PDA

View Full Version : What were the primarches weapons?

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-05-2005, 13:39
I was thinking the other day and I thought, 'What were the primarches weapons?'

We know Horus had his 2 lightnin claws and the Emperor had a big flaming sword and a lightning claw, Sanguinus has a big flaming sword, but what does everyone else have?

I heard somewhere that after Alpharius [or maybe Fulgrim] grew many more arms after he turned, and each held a poisoned sword, but what did he have pre-heresey?...

malika
08-05-2005, 14:01
The Primarchs had lots of weapons and types of armour they could pick from, not just a single weapon.

Horus: 2 lightening claws (both of them with incoorporated stormbolter?) in the old fluff one of the claws was secured somewhere by the =][= while Abby has the other one. Later artwork suggests that Horus has a lightening claw and a powermace.

Leman Russ: Frost Blade, some sort of fancy sword. Probably also had an axe or something.

Guilliman: Sword at first (fought against Alpharius with a sword) later on had the Gaunlets after taking them from a Chaos Champion.

Lion El Johnson: Lion Sword and probably other fancy stuff

Alpharius: Sword during his final fight against Guilliman

Fulgrim: rapiers and swords, after the Heresy when he became a Daemon Prince he got those 6 arms and the rapiers with poison.

Mortarion: scythe

Angron: probably a big chunky axe

Delicious Soy
08-05-2005, 14:05
Lion'El Johnson had a sword, the Lion sword no less. I think its fair to say that most of them favoured a sword, bolt weapon combination

Rabid Bunny 666
08-05-2005, 14:06
corax probably had the the same as shrike as he made them

salty
08-05-2005, 14:10
Horus had a big mace.

Perturabo had a hammer I think.

Sanguinius almost certainly had a power sword.

Salty :)

malika
08-05-2005, 14:19
Ferrus Manus had his hands covered with living metal.

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-05-2005, 14:41
Horus did not have a mace, but he is protrayed carrying one in a painting by Adrian Wood, which is WRONG.

Flame Boy
08-05-2005, 14:58
How can it be wrong? It's just another revision in the background. It's not as if they forgot he carried a pair of lightning claws and did it by mistake... it had to be a conscious decision to change the weapons he carries. Either way it's technically irrelevent from the current 40k time setting, as the war is a time of superstition that's probable only spoken in whispers.

I would imagine he had a pair of lightning claws, on of which was the Talon of Horus, a gift from the Emperor, and he could pick up the mace if he wished.

Delicious Soy
08-05-2005, 15:07
Where has it actually said that Horus had two lightining claws? Who descided which was the talon? Artwise, I'd say the mace/claw combo was to offset him against the Emperors Sword/powerfist combo.

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-05-2005, 15:10
It's wrong because it's not canon. The artwork also shows that there are hundreds of Horus's marines and hundreds of Custodes in the room, yet the fluff states that it was a one on one battle!

Rabid Bunny 666
08-05-2005, 15:12
apart from that poor old imperial fist termie *sniff*

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 15:39
Where has it actually said that Horus had two lightining claws? Who descided which was the talon? Artwise, I'd say the mace/claw combo was to offset him against the Emperors Sword/powerfist combo.

Both weapon combinations are from Adrian Smith artwork he did both the old and the new one.

Don't think it's ever been written down in the background what he had exactly (beyond the Talon of Horus).

malika
08-05-2005, 15:54
Call it a little bit of artistic freedom, bolters have bulletround flying out of them while a bolter is a small missle launcher. Art and fluff dont always mix.

But to think that each Primarch dogmatically had only a single combination of weapons is just wrong!

salty
08-05-2005, 18:53
I'm almost certain that Horus had a mace, I got berated myself for claiming he had two lightning claws (this was in a GW store).

Salty :)

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 20:07
I'm almost certain that Horus had a mace, I got berated myself for claiming he had two lightning claws (this was in a GW store).

He has had both, the inside front cover of the art of Adrian Smith book has the original (with two LC's) and the inside back cover has the new version (with LC & mace).

As I said beyond the single Talon of Horus there is no written evidence on either sets of weapons being the ones used during the assault on Horus's battle barge.

boogle
08-05-2005, 21:31
i would go with the Mace/LC combo as that seems to be the most up to date version

=][=Danek=][=
09-05-2005, 09:56
Actually,the original rendition of the final battle between the Emperor and Horus appeared in a VERY old issue of WD.I'll post the issue number when I can dig it out.
Also accompaning the artwork was the only story ever written that details what happened between the two of them.So yes,in terms of fluff and the canon Horus was indeed armed with two Lightning Claws.And he pretty much butchered the Emperor with them.

Typheron
09-05-2005, 11:29
given the continually changing nature of the 40k background, "cannon" is a fluid thing determined by whoever is in charge of 40k development.

As for wapon combos, ive seen the primarch of the white scars armed with a lance/halaberd thing in one of the big dioramas. Seige of the emps palace it think it was.

I would guess that all the primarchs have a whole pile of neat war gear lying arround that they would pick from depending on how they felt. More than likely they had favorite stuff in said large pile (and in the case of Russ, ill bet it really was just a pig pile in one corner of the armoury) which could be considered there signature equipment such as the talon(s) of horus.

They were great tactitions after all, they aint gonna bring a knife to a gun fight.

Nazguire
09-05-2005, 11:35
Its stated in the history of the Horus Heresy by Bill King that Angron had a rune sword. Also the epic figures of Angron had a rune sword.

Sai-Lauren
09-05-2005, 11:48
[=Danek=][=']Actually,the original rendition of the final battle between the Emperor and Horus appeared in a VERY old issue of WD.I'll post the issue number when I can dig it out.
Also accompaning the artwork was the only story ever written that details what happened between the two of them.So yes,in terms of fluff and the canon Horus was indeed armed with two Lightning Claws.And he pretty much butchered the Emperor with them.
Actually mentions the opening of the fight as lightning claw vs lightning claw, daemon sword vs rune sword (presumably the emperors) IIRC.

