PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Icon of Rakaph

pointyteeth
03-07-2009, 17:12
Hi all. After a quick search and no results on the forum, and no luck on the TK faq, I wanted to pose a question to see what the general consensus is.

An argument came up the other day between two of my friends regarding the icon of rakaph being used in the magic phase. The icon specifically says it works "in the units movement phase", while the TK movement spell says they move as they would in the movement phase (can't remember the exact wording). The TK player moved his tomb guard in the movement phase, cast the movement spell in the magic phase on them, used the banner to reform to a different facing, and charged.

We didn't believe he could use it as the banner specifically says "movement phase", and the TK player argued that it did as the spell says they move as they would in the movement phase.

Who is right here?

*edit* clarified the wording

huitzilopochtli
03-07-2009, 17:28
IRRC the icon acts in the movement phase, before charges have been declared, hence its popularity. The TK player is wrong - it has a very different effect to the spell, which can allow the unit to move/charge/reform etc. The banner only allows a reform.

huitzilopochtli
03-07-2009, 17:52
Sounds like a job for the red whippin' sticks. ;)

mightygnoblar
03-07-2009, 21:31
you can kind of see his argument, i think his logic goes along the lines of...."incantation of ergency allows a unit to move as it would in the movement phase, in the movement phase he would be allowed to use the banner, therefore when under the effects of the spell the banner can be activated".....but its a bit of a stretch, and even not knowing the exact wording of the banner (for restrictions, timing etc) its seems like its just wishful thinking on his part

Chiron
03-07-2009, 21:42
I have always used the Icon both in the initial movement phase and the magic phase when incantations go off, never had any complaints (even *after* shocked opponents have looked at the item in the book)

Bloodknight
03-07-2009, 22:38
What Chiron said. I've never seen it played differently in tournaments.

tarrasque
03-07-2009, 22:48
smiting:
the unit cab immediately make its normal move, exactly like in the movement face(it can wheel turn even reform ect.).
icon
the unit may make a free reform move at the start of its movement face

the icon does say it is used in the movement face the smiting says you move as if you are in the movement face it is still the magic face.
and is the magic banner ability the 'normal' move for a unit?

nosferatu1001
03-07-2009, 22:52
"phase" please, please use "phase"

If it says "in the movement phase" then I would suggest that is th eonly time you can use it, smiting or not.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-07-2009, 23:30
I treat it as not allowing a free reform in the magic phase. The incantations grant the ability to move- but it isn't actually the movement phase. I'm sure this has been addressed by the designers at some point but it must have been in an interview as its not in the old chronicles/ annuals.

kyinpie
05-07-2009, 13:56
im a tomb king player, and i have never herd or even thought about using the ican of rakaph in the magic phase! dont you think its nasty enough anyway!!!!

pointyteeth, i think you TK opponent was trying to pull a fast one on you mate! if he wanted that charge he should have lined up in the movment phase first!

the banner stats its to be used in the movement phase! the incantation stats its 'like in the movement' phase so the incantation does not grant you an additional movment phase as such, just extra movement following the rules of a movement phase! i know it seems like a small difference but in this case it makes the difference of using the banner or not!
so personaly i firmly beleieve that you wouldn't be able to use the banner in the magic phase!

ky

Witchblade
05-07-2009, 16:45
I don't see why this is even being debated. The item clearly specifies it is used in the movement phase (before charges are declared even). There is no reason whatsoever to draw any parallels with the incantation of urgency.