PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Ball (BB)

khabal
06-07-2009, 14:52
I know this is just another weird idea, but I had a bunch of skaven parts in my bitz box and I wanted to take on a more goofy project for a change. I've been slowly collecting BloodBowl teams, one after another, with the overall grand scheme of getting one of each one day (not quite there yet...)

So, after chaos, orcs and humans, I decided to go with skaven to use those spare parts. Now, I didn't really want to do any skaven team because I've painted enough skaven back in the days of Warhammer that I had just about enough of skaven fur and armour. Instead I started looking for inspiration from things I like, and Dragon Ball is right there towards the top.

Now, I realize these models are probably not going to make a very coherent group on the field, and they probably don't make any sense to anybody but me, but they seem like a fun project to take on, and that's all I'm asking of them :)

The first two models for the team were Goku and Tao Pai Pai. No surprise for Goku and modelling the spiky hair was kind of fun. As for Tao Pai Pai, he actually came more from the fact that the skaven bitz I have seemed to match the model really well (and I kind of like the older Dragon Ball villains better anyway).

Originally I went with the classic Tao Pai Pai but I needed some way to tie all the models together and I already had a saiyen 3 Goku. I decided to use all characters from the Buu era, and so converted the already converted Tao Pai Pai into cyborg mode to match the era better.

So, there, you have it: Dragon Ball meets Skaven meets BloodBowl. I'm not really sure where I'm going with that but it should be fun. Hope you guys like this thread!

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/goku.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/taopaipai.jpg

mdiscala
07-07-2009, 04:55
Me and my buddies from highschool football used to say we were going super sayan before we hit our blocks. KAMEHAMEHA!

khabal
07-07-2009, 21:10
mdiscala, that's awesome! Did it work for you? :)

Alright, this is what I think the team is going to look like... or rather, that will be the roster, we already established the team is going to look weird :)

Thrower (x1): Goku
Gutter Runners (x4): Piccolo, Hercules, Buu, Saiyaman (all wearing capes)
Blitzers (x2): Vegeta and Trunks (both wearing saiyan armor from the Cell era)
Rat ogre (x1): Broly (the big version :D)
Linerats (x5): Tao Pai Pai, Master Roshi, Gotenks and I need two more...

Do you guys have suggestions for which characters would make good linerats?

I can also move some characters around if some characters fit better as other players.

rob_alderman
07-07-2009, 23:42
o...kay.

I just played Yank Football like any other game! No odd chants or anything.
Though, rugby is better anyway.

Great to see more BB teams, very creative but definately not my thing!

Vampiric16
08-07-2009, 15:50
chiautzu, krillen, tien and yamcha, could make good linesmen. I think this idea would be better for a human team though...

DarthDoubleMarth
08-07-2009, 19:03
Lol Buu with a cape as in fat buu for a gutter runner? that's awesome. I'd go with Krillen and Tenshinhan for the linerats, as they have easily identifiable features. I love the ssj3 Goku thrower. Watch Mr. Satan become your best character.

khabal
08-07-2009, 19:54
Thanks guys! Good ideas all...

I'm converting Tien and fat Buu right now, both will be gutter runners (the cape stuff... and yes, Tien had a cape on his last apparition in the manga).

I also have a 2nd thrower with the standard orange kimono, I'm still hesitating between Yamcha and Krilin though, will be thinking about it some more when I convert the other ones.

DarthDoubleMarth
08-07-2009, 20:05
Yamcha would be an awesome thrower! Not only was he a baseball player, but he also has that move where he controls that ball. (Sokidan I think it's called?)

khabal
09-07-2009, 00:04
Exactly what I was thinking about... and the hair has already been sculpted, so Yamcha it is :)

Gekiganger
09-07-2009, 00:15
I feel compelled to try and get Nappa in there, god i love nappa, but if your going for the later era then it might not fit so well.

khabal
09-07-2009, 02:12
Ah yeah... I originally had Nappa and Raditz in there for stormvermins (because of the sayian armour) but I couldn't get these guys to match with the other characters. Though a full team in sayian armour would be fun, including characters from the Ginyu team as well. That would actually be easier to get all the characters to fit together :) Hmm, maybe an idea to look into for another project...

khabal
09-07-2009, 22:04
No image update right now but I've finished the first pass conversion on all characters. I'm hard at work on the basecoat to get a sense of what more I need to do on the conversions to get them to work right.

