PDA

View Full Version : Confirming an LoS suspicion

jaxom
04-07-2009, 22:57
If a large target is in the front rank of combat (e.g. a giant in combat) can it see out of combat?

I can't think of any exceptions anywhere but am I missing something? Because he is engaged in melee I don't think he has LoS to anything but the unit(s) he is fighting?

puppetmaster24
04-07-2009, 23:02
he cannot see out of combat.

Falkman
04-07-2009, 23:24
Wrong puppetmaster.
He is fully able to draw line of sight over troops he is fighting.

Drachen_Jager
05-07-2009, 05:10
There is nothing about being in combat that changes the LOS rules. A model that was not a large target but was only engaged on the corner of an opposing unit would have LOS to other units too.

nosferatu1001
05-07-2009, 11:53
Yes, this does mean a steg priest can cast spells out of combat as he has LOS, quite handy to shoot the annoying units walking up towards you....

Lord Zarkov
05-07-2009, 11:58
With the caveat of course that Magic Missiles may still not be cast.

EvC
05-07-2009, 12:32
Yep, line of sight rules are actually so simple and tautological that they confuse people: if the model can draw line of sight, then it can draw line of sight.

nosferatu1001
05-07-2009, 13:52
...although a steg priest does not have magic missiles, so unless there is a slann on the table it will never be an issue.

Lordmonkey
06-07-2009, 08:32
Can someone please confirm/deny the validity of following scenarios:

A wizard in the front rank of a unit in combat engaged in the front, with one model opposite and one either side may cast LoS spells at what he can see, which will usualy only be the models in front. He cannot cast magic missiles.

A wizard on the left front corner of a unit engaged in the front, in base contact with the enemy, may cast LoS spells at what he can see, which is the unit in front and anything to his left-half arc of vision. He cannot cast magic missiles.

A wizard on the left front corner of a unit engaged in the front, not in base contact with the enemy may cast LoS spells at what he can see. He can cast magic missiles.

Gazak Blacktoof
06-07-2009, 08:40
He may not cast magic missiles even if not in BTB contact with an enemy as he is still in close combat.

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 09:59
What Gazak said,
Magic Missiles have a specific restriction - they may never be cast while the bearer is in close combat.

Lordmonkey
06-07-2009, 10:34
He may not cast magic missiles even if not in BTB contact with an enemy as he is still in close combat.

What Gazak said,
Magic Missiles have a specific restriction - they may never be cast while the bearer is in close combat.

What is the definition of "in close combat"? Does this include base contact or not?

Does the character himself need to be in btb contact or just his unit? Point in case: The helm from VC allows the bearer to give his WS to a unit if he is not in "close combat". This is commonly used even if the bearer's unit is in CC, as long as the bearer himself is not in base contact with the enemy.

So what's the difference with Magic Missiles? Could this Vampire also cast Gaze of Nagash?

I'm not being obtuse or anything here, I just genuinely don't understand where the line is drawn (and can't find my damned rulebook :( )

Lord Zarkov
06-07-2009, 11:12
Magic Missiles can only be cast at something if it is a viable target for shooting (BRB in the magic section). You cannot shoot if your unit is in combat (regardless of btb) so MMs cannot be used.

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 11:29
If your unit is in combat, so are you.

If you can't leave your unit as your unit is in combat, then you're in combat.

EvC
06-07-2009, 11:49
Magic missiles rules do take the effort to explain that they cannot be used if the bearer or the unit he is with is in combat. No need to overthink this one :)

Lordmonkey
06-07-2009, 12:40
Magic missiles rules do take the effort to explain that they cannot be used if the bearer or the unit he is with is in combat. No need to overthink this one :)

Thanks for this - the sort of definitive answer I was after. One disadvantage of smaller BRB's is that they are easy to misplace! :rolleyes:

EvC
06-07-2009, 13:15
Yes indeedy, I have lost mine actually, left behind at a store, curses...

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 14:22
That's why I "borrow" my partners one....

jaxom
06-07-2009, 18:45
...although a steg priest does not have magic missiles, so unless there is a slann on the table it will never be an issue.

Are the thunderbolts not MM? I'll have to look at those again, but I thought that at least Uranon's was.

I'll also have to look up the rules on the Helm of Command. I think it was FAQ'd.

nosferatu1001
06-07-2009, 22:01
Nope, neither of them are MM - it's one reason they are more points, as fewer things give protection against that. That and the unlimited range....