PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Mortal Chaos. First attempt at Chaos been away from WHFB for years.

gubnutz
03-01-2006, 04:09
I have been playing Warhammer for around 6 years but have been playing 40K for the last 3 or so with a few Mordhiem games about 2years ago. Have decieded that 2006 will be a good year to venture back into WHFB and am doing it w/ Chaos. Played O&G long ago and loved them but wanted something different. Feel that Mortal Chaos is what I was lokking for. Want to paint as I go so figured I would go w/ 1000 point force to start. Love the idea of the Slaanesh army so going w/ that here is the 1000 pointer I have come up with. Advice welcome.

Aspiring champion general
MoS
Biting Blade Enchanted Shield 120

Slaanesh sorceror
Lvl 2 MoS

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

11 Chaos Warriors
Full Command MoS 215
General goes here

16 marauders
Full Command Flails 121

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

I figure this is a pretty fast army with a solid backbone of CC troops as well. I have the warriors with the general to come in with the Marauders w/ flails after the horsemen and the hounds rush out. Fiends of slaanesh should be nice in combat as well and the 3d6 is nice addition IMHO.

Anyway LMK what you guys think.

As for expansion of the army I currently have
Lord Of Slaanesh on Beast of Slaanesh
12 more warriors
5 knights
hellcannon
5 more hounds
1 more spawn
6 mounted demonettes
12 regular demonettes
Assorted Charecters to add.

Thanks in advance

Neknoh
03-01-2006, 09:11
Well...

First of all, welcome to the realms of Chaos, second, there are some things I'll have to explain about your list and your upgrades:

MoS

First of all, never EVER take an Aspiring Champion over an Exalted, those 20 extra points buys you an extra point of WS, an extra attack and the abillity to ride god-specifik steeds.

Second, the Biting Blade is useless, for ten more points, you can get a weapon that gives you +1 strength, which also affects the chance of wounding, not to be forgotten, there are some very nice swords in the Chaos list, I myself like to use the Blade of Blood on my general in 1k games, makes him oh so much more durable.

Slaanesh sorceror
Lvl 2 MoS

This is nice, however, I'd deffinately give him some powerstones or a Power Familliar due to the fact that you want to be able to punch those Slaanesh spells through.

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

Very good, VERY good.

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

Can be nice, but, they can also be dropped if you need the points, I don't really see what you want so many of them for.

11 Chaos Warriors
Full Command MoS 215
General goes here

Even though your general goes here, you should NOT remove a model, rather than loose a Rank Bonus faster, save the model and have him in a rank of his own at the back, makiing sure that a single lucky shot doesn't remove your Rank bonus.

This unit might also see some trouble when it comes to winning combats, Chaos Warriors are designed to kill stuff, but, with only a single attack, they cannot (and additional handweapons make them vulnerable), might I suggest picking up a sprue of Chaos Warriors through Mail Order via your local store or the internet? That way, you'd have a unit of 16 Warriors with am Exalted Champion, this should surely be enough when it comes to handling enemies.

You could of course, experiment with using a Warbanner at first before ordering those extra warriors if you're unsure of wether or not you need them.

Also, what are they equipped with? I myself prefer Hallberds and Shields to go with them.

16 marauders
Full Command Flails 121

These are nice, a block of sixteen with Flails should be enough for an offensive unit, however, if you want them to be a more soak-all-sorts-of-missilefire-and-bog-down-enemy-units type of unit, I reckomend a 20-strong unit with Lightarmour and Shields, they can, of course, be given something extra as well, perhaps Greatweapons or Flails.

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

Both of these are very nice, keep them say I.

I figure this is a pretty fast army with a solid backbone of CC troops as well. I have the warriors with the general to come in with the Marauders w/ flails after the horsemen and the hounds rush out. Fiends of slaanesh should be nice in combat as well and the 3d6 is nice addition IMHO.

This is a pretty nice plan, however, you must remember, Warhounds cannot fight and die like flies unless smashed into a flank, their low Ld and high speed quickly takes them out of their generals reach where they are broken in an instant.

Anyway LMK what you guys think.

LMK?

As for expansion of the army I currently have
Lord Of Slaanesh on Beast of Slaanesh
12 more warriors
5 knights
hellcannon
5 more hounds
1 more spawn
6 mounted demonettes
12 regular demonettes
Assorted Charecters to add.

Ok, I'd use the Lord of Slaanesh on Steed of Slaanesh model as an Exalted Champion on Steed of Slaanesh with Gaze of the Gods, a Hallberd and a Shield, he can then easely handle fast-cav units, go kamikaze charging to pick out wizards from units and beat up warmachines.

As said, those 12 Warriors should be bumped to 16 if included.

5 Knights are nice, though I'd add a sixth one, make them Chosen and give them the Raptorous Standard.

A Hellcannon is up to everyone to decide, I haven't used it myself... perhaps I should proxy one in my next game aggainst me mate.

As for the Spawn, that one might be nice to include when you get to 2k, but, remember, Spawns or Hellcannon, you can't have both in 2k.

The Mounted Daemonettes are a MUST!!!! I would try and find a way to include them in your 1k army if I were you, they can easely outcharge and outmanouver most things, flank a not too well armoured unit with them (4+ save or lighter) and they break it.

The normal Daemonettes can work very nicely as a support group of 2 ranks of 6 that hangs slightly back and then swings in for the flank of a unit fighting your Marauders or Warriors.

I'd deffinately add a second or even a third sorceror when it comes to 2k, though I myself is quite fond of the Slaaneshian lore.

Latro
03-01-2006, 10:07
MoS

Slaanesh sorceror
Lvl 2 MoS

Good choices, never spend too much points on characters in small armies. Another option might be Armour of Damnation and a Great weapon ... cheap, survivable with quite a punch.

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

5 marauder horsemen
Flails
musician 81

Good choices also. Even if they don't kill anything at all, they still have an impact on the game by delivering a threat to areas otherwise unreachable ... and claiming table-quarters ofcourse.

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

5 warhounds 30

I never commit them to important battles, not even in a flank-charge ... they are just too vulnerable and die way too easy, giving combat results to the enemy. They are however excellent at being very cheap charge-bait, charge-redirecters and annoying get-in-the-way units ... any surviving warhounds are also excellent at claiming table-quarters.

(By the the way, claiming table-quarters in small battles is vital! The amount of points scored that way is very large compared to the amount of casualties.)

11 Chaos Warriors
Full Command MoS 215
General goes here

16 marauders
Full Command Flails 121

Warriors are a solid unit, especially with a character in it to provide more kills. Ranked-up marauders with flails however have never been my favourite ... they are just naked toughnes 3 humans and will die accordingly (which is very often and very fast). They also do not have the amount of attacks needed to really take advantage of the flails ... the one or two odd wounds you might score are just too easily offset by their own casualties, and any following round will just be disaster.

Small (5x2) supporting units with flails are fine, but larger units I always equip with armour and shields to give them staying power while something else provides the kills.

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

Chaos Spawn MoS 75

Very nice. A single spawn can lock-down a fully-ranked regiment for the entire game. They might not actually kill a lot, but as reasonably fast tar-pits they are great! Always try to grab the character if there's one in the unit ... you don't care about combat-results (unbreakable!), but a tasty character is always good points (not to mention keeping your spawn alive longer when it's no longer attacking you).

Just some thoughts and experiences.

:cool: