PDA

View Full Version : What should I read next?

mike208
01-07-2009, 21:52
I just finished the space wolf omnibus and wolfblade books. I was thinking of taking up the wolves when the new codex comes out, so I thought I would read the books. I am now actually considering chaos marines as a possible army instead of the wolves. But I know sons of fenris and wolf's honor follow the books I have read already, but they seem to get poor reviews. Are they worth reading? If not where should I go next?

I'd like to read some about chaos, but not sure where to start. Are the Horus Heresy books the only books about chaos?

What else is a good read?

Coffee
01-07-2009, 22:03
Storm of Iron is a good one-off read if you want Chaos stuff.

Maidel
01-07-2009, 22:11
Read the horus hersey books. Irrelavent of anyones particular likes and dislikes, the first 5 books are really good.

Lothlanathorian
01-07-2009, 22:14
The first book is full of inconsistencies. They aren't bad reads, but I can't recommend them as being particularly accurate.

And Execution Hour has a bit of Abaddon being a total BAMF in it.

Maidel
01-07-2009, 22:16
The first book is full of inconsistencies. They aren't bad reads, but I can't recommend them as being particularly accurate.

And Execution Hour has a bit of Abaddon being a total BAMF in it.

Dont listen to the 'mad' man - they are really good, honest...

Actually - on that topic - what 'inconsistances?'

Lothlanathorian
01-07-2009, 22:21
Page 20-something of the first book has a Marine firing a man-portable plasma cannon down a hallway. Too bad those things didn't exist for another 300 years or so.

(Yeah, that totally ruined that book for me lol. Sad, really.)

They're are small things like that every now and again and those are what usually turn me off to the books. I did enjoy the second book quite a bit, however.

Lord_Crull
01-07-2009, 22:24
Page 20-something of the first book has a Marine firing a man-portable plasma cannon down a hallway. Too bad those things didn't exist for another 300 years or so.

Actually they did, the Dark Angels have large amounts of pre-heresy plasma weaponry, and that includes plasma cannons. Plus this is Abnett, he constantly confuses cannon with rifle.

Maidel
01-07-2009, 22:24
I know we have derailed this poor guys thread - but where does it say that - I cant find anywhere that says plasma cannons werent made until after the hersey (not saying thats not the case, just wondering where it came from)

To the OP - if you ignore 'little' inconistancies like that which you probably wont even notice - then they are good books.

Lothlanathorian
01-07-2009, 22:25
Actually they did, the Dark Angels have large amounts of pre-heresy plasma weaponry, and that includes plasma cannons. Plus this is Abnett, he constantly confuses cannon with rifle.

Valid point on Abnett there, but the DA had first gen, post-Heresy plasma cannons.

I know we have derailed this poor guys thread - but where does it say that - I cant find anywhere that says plasma cannons werent made until after the hersey (not saying thats not the case, just wondering where it came from)

To the OP - if you ignore 'little' inconistancies like that which you probably wont even notice - then they are good books.

Chaos Marines didn't have plasma cannons in man-portable form due to overheating issues. They were only vehicle mounted up until a few centuries after the Heresy. This is from the 2nd Ed. Chaos Codex. At that point in time, only Chaos Space Marines had overheating as an in-game issue with plasma pistols/rifles.

eltanko
02-07-2009, 00:40
Well every book probably has some small mistakes, just ignore them!!

definately go for HH, its epic! very in depth from lots of different angles, very very good indeed, esp the first 3.

ElTanko

Drakon
02-07-2009, 00:56
continue with the wolf series they are all good reads and then would recommend the HH series.

Also if you like choas marines the dark apostle and dark discipile are good reads too.

PondaNagura
02-07-2009, 01:03
I second the storm of Iron, and then maybe follow that up with the Dead Sky Black Sun, which is a cross-over sequel of sorts between the characters from SoI and the Ultramarine Omnibus.
the HH novels, examine the transition of the fledgling Imperium's [mis]understanding of the ways of the warp, and the rise of Chaos within it's ranks. I enjoy rereading them.

haven't read the Word Bearers stuff, so I can't really comment on those books.
and if you can find them, there were a few anthology of short stories, such as dark Imperium and Angels of Darkness which have a few chaosy bitz tossed in.

Ghost Of Caliban
02-07-2009, 01:09
I just finished the space wolf omnibus and wolfblade books. I was thinking of taking up the wolves when the new codex comes out, so I thought I would read the books. I am now actually considering chaos marines as a possible army instead of the wolves. But I know sons of fenris and wolf's honor follow the books I have read already, but they seem to get poor reviews. Are they worth reading? If not where should I go next?

