PDA

View Full Version : Help with some names

The Highlander
05-07-2009, 18:11
I’ve just added a Inquisitorial Land Raider to my SOB army and wondered if anyone could suggest a suitable Latin name for it. I was thinking of something like ‘Hammer of the Unrighteous’ or something similar, but I have no idea what the translation would be.

I’m also working on my third guard army, a tank heavy force based on the Napoleonic Imperial Guard, using the Vostroyan models, but I can’t think of a name for their homeworld. Any suggestions?

Xenobane
05-07-2009, 19:49
Hammer of the Righteous, shirley? I see what you're going for, but to me that makes it sound like it belongs to the unrighteous, not used against them!

Imperius
05-07-2009, 20:04
_____
Pango publicus
_____
Crudely translated, Hammer of the People.
_____
Pango Justicia
_____
Also crudely translated, Hammer of Justice.

susu.exp
05-07-2009, 20:22
Hammer of the righteous could be "malleus piorum".

Pango is a verb, 1st person singular. "I, who is called 'the people', hammer", "I, aka justice, hammer". The hammer is of course malleus (from which the inglish "mallet" is derived). And for the "of the" you need of course the genitive: publicorum, justiciarum.

One more edit: You could call it it "tempora malleorum"...*g*

Angel of the Black Parade
05-07-2009, 20:23
Adversus Advecto

Okay it means opposites attract, but it sounds good, imo.

Elrond12
05-07-2009, 23:29
Tempora malleorum sounds cool!

susu.exp
05-07-2009, 23:42
I´ll wait to see who gets the reference...

Imperius
05-07-2009, 23:44
No-one will, you don't normally find people on a wargames forum who know perfect (or near perfect) latin. Mine, far from perfect.
So you might aswell jsut tell us what you're refferring to.

Gdolkin
05-07-2009, 23:48
"It's Hammer Time, Heretics!"

Bregalad
06-07-2009, 00:11
"Times of the hammers" or "It's clobbering time!" (didn't even have to look it up ;))
Anyway, Sororitas are linked to Ordo Hereticus and wouldn't accompany a Land Raider named "Malleus something" (->Ordo Malleus).

silence
06-07-2009, 01:27
I can't really help with the Latin, but as to your Vostroyans I might be able to. I'm going to assume you are basing them on the Grenadiers of Napoleons Old Guard. Maybe you would like to name the world after one of the battles that the Guard where at (other than Waterloo :) ) here's a couple to get you started.

Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau, Friedland, Aspern-Essling, Wagram, Smolensk, and Borodino. Only minor elements of it were engaged in other battles, notably the battle of Baylen in Spain.

The Grenadiers where also nicknamed "les Grognards" for complaining within earshot of the Emperor, and might make a nice nickname for your regiment.

The Old Guard also included Dragoons, which would be appropriate to an armoured infantry force.

Whatever you choose I think it's a nice idea.

susu.exp
06-07-2009, 03:53
"It's Hammer Time, Heretics!"

And we have a winner.:D

The Highlander
07-07-2009, 21:39
Hammer of the Righteous, surely? I see what you're going for, but to me that makes it sound like it belongs to the unrighteous, not used against them!

I was thinking along the lines of hammering the unrighteous! Any other suggestions?

I can't really help with the Latin, but as to your Vostroyans I might be able to. I'm going to assume you are basing them on the Grenadiers of Napoleons Old Guard. Maybe you would like to name the world after one of the battles that the Guard where at (other than Waterloo ) here's a couple to get you started.

Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau, Friedland, Aspern-Essling, Wagram, Smolensk, and Borodino. Only minor elements of it were engaged in other battles, notably the battle of Baylen in Spain.

The Grenadiers where also nicknamed "les Grognards" for complaining within earshot of the Emperor, and might make a nice nickname for your regiment.

The Old Guard also included Dragoons, which would be appropriate to an armoured infantry force.

That is the idea, blue coats with black bearskins and lots of gold. I already have a designation for them, Cuirassiers, but thanks anyway. I was thinking of using some alternative name for France, like my Highlander army from Caledonia.

Kelanen
09-07-2009, 20:33
Dusts off his latin...

Hammer of the Righteous, shirley? I see what you're going for, but to me that makes it sound like it belongs to the unrighteous, not used against them!

No, naming the foe would be more usual - eg: the infamous Malleus Maleficarium = Hammer of Witches

Malleus Iniustus is the literal translation of Hammer of the Unrighteous

Malleus Impius is technically less correct (adverbal rather than adjective) but probably looks better.

Malleus Hereticus - Hammer of Heretics, is close to what you asked for, and probably more of the flavour you are looking for?

All of the above are romanticised which is the way you are used to seeing them. If you want authentic latin replace the 'u' with 'v' in all instances (eg: Mallevs Impivs), but 'u' is far easier to read and enunciate to a modern speaker. The 'v' may look better written on the side of a tank or something, if you are going for a chiselled rune style font though.

hlaine larkin
09-07-2009, 20:34
Adonis Aegle (the name of my chapter master :P)

it means- lord of light