PDA

View Full Version : Which new army?

Turok117
01-07-2009, 20:44
My Tau army is nearing completion and I am wondering where to go from here.

I hope this is in the right board :/

I am having trouble choosing which army to collect next... I have a few outlines I have set myself here:

1) Must not be overtly expensive (this is the most important)
Rules out - Guard, DH

2) Must not be stupidly easy to win with
Rules out - Chaos, Orks

3) Must be fun to play as (next most important after 1)
Rules out - Spess Mahreens, Necrons

4) Must be able to win (but not too easily)

5) Must not be Eldar

6) Must not be handicapped in any area (e.g. poor in CC, or poor at shooting)

My main opponents are heavy in MEQ's, with a sprinkling of horde.

I'd greatly appreciate some help from you guys, thanks in advance :)

Nexus Trimean
01-07-2009, 20:48
I think you just ruled yourself out of every army there is. other than maybe chaos deamons.

TimLeeson
01-07-2009, 20:51
how about doing a minor-race army based entirely on conversions ect, you can use whatever rules/codex you see fit then. Plus it would be challenging and creative.

darius-god-of-biscuits
01-07-2009, 20:51
Yes, why "must not be Eldar"? They seem to fit other criteria.

It has been argued that DH (Grey Knights - Land Raiders) are not too costly because of the low model count.

loveless
01-07-2009, 20:55
Space Marines
Dark Angels
Blood Angels
Space Wolves
Black Templar
Imperial Guard
Witch Hunters
Daemonhunters
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Tyranids
Orks
Tau
Necrons
Chaos Marines
Chaos Daemons

Green generally fits, though Dark Eldar can be expensive depending on the build.

Blue can work if you avoid the metal troops.

Red you've ruled out.

LonelyPath
01-07-2009, 22:40
You can build a DH force quite cheaply, just convert them instead, or hunt only for bargains on places like Ebay. I collected my army for about 60% of the regular cost since I hunted bargains. Getting a new box of GKT for 6 plus shipping helped though (I love it when peopel get unwanted gifts and just want rid of them, lol).

tacoo
01-07-2009, 22:52
tyranids could be expensive though, the funnest army i think with them is pure horde, but that is expensive. and dont daemons suffer in range thats further away then a template unles shaving lots of horrors?

12345_7
01-07-2009, 23:00
Chaos Daemons might suit you best because the plastics are cheap. A mixed army would be best in order to avoid some of the more expensive units (Bloodcrushers, Greater Daemons, etc.) that you would have to use in single god armies. I haven't played Daemons yet, but I have the codex and they seem pretty fun.

tacoo
01-07-2009, 23:01
there fun, but due to mandatory deepstrike, they seem to suck (IMO) in anygame below 1k points

Vyperchild
01-07-2009, 23:02
I think rule 2 is silly. Just because it's possible to make a CSM list that's easy to win with, that doesn't mean you should discount the entire army. Especially seeing as rule 3 is about playing a fun army.

Orks might be a different story because it seems to be a challenge to not make a good list.

And what's wrong with eldar?

Anyway, just choose the model range you like best out of the few armies you haven't ruled out.

Sorros
01-07-2009, 23:09
Why not Eldar?

6) Must not be handicapped in any area (e.g. poor in CC, or poor at shooting)

I'm pretty sure every army has at least one handicap, however minour. I'm guessing that since you play Tau, you're just pissed about CC handicaps...

Eldar are well rounded for everything, really, so if you weren't anti-Eldar it would be the right army I suppose.

Squallish
01-07-2009, 23:57
You want to play Eldar, but just don't like them. That is what I feel from your post ;)

Turok117
02-07-2009, 17:16
You want to play Eldar, but just don't like them. That is what I feel from your post ;)

I loathe myself for admitting this, but you're right.

Thanks for the advice, guys :)

Mechnomancer
02-07-2009, 23:38
I am in the same boat as the op. The reason i avoided Eldar was that it was too similar to the army (mech Tau) i already have. I ultimately decided on Chaos Demons since it was so radically different from mech Tau.

Mannimarco
02-07-2009, 23:50
eldar are like mech tau? they are similar but still pretty different

OP: what you decided on?

Raalyk Saaris
03-07-2009, 04:15
I think rule 2 is silly. Just because it's possible to make a CSM list that's easy to win with, that doesn't mean you should discount the entire army. Especially seeing as rule 3 is about playing a fun army.