The main issue right now is nailing down the color scheme so that all characters feel part of the same team. Just found the reference for Tien-Shin-Han Buu era, and I'm thrilled that he's wearing a blue kimono because it was going to be very difficult fitting a green kimono with all the other characters (also need to figure out how to handle Piccolo's face).

I should have an image update either later today or some time tomorrow...

DarthDoubleMarth
09-07-2009, 22:40
If you make any of your linerats into Krillen, you should find a way to make him into a hairless rat. Bald Krillen is the best Krillen.

khabal
10-07-2009, 01:13
No Krilin on the roster because it's too difficult to make a rat without a nose :D

As for bald rats, I got Master Roshi and Tien, thought Tien is kind of cheating... You'll see when they're done, made some progress tonight but not enough to take pictures quite yet. Then again, the night is young, planning on painting some more.

Totally agree that bald Krilin is the best Krilin! If I make another DBZ themed project, it will have to be from the Freeza era, that will give me both Nappa and bald Krilin :)

khabal
10-07-2009, 01:54
Actually, just realized I still have pictures from earlier in the week... Not the absolute latest, but it's still progress compared to the first post.

Hercules in the green stuff phase. On the painting side, he's one of the biggest departures from the cartoon because there's simply no brown whatsoever in the other characters, so I have to choose between blue/purple or orange. Right now I have him in a purple kimono but I may switch him to orange or black instead... I don't really like the result with purple.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/hercule3.jpg

Early color test for Gotenks. I've changed quite a few things on him since, to match the team color. In particular, he's turned super saiyan with the latest color scheme.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0907.jpg

Ok, so that's version 1 of Piccolo, and to be quite frank, he sucks... I don't know why but he makes me think of a crazy irish guy :) Must be the green beard. I also tried painting his skin green but that was even worse. At any rate, I'm re-painting him with black or brown fur and added some more green-stuff to compensate.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0910.jpg

I promise the next post will show thinks I like and not things that blow :)

DarthDoubleMarth
10-07-2009, 04:12
that Gotenks is looking cool, the vest came out great. Piccolo isn't that bad, I think his clothes look pretty much spot on. Mr. Satan looks hilarious. I'd go for a dark blue kimono, and his cape will cover a good amount of it anyways.

khabal
10-07-2009, 14:52
A lot of things to update today, so here goes...

We'll start with the finished Piccolo since that's the one I'm the least happy about. Obviously the base is not finished but the rest of the model is done for now.

I knew going into the army that Piccolo was going to be a challenge because a lot of what makes him recognizable is his skin color, and a green skaven simply doesn't make any sense. The muzzle band was my attempt at adding some green into the model and it looks about what you expect: silly :) I may go back and paint it blue or orange after I'm done with the other models but for now that's what it is.

The little discs on the arms serve two purposes. One they are hiding the color of the arms (which are not green as explained above) and second, they allow me to put more orange on the model, which is one of the dominant colors of the team. I added some weathering to them to make them look like light armor.

As I said above, I'm a little disappointed in how Piccolo turned out, but it's not entirely unexpected. I'll finish the rest of the team and take a look on the BloodBowl field to see if I need to do any more with that model.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0898.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:00
Next up, is the finished Tao Pai Pai, including a re-paint.

