PDA

View Full Version : The Conclave as at 3 July 2009

precinctomega
03-07-2009, 11:34
From Derek:

Dear Conclave Members,

As you will have noticed, the Conclave disappeared at some point late yesterday afternoon. I have been contacted by the hosting company. I’m afraid that I have what appears to be some bad news…

As far as the hosting company are aware, it would appear that the server the hosting company uses has been hacked by a malicious individual who was looking to discredit one of the clients of the server hosting company by destroying as much of their data as possible. In the process, this hacker has done huge damage to all of the data stored by the server company – not just to the intended client.

As far has I’m informed by our hosting company, the server is now back online, and the hosting company is in the process of attempting to restore all of the sites they manage, including the Conclave. However, the disastrous news is that it would appear that all the data has been lost. There is a strong chance that all of the content on The Conclave will have been erased. I can’t promise anything one way or another at the moment.

What I can say is that I’m promised by the hosting company that no personal details have been stolen (including the details that pay for the Conclave!), so you shouldn’t have to worry about that.

This also appears to have hit Dark Magenta, so we may have quite a bit of re-building to do here. However, I am determined that we will not suffer the same fate as poor old Exterminatus.net, and we will eventually get on our feet once more.

Thank you for bearing with us during this time, and I’ll try to keep everyone updated as and when I hear more.

Regards,

Derek.

R.

IAMNOTHERE
03-07-2009, 11:50
Wow, a hosting company that doesn't carry out regular backups of data?

Some people are just tossers.

MarcoSkoll
03-07-2009, 12:39
Damn, that's disappointing to say the least.

If all the content has been lost, I do however have some reasonably recent off-line saves of a few (a very few) of the topics. Probably most important amongst them are After Hours (IC & OOC) and the Weapons topic.

Ancelyn1331
03-07-2009, 12:48
I hate hackers.

:mad::mad::mad:

Unless of course they are hacking into NORAD or NASA.:evilgrin:

Ghost Rain
03-07-2009, 15:46
Wow that sucks!

That forum had a lot of helpful information.

Ancelyn1331
03-07-2009, 16:16
On the up-side, we can start again (groan) and enter improved information.

Okay, straws...grasping...tornado...Eye of Terror... but that appears to be the choice we may have to face!

Sieze the moment...

Tybalt Andrus
03-07-2009, 16:26
We'll get it back, people - it's just going to be hard work. I'm not sure whether or not the the data will be recovered, or a backup will be found, but we'll just have to cross our fingers.

As I said, we'll need patience over the next few weeks, I'm afraid... :(

I'll keep you updated.

Ancelyn1331
03-07-2009, 16:34
Weeks?

I thought it would only take a few days?...

Oh well, if it's worth anything...it's worth waiting for.

Ancelyn1331
03-07-2009, 16:40
To Kal Jerico,,,

hunt this *unt down. The spiteful.destructive gimp.

Long live the CONCLAVE

kaled
03-07-2009, 17:06
Damn that is bad news. :-(

Guess I'll be posting my Tech-Priestess on here...

MarcoSkoll
03-07-2009, 18:08
Ouch. Weeks?
It looks like there's going to be quite a bit of hanging out here.

Worth the wait though.

DapperAnarchist
03-07-2009, 18:52
... Wow. That is sucky. However, DM seems to be working for me. I re-downloaded the sourcebooks and issue 3 yesterday evening (my laptop needed a replacement harddrive... Though at least that wasn't "malicious")...

The 'clave has survived two (or is it three?) losses now, and to be honest, between the most recent and the one previous, it improved, in my opinion (spam members but no posts, and no silly "I made a character with infinite stats" posts). A couple more of these and it will ascend to Godhood... :P

precinctomega
03-07-2009, 18:55
It's how we traditionally judge who the veterans are, anyway.

R.

MarcoSkoll
03-07-2009, 20:45
On the note of Inquisitor resources, the usual links can be found in my signature (added them earlier).

On the other note, I'm not sure I'll ever really consider myself a true veteran of any forum. An experienced member yes - but not a veteran.

Charax
03-07-2009, 21:46
I really don't think we should be taking all of our Conclave chatter here, to be honest. Sure, it's Inquisitor related, but it still feels like camping in someone's back garden while our house is fixed. we have a forum we can talk on, and we're all members there - just ask Ben to make a temp board for us to occupy for the next few weeks.

kaled
03-07-2009, 22:32
We're all members here too - I see nothing wrong with discussing the game here. But then I'm not opposed to moving to the Mind either. When/if we decide where to congregate it'd be a simple matter to post a copy of Derek's statement on a few of the forums where Inquisitor is discussed so people know what's going on and where to find us.