Unless I've read it wrong, Space Wolf (picked all 4 up in the BL sale :)) says Russ had a hammer, and I believe he's supposed to have had a spear at some point as well.

And wasn't Lysander's hammer Dorn's originally?

But I agree with Typheron for the most part, they would have most types of weapons available to them for use in certain situations, but they would have a favorite weapons loadout, for use in most scenarios.

Thousandth Son
10-05-2005, 01:29
I think Sanguinius had either the Spear of Talesto, or Blade Encarmine, I am not sure, because I have heard both.

Angron had a huge Rune Sword

and I think Russ had a Frost Axe, the name of which escapes me.

Sons of Russ
10-05-2005, 06:24
Lysander carries the 'Fist of Dorn"

not sure if the primarch actually used it.

But it would've been cool if he had something called the Pain Glove that was later named for something else the Imperial Fists partake in!

boogle
10-05-2005, 10:36
i'm sure Russes' axe is called Mjolnir

TheSonOfAbbadon
10-05-2005, 21:17
Yeah, which is stolen from Norse myhology, it was the name of Thor's mighty hammer.

grey_painter
20-05-2005, 19:27
I would guess that all the primarchs have a whole pile of neat war gear lying arround that they would pick from depending on how they felt. More than likely they had favorite stuff in said large pile (and in the case of Russ, ill bet it really was just a pig pile in one corner of the armoury) which could be considered there signature equipment such as the talon(s) of horus.

Leman Russ: Ah, I see we are facing a deep infestation of orks.
Serf: Shall you be wanting your 3 Iron Sir?
Russ: No, best make it my driver. FOUR . . . . . The Emperor

Xisor
21-05-2005, 10:28
Vulkan, Salamanders Primarch:

Whilst still on Nocturne, he wielded two Blacksmiths Hammers against the Dark Eldar, and kicked a*se!

During the Crusade, Heresy and post-Heresy, Chaplain Xaviers fluff tells us of the Chapter Relic 'The Sigil of Vulkan', a Hammer once wielded by the Primarch.

Presumably then he would simply have wielded a bad-ass handcrafted super-thunderhammer...

Xisor

venusianfurs
21-05-2005, 12:41
Sources, or links, people, please!
Magnus the Red was modelled with a mace/sceptre, Fulgrim with three arms, not six, if I recall rightly, two scimitars and a whip.
Does anybody know what the Emperor himself carried?
Plus Lorgar and Perturabo?

Eldacar
21-05-2005, 13:12
The Emperor had a super-master-crafted Power Fist/Lightning Claw, and a Rune Sword, IIRC.

TheSonOfAbbadon
21-05-2005, 14:05
Vulkan, Salamanders Primarch:

Whilst still on Nocturne, he wielded two Blacksmiths Hammers against the Dark Eldar, and kicked a*se!

During the Crusade, Heresy and post-Heresy, Chaplain Xaviers fluff tells us of the Chapter Relic 'The Sigil of Vulkan', a Hammer once wielded by the Primarch.

Presumably then he would simply have wielded a bad-ass handcrafted super-thunderhammer...

Xisor

Probably the same hammer he made in his challenge against the Emperor.

malika
22-05-2005, 16:06
Didnt the Soul Drinker carry this Spear of Dorn thing?

night_haunter
22-05-2005, 22:01
perturabo had the siege breaker it was a master crafted thunder hammer given to him by Horus

Kahadras
22-05-2005, 23:01
Russ had a bunch of different weapons. The fluff keep changing but I am sure he had a nice selection of frost blades and the Spear of Russ which was created by the people of Garm in honour of the Space Wolves freeing them from the clutches of the Thousand Sons (this appears in the Space Wolf series by William King)

Kahadras

absolon
22-05-2005, 23:06
Sanguinius and Dorn both had spears, which basically killed and enemy they were pointed at

Yorkiebar
24-05-2005, 10:19
Magnus had a big axe, but for the most part could probably defeat most opponents with his psychic powers instead.

Hey, here's a question: If the emperor was a great psychic force in the universe, along with the c'tan, hive mind and chaos gods, why was he so angry at the thousand sons for experimenting with psychic powers?

Kargos Bloodspit
24-05-2005, 10:40
Horus had a big mace.

Perturabo had a hammer I think.

Yes, Perturabo had a hammer called Forgebreaker, gifted to him by Horus.

The only reason why everyone thinks Horus had a big mace is because Adrian Smith gave him one in his duel with the Emperor picture. Im still of the firm belief that he had two Talons of Horus.

edit: didnt see the half a bazillion posts back there... i still belief there were two talons of horus so :p I suppose its just a matter of opinion

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-05-2005, 10:44
There's no proof that Horus had 2 talons, or a mace, but it is written that he had 1 talon of horus.

Perhaps he had a huge sword?

grey_painter
24-05-2005, 10:46
Magnus had a big axe, but for the most part could probably defeat most opponents with his psychic powers instead.

Hey, here's a question: If the emperor was a great psychic force in the universe, along with the c'tan, hive mind and chaos gods, why was he so angry at the thousand sons for experimenting with psychic powers?

Because the Thousand Sons were experimenting with the dark pyschic powers. Trying to directly tamper with the warp and using sorcery (sp?). The Emperor was worried about them becoming to complacent and accidently realising a daemon thinking that they can control it.

boogle
24-05-2005, 15:17

also he may have been frightened of Magnus being as powerful as him and we don't know what secrets he was working on when he locked himself away in the bowels of the Imperial Palace, it may have been something that Magnus may have found out with his psychic powers