Before...
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0903.jpg

After...
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN08952.jpg

For the most part, the only change on this model is the use of colors to make him fit better with the rest of the team. Throughout the team I had to take some liberties to make sure that they all form a consistent whole on the field, and considering that they're all rats to begin with I think it's reasonable to take a little more creative license with the colors as well :)

I changed the kimono to orange to match the overall color of the team. I know this is different from the cartoon but I found an illustration in one of my art books where Tao Pai Pai is wearing an orange kimono, so I feel like I'm not cheating too much. I lost some details on the kimono but that's ok, I'll either add it back at the very end of the project or keep it simple if it looks better with all the other models around it (I don't want some models to be super detailed and others to be too simple in comparison)

The second change was to re-paint the hands since I realize that cyborg Tao Pai Pai had cyborg hands as well and I completely missed that the first time around. Making the hands darker helps drawing the attention to the face instead of the hands, which is a nice bonus.

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:08
Hercules got a little further as well. Added the cape (needs to smooth the joins a bit more) and a green stuff wrestling belt since I switched him from lineman to gutter runner.

What took most of the time with him was the color for the kimono. He went from scorched brown (best but doesn't fit with the rest of the team), to ultramarine blue/purple ink (simply doesn't work), to orange (ok). I need to darken the orange using inks and washes and shade it, but I'll stick with this color moving forward. I don't have any other color on the model to tie him up with the rest of the team and orange is a light brown (kindof sorta) I think that once the rest of the model is painted it won't be too much of an issue.

I'm really glad I switched him to be a gutter runner. I think that will be a lot of fun once I get him on the BloodBowl field (of all the runners he's the one who best fits the AV7) And as DarthDoubleMarth said, he's probably going to be the one raking up the most SPPs in the games :)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09002.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:11
Last update for the models you already saw, and then we're on to the brand new ones.

Not much to say about Gotenks aside from the obvious switch to super saiyan. The rest are minor changes like adding some more hair with green stuff and doing a few minor color swaps to make the model closer to the source material and fit with the rest of the team. Almost done with that guy, just need to finish the painting.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09012.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:16
And now, some new stuff :)

The stormvermin positions belong to Vegeta and Future Trunks, since young Trunks is already accounted for with Gotenks (time travel is a wonderful excuse) These two models are fairly simple conversions with a little bit of green-stuff work for the hair. Both super saiyan, as they'll need the extra juice to take down the opponents on the field (dauntless, here I come)

I beefed up Vegeta some with greenstuff and I need to smooth this out if I can't hide my terrible greenstuff skills with the paint job. I'll make the decision after I get a little more paint on him first.

Simple conversions but they work (I think :))

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09022.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09032.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:27
Continuing with the remaining gutter runners, the ones with capes.

For starters, we have Great Saiyaman! I probably would have gone with Gohan in the orange kimono instead if I didn't need characters with cape that badly, but Saiyaman is still fun to make so that's ok. I don't have the arms to make him take one of the more goofy poses, but all things considered that'll probably make it easier to paint. The greenstuff helmet turned out ok, and I finally found something to use these spare night goblins arrows on :) The green outfit was causing me some worries earlier because I don't really have anything else that's green in the team (yeah, you know, what with the guy that ought to be green not being green and all) but I reckon that most of that will be hidden by the arms and the cape anyway. By the way, I'll make the cape orange instead of red to fit the overall team color scheme (you get the idea).
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09072.jpg

As for Buu, he's the second character in the army that got me a little worried when I started. Going from a puffy pink baby-faced marshmallow man wearing diapers and a purple cape to a skaven gutter runner is a bit of a stretch. The first version ended up looking like a really messed up smurf.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0892.jpg

Fortunately, I found the perfect replacement for the antenna using a horn from the beastman sprue. Add to that a little more greenstuff around the belly and a little bit of color and you get a skaven that looks pretty weird but more in character. The main question with him is how to paint him so he'll fit with the ultramarine and orange color scheme... the cape should provide the base for the blue (I know it's supposed to be purple but ultramarine blue should be close enough). I'm not sure if using orange instead of pink will work though... we'll see.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09052.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:30
To pass the ball to the gutter runners, we need a good thrower. I already have Goku which should be perfectly fine, but I had enough parts for one more so I made Yamcha (thanks everybody for the suggestions)

Not much to report there, he's basically a stock skaven with greenstuff hair. That's what Yamcha would look like if he was wearing the orange kimono with his Buu era haircut... and he was a rat. The tricky part will be to get the hands positioned correctly to look like he's using the Sokidan technique (or close enough at the very least). Even if that doesn't work I think I'll still have a pretty good Yamcha model for the team.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09042.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:39
Last but not least, we got the men... I mean the rats of the line.