Ancelyn1331
04-07-2009, 08:02
I think this is an appropriate forum for an ad hoc Conclave.

The Mind is for drunken rambling rants...:angel:

Well that's my experience, anyway.:D

precinctomega
04-07-2009, 13:39
The Mind is neither family-friendly, nor Safe For Work. Moreover, I like to keep my gaming chatter as separate as possible from the Mind where I get to be all serious and grown-up.

R.

Ancelyn1331
04-07-2009, 17:05
The Mind is neither family-friendly, nor Safe For Work. Moreover, I like to keep my gaming chatter as separate as possible from the Mind where I get to be all serious and grown-up.

R.

Really? I think you're mis-using the Mind:D

DapperAnarchist
04-07-2009, 19:01
There is a difference between "grown up" and "adult"...

Ancelyn1331
04-07-2009, 19:03
Explain- with examples (and links).

I double dare you with cherry on the top.

precinctomega
04-07-2009, 19:38
The Mind is for drunken rambling rants...

Well that's my experience, anyway.

Well, if you'd just stop posting...

R.

Ancelyn1331
04-07-2009, 19:41
Ouch.

That hurt...

No matter how accurite it may be.

Yah-boo to you...

Charax
04-07-2009, 22:16
My point exactly. What part of the last seven posts has been about Inquisitor?

If our posts were going to be strictly about Inquisitor (like kaled posting his tech-priestess) then I would have no problem posting here, but we're not discussing Inquisitor, we are discussing the status of a very specific Inquisitor forum, which I don't think is appropriate to Warseer. It risks making a bad impression and annoying the mods.

Inquisitor Castleman
05-07-2009, 11:32
Well, well, well. I go away for a week and upon my return find that all my fresh ideas cant be shared.

It makes you wonder where your money goes if the server company cant/wont make back-ups or provide decent security.
Nevertheless, so long as the matter is dealt with I should stay my tongue.

On a different note: What is this "the Mind" everyone speaks of?

Im not saying1
05-07-2009, 11:36
Damn that's annoying. I didn't have any copies of my warband or thier background, I thought I would always be able to retireve them from the Conclave. But then this happens... :mad:

Ancelyn1331
05-07-2009, 11:52
http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi

MarcoSkoll
05-07-2009, 12:59
I didn't have any copies of my warband or thier background, I thought I would always be able to retrieve them from the Conclave.
Well, if you can access your offline cache, you might be able to find them there, assuming it's large enough and you accessed the pages reasonably recently.

kaled
05-07-2009, 13:15
And Google caches some pages, so you might be able to find them that way.

In fact, on that subject I ought to have a think whether I had any threads worth trying to retrieve.

Well, well, well. I go away for a week and upon my return find that all my fresh ideas cant be shared.Share them here, or on one of the other forums where the game is discussed.

MarcoSkoll
05-07-2009, 14:02
And Google caches some pages, so you might be able to find them that way.
Good point, but not particularly often, and it can often be hard to coax Google into providing the link to the cached page.

Hadriel Caine
05-07-2009, 18:49
Gutting. But Inquisitor lives on.

OH MY GOD. the gaming table project log. that took. months. argh.

I feel sorry for anybody who relied on the conclave for their character reference for the game. I know I've lost a few characters...

I think it might be time for me to re-read my early copy of INQ2.0... since we're starting from scratch and all.

good luck Titus/ Saussure

Adam

kaled
05-07-2009, 19:18
OH MY GOD. the gaming table project log. that took. months. argh.You mean this (http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:vDOzf0SQCp8J:www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D917%26view%3Dnext%26sid%3Dd23d 2dbbc53b5798c0981734d710dcdc+site:www.the-conclave.co.uk+gaming+table+log&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk) one?

If you want to save stuff, I suggest you all get hunting through places like Google cache to find what's left...

MarcoSkoll
05-07-2009, 23:26
I feel sorry for anybody who relied on the conclave for their character reference for the game. I know I've lost a few characters...
Not to be harsh to anyone who has lost their reference, but I don't quite get the logic behind not keeping a local copy - nor do I quite understand why it comes about.

I personally pen my profiles in Word (saving repeatedly) then convert that into forum code when I'm posting. Do people write their profiles in the forum message box and not keep a copy anywhere else or something?
Okay, at times I wrote things on the forum - small notes and things, but if they were important, I then copied and saved them off-line.

