PDA

View Full Version : Please I need Help....Urgent.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
02-07-2009, 01:24
I have not played 40k for a very long time for a very simple reason.
Its dangerous to my wallet.
I literally luv every army, there is not a single army I hate "except SW's LOL"
and while one day I might want to start an Eldar army the next day I could be thinking about Dark Eldar.
Just in the past fortnight after thinking about getting into 40k again I think ive gone through every army.
This morning Im thinking about Witch Hunters while yesterday I was thinking tyranids.
What should I do, I want an army thats not going to be deadly to my money, great models, few metals "I hate metal" and I also like an army to be flexible.
Please Help? Damn Im starting to think about Tyranids again.:cries:

Serebrate
02-07-2009, 01:26
Chaos Space Marines? Or did you already have that army, given your icon?

Vepr
02-07-2009, 01:29
and while one day I might want to start an Eldar army the next day I could be thinking about Dark Eldar.
Just in the past fortnight after thinking about getting into 40k again I think ive gone through every army.
This morning Im thinking about Witch Hunters while yesterday I was thinking tyranids.
What should I do, I want an army thats not going to be deadly to my money, great models, few metals "I hate metal" and I also like an army to be flexible.

Pretty easy to avoid metal models with space marines these days. Tyranids have some nice plastics and they are my favorite army but you will be hard pressed to avoid metals with them unless you go with warriors for your HQ slots.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
02-07-2009, 01:32
Oh sorry, no I have a Tau army which played so much it bores me to tears, It have a couple of Eldar models but not enougth to start an army and about 750 points of Necrons.
The problems I have with all three of these armies however is though Eldar are one of my favorite races in terms of design, I find their fluff boring, my favorite models are all metal and Im not the best general.
Necrons have no character though they are refreshingly easy to paint.
Tau just shoot, I want diversity.

self biased
02-07-2009, 01:33
nosense. Nonsense! NONSENSE!

do not listen to vepr. one can assemble a good army using only tyranid battleforces (which are a good deal). flex some creative muscle and turn the carnifex into a tyrant and there you go.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
02-07-2009, 01:33
Pretty easy to avoid metal models with space marines these days. Tyranids have some nice plastics and they are my favorite army but you will be hard pressed to avoid metals with them unless you go with warriors for your HQ slots.

How do you think warriors would go as HQ choices. That might not be so bad.:)

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
02-07-2009, 01:34

do not listen to vepr. one can assemble a good army using only tyranid battleforces (which are a good deal). flex some creative muscle and turn the carnifex into a tyrant and there you go.

Hey thats a great idea too. I have always loved the tyranid models and I love the zerg and alien movies.
Also does it take much skill to use them.

Vepr
02-07-2009, 01:36

What did I say that was not true. He said he hated metals and all I said was he was going to be hard pressed to avoid metals with Tyranids (Hive Tyrant and Brood Lord) unless he used just warriors for his HQ? I did not say don't use warriors I said he could only use warriors if he wanted to avoid metals. :confused:

Vepr
02-07-2009, 01:39
How do you think warriors would go as HQ choices. That might not be so bad.:)

They have a lot of flexiblity but they are not that hard for the enemy to take out. Three or 4 squads of three provide a nice synapse blanket for your entire army. My favorite set up for them these days is talons with death spitter and then extended carapace and venom sack. Venom sack helps with everything they do and extended carapace helps a little in the survivability department.

Rosstifer
02-07-2009, 01:43
I would go with Chaos space marines. You can paint them virtually any colour, and It's completly viable to have an all plastic army. Plus they look badass and they can be used for pretty much any battlefield role. Not that I'm biased at all........
I also play Dark Eldar, and whilst they are an awesome army they are notoriously tricky to use, so I can't really recommend them.

Vepr
02-07-2009, 01:44
Getting two battle forces is a good idea but if you want your army to have any punch you will need both fexes as well... fexes. Plus the Hive Tyrant is such a nice model it never made sense to me to convert a carnifex in that fashion unless you just hate metal models that much. It only takes a little time to clean it up and pin together and a little green stuff later you have a truly nice looking center piece for a Tyranid army.

Sorros
02-07-2009, 01:48
For tyranids, you could also just glue some random claws and extra tyranid pieces together for a semblance of a creature (gaunt or something)...at my local gaming club, people do it and even the owner of the store, a 40k player who has played for a ridiculous time, encourages it...

Vepr
02-07-2009, 01:54
Still the cheapest choice would probably be buying 2 black reach sets and then selling the orcs and using the money from the orcs to get a rhino or two etc and you end up with a nice all plastic marine force that is very easy on the wallet. If you really wanted to you could paint them up as heresy era Alpha Legion and play them as Chaos.

EmperorEternalXIX
02-07-2009, 01:57
Chaos is awesome these days, especially if you go into it without the precepts of the previous one weighing you down.

Been contemplating running my space marines using the chaos rules, since the SM codex has so much fluff in it. And I ain't talking about backstory.

Dranthar
02-07-2009, 02:07
Yeah, Chaos sound slike the best option if you're after plastic, cheap and characterful. If you aren't fond of the idea of doing a marine (lolz!) army then take a large contingent of lesser daemons and/or spawn. The latter is questionable in it's usefulness, but the daemons are great value.

Tyranids are another option. At the very least they are easier to paint and it's possible to do an all-plastic army. As has been said, the battleforce is a good deal but I'm not sure whether it'll be cheaper than chaos.

As far as cost is concerned, don't buy retail if you can. Get whatever you need second-hand and strip the crappy paint jobs. Brake fluid is perfect for stripping plastic models without damaging the plastic. Just leave them in overnight and peel the pain off.

self biased
02-07-2009, 02:14
Hey thats a great idea too. I have always loved the tyranid models and I love the zerg and alien movies.
Also does it take much skill to use them.

ask chimerologist. he's blossomed quite a bit since starting tyranids.

hush88
02-07-2009, 03:44

Oh sorry, no I have a Tau army which played so much it bores me to tears, It have a couple of Eldar models but not enougth to start an army and about 750 points of Necrons.
The problems I have with all three of these armies however is though Eldar are one of my favorite races in terms of design, I find their fluff boring, my favorite models are all metal and Im not the best general.
Necrons have no character though they are refreshingly easy to paint.
Tau just shoot, I want diversity.

I would say space marines but looking at your avatar and your nick, Chaos Space Marines should be your choice of army.

tacoo
02-07-2009, 06:16
ig are fun, but if you want easy in the wallet, thats not your race. i think chaos would be best to start with from the looks of things, and they (IMO) have a awsome army kit, the $200 dolar starter set for chaos just seems awsome, and it doesnt seem to have anything horrible in it. if you want to buy them then i would suggest Thewarstore, i order from there all the time and there really reliable, and every thing is 20% off.

Lotoc_Sabbath
02-07-2009, 18:34
i'd say ig :)