We start with Master Roshi. I kind of feel bad to have him stand on the line and get beaten to a pulp by black orcs and stuff, but he's a fun conversion and he can surely take a beating (if all else fails, the coach can always wish him back to life using the Dragon Balls :)) He's actually one of the early test models I made a while back, haven't got back to him since because he's pretty much proven at this point and I needed to make sure I could get the other ones done (like that #$%* Piccolo)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09062.jpg

Looking for more goofy characters for black orcs to take down, I went with Kibitoshin (the fusion of Kaiyoshin and Kibito) for my next lineman. The conversion was relatively simple with greenstuff for the hair and to extend the uniform and the color scheme is really close to what I need for team colors (orange on blue).
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09082.jpg

And finally, TienShinHan completes the line-up. This model is very early in the process and I expect that a few things are going to change with him before he's done. For starters, I really don't like the head. Originally I was thinking about painting his 3rd eye on a headband and, while I still like that idea, the mask is covering too much of the face and I won't find a color that will make that look like skin... I think this will be too much of a stretch to make him look like Tien. I think I'll probably end up giving him a real 3rd eye but I haven't made up my mind yet. I also need to paint a lot more of the model to get a good sense of how he's working out. One thing that I'm really happy about though is that in the cartoon he's wearing a blue outfit, because I was really starting to get worried about how to fit a green outfit in there :)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09092.jpg

khabal
10-07-2009, 15:46
Alrighty, that's it for the update today (pfew :)) Hope you guys like it.
I'd love to hear any feedback you guys may have and any suggestions for things to improve on the characters (in particular Tien).

Astraeos
10-07-2009, 18:39
Dragonball Z and Skaven? One of my favourite manga and one of my favourite Warhammer races together at last!

I think Kuririn should be in there somewhere, it'd be a shame to have the DBZ cast minus Goku's best friend!

They're looking good so far, and it's funny seeing how the skaven versions of the cast end up!

khabal
10-07-2009, 19:24
Astraeos, glad you like these guys :)
Any suggestions on what to make of Krilin? I have a few spare legs so I may be able to make another linerat but bald Krilin needs the orange kimono and that's for throwers... Can anybody think of an alternative Krilin outfit that would work? The only one I can think of is Buu era Krilin and it may be tricky to make him look like himself.

Gekiganger
10-07-2009, 21:18
There's always the saiyan armour he wears on Namek, it was blue although doesn't really fit the kimono theme.

His 'alternate' outfit in the Burst Limit game was a dark blue version of the regular orange outfit though - not perfect but might work.

In regards to tien, the hat from the attached picture looks reletively simple to greenstuff on, could be used to cover the area the eye would be or it could have the eye on the front of the hat? Just throwing ideas around.

DarthDoubleMarth
11-07-2009, 01:27
Sick looking Vegeta, he's my favorite character ever. I also really like the Master Roshi. I'd go ahead and give Tenshinhan a real third eye, skaven are known for their mutations after all. Make Krillin a cheerleader, that's really all he was in the later half of Dragonball anyways.

khabal
12-07-2009, 16:04
Quick update, Gotenks and Hercules almost finished.

There are a couple of touch-ups I need to make on Gotenks (in particular just noticed a blue streak on his left thumb that I hadn't seen before) The picture is a little dark, I will get a better one later today (hopefully when I'm done with a couple more models)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09122.jpg

I'm still debating if I like the orange kimono or not for Hercules. It's the team color but it just looks weird to me... I'm most likely going back to scorched brown for that model, it may not be as consistent with the rest of the team as I'd like but it'll probably look better. Thoughts?
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN09142.jpg

And that's a team shot with all the models in their current state (not including Broly as I need to pick up a box of ogre bulls and a spare rat ogre head)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0911.jpg

I'm going to try finishing Vegeta and Trunks today if I can resist the temptation of playing BloodBowl on the computer :)

khabal
12-07-2009, 18:48
I played around with the pictures in PaintShop to try a re-color of a couple of the models...

