PDA

View Full Version : How many metal units?

BrotherMoses
02-07-2009, 08:54
I'm considering getting back into the army and I'm looking at doing either CSM or Eldar. I'm wondering, if I should choose Eldar, how much of my army will be metal? Is their a plastic Autarch/farseer kit? I know rangers are just metal which really sucks? What else should I be warned of?

Gloom
02-07-2009, 08:59
Half to over half of your army will be metal. Almost all aspect warriors are metal.

Poseidal
02-07-2009, 09:01
The only non-metal (ie plastic) minis in my Eldar army are the vehicles (and not all of them; I have the older metal Wraithlord and Warwalker models too), the Guardians, Jetbikes and half of my Dire Avengers.

Triggerdog
02-07-2009, 09:02
Eldar all of your HQs are metal
All of your elites are metal
Your troops, except rangers, are plastic
Fast attack is metal
Heavy is plastic except for Dark Reapers and fire prism turrets.

BrotherMoses
02-07-2009, 09:03
this is terrible.... Any news on plastic kits on the way? :cries:

Tarax
02-07-2009, 09:04
If you look on the website they will tell you which models are plastic and which are not. They nowadays have a 'Plastic Kit' stamp on them.

But, as Gloom said, most Aspect Warriors are metal as are most characters.

Triggerdog
02-07-2009, 09:08

no.......no real need for them. The bits wouldnt really look right in most cases when blended.

Bunnahabhain
02-07-2009, 11:46
No, it's not.

Virtually all of those metal units have beautiful sculpts, don't have vast numbers of options ar alternate weapons that need to be modelled, and tend to be fairly small squads, so are not too expensive.

Doing a Guard army with most of it's infantry in metal would be terrible ( or at least unbelieveably time consuming and expensive)

Ganymene
02-07-2009, 11:55
As much as I hate metal models, I wouldn't change the Eldar range very much. The great thing about the army is all the extreme detail in the models. You just can't get that with plastic.

Maybe one or two things could be done in plastic right now, but most would not be an improvement. Until the technology advances a little bit further, I will be happy with my metal army. :)

You could make an all plastic Eldar army if you really wanted to, but it would take a lot of converting. You can create most of the models using the Guardian/Dire Avenger kits and lots of plasticard/green stuff, but it would take an exceptional amount of time and effort. Also, you could make an army that is comprised of only the plastic kits, but I don't think it would be very competitive.

EVIL INC
02-07-2009, 11:59
If your looking at expense, you can always find people willing to sell used. try e-bay or thewarstore for 25% discount new.

chromedog
02-07-2009, 13:23
While there isn't a plastic Autarch kit, you can do one using leftover Dire Avenger Exarch bits. Autarch with power weapon, shuriken pistol and Avenger shuriken catapult.

You can turn guardians into swooping hawks with a little work (I made plasticard wings and did a handful of them to round out a squad years ago, when the plastic guardians had just been released.)

My eldar have been an ongoing story since 1987. It has taken me over 20 years to accumulate the 12,000pts+ of models for the army. I have most of the options available (with 2-3 exarches per aspect) and although some squads are not maxed out (Wraithguard and warp spiders) due to non-cost effectiveness (WG are $25+ each and unlike the newer aspect sculpts, there are only 5 models in the WS box [6 for each of the other metals bar spears]). I'll keep watching the 2nd hand markets though (the main way I add to it.).

Bishop Rook
02-07-2009, 14:17
After Daemonettes, I never want Howling Banshees done in plastic. They look so lithe and graceful in metal, which isn't possible (or at least has never been done) in plastic by GW. Most GW plastic models look like they have rickets.

Some models could stand to be done in plastic however. Plastic Autarchs, Farseers and Warlocks are badly needed. Not that the current models are bad (some of the Farseers are awesome), but they all look a little... samey? And metal robes make it hard to do conversions.

Striking Scorpions would translate into plastic pretty well. Perhaps Fire Dragons?

