PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic and Tomb Kings

EvC
03-07-2009, 18:37
I'm just trying to work out for my own satisfaction if any of the new books' anti-magic trickery works against Tomb Kings. Here's a list and my thoughts, any suggestions as to which might or might not work, or any additional suggestions would be appreciated:
-High Elves: Drain Magic adds 3 to the casting value of spells. It doesn't harm TK magic (and if anything, it makes them harder to dispel!)
-Vampire Counts: Balefire reduces the power level of spells by 1. It affects TK magic?
-Daemons of Chaos: Sundering has no effect.
-Dark Elves: Ring of Hotek has no effect.
-Warriors of Chaos: Black Tongue can never work on them. If a Hellcannon misfires, Liche Priests suffer the miscast, which can be modified by Infernal Puppet.
-Lizardmen: they don't use power dice, so Becalming Cogitation cannot affect any of the casters. Cupped Hands can transfer a miscast (Only to Liche Priests).

Any I'm missing?

bludsturm
03-07-2009, 19:46
-Vampire Counts: Balefire reduces the power level of spells by 1. It affects TK magic?

I thought VC's Balefire just provided a -1 to casting rolls, so it would not affect TK bound spells.

PeG
03-07-2009, 21:04
Not much you can do except for lots of dispel dice which is usually more efficient against TK than against many others.

Tae
03-07-2009, 22:16
I thought VC's Balefire just provided a -1 to casting rolls, so it would not affect TK bound spells.

Correct, it states that enemy wizards suffer -1 to casting rolls.

Also, Dark Elves : Null Talismans will have limited/no effect as they only grant MR which requires the unit to be targetted by the TK magic, which as far as I remember, is mostly (though not entirely) targetting their own units.

Leth Shyish'phak
04-07-2009, 20:07
-High Elves: Drain Magic adds 3 to the casting value of spells. It doesn't harm TK magic (and if anything, it makes them harder to dispel!)

Q. Does Drain Magic affect Bound Spells or
Tomb Kingsí Incantantions?
A. No, as they donít have a casting value.

No making them harder to dispel. :)

Everything else is correct.

Gazak Blacktoof
04-07-2009, 20:14
The nastiest thing you can do to tomb kings is to destroy the hierophant's movement spell.

The high elf and dark elf rules/ items certainly have no effect on incantations- I can't comment on the others.

EvC
05-07-2009, 00:14
I think TK incantations have a special allowance to never be destroyed?

Sarah S
05-07-2009, 01:02
That is certainly not correct.

havoc626
05-07-2009, 02:02
TK incantations can be 'destroyed' by certain abilities (cant think of any, but I know there is some out there), and I think it even says this in the army book (although it might be talking about a different ability that affects spells.)

Tykinkuula
05-07-2009, 02:31
Seal of Destruction is a good example (Dispell scroll and forget the spell on 4+)

After writing the above, I opened the TK book, and behold:

...For example, if the spell is destroyed by an enemy magic item (such as the Seal of Destruction form the Empire Magic Items list), the lich priest who suffers the effect will not know that incantation for the remainder of the battle.

havoc626
05-07-2009, 07:21
Yeah, and I think Lizardmen have something with the same affect, too. (Or, at least, they used to, not sure if they still do.)

Gazak Blacktoof
05-07-2009, 09:27
I think TK incantations have a special allowance to never be destroyed?

You can't destroy the "my will be done" of the kings and princes but those of the liches can (as others have clarified).

EvC
05-07-2009, 11:32
Ah, that's what I was thinking of then :)

kyinpie
05-07-2009, 13:32
im a long time tomb king player, and i always believed that the kings and princes could be affected by such spells as the seal of distruction! i just flliped through the army book, i cant see anywhere where it stats that the kings/princes are immune to it! if you could point me in the correct direction, page number or something! thanks!

i'd say the only person in the tomb king army that would be immune to items like that is khalida! as your not alloud to use scrolls to stop the spell etc!

cheers ky

Gazak Blacktoof
05-07-2009, 15:29
I had a look through the current FAQs and can't find it. Unless I'm imagining it, somebody has been sly and changed it. Apparently you can now actually steal "my will be done" using alred's casket of sorcery.:wtf:

Sarah S
05-07-2009, 15:51
Except that Kings and Princes do not count as Wizards, so any item that operates on "Wizards" by using that specific term in its rules language has no power over them.

grumbaki
05-07-2009, 15:51
Could you use aldred's casket of sorcery to steal the casket of soul's spell?

Tykinkuula
05-07-2009, 17:09
You couldn't, as cascket of souls isn't a wizard.

Gazak Blacktoof
06-07-2009, 08:47
Except that Kings and Princes do not count as Wizards, so any item that operates on "Wizards" by using that specific term in its rules language has no power over them.

So the FAQ is a load of rubbish. Well it wouldn't be the first time.

Did I just imagine that "my will be done" can't be destroyed? Nobody has commented on that yet.

Lord Zarkov
06-07-2009, 11:06
It might have been in the older TK FAQ.
They changed it fairly recently to remove the Scorpion Clarification and change the Casket one

Masque
08-07-2009, 06:40
Fairly recently as in when? The GW website says the TK FAQ is the February, 2008 edition but it is no different than the one we've had since 2006. Open it up in Foxit Reader and check it's properties. It was created and last edited on September 29, 2006.