PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Tactics

Ghaust Mortium
03-07-2009, 01:47
Hello, I am starting fantasy warhammer as the ogre kingdoms and I was wondering what some of the core tactics used by the ogres are. I don't want exstensive studies as to what they do, just the basics. Just to get me started. Thanks ahead

---Ghaust Mortium

Dag
03-07-2009, 02:05
minimum sized units with belowers and nothing else, ironfists are bad as are extra handweapons. put bulls up front and flee them away from charges to line your ironguts up. yhetties(if you use them) are best in again, minimum sized units to watch a flank.

my personal strategy is to run up leads, shoot, flee a charge, rally on a 8 or 9, maybe 10, and then they can shoot again.

tenderized on your tyrant, almost all the time. it lets him fight units and any hero in the game, give him the wyrstone and your good.

2 butchers is nice, 3 is seen as a bit excessive.

hunters are situational, not that impressive but can give them longstrider for the 3d6 persue, works better than you think with a seigebreaker. also can just line him up for a flank shot, should your opponent have heavy cav. is dogs are a steal for the point cost, but die very easily, good for single hero killer missions.

Dag
03-07-2009, 02:13
also, you going for friendly or competative.

Ghaust Mortium
03-07-2009, 03:20
Probably Both. Friendly to begin with

SuperArchMegalon
03-07-2009, 04:55
You should head over to Ogrestronghold.com and check out the forums. They'll be able to give you a lot more advice.

Most Ogre player consider the Tyrant, Butchers, Trappers, and Ironguts as "must-haves" to play the army. I'm a big fan of Yhetees, if you exploit their movement and terrain negotiation properly they can really put a hamper in your opponent's plans.

As for tactics, Ogres should never wait around for Gnoblars - move forward as quickly as possible (as said, Bulls in front), and follow up with Ironguts. I like to put two units of two Leadbelchers on one flank, and to tie up the other flank with Yhetees and Trappers working together. Good luck, Ogres are a challenging but rewarding army to play.

Ghaust Mortium
03-07-2009, 05:06
Thanks. I was just fixing to look for an ogre forum site.

Avian
03-07-2009, 05:58
I have some articles on my website: Ogre Kingdoms Tactics page (http://www.avianon.net/subpage.php?s=index_ogre_tactics)

Dag
03-07-2009, 17:41
ogres are really hard to play with any sort of averages coming out, you either win or lose spectacularily. and its all on the roll to hit!

Thundermace!!!

Keller
03-07-2009, 22:27
If you ghave some time, check out the Ogre Tactica (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2412&highlight=tactica+ogre) on here. Lengthy, but loads of discussion.