PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 2nd place GT Baltimore 2008 list

Jakk
01-07-2009, 21:51
Hello,

I play Dark Elves and I am putting together a list for tournaments and need some ideas. Does anyone remember or have a list of the Dark Elves used to win 2nd place at the 2008 GT? I remember it had no casters and a hydra, culdron, 4 characters, a block of black guard, a block of spearmen and crossbowmen and 2 bolt throwers. I need help with the characters, to say. And what are the points totals? 2k or 2250?

Jakk

Phazael
01-07-2009, 22:30
Actually, Charlie Addison's list took 1st overall. I should know, he spanked my daemon army in round five. Do a search for "Xocer" on the web and you will find posts of him talking about his army and even some photos of the games from Baltimore.

sulla
02-07-2009, 00:44
Why not make your own list through trial and error?

Witchblade
02-07-2009, 01:41
IIRC:

dreadlord, potion of strength, hydra blade, pendant

master, bsb, some killy weapon

caddie

cauldron

3 harpy units

black guard deathstar

spearmen anvil

2 x 10 rxbmen

2 x RBT

hydra

shades

Charlie won not just by virtue of his list. He played very well and he got first place because of his painting skills.

.H.
02-07-2009, 01:51
Actually, Charlie Addison's list took 1st overall. I should know, he spanked my daemon army in round five. Do a search for "Xocer" on the web and you will find posts of him talking about his army and even some photos of the games from Baltimore.

Took a bit of looking, but i found it:

Dreadlord on Dark Steed
-Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
-Hydra Blade;Pendant of Khaeleth; Potion of Strength
Hag Queen
-Cauldron of Blood
Master, BSB
-Heavy Armor, SDC; Soulrender;2 Null Shards(MR2)
Sorcerer;Lvl 1;Dispell Scroll;Dispell Scroll

25 Spearmen; Full Command; Warbanner
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen;Musician;Shields
3 x 5 Harpies

20 Black Guard;Full Command;Ring of Hotek;Banner of Hag Graef
7 Shades;Great Weapons

2 RBTs
1 Hydra

Here's the thread in question, it's got pics and stuff here (http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50997)

Jakk
02-07-2009, 03:07
Thanks, guys!

The Red Scourge
02-07-2009, 11:34
Why not make your own list through trial and error?

What a ridiculous suggestion :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that the best tournament lists are found on the i-net. This also creates a balanced tournament environment, as everyone will be playing the same lists, and so noone has the "advantage of powercreep" :p

I hear GW is about to publish a tournament ruleset for WFB. Something about everyone brings the same list along with two sets of minis, one painted black and the other white. ATM they're fighting about the final release title, but there is quite a following for something like "Chess" :D

Nuada
02-07-2009, 11:52
I don't do UK GTs. But is that what usually happens in tournaments then?.. people just look at another successful list and copy it?

PeeKay
02-07-2009, 12:39
It looks like the easiest way to win a GT is to create a list to counter the same list everyone else is using.

Well I guess that will work until that list is published to the i-net then you will need to create a list to counter the list that was created to ... you get the picture.

Tokamak
02-07-2009, 14:03
Well I guess that will work until that list is published to the i-net then you will need to create a list to counter the list that was created to ... you get the picture.

And that's where the real masters of anticipation thrive.

Peril
02-07-2009, 18:08
That list really isnt impressive. He must be a heck of a player. *edit* Actually the more I think about it it is a pretty good list. Harpies are a ridiculously good unit.

The Song of Spears
02-07-2009, 18:17
Took a bit of looking, but i found it:

Dreadlord on Dark Steed
-Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
-Hydra Blade;Pendant of Khaeleth; Potion of Strength
Hag Queen
-Cauldron of Blood
Master, BSB
-Heavy Armor, SDC; Soulrender;2 Null Shards(MR2)
Sorcerer;Lvl 1;Dispell Scroll;Dispell Scroll

25 Spearmen; Full Command; Warbanner
3 x 5 Harpies

20 Black Guard;Full Command;Ring of Hotek;Banner of Hag Graef
7 Shades;Great Weapons

2 RBTs
1 Hydra

Here's the thread in question, it's got pics and stuff here (http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50997)

What is SDC?

willowdark
02-07-2009, 18:22
Sea Dragon Cloak.