This is partly because I've got a laptop and I move around the house (so I'm not always wired into the interweb - we don't have wireless), so to be sure of having anything, I have to have it off-line... but even if I did have constant internet, it still seems questionable to rely just on the on-line version.
Seriously, if it's important to you, then have at least two copies in separate places. Don't rely on this sort of thing not happening.

Anyway, to stop rubbing salt in people's wounds, I'll move on.

On good news, I think I'll have some content to help kickstart the forum going again. The firearms rules are coming along quite nicely, and I'm progressing reasonably with my write-up of my character motivation system.
Of course, if when they're ready The Conclave is still a long way off, I'll post them here - but I'd rather do it on the 'Clave. Partly because of the atmosphere, but more because it will need some serious repopulating if the data's all been lost.

Also, I'll note that there's still activity on the Inquisitor PDF downloads, so obviously the Conclave being down hasn't completely killed Inquisitor internet traffic.

Ancelyn1331
06-07-2009, 05:42
I think sometimes people just put too much faith in computers.

spaint2k
06-07-2009, 08:41
How very sad. And it's not even the first time that the forum has had to start over.

I have never found the Conclave's current hosting service to be especially stable, to be honest. Maybe it's because I'm located all the way out in Taiwan, but I usually had to try to load the page at least twice before it would come up. Given the garbage quality of service that I felt they were offering, hearing that the host has both been hacked and lost data doesn't surprise me at all.

Steve

Hadriel Caine
06-07-2009, 13:00
Dave Knowles I love you.

*ahem*

@Marco Skoll- thats all very well and good but I tend to hand write my characters then type them up directly to the 'clave (or my own website).

I just use the web as I'm at home, in eldritch games or at uni (where i have constant wireless interwebs)
That said I have hard copies of my PCs in various forms because I had to print them out for exciting times like the GTs and Spring Conclaves.

The problem with hand written bits of paper on them that have lots of numbers and words like strength, nerve, Ordo Pessimus is that my mum chucks them in the bin. so online is GENERALLY safer for me.

thank god for university eh? no mothers or bins there...

I am clearly having withdrawl symptoms now.

On a separate note if anybody would like to store their character sheets and backgrounds on my website FEEL FREE. the hosting is free and anybody can add pages to the site so follow the link in my sig to Ordo pessimus.

cheers

Adam

Ynek
06-07-2009, 16:08
Damn.
[10 character limit]

Lord Inquisitor
06-07-2009, 20:15
Well, we're pretty much all here it seems. If the Conclave can be at least restored to funtionality within a month or two it's not too bad.

This board is pretty dead most of the time, I see no issues with giving it some real content!

kaled
06-07-2009, 21:44
Any chance we can get a message posted at the Conclave address saying what's going on and where we can be found?

I've had quite a few e-mails from confused people...

fantomex
06-07-2009, 22:27
Quite typical, I've been working flat out 6-7 days a week since the Feb 09 compo, and I come to the 'clave full of posting vim and vigour...
You can tell where I'm going here..
If only people would stop fouling up the internet.
Then again, where would the nerds go to rant without it?
*realises irony*
*leaves*

Tybalt Andrus
08-07-2009, 09:16
A small update - Dark Magenta is now back online (thanks, Jack!), though the magazine content itself won't be restored until later this week. At least we have our site back!

The Conclave will take longer, I'm afraid, but progress is being made. Watch this space. :D

Ynek
08-07-2009, 17:21
Ah, good news.
Here's hoping that things continue to transpire in a positive way.

Easy E
08-07-2009, 22:36
Tis awful what happened to the site.

lord sephiroth
12-07-2009, 14:25
well everyones still in contact so, its not all bad, we 'clavers are a hardy bunch :D it take more than our forum shutting down to...er....shut down our forum?? :D im sure it'll be "more improved than ever"

-- aka jamessearle0 --

Tybalt Andrus
16-07-2009, 22:12
Another update, though it's not great news...

After getting Dark Magenta back online, and making progress on The Conclave, we have been struck by further problems with our server company. This has resulted in Dark Magenta disappearing once more, but we'll get it back. Our hosting company - which is not to blame - is in the process of moving all of their clients to a new server, so we should have a more stable base shortly.

Of course, I'm aware that the longer the site is down, the more people may drift away. I continue to hope that people will bear with us during this difficult period.

D.

Ynek
16-07-2009, 22:28
Well, I'm not going to 'drift off' anywhere.

So long as I have rules, warbands and models to discuss, I'll always be coming back to the 'clave.

Ancelyn1331
17-07-2009, 07:28
Well said Ynek. Thanks for the upfate Derek. Progress, slow but steady.