You would think that is true, but I play chaos and largely believe in the "Rule of Cool" (ie, i bought a bunch of models that I thought were cool)

I didnt even own the codex until after 1200 points, i just used my friends. Without any knowledge of the cheese they represent, I got plague marines, obliterators, and a slaanesh sorceror and it is almost impossible to loose. I'm thinking of taking up a Grey Knights army to give myself a challenge.

slingersam
03-07-2009, 06:57
I think you will love Orks just because they are the exact opposite of Tau. You can go horde, biker nobz, shooting heavy, Pure grots except for HQ choice, Or pure Orks. Speed freaks. The only Auto win army with Orks is Biker Nobz. But you can ignore that build and try something different. Trust me join the GREATER WHAAAAAGH, and forget about the Greater Good.

Reflex
03-07-2009, 09:19
no army is stupidly easy to win with.

ive beaten orks nob armies because the player was under the impression he had already won. only a fool.

what do you mean by finishing your tau army? as in your putting and painting your last models? or your sick of them and thier playstyle and its time to put them in the shed? if its the first, then play them before you get a new army.

Hypaspist
03-07-2009, 09:33
Orks can be cheap (so many scratch build and conversion opportunities, + assault on black reach)
Orks do not necessarily have to be a win button.
Remember just because you *can* make a stupidly powerful list, doesnt mean you *have* to. All you are really saying here, is that you want to stay away from obliterator spam and nob biker spam. I don't see that chaos and Orks are actually ruled out by your criteria.

and actually both Orks and Chaos would fit the rest of your criteria, by using alternative and interesting builds. and there are loads of interesting scratch build/conversion opportunities in each army.

If you scratch built Raiders and Ravagers then DE would also be a good choice as they can win and win well (but not necassarily easily), have the opportunity to downward scale your power with the units in there that are less effective than others, and if you went heavily warrior based, would be reasonably cheap.

so for me DE, Chaos, Orks, are actually the armies you might look at.

The Base
03-07-2009, 16:57
Dark Eldar are the "LOL Marines" army.

However it will probably be costly to get a 1500-2000point force that is decent.

Chaplain Ark
03-07-2009, 17:11
DE are a good choice. You gotta be good with them to win, have great dedicated shooting and cc units, can have a good ability to take out tanks, and is not played by many people.

Thoughyou may have a problem getting the army...

lotrchampion
03-07-2009, 17:17
Chaos Daemins - tricky to win with sometimes due to their semi-random deployment, balance between combat and close ranged shooting, lots of anti-MEQ stuff. Through Flamers and Bloodletters at Space Marines and watch them cry. =P

Creeping Dementia
03-07-2009, 20:01
I think the only thing you've left yourself with is Deamons. Nids are pretty expensive and Dark Eldar are expensive as well in order to get all the Skimmers you'll need.

I'm a Tau player as well but I sort of went the opposite direction as you. I decided to make my second army more of a detailed painting project so I picked up Sisters, they are crazy expensive though.

Grimbad
03-07-2009, 20:07
I think you will love Orks just because they are the exact opposite of Tau. You can go horde, biker nobz, shooting heavy, Pure grots except for HQ choice, Or pure Orks. Speed freaks. The only Auto win army with Orks is Biker Nobz. But you can ignore that build and try something different. Trust me join the GREATER WAAAAAGH!, and forget about the Greater Good.

QFT, but with corrected spelling of Waaaaagh!. You can make a small, themed ork list that performs well, not well, or hilariously, and pretty cheaply too.
I play nobz in battlewagons, for example. Relatively inexpensive; I built my own wagons from plasticard, made my own banners from paper, converted one warboss from the one Armorcast sells, etc.
Seven wagons, 15 nobz, two bosses, red paint. It's very intimidating but so far performs rather poorly, due to the minimum-size mobs.

Lord_B
03-07-2009, 21:12
My advice would be a Daemon army. I had the same dilemma as you after playing the good guys all the time, ie Imperial guard, Daemon hunters etc. I really wanted a change but also a challenge. For me the Daemons have been the most exciting army so far, I have an all Khorne army but plenty of scope to add others from the other 3 chaos gods.

Mannimarco
03-07-2009, 21:36
looking like daemons then yeah, theres plenty of lists and tactics on how to use them on here so you should be ok building a force

Gu Long: Ancient Dragon
04-07-2009, 17:07
Orkzez iz da bestests!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, from what you've put forward Eldar or DE, you can win with them but my god it aint easy and its great fun trying.

But if you hate the pointy eared(sp? :confused:) pansees i can fully agree coz i hate em too. But then I like my armies big green and stoopid!

So if no to Eldar/DE I'd actually say Chaos w/o using the OP lists, as has been pointed out just coz u can make an OP list doesnt mean u have to.

Orks for example can be horrendously OP, i run a Boyz list with Big Shootas and Nobs (no pain boyz) infantry horde list. Great fun to watch your opponant's face when u lay down tht many models :skull: but it aint that powerful and really suffers against heavily armoured opponants especially if the dont have the "ohhh shiny" problem and field a decent amount of models. And i just run around the board like and idiot from tank heavy armies, they scare me ;)

Gu