PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question

The Night Sojourner
02-01-2006, 23:37
Are spears two handed weapons...I looked it up, but i could not find anything about it.

Wickerman71
03-01-2006, 00:26
No; you can use them with a shield.

The Night Sojourner
03-01-2006, 03:05
thx man...because I thought I was crazy becuase ppl were giving me the impression that an empire spearman could not use a shield and spear at the same time.

Da GoBBo
03-01-2006, 11:51
:D They probably can't, silly hummies.

Lady's Champion
03-01-2006, 11:53
In close combat you can only use the spear though... right?

SuperBeast
03-01-2006, 12:14
In close combat you can only use the spear though... right?
Nope, spears are single-handed weapons, so you get to use both spear and shield in close combat.
You just don't get the +1Sv for hand weapon and shield. :D

Edge
03-01-2006, 12:16
no you get to use spear and shield if i recall right

Griefbringer
03-01-2006, 12:22
I thought I was crazy becuase ppl were giving me the impression that an empire spearman could not use a shield and spear at the same time.

Never trust people about the rules unless they can point out the appropriate section of rulebook.

SuperBeast
03-01-2006, 14:01
Never trust people about the rules unless they can point out the appropriate section of rulebook.
Probably been said before, but I'll give you the credit.
Stolen.;)

mageith
03-01-2006, 15:14
Any model can use a shield unless there's a rule to prevent it (64) and its part of their profile in their army book.

The main rule that prevents it are using weapons that require two-hands. (89) As has been pointed out the spear is not listed as a weapon that requires two-hands.(92)

Mage Ith

Major Defense
03-01-2006, 15:25
Any model can use a shield unless there's a rule to prevent it (64) and its part of their profile in their army book.

My HE mages cannot use a shield and not because of a stated rule. There simply is no option in their description to buy non-magical shields.

SuperBeast
03-01-2006, 15:47
My HE mages cannot use a shield and not because of a stated rule. There simply is no option in their description to buy non-magical shields.
That's a little pedantic, don't you think?
There's a difference between not being allowed to have something and knowing what to do with it.
I know how to use a .22 bolt action rifle, but I'm not allowed to have one.
(See also: Priests, Catholic - celibacy thereof):D

Mageith's point (rephrased to prevent ANY misunderstanding:rolleyes:) was that, unless specifically stated otherwise (usually with regard to equipment combinations), a model may always use a shield if it is carrying one.
Dwarf Rangers, Chaos Warriors, Temple Guard, etc. - these are all examples of troops who carry shields as well as weapons that cannot be used in conjunction with them.

I'd say that not being allowed to take a piece of equipment would qualify as "a rule to prevent it", wouldn't you?