Sumaki
17-07-2009, 20:49
I'm not likely to drift off either.

Heck, i'm practicaly nailed to the conclave, just ask my Mrs.. ;)

MarcoSkoll
18-07-2009, 01:43
To quote a well known film: "I'll be back", and I suspect many will do the same.

I doubt the site's regulars and veterans will "drift off" - we might lose a few of the less frequent posters, but Inquisitor is blessed with dedicated players.

precinctomega
18-07-2009, 13:51
I think we'll just lose the non-posters and spam-bots. No loss there.

In fact, putting "The Conclave is back up!" on the news feeds of all the big communities should attract even more members.

R.

DapperAnarchist
18-07-2009, 22:10
I must thank Kaled for mentioning Google Cacheing - I'd lost my "Xenostalkers" due to simultaneous collapse of the Conclave and my laptop's hard drive. But I have it back! Now just to finish them...

Ynek
19-07-2009, 04:44
Indeed, google cache has been most useful.

Although, personally, I don't think I started many threads worth saving. Most of my stuff is still backed up on my own hard-drive, but I've been busy saving such things as the index of where we all live. However, if we lose all the nonposting accounts, then we'd have to trim a lot of people off that list, but meh, c'est la vie.

Anyway, about the only constructive threads that I ever submitted were modeling and painting threads, which I'll just blend together as a model retrospective, if all the conclave's content has been lost.

Amr40
19-07-2009, 21:33
i shall be back too, had just finished my bounty hunter and was about to post it when....
*phut*

have we got a time on its movement to the new server?

kaled
19-07-2009, 22:27
i shall be back too, had just finished my bounty hunter and was about to post it when....Post it here - some of us need a fix of Inquisitor related discussion...

Ynek
20-07-2009, 18:54
Post it here - some of us need a fix of Inquisitor related discussion...

Getting withdrawl symptoms, are we? :P

kaled
20-07-2009, 19:11
Yeah, the shakes have already set in - I think the next stages are depression, insomnia & nausea; then in a week or so the hallucinations will set in and I'll be at home screaming Bugsbugsbugsbugs! ;)

precinctomega
20-07-2009, 20:26
Either that or you'll become Frenzied.

R.

Ynek
21-07-2009, 17:32
And then it gets really serious - You start applying Inquisitor rules, such as the hallucination rules, to real life. :P

Catferret
21-07-2009, 17:43
Butbutbut... I do see pterasquirrels!

Of course they may just be regular ones...

TwinDeath
22-07-2009, 02:11
Great, I get back from a three week vacation, sit down thinking "Hey, now i can register for the Conclave," and then let loose a scream of loss and rage the likes of which has never been heard. Been lurking for about a half a year there, and then look what happens.

(Insert longwinded and overly creative and graphic description of torturing the hacker here.)

mypunkrockisbetterthanyou
22-07-2009, 04:13
Feel your pain TwinDeath. I was just repeatedly getting irritated thinking something was wrong with firefox.

Thankfully, our alumni base, as I shall call it, is rather active in all the nerd circles of the net :)

Now I'm going to have to register my unnecessarily long username on another board.

Regards,
Rick

Ancelyn1331
22-07-2009, 05:43
Well The 'Clave will return, so you can register when it does.

Ynek
22-07-2009, 12:17
The conclave is just like a plague zombie...

Do what you want to it, but it will never die.

precinctomega
24-07-2009, 12:03
It occurs to me that we should probably have moved our discussion here:

http://www.sg.tacticalwargames.net/forum/index.php

R.

Lacerto
24-07-2009, 13:59
Hmm, not a huge fan of the burgandy/grey colour scheme. And the way it flickers when you open a thread hurts my eyes...

N0-1_H3r3
24-07-2009, 20:55
Well, poop.

I've lost about half of Legacies. Months of intermittent work, gone, mainly because I tend to write on the spur of the moment rather than plan far enough ahead to write the story down elsewhere... Google has cached the first page of the thread, but not the second...

Edit: It appears I was mistaken, thankfully - Google had just decided to hide half of the links to cached pages in order to "show [me] the most relevant results".

Tybalt Andrus
01-08-2009, 18:34
We're back!

While the tech-adepts are still chanting supplications to the finer points of the Machine Spirit, the community can now start to return home.

Just bear in mind that the odd thing might move around over the course of this week... :D

Thanks to everyone for their patience, and thanks especially to Gav for his extensive tinkering expertise!

D.

Ancelyn1331
02-08-2009, 03:10
Wow. Bloody scary colours.. Good to be a 'Claver again.