PDA

View Full Version : 1500 points of undead tomb kings goodness

zephyro
08-05-2005, 13:09
- Tomb Prince(in chariot unit)
Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt, Chariot of Fire, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Chariot
Cost: 203

- Liche Priest(in big horsemen unit)
Staff of Ravening, Skeletal Steed
Cost: 168

- Liche Priest
Cloak of the Dunes, Heiratic Jar
Cost: 160

24 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Shields, Light Armour, Full Command
Cost: 241

12 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows, Standard
Cost: 106

12 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows, Standard
Cost: 106

11 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen
Hand Weapons, Spears, Light Armour, Shields, Full Command, War Banner
Cost: 236

3 Chariots
Hand Weapons, Spears, Bows, Full Command, Mirage Standard
Cost: 210

5 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen
Hand Weapons, Spears, Light Armour, Shields
Cost: 80

total:1510 (we may go a total of 10 points over in my gaming group)

Chariots on 1 flank, big horsemen group on the other.
Big skellies regiment goes in the middle.
The bow units go in between those units.
The smal horsemen unit goes everywhere over the field, lending flanking help when needed.
The whole army marches forward all the time (I know they can't march)

Zephyro

Oguleth
08-05-2005, 13:42
Why bother with heavy horsemen? Chariots are actually more hardhitting and easier to manouver than Heavy Horsemen... If you combine charges with different chariot units, you can get the ON bonus from that instead of having everything in one unit.

I think the magical items the prince has is largely insignificant, so don`t bother taking them, and spend points on troops instead...

Snoozer
08-05-2005, 15:02
I don't think heavy horsemen are useless, the act very differently to chariots. Put the 2 units together and you get a 4x4 unit that outnumber pretty much anything, has rank bonus and a standard. And when it wins it autobreaks the enemy, because of the outnumber rule. I would also take one big skeletton bow man unit rather than 2 small units, thay could hold as good as an normal skeleton unit and shoot also.

This would also make the army seem very small, so I dont know if it is the best thing to do and you really wouldn't have any flankers other than the chariots. Maybe its best the way you have it :)

Mooglemen
08-05-2005, 18:56
As far as a 1500 point army, I think this is a great start. I got bogged down getting my specials ready (I took forever to paint up my ushabti), and never really achieved this strong base of core troops. From here, it is a simple matter to scale up to 2000pts. Just add a scorpion or two, maybe a catapult and tweak the characters and you're there. I may have a touch of VC in me, but I think the more skeletons the better. I usually run with three blocks at least 20 strong. I also respect your commitment to the Heavy Horse, they have disappointed me a few times, but they can do the trick if played right. Snoozer has the right idea, 5 heavy horse is basically useless, so combine those units and maybe leave the liche off the horse. You didn't really want him in combat anyway. For a few more points tweaks, I would recommend dropping the musician, champ and mirage standard from the chariots, they are too expensive, and with your TP in there, you shouldn't need them. With just those saved points you could add in a scorpion. Just a few thoughts.

zephyro
08-05-2005, 19:01
hmmm, I see you points.

I'll put the 2 horsemen units together, to make 1 big linebreaker.Howeverm I'll change the banner the the undying legion one, cause I think there will be lots of missile fire at them.

The liche on horse will go off, and take nefarra's plaque instead, to get some high rolls in (so my opponent has much more chance to loose the rolls)
In total I got:
tp+lp+lp+banner=6 bound spell dice in here. I guess it's a bit low, but for 1000, I'm gonna put in a lhp (magic is just so important IMO) and maybe a casket.(so I have 13 dice then!)

I think I'm gonna do that chariot part too. First need to find a bit more money then :D.

Zephyro

Mooglemen
08-05-2005, 19:09
One more opinion if you want it, the plaques are wasted on anything but the high LP. It's too many points spent to justify helping out one spell that may or may not be cast each round. Now on a HLP, it makes his magic almost require a dispel scroll. In less then 2000pts, I mainly leave my liches naked and try to keep them protected. This army has to spend a lot of points on characters, so any points you can squeeze free from characters is more spent on your troops which is where the game is really won.

Mooglemen
08-05-2005, 19:13
Another thought, if you want better magic, why not replace the plaques with a heiratic jar instead. it's 5 points cheaper, packs a nasty surprise for your opponent, and will be more directly beneficial at this points level.

Star.Scream
09-05-2005, 05:00
>>>>>Concerning the Princes items; I find that the Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt isnt worth the points, especially in a 1500pt list. Sure, ward save for the chariot, but unless you are going up against an army with 2+ cannons I would drop it; the likelyhood of it having a huge effect is very small.

The Chariot of Fire I like though; I often take it; even though I usally roll 1's for it (no joke, I cant remember the last time I rolled higher then a 2 with it :( ). But its still there for great effect :p

zephyro
09-05-2005, 08:00
Another thought, if you want better magic, why not replace the plaques with a heiratic jar instead. it's 5 points cheaper, packs a nasty surprise for your opponent, and will be more directly beneficial at this points level.

ehhh.Sorry, but my hierophant priest already has the jar, and the cloak of dunes, so that's not possible.

I understand the part about the eye, I'll try and modify my list a bit:

my liche goes off the horse, and gets the staff of revenging, against those nasty skirmishers going from the back and such.

my prince looses the eye, and gets the talisman of pro. and a enchanted shield (this worked well for me in other games)

Zephyro

zephyro
09-05-2005, 20:42
(sorry for the double post)

I've decided to change my list into this:

- Tomb Prince(in big skellie unit of hw/shield guys)
light armour, shield, armour of ages,vambraces of the sun,Great weapon.
Cost: 158

- Liche Priest
Staff of Ravening, Skeletal Steed
Cost: 168

- Liche Priest
Cloak of the Dunes, Heiratic Jar
Cost: 160

23 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Shields, Light Armour, Full Command
Cost: 232

12 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
Cost: 96

12 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
Cost: 96

16 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen
Hand Weapons, Spears, Light Armour, Shields, Full Command, War Banner
Cost: 316

3 Chariots
Hand Weapons, Spears, Bows,standard, icon of the sacred eye (want to get as many kills as possible)
Cost: 190

1 tomb scorpion
cost: 85

total:1501

Zephyro

Mooglemen
11-05-2005, 00:20
Not that you were really looking for my approval of the list... but I approve. Looks solid to me. Good luck with it