PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite terrain on the board?

cuda1179
02-07-2009, 03:24
As you begin playing, what is the terrain you love to see? Is it the simple woods? bunkers? ruins? What makes your day?

For me, my favorite terrain pieces are rivers and lakes with a bridge over it. I like giving the Chimera a use for its amphibious rule. Having units bottleneck on the bridge can be ammusing as well.

A close second is the hill. I like hills that can actually hide something. I get pretty annoid when almost everything on the board can draw line of sight to everything else on the board.

I also like any super-tall structure that has room for a sniper squad. Somewhere that is next to impossible to get to physically, so the snipers must either be shot or taken out in assault by jump infantry. It just seems so appropriate.

mweaver
02-07-2009, 03:26
Ruined buildings.

StormWulfen
02-07-2009, 08:20
has to be seeing a massive ruined city for me. (like mine:D)

big squig
02-07-2009, 08:31
I have this giant landing pad that takes up like 1/4 of the board. It's really detailed, blocks LOS, and always makes for an interesting game.

Khornies & milk
02-07-2009, 08:42

Same here! Our board covers 72 square metres (two 8' x 4.5' - shaped like a +), and we can 60% cover it with CoD Ruins alone, plus have a River, Hills and Woods if we want.

Semiholy243
02-07-2009, 08:52
i like buildings. city-scapes are one of the main reasons i started playing 40k after years of fantasy. however, i feel that in both games due to the difficulty in making them suitably that water features are often under-represented.

Triggerdog
02-07-2009, 09:00
I love the CoD kits. At the old store I played at, towards the time when I started to fall out of the hobby I would buy one of the $90 sets a week and have it assembled and painted by next week. By the time I dropped off the radar they had enough terrain to totally cover two 4x6 tables.

You could also well when I made a terrain peice because I had a habit of just taking a razor saw to some peices and making my own battle damage. They didnt even mind that I always left a terrible mess because I was keeping them in new terrain.

Noserenda
02-07-2009, 09:50
Mmmm Ruins with Third Floor Objectives ftw :D

Urath
02-07-2009, 09:51
Trenches, city ruins, bunkers, orbital defences and lots of trees :D

Staurikosaurus
02-07-2009, 10:55
For 40K I love a good ruined cityscape. For my own 6'x4' table at home, I've got a bunch of buildings, all ranging from 3 tiles to 8 tiles high (built from 2 City boxes and a sector box, a sack of GW craters and a couple of sets of barricades). Now if only I could find the time to paint it . . .

Khornies & milk
02-07-2009, 11:32
Mmmm Ruins with Third Floor Objectives ftw :D

For our Manufactorum I used 10 boxes for the main building and there's another 6 boxes used for outbuildings, and we ran walkways between them.

Took me about 3 weeks to paint the bl_ _ _y thing.

Someone said something about Rivers...FOW have a 'river sections' kit that's very nicely done (prepainted) and fits into 40K well enough, and it's not expensive.

Bunnahabhain
02-07-2009, 11:41
Intact buildings.

Oh dear, was your plan and advance using those buildings as cover, with a few squads infiltraitred on top to lay down harrasing fire?
Let me introduce you to a demolisher cannon being used as intended, and pages 78-80 of the rule book.

Unfortunatley, rough riders no longer get melta bombs, they were the kings of controlled demolition.

inquisitor solarris
02-07-2009, 12:39
Though I haven't tried it yet-I like the Forgeworld trench system :)

Bellygrub
02-07-2009, 12:56
The outskirts of a city. Have maybe one or two ruined buildings towards one of the board and then have a road leading out through green pastures, hills and forests. I love outskirt city fighting. Of course that could just be because I'm a twitchy **** and it's easier to move without to many buildings to reach into. :D

Incognito
02-07-2009, 13:07
Cityfight. Times ten if it is a Tyranid swarm vs my infantry heavy IG.

DaSpaceAsians
02-07-2009, 13:13
Just a huge cityfight, some kind of futuristic stalingrad with brutal fighting in it with a touch of winter.

SharpSilver
02-07-2009, 13:19
Cityfight or a WW1 style battlefield with craters, barbed wire and trenches.

Yautja
02-07-2009, 14:14
Cityfight or a jungle covered with trees with ruins, or a temple scattered around.

Askari
02-07-2009, 14:22
Just a huge cityfight, some kind of futuristic stalingrad with brutal fighting in it with a touch of winter.

Agreed wholeheartedly, nothing better than seeing squads dash from ruin to ruin, hunting the enemy and fighting in tight spaces, squeezing for firing lanes in the streets and through windows, tanks being largely ineffective due to lack of space and often get Meltabombed from behind.

Awesome.

Cythus
02-07-2009, 15:08
The outskirts of a city. Have maybe one or two ruined buildings towards one of the board and then have a road leading out through green pastures, hills and forests. I love outskirt city fighting. Of course that could just be because I'm a twitchy **** and it's easier to move without to many buildings to reach into. :D

totally agree;
my mate, like most of the posters on this thread, likes city fight-esce terrain, but i love the imagine of the outskirts of a city.

Plus rivers/lakes, I'd love to play with these

Gustovic
02-07-2009, 22:11
Artic or desertic terrain: without any cover or building for my Armoured Company!

Imperius
03-07-2009, 00:59
A city on one side of the board, then slightly a sub-urban battlefield beside it. WW2 style.

decker_cky
03-07-2009, 01:52
Toxic sewage terrain. Dangerous terrain for infantry and gives a use to the aquatic rule.

-=Lazuli=-
03-07-2009, 03:01
Anything that can shelter my Guardsmen :).

