PDA

View Full Version : WAAAAAAAGH! 2250 O&G list

Dakkapantz
04-07-2009, 17:43
Hey all,

I want to know what everyone thinks of this list. I have kind of cobbled together a lot of advice from previous lists and this is the result:

Lords and heroes

Black orc warboss: Ulag's akkrit axe, enchanted shield, heavy amour, biged's kickin boots, warboss um's boss' at. (251)

Black orc BSB: Heavy armour, boar, Morks spirit totem. (180)

Orc shaman: lv. 2 wizard, 1 dispel scroll, nibbla's itty ring. (145)

Night goblin shaman: Lv.2 wizard, staff of sneaky stealin. (135)

The black orc warboss should be able to smack around anything he runs into, and will be hanging out with a unit of boyz. The BSB will be in the black orc unit and (hopefully) stop stuff from breaking, as he will be in the center of the army line. I have been advised NOT to take only 2 level 2s, as I will apparently be stomped on in every magic phase, but they seem to work well, as most people in my gaming area seem to play magic defensively(ie 1 scroll caddy or 2). They seem perfectly able to get spells off, and I have plenty of dispel dice to shut down some of my opponents magic.

Core units

24 orc boyz: 2 choppas, full command. (193)
5 goblin wolf riders: spears, short bows, musician. (76)
5 goblin wolf riders: spears, short bows, musician. (76)
29 night goblins: 1 fanatic, nets, full command. (167)

3 solid units of boyz to from a string battle line, they fair very well in CC, and can beat most troops if they get the charge and havent been whittled away by shooting, and with 3 units of 24, chances are most of them will make it into CC.
The wolfs are there for helping the boyz out, taking out war machines and skirmishers.

Special Units

19 Black orcs: Shields, Full command, war banner. (329)
2 goblin spear chukkas: (70)
2 goblin spear chukkas: (70)

The black orcs are great in CC, and I have so many because they always seem to take the brunt of the shooting and magic coming from my opponent. Since I used to be taking a unit of 30, cutting it down to 19 is a big improvement:D

The spear chukkas take out monsters, and heavy troops, and usually earn their points back at least.

Rare Units

1 goblin doom diver: (80)

2 snotling pump wagons: (80)

the doom diver is also good at taking out heavy troops, especially heavy cavalry(no armour save and Strength 5 hurts), but is not always so accurate, as I am not the best range guesser. I have not had any experience with the pump wagons, and would like to know what people thnk about them. 2d6 impact hits is good, but after that, it will probably get crushed.

Any comments on how I could improve this list are welcome. It is not meant to be really competetive, just decent, I dont want to seem like a jerk and take really cheesy choices or anything.

Cheerz

Dakkapantz

rtunian
04-07-2009, 22:30
imo your bsb would be better with shield boyz than blorcs. you will keep your totem bonus longer for one, give the boyz quell animosity for two, and you will be free to trim the blorc champion and 4 blorcs, so that you can afford a rock lobba or perhaps a chariot.

Stuffburger
05-07-2009, 01:20
I'd take the unused special choice and find a way to work in a boar chariot- they are cheap and capable of wreaking an entire flank, forcing your opponent to deploy and move his troops in a sub-optimal way. Since you have quite a bit of DD already getting rid of the staff would get you most of the way there. Reducing the blackorcs to 14 would easily pay for it.

I'd also swap a unit of wolves for spiders, for a little more versatility. Being able to march through a wood will scare most opponents even if they are pretty terrible in combat.

Witchblade
05-07-2009, 01:42
What's the purpose of the night goblins? You already have 3/4 anvils and they won't do much but provide static CR in combat (and use nets). They also hamper deployment. I'd swap them for a boar chariot - great help in combat and good flanker - and either 10 savage orcs with double choppas - very nasty detachment - or some arrer boyz - also a good detachment and they can shoot fast cavalry, which the rest of your army can't.

I'm not sure about blorcs TBH. They're costly.

Regarding pump wagons, keep them behind your lines to kill march blockers and fliers. They are too vulnerable to take shooting and their random movement allows 360 charges. Once your lines are in combat, the pump wagons can add some extra punch or go for war machines.

Dakkapantz
05-07-2009, 15:19
Hey all,

Thanks for the comments, I really apreciate them.

rtunian: You're probably right, I think I will put the BSB in a unit of boyz, they could use the help in CC. Are Black orcs really good in units of 15 or something? It wouldnt seem so to me, but I am probably missing something. Could you expand on that please? Thanks a lot.

Stuffburger: Thanks, I could use a boar chariot, and I have one handy so I might as well. I think I will drop the night goblins and the staff to pay for them and another unit.

Witchbade: thanks for ponting that out, I wouldnt want to clog up my battle line, and they will probably lose in CC. I'll drop them. You recomended savage orcs, and I think I will include some of them. They look fun. Thanks for the info on the pump wagons as well. 360 LOS is awesome. That'l surprise some people I play with. Do they get that because of random movement or is it just a special rule?

Cheerz

Dakkapantz

rtunian
05-07-2009, 15:36
rtunian: You're probably right, I think I will put the BSB in a unit of boyz, they could use the help in CC. Are Black orcs really good in units of 15 or something? It wouldnt seem so to me, but I am probably missing something. Could you expand on that please? Thanks a lot.

i never take more than 10-12 blorcs at 2k (when i take them). i suggested cutting 5-10 of them, because you seem to have an affinity for them (previously running them 30 strong). 15 isn't a "magic number", like 21 is for night goblin bowmen/throwaways.

10 blorcs is generally going to be enough, but 12 in ranks of 6 is a good min too. the problem with big blorc blocks is the points cost; they preclude you from taking as many boyz as you usually are going to need. in your case, though, you have 75 boyz already, so you can probably get away with a big blorc block, but you still would be much better off with a smaller blorc block and a lobba or chariot

Witchblade
05-07-2009, 19:06
Pump wagons always move 2d6'. If they hit something, it counts as a charge, so they don't need LoS to charge. The fact they're chariots makes many people think they should be used offensively, but I think they're much better suited to hide behind your lines and kill march blockers until your main army has reached the enemy lines. They basically protect a ~7' radius from eagles and such. Also, I think they don't suffer a movement penalty due to terrain (it says something like 'always moves 2d6' with 'always' bolded), but you'd have to check this.

rtunian
05-07-2009, 21:27
you do not take any movement penalty for terrain with chariots.
you take d6 s6 hits.
pg.62

Witchblade
05-07-2009, 21:53
D'oh, of course, the D6 S6 hits... amend my advice as follows: avoid terrain at all costs. :p

Are you sure all chariots ignore terrain penalties? P.62 states they take the hits, but it does not exempt them from the rule that distances through difficult terrain count as doubled. Maybe I should make a different thread for this, as I don't want to hijack this one(?).

rtunian
05-07-2009, 21:58
oh, maybe it does... i suppose i assumed the damage penalty replaced the movement penalty...

someone else weigh in please :p