PDA

View Full Version : Ball dropping

Hulk54
07-07-2009, 15:57
Warhammer is my favorite game, bar none. I enjoy the fluff, the gameplay, the community, etc... However, speaking of community, does it feel like GW is letting the Fantasy players down? So many speacial events and coverage for 40k in recent months, but fantasy gets no "events" to speak of, even the wildly popular campaign style summer events which brought in revenue have not been heard from in quite a while. It seems the only exceitement happens when a new army book is released, which is now far more sparing than our sci-fi counterpart. Does anyone have any theories as to why Fantasy seems to be off the radar for promotion/events/cool stuff?

Volker the Mad Fiddler
07-07-2009, 16:26
Just a guess, but 40k probably makes more money because it is easier- simpler rules, less models to buy and paint, more explosions means more public appeal than the more thoughtful methodical game that fantasy is. GW is a business so they go where the money is.

Condottiere
07-07-2009, 16:35
Rumour has it 2010 will be Fantasy's year. Though if BRB8 is 2011, that seems premature.

pointyteeth
07-07-2009, 16:43
It seems to go in waves. 40K will be the star for a year or two, then Fantasy comes to the front for a year or two. I do agree though, 40K does seem to be getting an awful amount of lovin' lately though

Griefbringer
07-07-2009, 16:46
even the wildly popular campaign style summer events which brought in revenue have not been heard from in quite a while

Well, there still tends to be rather mixed feelings about the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Nuada
07-07-2009, 16:48
Though if BRB8 is 2011, that seems premature.

It is 2010 ... and won't be orcs as one of the two armies for a change :)

Dag
07-07-2009, 18:12

blasphemy!

Voss
07-07-2009, 19:54

Hmmm.
3rd and below: no box set
4th High elves vs Goblins
5th: Brets and Lizards
6th: Empire and Orcs
7th: Dwarfs and Goblins

1 box set had orcs. How is this a change?

DDogwood
07-07-2009, 21:52
Hmmm.
3rd and below: no box set
4th High elves vs Goblins
5th: Brets and Lizards
6th: Empire and Orcs
7th: Dwarfs and Goblins

1 box set had orcs. How is this a change?

Um, 3 of the 4 had Orcs or Goblins, which are part of the same army... and Lizards were brand-new for 5th, and the combination of big strong guys and little fast guys seemed very orc-and-goblin-y to most people on release.

But back on topic, it's gone that way as long as I've been involved with GW games, which is around 15 years. The rotation seems to alternate between focusing almost entirely on 40k, giving even coverage to 40k and WFB, and giving even coverage to 40k, WFB, and one other game (it used to be the most recent "other" game, and more recently it's been LotR)

Fenlear
07-07-2009, 22:19
There's only so much you can do in the realm of fantasy wargaming and most of it has been going toward LotR. GW doesn't have a second sci-fi wargame so 40K gets everything in that atmosphere.

Damocles8
07-07-2009, 22:56
wow and here's me thinking this was about a 40k player converting to fantasy.......I'd love to see more lovin for Fantasy....especially my Bretonnians.....

AFnord
07-07-2009, 23:19
I won't totally disagree with you, 40k has gotten more coverage as of late, although as others have states, it comes in waves. Soon fantasy will be the "big thing" again.

I have to disagree with one part tough

It seems the only exceitement happens when a new army book is released, which is now far more sparing than our sci-fi counterpart.
This is not true. 40k has gotten two army books released for the current edition: Space marines & imps. I don't know how many fantasy has got during that time (I was more into 40k for a while there), but I know that LM & WoC was released during this period.

Damocles8
07-07-2009, 23:37
This is not true. 40k has gotten two army books released for the current edition: Space marines & imps. I don't know how many fantasy has got during that time (I was more into 40k for a while there), but I know that LM & WoC was released during this period.

You forgot Dark Elves....

zan77
07-07-2009, 23:38
I would like fantasy to get a little more attention instead of being left behind.

AFnord
07-07-2009, 23:42
I told you that I did not know what army books were released during that time, so using that logic, how could i forget something that I did not know :P
Alright, I did actually know about it, it just slipped my mind. But those are silly pointy ears, they hardly count, right? ;)

Grimstonefire
08-07-2009, 00:06
To be honest I suspect that they are just following the money. Even 40k is not represented evenly overall, it's mainly space marines, orks and imperial guard. So this would support the theory that they follow the money.

The thing I find odd is that if they supported WHFB better with expansions it might actually sell better? I've been reading about rumoured expansions for at least 4 years now, and nothing ever seems to happen.

Maybe for some reason the designers think that 7th ed is not suitable for expansions? Random theory certainly, but possible?

They seem to be dropping anything that does not directly lead to big profit (tournies, campaigns etc), so maybe warhammer expansions just fall into that category?

I remember really looking forwards to buying 5th ed army set. How many years ago was that?

Erie Ed
08-07-2009, 01:50
It's obvious that GW is trying to kill fantasy

Condottiere
08-07-2009, 07:23
GW won't kill anything that requires minimum resources and still makes net profit.

Fenrir
08-07-2009, 08:49
Rumour has it 2010 will be Fantasy's year. Though if BRB8 is 2011, that seems premature.

A lot of people were saying that about 2009.

Nuada
08-07-2009, 11:30
Maybe it's just me, but i'm not concerned about the lack of releases for warhammer at all. I have my O&G army, my friends have their armies. I don't need constant advertising or new releases. If we want to do a scenario we write one, if we want to do a siege we use siege and conquest rules. I used to do alot of RP games, for that all you need is the basic rule book.

I guess it is the power of advertising. I remember in the uk a company that makes chocolates called cadburys decided to stop paying for all the adverts on television because they thought people ignored them. Within 3 months they had lost alot of sales, people thought they had gone out of buisness.

GW aren't trying to kill fantasy, they just haven't released that many WHFB products this year. Do you need to have regular releases to keep buying?

loveless
08-07-2009, 13:44
First off...

the more thoughtful methodical game that fantasy is.
...:eyebrows: Is Fantasy not the game with Daemons of Chaos, Vampire Counts, and Dark Elves?
I'm really sick of the "Fantasy is better! No, 40K is better!" crap...neither one is better, they're just different - unfortunately, one of those differences is price.

---

It's a 40K year. The studio had a lot of 40K stuff they wanted to bring out. Frankly, who can blame them? Dawn of War 2 will likely bring in more people to the game and you have to feed the ADD of the newbies.

WAR unfortunately went from being hyped like there's no tomorrow to just sort of "being there" - not a lot you can do with it as a company.

Since GW's best form of advertising outside of their own publications is their video game contracts...well, you'd best produce what's being advertised - in this case, 40K.

Now...where's that Blood Bowl revival? :p

Crazy Harborc
09-07-2009, 01:55
Not really very concerned that releases for WHFB are not very many in numbers this year. I am catching up on a backlog of stuff to be painted.

I can also do some touch up painting on my tried and true AND more than 10 years old minies for most of my WHFB armies.