Piccolo (bottom=original, top=recolor) The idea is to treat the arms as sleeves and add more of the face mask to get more green on the model. I may also try to add green to the hands (gloves), but not sure yet.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/test-Piccolo.png

Hercules (left=original, right=recolor) Swapping the brown and orange so the kimono is the right color. I'm switching the orange to the wristbands to keep the team color somewhere on the model.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/test-hercules.png

What do you guys think?

DarthDoubleMarth
12-07-2009, 23:16
Team looks great all together. What you did with Mr. Satan was exactly what I was going to suggest, and it works well enough. I can't wait to see the massive Brolly.

khabal
13-07-2009, 01:28
As mentioned earlier, finished Vegeta and Trunks. The models look a little rough but keep in mind they're not supposed to be seen that close on the BloodBowl field :)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0915.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0921.jpg

Also managed to squeeze in the re-color of Hercules and Piccolo. Hercules feels much more natural and I'm actually pretty happy with Piccolo now, even without the extended mask on the face. I'll keep him like that for a little while longer to see if I change my mind, but at least I don't feel like he's a failure anymore.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0919.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0920.jpg

I now have seven finished players for the team and eight more to go (including Broly and Krilin). I also get back to work tomorrow so I expect that updates will slow down quite a bit. On the upside all the paints and models are out on my desk and they'll keep reminding me to finish the team :)

Gekiganger
13-07-2009, 02:40
Hercule looks infinitely better, piccolo I think should be left with the face mask as is, I'm not convinced that the 'fuller' mask looks that great. I think it's pretty obvious who's who without making it overkill.

khabal
14-07-2009, 23:51
Gekiganger, thanks! I'll probably keep Piccolo as is. It's not as much to make him more recognizable anymore as it is to make him look "better", but I kind of like him as is now.

A couple more updates for today. Two more linerats with Kibitoshin and Master Roshi, and one more thrower with Yamcha.

Not much to say about Kibitoshin except that he turned out better than I expected.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0934.jpg

Master Roshi was a fun conversion and I really like the pose. I think it's pretty close to the original character.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0924.jpg

Yamcha is a bit of a mixed bag (he doesn't look as purple by the way, that's just the picture) I do like the overall model but there's something a little off with this pose. I may rip out the arm tonight and try orienting it a little differently. Also need to do a little more highlighting, he looks a little flat.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0930.jpg

That's 10 down!

khabal
23-07-2009, 01:14
Did a little more work on Yamcha. I realized I had forgotten the scars from the Buu era (right eye and left cheek) so I went back with chaos black and snakebite leather and added these. I also went with one more coat of ultramarine blue to hide some the purple from the ink wash. It's pretty subtle but the character feels more at home with the rest of the team now. Finally added the logos on the front and back of the kimono to break the orange a little bit and make the character more recognizable. I didn't change the pose too much as I think the model looks fine when I'm not looking at it in still pictures :)

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0943.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0944.jpg

khabal
23-07-2009, 01:25
Plus three more additions to the team (or models you've seen before but nowhere near finished)

Starting with Great Saiyaman with the big helmet. I'm not really sure why the picture looks like this guy has been sitting on a shelf and building up dust for 10 years... looks like I need a better camera setup. He's one of the 4 gutter runners with capes.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0947.jpg

Next up is Buu the last of the 4 gutter runners (Piccolo, Hercules, Saiyaman and Buu). Up until the very end I wasn't sure if that model would work since Buu is so very different from other Dragon Ball characters. He looks like he's coming from a completely different world with the big yellow gloves, the pink baby face and the diaper type pants. All things considered I think that skaven could have ended much weirder than that... He still stands out a little bit from the rest of the crew but gutter runners are the star players in skaven teams, so that may not be too much of a problem.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0949.jpg

