PDA

View Full Version : archmage on moon dragon???

danny7865
03-07-2009, 18:17
Have a tournament coming up and wondered what people think of the idea in regards to effectiveness>

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-07-2009, 18:19
What's the plan for it? I mean, do you have a tactical reason for sticking him on a dragon or did you just think it would look cool?

danny7865
03-07-2009, 18:22
i was thinking of making him only harmed by magical attacks and make him spam spells.Gives me the magic superiority amd lets me have a terror bomb.Also for rear charges when enemy are close to my units.

Lord Dan
03-07-2009, 18:25
Not a bad idea, just remember the dragon can still be killed by those non-magical great cannon rounds to the face.

danny7865
03-07-2009, 18:33
well one of the things which is making me reconsider

danny7865
03-07-2009, 18:45
I am considering running another two level 2's and giving the archmage the ring of corin or jewel of the dusk
but is magic worth it?

Desert Rain
03-07-2009, 19:53
Although it would look awesome with an archmage on a moon dragon I have to say it's not worth it. The dragon wants to be in combat were it can wreck havoc whereas the archmage wants to stay out of combat as much as possible. So it doesn't really work.

One nasty thing you can do if you want to run him anyway is to take lore of death and the spell Doom & Darkness which you use on the enemy elite unit (that's not imune to psychology) and then place the dragon next to that unit and watch it run for the hills.

danny7865
03-07-2009, 20:36
well i might just run a dragon mage with etherealness and sword of ruin.....

GenerationTerrorist
03-07-2009, 22:56
Archmage on a Great Eagle would be far more effective for the points.

sroblin
04-07-2009, 04:04
Well, it's doable, it's just not a very effiicient use of the ablities of both the archmage and the dragon. The dragon is 300+ points of flyin, close combat death; the breath weapon is merely a bonus, terror is nice though. The archmage is 300+ points of ranged fire power that is almost useless in melee. So basically, you end up investing 600 points in a model which can only use haf of its effective abilities every round.

Going the Forlaith's robes route would be the way to go, if you did want to do it. There's something to be said for versatilty, it's just that the cost of it in this combintion is too high for it to be a 'good deal' in most cases. Still, I'm glad the options is available for those who want it.

Alathir
04-07-2009, 04:56
I've tried it before, wasn't very impressed to be honest. You are paying for alot of points for something that half of should be in combat asap and the other half should be as far away as possible. The biggest advantage is using the dragon's Large Target rule for the mage's Line of Sight but I found that I kept the dragon out of combat most of the game, which turned out to be a waste of points.

I've since tried an Archmage on an eagle and each time have been very satisfied with his performance.

Condottiere
04-07-2009, 05:05
It looks cool, but I'd say in two out of three battles you'll be hiding him because of missiles, and the armies that don't have integral missile troops have pretty good combat ones.

sulla
04-07-2009, 06:32
Not as good as the DE or WoC versions. DE can be resilient in cc and vs shooting due to the pendant and still able to cast all her spells even in cc due to the focus familiar, the chaos version can be a powerhouse in combat, resilient andboosted by -1 to all terror and panic tests caused.

The HE version unfortunately can't be made all that good in cc, so it's often better to avoid cc altogether (other than war machine crews etc). Also, I find high magic has such good range and support spells that you are usually better off on the fringes of the battle on either a light mount like a horse/eagle or in a manouverable unit like shadow warriors. I say take some risk out of the equation; play a normal dragonmage and an archmage on foot. The dragonmage doesn't hurt you too much if he dies, is still powerful enough to take on war machine crew and fast cav in cc and lets your archmage stay safely out of harms way for the most part.

Lord Dan
04-07-2009, 07:45
I also just considered how a Dwarf army would ruin your day...

Aranel
04-07-2009, 17:40
Sorry guys, Forlaith's Robe can only bue used by a model on foot. Too weak IMO. against anything with a reasonable amount of ranged attacks he will die quickly.

danny7865
04-07-2009, 18:31
lol typical.I'm really thinking just a dragon mage with a guardian phoenix will have to do.

Condottiere
04-07-2009, 18:36
For something that expensive, I wouldn't put my faith in a 33% of success.

sulla
05-07-2009, 20:50
For something that expensive, I wouldn't put my faith in a 33% of success.Plus a 66% chance of hitting the dragon instead? Regardless, I wouldn't bother either. I'd focus on minimising LoS from enemy shooters till they were dealt with by your support units.