PDA

View Full Version : High Elves 2250pts, Tournament list

MEanBOb12
06-07-2009, 16:25
I have been on a year hiatus in fantasy and want to get some games in over the summer. I have a sizable HE collection and I wanted to bring them to a tourney. I have some warm up games planned for before then (tomorrow against orcs).

High Elves, Tournament List……………………………..2250pts

Lords

Archmage (Hiding in one of the Infantry blocks)
Level 4 Wizard
Dispel Scroll
Anullian Crystal
Silver Wand
The Seer Staff of Saphery
360pts

Heroes

Noble (Stuck in with one of the spearmen)
Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Great Weapon
Heavy Armor
Shield
144pts

Core

21x Spearmen
Standard
Musician
204pts

21x Spearmen
Standard
Musician
204pts

10x Archers
Musician
115pts

10x Archers
Musician
115pts

Special

14x White Lions (should I split this into two units of 7? It may leave me some points for another eagle)
Full Command
Gem of Courage
250pts

5x Ellyrian Reavers
Bow
Spear
Musician
117pts

Lion Chariot of Chrace
140pts

20x Phoenix Guard
Full Command
Banner of Ellyrion
345pts

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Great Eagle
50pts

7 Power Dice, 6 Dispel Dice, 1 Scroll

As you can see my army is infantry based with a good mix of core and special choices. I'll wittle down the enemy with my shooting and magic and then hopefully get off some combined charges when I come to grips with my enemy. Reavers and Eagle are self explanatory. I'll probably go for high magic against most enemies since that 5+ ward is just too good to pass up, especially with the fragile HE infantry.

wamphyri101
06-07-2009, 18:22
Firstly you can only have 1 arcane item and a scroll/stone not 3. So you’re going to have to pick 2 your going to drop. You also need the banner of sorcery if you plan using magic for those extra d3 power dice.

Your hero is ok but I would probably ditch the shield as A: he will be in a unit and B: since your using a great weapon it isn’t worth it. Stick him with the white lions as they really need the punch

In a 2250 game you should take 3+ min characters as your enemy will probably max out on 4. You wont get any magic off with your AM with just him and the radiant gem. Maybe ditch the lion chariot and take another mage or even a standard noble with DA/GW and stick him in a unit for extra combat

The core units are fine. Remember 1 core can take a 25pt magic banner so maybe worth having 1 with the war banner

White lions are good but I would give them the banner of the lion and take 2 ranks off 7 +. A bsb/noble would really help this unit

Phoenix guard would benefit something also. Maybe armour of Calador for your champion to protect the AM?

WhiteKnight
06-07-2009, 19:11
Yeah, 1 archmage and a level 1 won't do anything in a tournament list. The rule of thumb is go full on mages or a scroll caddy. This only applies to 2k-2250 tourney lists though. First off, those archers don't need a musician. But if you must, you must. Drop the reavers and the chariot for a block of 20 more elite infantry or maybe even more spearmen. Add a block of 25 spearmen and then you can get an eagle, then you'll have about 107 points to use. That allows you to get an eagle and then you can drop a musician on one of the archer units so you can add 4 more white lions.

Also consider getting a BSB. They work EXTREMELY well for static combat result.

MEanBOb12
07-07-2009, 03:33
Thanks for your feedback guys. Taking some of your suggestions...

Lords

Archmage
Level 4 Wizard
The Seer Staff of Saphery
300pts

Heroes

Noble
Ring of Fury
Heavy Armor
Great Weapon
137pts

Mage
Level 2 Wizard
2x Dispel Scrolls
175pts

Core

25x Spearmen (Mage goes here)
Full Command
War Banner
270pts

10x Archers
110pts

10x Archers
110pts

Special

14x White Lions (Noble goes here)
Full Command
Lion Standard
265pts

5x Ellyrian Reavers
Bow
100pts

5x Silver Helms (Flankers)
Shields
115pts

20x Phoenix Guard (Archmage goes here)
Full Command
Banner of Ellyrion
Armor of Caledor
370pts

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Great Eagle
50pts

Great Eagle
50pts

If I were to field the white lions as two smaller units, should i still get the lion banner? Or command in general? Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

Gramolarian
07-07-2009, 06:16
silverhelms and ellyrion reavers are both useless in new HE book, so get rid off them both and take additional unit of Dragon Princes. Also banner of ellyrion is useless in slow moving troops cause you still won΄t want to go to the woods even if you could move there in normal speed. one archer unit is useless ... you only need 2 core choises with helves and I recommend you to take full advantage from it. If you need Flank protection I recommend you to take 1 or 2 units of 6 swordmasters without any command 90 points 12 attacks ASF WS 6 thats a fair trade if you ask me. if you wanna get points drop 6 phoenix guard and take SM with those points

grhino
07-07-2009, 07:22
I actually throught the list was not that bad. Depends on how you like to play... and I'd always make units of HE's 6 wide nowadays to take full advantage of ASF. The 6 Swordmasters may be a good idea through...

Don't think Reavers and Helms are useless now... they are still some of the fastest cav. in the game, which gives you the edge against other cav. Also, any armoured knight with a lance will do great in a flanking charge!

Gargamel196
08-07-2009, 17:14
Aye the list works, but I have a few comments:

Characters

You dont need seer on the AM. Give him the silver wand and youve got 5/6 spells. Thats a big chance to get the spells you really want.

Noble is great, but give him Dragon Armour.

Give the mage seer and give the AM the other dispel scroll in exchange.

Also consider giving the AM the ring of Fury and give the noble the radiant gem of Hoeth. That will give you lots of magic power. IF you dont like that try giving the noble the armour of caledor instead of the champ.

But, in all cases you must have the banner of sorcery if you wish to go magic heavy.

Troops:

Core is good!

Lions work well, and the reavers are good enough IMO, but dont go with silver helms, they are just not worth it compared to other choices.

Youre phoenix guard unit, as mentioned, dont need the banner of ellyrion as they are to slow. They should have the banner of sorcery. And the armour of caledor isnt really useful on the champ, because it doesnt matter much if he dies.

Great list btw! Good luck

MEanBOb12
09-07-2009, 16:25

Lords

Archmage
Level 4 Wizard
Silver Wand
280pts

Heroes

Noble
Ring of Fury
Heavy Armor
Great Weapon
137pts

Mage
Level 2 Wizard
2x Dispel Scrolls
175pts

Core

25x Spearmen
Musician
Champion
Standard
War Banner
270pts

10x Archers
110pts

10x Archers
110pts

Special

14x White Lions
Full Command
Lion Standard
265pts

5x Ellyrian Reavers
Bow
Musician
107pts

5x Silver Helms
Shields
115pts

20x Phoenix Guard
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery
380pts

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

Great Eagle
50pts

Great Eagle
50pts

Taking some more suggestions...

I'm going to keep the silver helms because I am in serious need of a flanked unit on my main battle line, or at least a unit to chase down some light infantry.