I'd like to read some about chaos, but not sure where to start. Are the Horus Heresy books the only books about chaos?

What else is a good read?

heresy stuff is a must read.
it will give you a long view if the universe.

Gdolkin
02-07-2009, 01:25
Eisenhorn Omnibus: Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus. Inquisitor fights Chaos. Might raise your expectations of other books a bit though. So then read Ravenor. And Pawns of Chaos and Daemonworld. And Inquisition War: Draco, Harlequin, Chaos Child. Gaunt's Ghosts. Grey Knights, Dark Adeptus and Hammer of Daemons. :)
And Lord of the Night

Victimized
02-07-2009, 01:30
The Ciaphas Cain series. I have never lauged harder in a 40k book than i did during this

Coffee
02-07-2009, 05:18
Lord of the Night is not bad, but it kinda falls apart at the end, for me at least.

I second Ciaphas Cain, but that series probably wouldn't satiate his Chaos Craving.

The third story arc of the Gaunt's Ghosts series (soon to be in an omnibus edition, The Lost) also has an interesting take on Chaos, but its not about the Traitor Legions, and you really need to read the rest of the series to get the most out of it.

zan77
02-07-2009, 05:33
I'd go for the HH series. great read for me but I have only read a few but so far so good.

Condottiere
02-07-2009, 07:16
Lord of the Night might be the best written of the bunch, but the ending does let you down, unless there was meant to be a sequel?

genestealer_baldric
02-07-2009, 07:41
Dont betray the great wolf be a patient hunter and wait till november.

i also agree stick with the wolves book they are great they spend time killing DA which is allways a bonus. A realy good chaos novel is storm of iron , its realy realy good book. As for a quick general read get tales of the hersay it has probbaly one of the best stories that BL have ever sold- the last church.

Lothlanathorian
02-07-2009, 08:36
I, personally, prefer the short stories collections. Most of them are much older and many are written by some of the games developers themselves. I would recommend looking for any short story actually written by one of them than by any BL author.

Urath
02-07-2009, 08:58
Horus Heresy Series. Storm of Iron. Lord of the Night. Grey Knights. Eisenhorn. Ravenor. Let the Galaxy Burn. Planetkill. Word Bearer series.

Maidel
02-07-2009, 19:09
Actually - I know I said the horus heresy ones - but ive changed my mind - the eisenhorn trillogy and ravenor trillogy are far and away the best books BL have done. (personal opinion obviously)

WrYpoRrY
02-07-2009, 23:06
Storm of Iron
Ultramarines Omnibus, but find it in a library if you can, they aren't worth buying.
out of Grey Knights I've only read Hammer of Daemons, which I STRONGLY recommend.
Anything by Dan Abnett... except Brothers of the Snake. Eisenhorn + Ravenor are musts.
More coming

Dhazzakull
03-07-2009, 10:15
stay away from the dawn of war books, not readable,
Gaunts Ghosts, eisenhorn or souldrinkers would be best, if you are also into warhammer fantasy read darkblade

ToXiK
03-07-2009, 10:33
the HH series is sweet some good background i them all. also the cain books are a good read if you want a laugh and the last few space wolves books aint to bad readable at least best to finish them first also let the galaxy burn has a lot of everything in there i especally liked the one which has a UM turn to chaos

WrYpoRrY
04-07-2009, 09:25
I was going to read Flight of the Eisenstein (It was the next one after Galaxy in Flames)
but then I heard about James Swallow wrecking the Blood Angels and I got a funny feeling...

Bought Fulgrim and Legion (bypassing Descent) haven't read them yet, is Flight necessary?

Gu Long: Ancient Dragon
04-07-2009, 12:56
IMHO the only 2 HH books not worth reading are Decent and BftA, havent read Tales or Fallen Angels yet so can't comment. Legion is my personal Fav and if the Chaos army your thinkin of is Alpha Legion its a must. Storm of Iron is fantastic, Gaunts Ghosts stuff is brilliant and Eisenhorn and Ravenor are IMO the best books released for 40k ever. For me i really enjoy reading most 40k stuff esp. if its by Abnett i even liked Brothers of the Snake (his worst book but i still liked it) just avoid anything by CS Goto.

Gu

Maidel
04-07-2009, 14:57
Bought Fulgrim and Legion (bypassing Descent) haven't read them yet, is Flight necessary?

Yes.

Scion of Ferrus
04-07-2009, 17:45
Here try this, it worked for me.
Take a break.
I don't play WFB but I recently read Oath-Breaker and found it to be good read, plus the subject being Dwarves makes it palatable for a SW fan:D:skull::chrome: