PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Miners....

TeddyC
02-01-2006, 17:49
How should they be used best then?

At the moment ive just used the 4 I have lying around as painting practice....

But im considering their usefulness in a game....

Ive been on the wrong end of beast herd ambushes before and can see how much of a shock a unit of ranked up, Great weapon, blast charge toting drunken miners would be to some of the most hardy foes! Never mind the pansy elves or verminous skaven!

Does anyone actually use them to any effect? What size units?.... Im thinking a unit of 10/15... I say mostly i never take infantry in less than 20.... unless they are scouts... which these guys effectively are...

Thoughts?... comments?

m1s1n
02-01-2006, 19:50
I've never taken them because I have a tendency to play gun-line Dwarfs. However, in the new rules they do not seem to be that great when compared to a simple Ranger upgrade.

Bran Dawri
02-01-2006, 21:02
In the new rules I'll probably use a unit of 8 without any upgrades as simple warmachine hunters, marchblockers/occasional rear/flank chargers; in the old rules I used a unit of 10, occasionally with champion or musician for much the same purposes.
Though it is now extremely tempting to take a thane with the rune of brotherhood and some killy gear, put him in a 19-strong unit with everything except blasting charges (they're much too expensive), and watch my opponent squirm as they hit his backlines on turn 3 75% of the time.

Gotreksbrother
02-01-2006, 21:45
I usually take two units of miners: The first in 8/10 man size without anything for warmachine hunting, flanking or march blocking, its cheap and reliable. The second unit is 16/20 strong, with full command and if playing 3000+ with a Hero. This second unit strikes fear by just being on the sidelines and when it comes in it can save your day by threatening the enemy rear or stepping in to fill a hole in your own line.
With the new anvil rules you can potentially enter a unit of miners AND charge the same turn, spelling doom for most units on the recieving end.
Problem with miners is they compete with some of the best slots on the list...so you must have a very clear tactic in mind if you buy them, else, just use a single unit or you will find your army too fragmented.

hope this helps a bit...cheers

Alfginnar Oakenshield
03-01-2006, 09:34
I've never taken them because I have a tendency to play gun-line Dwarfs. However, in the new rules they do not seem to be that great when compared to a simple Ranger upgrade.

Actually I quite the other way around. Rangers cost a minimum of 11 points which is the same as miners. This is if you upgrade them from warriors. If you upgrade them from quarrellers they cost 12 points naked, and from longbeards a whopping 14 points.

Rangers, though they can still be used, no longer have the "Forrester" rule, which means deploying them in woods isn't very clever. This greatly restricts their use due to scout deployment rules.

Miners, on the other hand, can be equipped with the Steam Drill, making them a great deal more reliable. Combined with the Anvil of Doom, the miners are now a serious threat to your opponent.

I personally plan on having two units of 12, each with a veteran and Steam Drill. Even without the anvil, they are still GW wielding dwarfs turning up in his deployment zone.

If you want more tactics on miners I suggest that you visit www.bugmansbrewery.com !
Greatest dwarf site out there.

AO

TeddyC
03-01-2006, 15:43
Oof! Youve hit me from all angles with this!

The small unit sounds about what I was thinking.... just something to hunt jezzails and crash into some war machines....

Nastiest combo award goes to Bran! Thane + 19 miners (inc command) tooled up with rune of brotherhood coming on from somewhere... coupled with the anvil of doom! Would be funny.... If a little bit of overkill!

Bran Dawri
03-01-2006, 15:59
You can actually put a lord in there instead of the thane...

TeddyC
03-01-2006, 16:19
yea but the lord wouldnt work as well in less than 2k... cos then i couldnt take the anvil

Gratnuk Ironfist
05-01-2006, 07:52
Generally I take 12 with a Vet and Musician and the new steam drill. I'm running a trial of several units for my holdbase and so far miners are leading, but that was from using the old rules. I use them to hunt artillery, the sucker punch technique, support artillery that might get charged by enemy cav and take out the casket of souls and the like.

Rik uses ten, but I find twelve works well. The reulst for the trial are posted at hold base.

Miners always work better in unison with other units hence the sucker punch technique. I like using them with rangers to take care of enemy artillery and reduse the enemy to a crawl or I use them with the Gyro.

Scabby
05-01-2006, 13:50
I watched a dwarf player bring three last night and it was brutal.

I run dwarfs offensively and plan on bringing at least two large units. They're just too good to pass up.

Gratnuk Ironfist
06-01-2006, 06:03
I watched a dwarf player bring three last night and it was brutal.

I run dwarfs offensively and plan on bringing at least two large units. They're just too good to pass up.

Three? Why would he need so many, what was he up against, Empire, skaven?

Crazy Harborc
06-01-2006, 19:55
I just wish mine would pop up/out!! Mine have had a way of not coming up. I do like the current/old minies. I did cut the flames off of the minier's helmets. What the heck they aren't underground in/on a battlefield.

Gratnuk Ironfist
12-01-2006, 05:54
You sut off the flames, what about the candles?