Finally, we have the last lineman Tien Shin Han with the big mutated 3rd eye. I painted the eye red originally but it really wasn't clear that was an eye. You need to know your Dragon Ball to recognize Tien since he wore this outfit for about 3 pages in the 42 volumes, but, that's what I get for choosing the Buu era.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0951.jpg

That's it for the "official" list of standard characters. I am looking at getting ogre bulls for cheap in addition to the rat ogre heads that I'm trading with a friend in Florida to make a Broly rat ogre for the team. I'll also get a Krilin model in there, probably as a lineman to alternate between him and Tien. I wasn't going to originally but you guys convinced me :)

khabal
23-07-2009, 01:28
And that's the team so far... note that after watching these guys on the board I decided to make Gotenks a thrower and Yamcha a lineman because the yellow hair reads much better than the kimono. I'll still get Yamcha the passing skill eventually, you know, for the sokidan and stuff... :)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0953.jpg

DarthDoubleMarth
25-07-2009, 02:07
Team looks really cool. Although I feel like a nerd for recognizing Tenshinhans outfit as the thing he was wearing when he kikoho'd Buu's blast away. A Skaven Dragonball Blood Bowl team sounds retarded on paper, but I think it came out great. Oh hey just noticed Tenshinhans in the Dodonpa firing pose, nice touch.

khabal
01-08-2009, 23:30
DarthDoubleMarth - Thanks :)

Very quick update for today, I got the first piece I need for Broly.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN0975.jpg

mdiscala
02-08-2009, 00:14
Looks good, everything is very recognizable. Cant wait to see Broly. Yeah going super saiyan always works when chasing linebackers by the way.

khabal
11-08-2009, 18:55
Super quick update, I finally got my hands on some ogre bulls on eBay (wee!) so within a week I should have the missing pieces for Broly. And no, I have not forgotten about Krilin, it just hasn't been at the top of the list since I was waiting on the pieces for Broly :)

khabal
15-08-2009, 12:59
And here are the beasties... unfortunately I didn't get the arm I was looking for, but that's not a big deal. On to assembly!
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1013.jpg

khabal
16-08-2009, 23:59
First pass sculpt for Broly to give an idea of where I am going with the different pieces. The green stuff isn't done yet, I am waiting for it to dry before building the second layer on top of it. The toothpicks for the hair actually worked out alright as the base for the hair structure, some green stuff will help to build up volume and fill in the gaps. I am pretty happy about the fur on the neck as well, will add some more on the back of the neck.

What do you guys think?

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1030.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1031.jpg

Karlon
17-08-2009, 01:47
Hellboy was neat but this... I dunno man. I think you are stretching it here.

DarthDoubleMarth
17-08-2009, 01:48
Kakarotto! How you gonna stop this dude from tearing Goku in half? Looks hilarious/awesome. I say Blood Bowl is wacky anyways, just go nuts with it. If this was a Dragonball Warhammer skaven army, I'd think it was retarded but I mean come on Blood Bowl has a God named Nuffle it's not supposed to be taken seriously.

khabal
17-08-2009, 17:44
Karlon - oh, no doubt that this team is stretching it pretty far! The team looks pretty ridiculous on the BloodBowl field but it's a fun modelling project to hone my skills before tackling more serious projects. I blame the idea on lack of sleep and DVDs :)

DarthDoubleMarth - thanks, I'm a big fan of BloodBowl's sense of humour. The BloodBowl novels were a great read and the commentaries in the videogame, while repetitive are pretty fun too. Like Karlon said, that's stretching it a bit far but it's a nice change of pace from previous more "serious" teams.

I'm thinking that I may do another pass on these guys (once Broly is done) to BloodBowl'ize the team a bit more and make it more coherent on the field. I lined them up against my chaos team this weekend and they look pretty... well... all over the place. I'm thinking spikes, more armour and some shuffling around characters (Tien with a cape? drop fat Buu for slim Buu? etc.) Need a couple more days to think this through, and need to finish toothpick head first :)

If you guys could rework the team some, either roster or visually, what would you do?