Ddraiglais
03-07-2009, 04:06
It's probably the IW in me, but I love bunkers, trenches, and fortresses. I love fighting siege battles.

MajorWesJanson
03-07-2009, 04:24
Cityfight, or Hilly forest/jungle. I need to buy a bunch more of those tree kits so I can expand my forest. Something like 1/3 of the board covered would be nice, with some hills, rivers and paths cutting trhough the woods, and occasional mayan style ruins.

Thrax
03-07-2009, 05:38
Burned out enemy vehicles are great. But dense city ruins are a close second.

senorcardgage
03-07-2009, 05:40

You bet. I like to see loads of terrain like this. Really changes the dynamic of the game!

chromedog
03-07-2009, 05:46
Industrial/city but I also like my river being used in games (6' long, in 2' sections, each with a fording point - one of them is a bridge wide enough for a baneblade to use - which count as clear terrain.)

Then again, I generally play either as DH/GK or mech eldar, so rivers don't really bother my vehicles.

KaldCB
04-07-2009, 10:49
We mostly play on large city fight boards as we have allot of ruined buldings in our club.

Now im working on a planetery defecne board, with forgeworld missile silo and the manticore emplacment, and im now waiting for my bastions and ageis defence lines to make a large defence site. really looking forward to seeing it done.

Vaktathi
04-07-2009, 10:54
Ruined buildings.

Ditto. large proper ruined buildings that look like the took a good shelling and are great places to shove infantry into.

Radium
04-07-2009, 11:04
Another vote for ruined buildings. And anything I can hide wraithlords/fire prisms behind!

Killgore
04-07-2009, 14:25
My COD Ruined city and my favorate terrain piece... The ForgeWorld Missile Silo! which has for some reason disappeared from the online store, which is a shame as its such a simple and effective terrain peice, and will be the main objective in many a future Planetstrike game.

Henz
05-07-2009, 03:53
bushes and forests. there is just somthing about them that realy draws me into the game

Silentexile
05-07-2009, 08:47
A good solid fortress is my favorite terrain piece (hence why I built a modular one myself out of CoD parts and foamcore, which is in my sig...), but due to a proper sized intact fortress taking up too much of a standard gaming board (for regular games that is,) a bombed out fortress or lots of CoD buildings are just as good in regular games.

LonelyPath
05-07-2009, 12:28
I don't have my favourite piece anymore as I had to part ways with it to make space. But it was a 4 foot tall Comms tower that we'd custom made at a club for 40k and Necromunda games. Great piece measuring 3 feet across at the base with a relay dish based on a paper plate (lol). Took weeks to build and paint properly and it pained me to part with it, but I had to.

Latro_
05-07-2009, 14:55
I really like small touches made to terrain, like graves, ruin burnt out vehicles with skellies of the crew next to them, that kinda stuff.

obithius
05-07-2009, 16:21
This was my favourite terrain,ever. You can see the Marine front line advancing,with the Eldar in the distance.

Tokamak
05-07-2009, 16:28
A wide open grassy plain with a a few low hills and perhaps a tree or two around the side...

*Looks at the angry mob with pitchforks and torches*

...I mean, a dirty ruined city.

MajorWesJanson
05-07-2009, 16:35
This was my favourite terrain,ever. You can see the Marine front line advancing,with the Eldar in the distance.

Wouldn't the tide coming in on turn 5 make the whole area dangerous terrain?

Mechnomancer
06-07-2009, 03:02
Nothing except for a wide river of lava between my tanks and your troops. Objectives/bases that look like something other than a neon green plastic flag. I want to see fuel dumps, Communication relays, bunkers, Landing pads, power stations, etc.

starlight
06-07-2009, 03:05
Anything that influences gameplay, otherwise it's just decoration.

Buildings, rivers, spaceports, bridges, whatever, as long as it has some impact on how the game is played. :)

sawbones
13-07-2009, 01:37
building with height for my 3 dev squads, lascannons, missile launchers and heavy bolters

Nazerth
13-07-2009, 05:17
I love to see some good frozen terrain. The more ice and snow, the better. Something oddly tranquil and deadly about a blown up tank covered in a fresh snowfall.

Failing that, crazy Mad Max style Ork terrain... like the stuff I wanna build if I ever come into contact with money again, hah.

Arbiter7
13-07-2009, 05:46
Ruined Buildings & Intact Buildings, trenches, barricades, razorwire and tank traps.

Barring that, craters, craters, craters and the odd forest and hill.

cankingboi
13-07-2009, 05:47
desert landscapes make me happy

Forlorn
13-07-2009, 17:29
I have this giant landing pad that takes up like 1/4 of the board. It's really detailed, blocks LOS, and always makes for an interesting game.

Is that the giant foam/resin one from Epicast I think it was?

And for me I love ruined buildings and city fights.

Vyperchild
13-07-2009, 19:18
Seeing my friend's tau disembark onto the roof of a three-story building cemented my love of city terrain, ruined or otherwise. That, and my Monolith screwed up my opponent's plans even when it was killed - by becoming a wreck in front of the entrance of the building with the objective.

CandleJack
13-07-2009, 20:15
Anything but Trees. The place I play at there are tons of trees and hitting the table knocks them over and trying to move my army through them without knocking the trees down sucks.

Gimme some hills and buildings, we also have these awesome stone pillars.

Vangarde
13-07-2009, 20:31
6x6 board of straight urban terrain, highest line of sight measured was 12 inches other than the city-street grid that remained intact on parts of the board.

It's like playing cityfight all the time without the rules. =D