PDA

View Full Version : Orcs vs ?????

Dag
07-07-2009, 18:40
Im going to a "Fairly competative" tournament this month and its one where you submit your list to the hosts and they determine lameness or whatever.

I field:
20boyz shield/com
20boyz shield/com
5spider spear bow music
5wolf spear bow music
12savage bigun 2 chop com

18blorks com butchery shields
5savage bigun boars waaagh command.
8hoppers,
boar or goblin chariot.

4trolls

then usually a fighty lord, a lvl 2 orc mage and a bsb. sometimes i throw in another savage bigboss on chariot with pigstikka just for fun, although the enemies ive played have never let him into combat. ive found him to be a damn good bullet magnet tho.

the tourny is 2250 points so i have some breathing room. love giants but again, in tournies players seeem to have ways to bring them down early, causing greenies fear of panic.

the armies in the tourny atm are 1 vc, 1doc, 2empire, 1bret, 2de, 1ok

i know my list is a bit magic weak, thinking of spirit banner on a orc bsb on a boar to run from the 20boy units to which has more ranks if one gets shot. maybe a scroll caddie.

any advice on how to deal with those armies would be welcome!

Drakcore Bloodtear
07-07-2009, 18:48
Well having two unit's of Big'uns dosen't help

the Savage orcs looks like a waste as there are only 12 they will getcrushed quickel
the boss in chariot is good but like you said it wont last long with big guns around the BsB should have spirit totem, very useful and the trolls need to be used well to reach there full potential

All in all a good list

Urgat
07-07-2009, 19:16
What kind of trolls? The 12 orcs, I assume, are for flanking, as a support unit. You'll find that excepted against bretonnians, there won't be many units against which all the orcs will get to attack. So you might save a dozen points and cut them down to 10? I think you could also save points on the spears for the two light cav units, they're really not good in melee, especially since most of the armies you have there will make them test for fear in order to charge, excepted the empire and bret lists.

Dag
08-07-2009, 21:15
hmm true about the fear. i hate that all their units cause fear or better. bah!

as a side note the savage biguns have always been surprisingly good for me as a hammer unit, butwith a waaagh call yo ucan use them in the front and get ranked up boys in the side. its nasty. but again yes, their overpriced.

i really like the ward save as most of my units dont get armour saves vs anything anymore. and if they do its 6+ anyways.

Dag
08-07-2009, 21:17
squighoppers are the best cost effective thing in my army. (excluding HE games were i just dont take them.) sometimes i field giants, ive had them do some pretty funny things. good and bad. picked up an emp bsb, the unit champion, 2 more guys. next turn jump up and down, falls down, on the whole unit killing 9. lol

selone
08-07-2009, 21:30
Heya, a few things

- get the spirit banner on a boar, you can't go wrong with it.
- make your boyz unit 25 strong, you need outnumber and to be able to take a casualty without losing the +bonus

I'd not take a giant to a tournament but some others love 'em. Savage orcs are defintly a good unit but I do worry about 12 not being pin cushions.

Dag
09-07-2009, 02:51
the point of the 12 is to be a juicy target. they frenzied so even if its the last 5 guys in the unit they can still charge some big nasty, giant or some other terror monster without trouble.