Zanzibarthefirst
02-07-2009, 17:04
There was/.is an article on the GW website which showed how you can have an all-plastic eldar army with the exception of some warlocks and a HQ choice. PLastic dire avengers, guardians and jetbikes as troops, plastic vypers for your fast attack and finally plastic war walkers, wraithlords and falcons for heavy support. It is possible but obviously you want some aspect warriors

Leftenant Gashrog
02-07-2009, 19:07
After Daemonettes, I never want Howling Banshees done in plastic.

The plastic Daemonettes look the way they do because GW wanted them to look like the old Realms of Chaos art (which they do) - I wouldn't assume the Howling Banshees would look the same.

BrotherMoses
03-07-2009, 02:53
I just don't like metal because I'm not very experienced in dealing with it and cleaning it up for painting. I'm a tad reluctant. Also, some of the Farseer models look great but I haven't noticed any Autarchs that are just BAM!

Raalyk Saaris
03-07-2009, 04:52
I seem to be an enigma then... I actively seek metal chaos models, in my 1850 point CSM army the only plastics I field are basic troops, and even their champions are all metal. I just like having metal models i guess, it makes them harder to kill...

DarkstarSabre
03-07-2009, 10:31
Interesting fact here.

The current Eldar Aspect warriors are a lot closer in appearance to the original classic versions when they first came out. So if you're really in a jam and want them cheap...go to e-bay.

Being majoritively metal has one advantage as well - it's far, far easier to strip paint off of your purchases than it would be with plastic. So even that crappy painted piece of e-bay trash becomes worth the miniscule amount of money you put in to it if not more.

Hrafn
03-07-2009, 10:46
As much as I hate metal models, I wouldn't change the Eldar range very much. The great thing about the army is all the extreme detail in the models. You just can't get that with plastic.

Disagree.
1. Plastic hold detail just as well as metal for anything but the most intricate sculpting, for an example, look at the Dark Elf Cold One Knights and Corsairs.
2. Eldar minis as a whole are hardly extremely detailed as you state. Their armour and weapons are smooth, they don't carry around lots of small gear, there are barely any intricate ornamentation, and only a a single warlock model have fur. Ornamentation such as Spirit Stones and scales are easily replicated in plastic. I think it's a bit of a myth that the actual Eldar minis are more detailed and intricate than other models - they certainly could and perhaps should be to fit with background, but that's quite another matter.

Being majoritively metal has one advantage as well - it's far, far easier to strip paint off of your purchases than it would be with plastic.

Hardly. Brake fluid is your friend. With this stuff, plastic is easily cleaned. But allright, if you're the absent-minded type and leave the minis for too long, I see an advantage for metals ;)

Radium
03-07-2009, 11:13
It's just not profitable for GW to make all the aspects in plastic, most people only field about 3 squads of aspect warriors in an army, and which of all the aspects that is, is very much a personal choice. Units that are used by almost every player of a given race can be made into plastic with a decent chance for some profit.

However, I like my metal aspect warriors, they're fine the way they are.

JHZ
03-07-2009, 11:48
Ah, the old curse of metal. Say it at least 3 times in the OP, and the whole discussion will revolve around metal vs. plastic.

Einstein was right: It's all relative. Yes, metal holds detail, but yes, plastic can have detail as well. Yes, metals can do things plastics cannot, and vice versa. I do enjoy plastic because it can be converted easily, and I'm all about making an army I want, rather than choosing the best one GW has to offer. But at the same time metal has a very nice quality to it. You never see anyone sneezing over a unit of metal models, and 3000pts. of metal models just feels so ****** manly to carry around that I feel like pistol whipping people left and right.

Bishop Rook
03-07-2009, 11:52
The plastic Daemonettes look the way they do because GW wanted them to look like the old Realms of Chaos art (which they do) - I wouldn't assume the Howling Banshees would look the same.

So they purposefully made them look crap? ;)

You couldn't do the Howling Banshees the way they look now in plastic. The legs would snap. They'd have to have the ricket-legs every other plastic model has, which doesn't suit Howling Banshees (IMO).