lord mekri
02-07-2009, 19:28
*sigh*
no offence (but it will sound like it) but wht would you want to play someone else's army list? why go through the effort and money/time expense of buying, building, and painting an army that you have no attachement to other than "hey, someone won with this so maybe i can win with it"?
if you want to compete in something to win, there are far far cheaper things you can do other than warhammer.

what ever happen to making it list you thought of, and like, and taking it to a tournament? i love going to tournaments, and part of the fun of them is devising my OWN list to fight it out. whether io go hard, soft, or somewhere in between, if i win, its MY list that won. a COMPLETE victory. not s victor some other guy devised for me.

really at this point they way things are going, all tournaments should be all demons, no other armies, pick from one of the 4-6 "perfect" lists and see what you can do with it. then at least perhaps you can see if you are any good at the actual game....

rant over.

Lord Dan
02-07-2009, 19:53
*sigh*
no offence (but it will sound like it) but wht would you want to play someone else's army list? why go through the effort and money/time expense of buying, building, and painting an army that you have no attachement to other than "hey, someone won with this so maybe i can win with it"?
if you want to compete in something to win, there are far far cheaper things you can do other than warhammer.

what ever happen to making it list you thought of, and like, and taking it to a tournament? i love going to tournaments, and part of the fun of them is devising my OWN list to fight it out. whether io go hard, soft, or somewhere in between, if i win, its MY list that won. a COMPLETE victory. not s victor some other guy devised for me.

really at this point they way things are going, all tournaments should be all demons, no other armies, pick from one of the 4-6 "perfect" lists and see what you can do with it. then at least perhaps you can see if you are any good at the actual game....

rant over.

QFT.

As someone else said- this list is good, but hardly broken (the only unit spam he has is 3 units of harpies...). If he took first place and beat out all the OTT daemon and VC lists then he's just a heck of a good player. Unless you're a heck of a good player I think copying this would be a waste of your money.

Peril
02-07-2009, 19:54
He could have just been looking for the list for inspiration?

Lord Dan
02-07-2009, 20:01
He could have just been looking for the list for inspiration?

We're trying to incite a mob here. We didn't ask for calm, rational thought. ;)

SuperArchMegalon
02-07-2009, 20:34
Before you forget, everybody, TC opened just asking the following:

I play Dark Elves and I am putting together a list for tournaments and need some ideas. Does anyone remember

I don't think he suggested he was going to copy the list point for point... just take some inspiration from it, as Peril said.

Tokamak
02-07-2009, 20:39
That list really isnt impressive. He must be a heck of a player. *edit* Actually the more I think about it it is a pretty good list. Harpies are a ridiculously good unit.

It's a particularly elegant list. Most of these units are only worked well if played well and require extra skill to make them worth their points. A perfect example of how good lists don't have to be cheesy.

Jakk
02-07-2009, 22:21
You guys should read his battle reports for the GT with the list. He is a very good player and did have to deal with some tough lists. In one case, he drew when he clearly should have lost really badly against a "doggie deathstar" VC list. Not to steal his thunder, or pretend that I am at his level of competition, the list I had in mind when starting out with dark elves was similar to Charlie's in that I like to minimize the effect magic has on the game, by taking one sided magic defense, I like monsters, a good bit of shooting, scouters, hard-hitting elite infantry, use of the blood cauldron ,and a strong core block of Alxendrean phalanx infantry. I will adjust somethings like adding an assassin and using a lord character on a cold-one instead of a dark steed because the current GW model for Dreadlord on a Dark steed is bad in my opinion, see here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat40032&prodId=prod1690053&rootCatGameStyle=

(anyone have any suggestions for an alternative model?)

Here is the army list thread I started which discussed the list in detail comparing it to an older one:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207788

Take a look and tell me what you think! I'd like to squeeze in some dark riders, but we will have to discuss this in the army lists thread.

The Song of Spears
07-07-2009, 17:37
I suggest dark riders over the crossbowmen myself. My crossbowmen have yet to kill anything of note, while the dark rides provide no end of harassment and mobile shooting.

Also, dunno why i am so crazy, but Shadowblade is must have in my army over othere assassins. I no longer fear warmachines at all, or sit back and cast love level casters. Am i really so crazy for using him?

Mireadur
08-07-2009, 12:42
It's a particularly elegant list. Most of these units are only worked well if played well and require extra skill to make them worth their points. A perfect example of how good lists don't have to be cheesy.

Imo, in addition to your words, it also shows is how ridiculous is the new DE book :p