Sword of Heroes and Virtue of Audacity instead. Just see which you prefer.

Paladin BSB with Virtue of Duty, Sword of Might, Heavy Armor, and Warhorse - 124
Personally I would prefer the Wyrmlance on him. Also gives him magical attacs, but with 1 more S and flaming to boot.

Damsel (Lvl 1) + Warhorse + 2 Scrolls - 130

Damsel (Lvl 1) + Warhorse + Scroll + Chalice - 125

Horrible waste of points, but I run the same setup, pretty much sotck standard if you regularly face 8+PD armies imo.

8 Knight Errants + Full Command + Errantry Banner - 201 (BSB here)

Good, hard hitting and don't have to worry about fear while charging.

8 Knights of the Realm + Full Command + Twilight Banner - 241 (Damsel here)

I like them, but be carefull with those fear-causers. You could opting to make this unit only 5 strong and increase your grail knights instead (who are more reliable)

10 Peasant Bowmen + Skirmishing - 70

10 Peasant Bowmen - 60

Good, but for 0.5 pt per model I would DEFINATELY try and scrape some points from somewhere to get those Braziers.

Good, might want to change 1 unit for Mounted Yeomen to save points for other stuff.

5 Mounted Yeoman + Musician - 82

Good, you might want 2 units of these.

5 Grail Knights + Full Command + Warbanner - 240 (Damsel here)

Expensive, but hitting like a train, make sure your enemies don't get to shoot/magic them. Not sure if musician/warbanner is needed.

Trebuchet - 90

Nice little unit for area denial. Don't expect it to kill stuff at all, thats just a bonus. It's real reason to be on the field is to make monsters think twice about where they're going. (aka buying time for your knights)

Total: 2000

Questions I have:
1.How is the configuration on my BSB? I know that Virtue of Duty/Warbanner is a more common config. However, I wanted to save my Warbanner for my GK. If I lose one model from GK, I lose +1 resolution. I figure Warbanner is great way of getting that back since it's cheaper then the extra model. I also figure the unit is inbetween the effectiveness of a 6 and 9 man unit. I always feel like with GK you want more then 6, but 9 is too expensive....
Am I allowed to do Wyrmlance and Virtue of Duty? Am at work so don't have my army book here.

Duty/Warbanner is more common indeed, but I prefer yours (or Wyrmlance instead) since you can give the Warbanner to a unit (making it untargetable), and giving your BSB a little punch.

2. Do PK units of 3 need musicians? My friend keeps telling me to make sure to put them on the unit. Not really sure.

IMO, yes they do. Units of 3 PK can be used as redirectors/charge baiters if needed (when your mounted Yeomen are dead), in which case you want to be as sure as possible that they will be rallying after fleeing a charge.

3. Too much anti-magic? If my opponent's just take scroll caddy, I've wasted 130 pts since I would always take at least one caddy. So I'd be 130 pts down. However, if I don't take it and I face a nasty magic list I'm worried I'd be screwed.

I feel your pain on anti-magic. It's a necessity against armies that have any decent amount of magic though :s. I take exactly the same setup as you do.

Good luck, tell us how you go!

PARTYCHICORITA
02-07-2009, 06:39
Very very nice list. Seems competitive and balance.
I hate caddies but for the brets i feel they are a necesary evil.