PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid PlanetStrike Defences?

hendybadger
01-07-2009, 22:05
What sort of things would the Tyranids use in place of the defenses?
1- Defense lines
2- Bastions + guns
3- Interseptor guns
4- Indomitable Fortress
5- Landing pad

My thoughts so far are only for the Defense lines.
Some sort of armoured line made from Carnifex Talons and Carapaces
| | | |
|#|#|#|

sort of like that.

What are others thoughts?

world in grey
01-07-2009, 22:29
only thing I can see working here is use the imperial defences story being the nids have just killed everyone there and the counter attack is the attackers and the nids are coming out of the defences as they are attacked

Clang
01-07-2009, 22:37
Yup, it's easy enough to think up all-Nid versions of the various Planetstrike defences (won't be totally surprised if FW release some), but they'd be a massive amount of work to convert or cost a fortune - instead going for the 'non-Nid area recently overrun by Nids' look is a whole lot more practical.

BayHammer
01-07-2009, 22:38
See this is the biggest if not only problem I have with planet strike, Love the game, love the terrain but theres almost zero diversity, pretty much everything is imperial, I could maybe see a bit of kitbashing a few Biovore bitz together to make some sort of AA nid but really pretty much everyone but the imperium and chaos got left behind terrain wise on this one.

SharpSilver
02-07-2009, 00:35
See this is the biggest if not only problem I have with planet strike, Love the game, love the terrain but theres almost zero diversity, pretty much everything is imperial, I could maybe see a bit of kitbashing a few Biovore bitz together to make some sort of AA nid but really pretty much everyone but the imperium and chaos got left behind terrain wise on this one.

Hopefully Tau, Tyranid, Ork and Eldar/Dark Eldar defences will be released. ._.

BayHammer
02-07-2009, 00:44
Hopefully Tau, Tyranid, Ork and Eldar/Dark Eldar defences will be released. ._.

it will be a cold day in hell when GW releases anything new for DE but ork and Tau maybe, sadly GW bases what sets they pair with a release with what ever they think or is selling best, the bastion kills two birds with one stone doubling for both IG and SM, we may down the line see more diverse terrain though.

acme2468
02-07-2009, 03:32
Actually The Tyranids using Imperial or somebody Elses Defenses makes sense from a Fluff Perspective, After all its not like theres anything To Defend on a planet the Tyranids have held for a while, the only hope a Counterattack has is if it hits them just after they've overrun the previous inhabitants.
By the time its down to just Tyranids Stuff on the Surface you don't land, you order Exterminatus.

cuda1179
02-07-2009, 03:42
I guess that you could always pretend you are assaulting a hive ship instead of a planet. If the entire board was set up to look like the nest in ALIENS it would rock. Tons of work, but very cool. "organic" walls, and big mounds where new tyranids are hatched. maybe a giant Vemon cannon to act as an anti-aircraft mount, just something that grew out of the base of the hive ship.

Geep
02-07-2009, 04:37
For interceptor guns you could find some of the old plasma-bugs from the Starship Troopers game- I like the look of those things in the movie.
If you want to stick with a more GW based idea you can convert something to look like a mini dactylus or malefactor (I think they're the names of tyranid artillery in Epic- but I could easily be wrong).

Gensuke626
02-07-2009, 04:45
Interceptor Guns - "High Altitude Spore Mines" Launched from Biovore like creatures who seem to be integrated into Spire Columns

Bastion - Hive Spire Column

Indominable Fortress / Landing pad - Do you really need one? I'd go with Subterranean Hive Networks myself.

Defence Lines - Umm...Carnivorous Plants?

MasterDecoy
02-07-2009, 04:58
I was going to make up some things like:
Bastion: Cave complex
no guns or anything, can hold unlimited units (of any size) and all entrances are connected, each entrence may dis-embark or embark 1 unit each turn. Each entrence is AV12 and is destroyed on a pneitrating hit only. If all entrances are destroyed than all units inside are destroyed.

