PDA

View Full Version : dark rider conversions

TheRabidMongoose
04-07-2009, 15:00
hey i recently started up dark elves again after drooling a lot over the box of cok i bought and i was wondering what people would suggest for dark rider conversions as i dont really like the models atm and theyr pretty pricey for 1 model. also if any1 happens to have heard anything about plastic dark riders being brought out soon il be glad to hear it

Griefbringer
04-07-2009, 17:01
You might want to start by taking a glance at the plastic wood elf glade riders - combining those with leftover bits from various DE kits might result in something useful.

~Aura~
04-07-2009, 17:29
Yeah, that's usually the way most people go. If you want other ideas:

- Spider/Elf centaurs, ala D&D Driders

- Mount them on Cold Ones, and GS armour on your Cold One Rider's Cold Ones

- You could use the Marauder Horsemen horses and DE warrior bitz

- You could model them as beastmasters, one beastmaster and one beast (hound or baby hydra or spider or something) per cav base.

LaughinGremlin
04-07-2009, 17:50
HORDES (Privateer Press) makes a set of dark elves called "Legion of Everblight." It's not cheap, but once you make aunit of dark riders out of their elk riders, you'll be tempted to get more of their range for executioners, scouts, "mutated shark harpies," a new mutated shark hydra, etc.

Who cares if they have composite bows instead of crossbows?! It could be said that they are rapid shooters in this particualr "shark clan" of elves, who, by the way, don't use a dark pegasus, but created a shark-headed, multi-winged serpent - thingy. Check out the range and let your imagination (and pocket book) run wild.

No, I'm not kidding, and this is exactly what I'm doing. :angel:

P.S. - I think that your cok will fit in nicely with the rest of the HORDES models.

Griefbringer
04-07-2009, 18:23
- You could model them as beastmasters, one beastmaster and one beast (hound or baby hydra or spider or something) per cav base.

Or two warriors/corsairs on the cavalry base - first one holding spear and crossbow, the second one clapping together two coconut halves...

lakissov
04-07-2009, 19:17
For dark riders with crossbows it's a good idea to use wood elf steeds, with a mix of Glade Rider and Corsair bits for the riders - just remove the wood elf symbols with a knife (this is rather easy, actually).

If you want a more CC-oriented look for your dark riders, then Mounted Marauder horses are a good starting point. On top of them you might want to have a mix of marauder and corsair bits.

For both cases, I'd be taking the legs of the same type as the horse, and use the torsoes, heads and arms from corsairs. This isn't overly complicated to convert.