PDA

View Full Version : A question of Dkok

petesamd
04-07-2009, 02:41
hello kinsmen,

while looking at the Forge World catalog I came across these http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dkkgorginf.htm . now I wanted to know, even though there not in very combat poses is there anything stopping me from basing them and using them as troops? Thanks for the help!

Yours,
Petesamd

Mannimarco
04-07-2009, 02:46
yeah ive seen it done before, they come on those strips so blast templates will hurt a lot

you could always clip them so they are individual but then you run the risk of breaking them

HiveFleetEzekial
04-07-2009, 03:10
They come on those strips, because they were originaly meant to fill up a gorgon's transport bay, for looks, not game effect.

And many people have been buying these, just to trim them all off each other and use them in singles, for it being a cheaper deal.

zetaplus
04-07-2009, 05:19
I wonder how well they are joined together *strokes chin*

Sir_Lunchalot
04-07-2009, 05:51
As the owner of a bunch of them, it depends. Some can be separated with only minor puttywork. Most, however, will require significant time and skill to resculpt into anything decent looking. Your best bet is going to be to get some 40k equivalent of regiment bases, probably some large oval things, and use those, and just say that one hit on the base hits the 5 guardsmen on it for stuff like blast weapons. Of course this will not fly with tournaments, but I'm assuming you're using DKOK for aesthetic reasons.

petesamd
04-07-2009, 15:45
Thank you for all the help! The sculpting would be the most difficult, yet I may attempt it in the future.

-=Lazuli=-
04-07-2009, 18:02
I recently bought some and did just that. I got about 20 off easily and didn't even bother with the putty work. The others are pretty hard to get off.

sigur
04-07-2009, 18:50
If you decide to do A DKoK army, why be a cheapskate and attempt stuff like this?

HiveFleetEzekial
04-07-2009, 19:07
Because some people, while they may want the 'expensive' army, simply can't afford to buy many seperate squads...?

Sir_Lunchalot: Did you, perhaps, try a jewler's saw? These things, while very thin and flimsy, are well.. thin.. enough to make some of those cuts closer to the profiles of the figures as they 'should be'. (though from what I understand, they're easier to break. But you only need a little strip for something that narrow)

Ghaust Mortium
04-07-2009, 19:15
You could um...Ca** and Mou**

Sir_Lunchalot
04-07-2009, 19:31
HiveFleetEzekiel, I haven't tried cutting them apart, but just by looking at them, some are pretty well separated, and some are melded very much together. My plan is to eventually put them on oval regiment bases, and do what I suggested in my earlier post.

sigur
04-07-2009, 19:32
Because some people, while they may want the 'expensive' army, simply can't afford to buy many seperate squads...?

Sounds pretty darned short-sighted, doesn't it.

Sir_Lunchalot
04-07-2009, 19:37
It does, sort of.The best bet to do DKoK on a budget is probably to spread the project out over a few years.

petesamd
05-07-2009, 01:08
If you decide to do A DKoK army, why be a cheapskate and attempt stuff like this?

Forgive me If I'm misinterpreting your point but following that logic, do you think buying things from eBay or store like The Warstore is the cheapskate way to buying an army?

The Orange
05-07-2009, 02:26
Forgive me If I'm misinterpreting your point but following that logic, do you think buying things from eBay or store like The Warstore is the cheapskate way to buying an army?

Not really a good analogy tbh. Buying off ebay you get the same product for cheaper. With these DKoK strips your trying to get an aesthetically pleasing army but the end result is a bunch of damaged models. And it's possible that the owner may not be as happy with the final product as they thought they would be. The end result is that they'll have a DKoK army, but one where most all of them are in the same or similar poses, so it won't be as aesthetically pleasing as a real DKoK army (false expectations). This is not such a great analogy either (FW does do nice sculpts after all) but it'd be like building a SM army completely out of those 3 piece marines from the Start Boxes.

(Please don't take this as though I'm looking down on anyone that is trying this or thinking about it. It's your army so do what makes you happy :))

petesamd
05-07-2009, 03:04
Ok thank you for explaining. would I be right in assuming that sense they don't really look like there in war like posses The strips would probably be good in dioramas were you could separate the easy ones and have the ones together like that (possibly over a fire, ect.) ? Thanks again for the help!

-=Lazuli=-
05-07-2009, 03:26
They're not that bad really. I mix them up in other squads and no one really notices. Check the log in my sig. It is kind of cheaps, but I don't like assembly very much so it worked for me.