The benifets of this are that your units can quickly re-deploy from one side of the board to the other, and provides some protection from the firestorm.
The drawbacks are that your enemy can funnle your units into various areas of the board by destroying entrances, or even destroy a large portion by destroying them all.

for every 3 entrances destroyed counts as 1 objective being held by the attackers

Inticeptor guns: Spore chimnys
Each spore chimny may fire a Barrage 2 frag Spore mine cluster as an inticeptor. (Representing the air being choked with spores and the deepstrike units being corroded on their drop)
WS0 BS2 S0 T8 W2 A0 I0 LD10 SV-

Can be damaged like an organisim, but is fairly tough.

Other assets: Synaptic node
Counts as a synapes creature
WS0 BS0 S0 T8 W4 A0 I0 LD10 Sv - (6++)
Lash Whips
Spore Cycsts (un effected by rolling a 1)
Synapes

Tough to kill, and would count as an objective being held for the attackers if killed.

Other assets: Capillery Tower
Due to the hive ships being so close to this area, opponents suffer -1 to reserve rolls due to the difficulty getting to the drop zone
WS0 BS0 S0 T8 W3 A0 I0 LD10 Sv -

Would Count as an objective being held for the attackers if killed (Max 1)

Other assets: Digstion Pool
Counts as dangerous terrain.

Tyranids would count as holding all objectives still "alive"

what do you think?

LususNaturae
02-07-2009, 05:02

This is not new.

Xenos never get extra stuff. Ever. Happened in CoD (buildings). Happened in Apoc (Plastic Baneblade).

I am not surprised.

So I satisfy myself by beating the living bejeezus out of all Imperial players I go up against.

Where is your emperor now????

BayHammer
02-07-2009, 06:11
This is not new.

Xenos never get extra stuff. Ever. Happened in CoD (buildings). Happened in Apoc (Plastic Baneblade).

I am not surprised.

So I satisfy myself by beating the living bejeezus out of all Imperial players I go up against.

Where is your emperor now????

Why Mr Lus hes riding my Baneblade pulled by 6 Valkryies (sorry couldent resist but I feel your pain, I wanted to get back into Eldar but there just wasent enough out there update wise to realy draw me back in)

Lord Xcapobl
18-07-2009, 09:41

Would it be very wrong to point out the plastic Ork Gargant?
;)

big squig
18-07-2009, 09:51
Why would tyranids be defending at all? What would they want with a base? They want the planet's organic resources and that's it.

The Custodian
18-07-2009, 10:29
Theres many reasons nids can be defending, maybe they have a special bug inside the 'building' (maybe the norn queen was forced planetside when its ship crashed)... Maybe like in DoW2 a feeding tower is connected to a ship in orbit sending its biomass to it... Theres many ways a nid can defend, just be creative...

Vampiric16
18-07-2009, 10:38
Most likely case is that the tyranids aren't defending consciously; in their mind they are always on the offensive. From the viewpoint of the 'attacker', the nids are between them and the objective, so for all intents and purposes the nids are defending.

WH40KAj
18-07-2009, 11:09
Actually, since Tyranids want to win like every army they would use defences. They made Tyrant Guard to stop shooting, they'd just use more convential means. Spore clouds, fogs of poision gas to move under cover, carni plants scythe like shield things to hide behind. I mean the apoc book says the myeotic spores are used to drop/protect MCs. So really they do use defences, you just need to think a little laterally about it.

EVIL INC
18-07-2009, 14:12
You could us extremely largepiles of poo for defence lines.
For bastions, how about huge piles of seashells? They could be a crustatian colony creatures with drones who shoot.
Another thing to use could be huge piles of dead bodies with shooting creatures who gaurd them until they can be "rationed out".
Of course, there are the huge claws growing out of the ground.
Armored egg piles
Plants
Ruined and partially destroyed/overgrown imperial stuff.
Use your imagination.

Atzcapotzalco
18-07-2009, 21:13
One word-Coral.
As for background, the existence of tyranid fortifications is entirely justifiable-while generally extremely aggressive in its tactics, the hivemind is quite capable of handling strategic planning, and therefore the importance of holding certain positions to overcoming a planet's military resistance.