DarthDoubleMarth
18-08-2009, 01:35
I don't know visually it's kinda tough because Dragonball is such a bright world, while Warhammer, and Skaven especially tend to be more dark and gritty. I think you should just embrace the team for what it is: Skaven done up as Dragonball characters.

khabal
18-08-2009, 20:27
I am not necessarily trying to make the team more Skaven as much as I am trying to make it look more like a football team, if that makes any sense. I think it's pretty obvious that the characters are Skaven but they are not very coherent on the BloodBowl field, which makes it harder to use them as playing pieces.

I am thinking small modifications to make them look like they are the Dragon Ball characters, turned into rats, and participating in a BloodBowl game (man, that makes even less sense when I write it down :)) Things like player numbers on the models. The other thing that bugs me is the color scheme, some of the models are just completely out of range and I'm wondering if I can replace them with somebody else more appropriate.

I'm not convinced myself that it's going to work so I can very easily be swayed one way or another :) Keep the comments coming!

khabal
19-08-2009, 02:46
Starting on the basecoat for Broly to get an idea of the color scheme. The orange of the team color will be working just fine for the tabard.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1046.jpg

DarthDoubleMarth
19-08-2009, 03:21
For player numbers you could put a dragonball somewhere on the models with stars corresponding to their player number. Or just freehand a ball on the model.

khabal
20-08-2009, 02:17
DarthDoubleMarth - That's similar to what I have in mind, except the stars would be difficult for any player number above 5 at this scale. I'm thinking a stylized Dragon Ball similar to the logo on the back of Goku's kimono (Dragon Ball and early Dragon Ball Z) with the number in black in the center.

I am pretty happy with the tweaks I am making to the team, it looks a heck of a lot better on the field. Here is a breakdown of the changes:

Buu has to go, he was fun to convert but is just too weird to fit in. Besides, I want all the capes in the team to be of one color so they are easier to recognize on the field.
I am promoting Tien-Shin-Han to gutter runner and adding a cloak: he was wearing one in the manga/cartoon so he's still in character.
Saiyaman gets a white cape. I know that's not canon as his cape is red normally, but as I said above I need all the capes to be the same color. He actually doesn't look half bad with a white cape and is still recognizable.
Added shoulder pads to Piccolo's cape: that's the piece I had been missing all along. He looks an order of magnitude better with that (thank you Tyranid extra armour).
Yamcha is demoted to a linerat as all linerats share the same base color (orange). With so much orange on the team, the kimono wasn't enough to pick him out as a thrower.
Gotenks is now the replacement thrower. Both throwers are super saiyan 3 and are easily recognizable with the long blond hair. I'll also change the color scheme around just a bit to match the team secondary color better (blue).
Added a new linerat to replace Tien, I let you guess who that is :)

No pictures for tonight but I should have some tomorrow.

khabal
22-08-2009, 14:48
First in a series of updates... I finished Broly yesterday and just glued him to his base this morning. He's HUGE!
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1058.jpg

KAKAROOOT!!!!
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1069.jpg

khabal
22-08-2009, 14:51
Speaking of the few tweaks I mentioned, here are some of the end results.

TienShinHan joins the gutter runners and gets a white cloak. You can also see the number on his back, but that's more obvious on the next picture.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1080.jpg

Piccolo shows the player number on his cape and his new shoulder pads.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1070.jpg

Master Roshi and Kibitoshin both get the number treatment as well.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1079.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/Kibitoshinwithnumber.jpg

Gotenks transforms into Super Saiyan 3 to join Goku as a thrower.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1073.jpg

Starting to look more like a BloodBowl team.

khabal
22-08-2009, 14:56
Last addition to the roster (to replace Buu), Krilin!

The pictures are terrible, these guys are not meant to be seen at such close range (shows all the sloppy areas which are barely noticeable when looking at the model on the board).

