PDA

View Full Version : Daemons 2k Tournament

Gaargod
07-07-2009, 21:40
Hey all.

My friend is planning to buy and build a daemon army for an interstore tournament this August - so all of the below army is subject to change, as he hasn't bought it yet. Now, he's a very nice guy, maybe not the most tactically astute but he has the most ridiculous luck ever. So i'm thinking combining it with a good daemon list could work wonders. Seriously, he rolls irresistable force on 3 dice a couple of times a game, and succeeds in casting Gateway out of 2 attempts, every damm turn. Its honestly scary (we all share dice too..).

As for the list, he asked me to give him a hand with it. I'm usually pretty good at writing lists, but who knows...

Bloodthirster of Khorne with Immortal Fury and Armour of Khorne = 490

Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery and Flames of Tzeentch = 165

Herald of Nurgle, BSB with Great Standard of Sundering and Lv1 = 250

10 Horrors of Tzeentch with Standard and Icon of Sorcery = 147
10 Horrors of Tzeentch with Standard and Icon of Sorcery = 147
6 Furies = 72
5 Furies = 60
20 Plaguebearers with Standard = 252

6 Flamers of Tzeentch = 210

Total = 1995

Now you may well be screaming BT + 12 flamers = cheese. This is indeed the idea - its a tournament. Our LGS will even let him practise this on us.

However i'm thinking it may have problems from its lack on anything hammer over than the BT. But 2k is an annoying number to work with, and i just couldn't see how to get in the hounds without losing the plaguebearers, which isn't something he really wants to do. Would make life easier tho...

On another note, anyone got any good alternatives for daemon models? Current plan is something along lines of

Furies (horribly expensive and not great models otherwise):
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/winged/latest/06183
or
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/winged/latest/06192

Bloodthirster

http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/wardemon.html
with demon wings from ultraforge

However, he still needs to find an alternative to the Tzeentch Herald and Nurgle Herald (otherwise will use the Plaguebearer champion, which could work.

blumley
08-07-2009, 00:36
i would drop the furies and fos on your herald and add another herald of tzeentch to the army with master of sorcery. i think this will add some more versatility to your army.

just my opinion, but i have found that 2 heralds with MOS is extremely handy

good luck

Jind_Singh
08-07-2009, 09:23
Hey I like those figures on the weblink!
As for the list.....

Plaugebearers are ok, but not amazing. Granted you got 5+ ward, 4+ regen, str 4, posioned attacks, but I'd rather take a herald of khorne on jugger, armour of khorne, firestorm blade, with 16 bloodletters - make him a BSB. Now you have a 0+ armour save, str 7 flaming attacks - with FIVE killing blow attacks, hatred on the unit.
Why these over the plaugebearers? The nurgle dudes are a tarpit, they will lock a unit up in combat. Khorne units with a herald will just munch through a unit, normally getting to attack before their foe as they have high INI stats.
Take 2 heralds of Tzeentch, with the 35pt gift (plus 1 powerdie) and if you have points spare give them wings (greenstuff and paint a can of red bull on them!)
Now you have 2 lvl 2 mages, along with 2 lvl 1 mages (horrors), and 2 combat masters - Herald and thirster
Keep your core as 2 units of 10 horrors, and either 11 or 16 bloodletters (points dependant).
You can drop a unit of furies and by converting plauge monkeys to letters, and by dropping the unit size, you have enough points for the extra herald.
You can't overlook the HoT - take the basic spell for all 4 casters and you now have an excellent magic missile army that will have a whooping 10 PD!!! Add the -2 to cast in the opponents turn and your looking magic savvy.
The bloodletters can move 5" so provide a fast moving unit capable of hitting hard alongside the thirster, with a unit of furies to hunt warmachines/march block the enemy.
I personally drop greater deamons for more units - core, special, rare, as I belive in taking horde armies, and besides a lucky shot/spell sees a 1/4 of your army depleted!
Another dirty tactic is to take the BSB icon that makes you stubborn, give the bloodthirster the gift that gives him 2D6 attacks with armour of khorne, and immortal fury - run him forwards and watch him eat everything up! With stubborn leadership 9, re-roll any failed breaktests due to the BSB - and you'll make everyone cry!
Good luck - and paint the living daylights out of the army as you'll win ZERO comp scores!

Izram
08-07-2009, 18:44
It has been a while since I have played, so someone correct me if I am wrong; but is it not more points-economically sound to put the herald of nurgle on a palanquin? He displaces 3 extra spots, so you dont need to have the extra plaguebeaers there, so it is 50 vs 36 pts. In place of the one attack from the displaced model, you gain 6 attacks; albiet str3, they are poisoned.

Gaargod
09-07-2009, 20:38
Hello again. Slight problem - my friend has found he doesn't have as much money as he thought. So, cheaper army then.

Bloodthirster of Khorne with Immortal Fury and Armour of Khorne = 490

Herald of Tzeentch with BSB, Master of Sorcery and Flames of Tzeentch = 190

Masque = 90

10 Horrors of Tzeentch with Standard, Musician and Icon of Sorcery = 153

5 Flesh Hounds = 175
5 Flesh Hounds = 175

Total = 1999

Similar sort of style, but no block of plaguebearers now. Flesh hounds can be suprisingly cheap, when you convert them from chaos warhounds.
Yes, this may be actually even worse than before.