PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos Starter Army - Advice Needed Please

TheCiscoKid
07-07-2009, 15:38
Greetings!

I'd like to give Warhammer Fantasy a try and would like to start out with a small 500-1000pt Warriors of Chaos Army. I'd like to go the mounted route. My apologies, but I do not have the Codex yet, but will be getting it shortly.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what I should acquire for a starter army, preferably mounted? I'd love to have a mounted Lord, lots of Chaos Knights and perhaps some Chosen. Marks etc..? I'm just not familiar with Fantasy at all and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tokamak
07-07-2009, 15:46
If you want to stick with mounted then don't buy the battalion.

You're best off buying a few boxes of marauder horsemen, at least two for your core choices in a 1k point game (you'll need four of these sets in a 2k army, and even that's on the small side). And a few boxes of chaos knights.

Both these sets are truly great models and relatively cheap price/point wise, so it's a good way to start.

Then have a few games with these before you decide what you want to do with your character, which you can either mount on a daemonic steed or a normal horse.

pcgamer72
07-07-2009, 15:47
Welcome to Fantasy! I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

In regard to what you are looking for, I would suggest picking up a couple boxes of Marauder Horsemen, a box of Knights, and a box or two of Marauders or Warriors. Once you add in an Exalted Hero on a steed, you will have a nice army to build around and most of it will be mounted.

TheCiscoKid
07-07-2009, 16:06
Great thanks for teh advice!

Are the Warriors of Chaos a good army/fun army to start out with? I choose them based on how cool the models looked hehe.

ICLRK625
07-07-2009, 16:20
Great thanks for teh advice!

Are the Warriors of Chaos a good army/fun army to start out with? I choose them based on how cool the models looked hehe.

They are and they aren't.

Warriors of Chaos are kind of exceptional at everything they can do, but there's certain things they never deal with,so you're not going to be familiar with them. Of course, if you play with a varied enough group, you'll come across everything eventually, so it's not a huge deal.

They are a fun army though, very straight forward.

Azethel
08-07-2009, 04:37
The new chaos knights and marauder horsemen are great kits with lots of extra bits.

I second the other posters in recommending you buy yourself 2 boxes of marauder horsemen and a box of chaos knights. If you get yourself a box of marauders on foot you can then replace all the crappy looking heads with the spares you get in the horsemen box (a pretty regular kit bash) and swap some of the weapons too. Marauders on foot come in units of 16 so I would also suggest buying a 50mm base and converting up a diorama to use as a unit filler (bringing the unit up to 20). Chaos hounds are also invauable and a box of 10 is a good investment. (These guys are used to shield your units from missile fire and redirect chargers).

As for characters there is a plethora of both old collectors characters and newer characters to use as exalted champs/sorcerors etc. Another option is to buy a second unit of knights and use one to bump your other unit to 6 and then use the remaining 4 as the basis for character conversions using all the bits you gain from the other kits you have.

All mounted forces can be powerful especially when marked khorne and spamming multiple units of knights and backing it up with a dragon lord...though I would advise against this as games tend to be less fun IMO. This is normally due to games consisting of you moving units straight forward untill you hit combat and then rolling dice to see if you decimate your opponent. Balanced armies are the way to go. :)

Hope this helps and a quick search of these forums in the tactica section and the painting logs should give you loads of other useful hits.

The Red Scourge
08-07-2009, 13:25
Get the hero on jugger. Its a beautiful model, it will tear through your enemies with easy, and it sooo WoC :)

IkuTurso
08-07-2009, 16:10
I also suggest hero on jugger + 5 knights, 10 warhounds (2x5) and marauder horsemen,and then maybe some infantry, unless you want to go full mounted.

grhino
10-07-2009, 11:18
The hero on a jugger is great. It's one of the best models in the GW range, bit pricy but so is everything these days. I built it using a flail from the flaggelants frame by cutting off the axe and drilling a hole into his hand to hold the flail. Picture will be in my blog shortly. The flail is cheap (only 4 points) while making him a terrifying foe on the first round of combat at S7... S5 for next rounds is still neat! And you'll have a whopping 5 attacks, which could increase because of the Eye of the Gods! No need for expensive magic weapons and you can give him the Collasr of Khorne to give the Knight unit he's in some much needed magical protection! Having a Warshrine to support the unit works great as well! This nasty thing is a b*tch to take out and a great unit to protect your flank! Having a BSB works as well, so consider making the Jugger hero a BSB with flail! Great unit combo!

NakedBarbarian
10-07-2009, 11:34
I would suggest
3x Marauder horsemen
2x Chaos Knights
2x Chaos Hounds
1x Lord on disk
1x hero on chariot
1x hero on chaos steed