Anyhow, he's a bit of a stretch since I had to go with long hair Krilin given the era I am using (come to think of it maybe I should have added a scar on Broly's chest to be absolutely accurate?) I cut the nose off the skaven head to try to get a different face and be closer to the original character, but it's hard to get rid of the snout entirely.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1075.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1077.jpg

khabal
22-08-2009, 15:00
Final update, the full team on the pitch! I may give these guys a shot in a game of BloodBowl whenever I can lure somebody into playing with me at home :)
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/cabal-art/Skaven%20Ball/DSCN1057.jpg

That's about it for this log, at least for the time being, as I am moving on to finishing other projects. In particular, I still need to clean up that stack of bitz boxes (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211762) and that's going to take a while.

Thanks to everybody who read and commented on the thread. You guys kept me going and it's much appreciated! Feel free to continue commenting and let me know what you think of how the team turned out.

dariakus
22-08-2009, 23:07
I like it. Absolutely crazy idea, and a difficult one to pull off, but I think it works about as well as anyone could make such an idea work :)

You've actually inspired me to tackle a Blood Bowl team at some point in the future. Gotta get these Salamanders finished up first though ;)

khabal
22-08-2009, 23:32
BloodBowl teams are a blast to assemble and paint and you only have to invest in a little more than a dozen models. Check out Rich's Blood Bowl log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167233) if you want more inspiration :)
Speaking of Salamanders, when are we seeing them on Warseer?

DarthDoubleMarth
23-08-2009, 01:37
Brolli looks great dude, also the team looks nice and coherent now so kudos to you for pulling that off. Oh yeah and great touch with the no nose on Krillin.

Astraeos
10-09-2009, 16:27
Y'know, I should've subscribed to this log a long time ago!

It's all looking good, as far as Skaven cosplaying as DBZ characters go. That Brolli is very intimidating and I'm glad to see Kuririn got in eventually. As a fan I feel he's quite an important character, even though he eventually became weak when compared to the later villains.

Now how about some cheerleaders? Perhaps Chi Chi, Bulma and maybe even Pu'ar? You could make a big Ox King using your Brolli method!
And just for the LOLs, make that Budokai announcer! Oolong could be the team's towel boy!

Gah, I'm getting carried away again!

khabal
10-09-2009, 16:45
I was actually thinking about converting Buu into a cheerleader considering he's already mostly done and he's looking kind of angry for being left in the background of the team picture :) Besides, I could add the fluffy things cheerleaders use (whatever that's called) to the big yellow gloves and hide that a bit.
I have a few more skaven spare parts that I could use for cheerleaders. I'm really not sure how Bulma or Chi Chi would look as ratwomen but, hey, it's worth a shot. Though I'd have to go with Android 18, I just can't skip 18, she's got to be in there...
Little bit of trivia: Master Roshi was originally supposed to be the team's coach.
Darnit, Astraeos, now you make me want to re-open that project ;)

Astraeos
10-09-2009, 21:45
Sorry!

Seeing Android 18 would be cool. And considering Fat Buu's personality he'd probably work better as a cheerleader anyway.
Master Roshi would probably have fitted better as a coach now you mention it. A while back when I was thinking of making Cheerleaders for my own Skaven, straight out of the box metal figs with the original Boneripper as a Rat Ogre, funny thing was his base had flagstones carved onto it for Warhammer Quest!

I was looking at the Night Runners and thinking of using the legs with a lot of robe hanging from them and using the female torso from the Dark Elves boxed set with the locks of hair from the Ogre Bulls box! I would've gone with batons made from cut down spears instead of pompoms as I have zero skill (and experience) with Green Stuff.
I suppose any female torso you could get hold of could work as long it doesn't look too odd on the waist.

khabal
11-09-2009, 00:00
No need to be sorry, re-opening an old project is not necessarily a bad thing ;)
The female torsos from the Dark Elves is a good idea as the skaven torsos are pretty large. I don't have any of them on hand though so I'll have to look for something similar.

Astraeos
11-09-2009, 19:07
Any ideas on that? I think the Eldar and Dark Eldar boxes might have female torsos, but I don't know for sure.