PDA

View Full Version : New Kroot Singular Adaption

FireN.Brimstone
03-01-2006, 20:05
First the background. For those of you who have not read the Kroot Merc Army list (found HERE (http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/kroot%2Dlist/)) Singular Adaptation are to a pure Kroot Merc List as Doctrines or Traits are to a Imperial Guard or Space Marines list, the only real difference is you only get 1 per army and then negative is a point increase instead of an option decrease.

To me the concept that an army can only do well if it is on a board with the right kind of terrain is unsupportable from a rules perspective. From a fluff perspective, yes it makes perfect sense that kroot only gain advantages from Tree-type terrain, but that same fluff also makes them probably the second (maybe third) most adaptable race in 40k Behind the 'Nids (and maybe Tau).

So with that in mind, I present the Singular Adaptation Native Travelers (name could use some work).

Native Travelers:The master has lead this band to eat the best adapted animals from each environment they fight leading them to become masters of all terrain at the cost of some of their speciation in the forest. All models ignore the Field Craft Special Rule and instead get the Move Through Cover and Skilled Rider Universal Special Rules and when in Cover where they would normally receive a 6+ or 5+ cover save they get a +1 bonus to their save.
Point Cost: +1 per Kroot

Now I suppose you could make a case for a +2 cost but honestly they aren't able to get a better than 4+ Cover Save (well unless their in a bunker) and they lose arguably their most powerful rule: the ability to be standing in 7+ inches of cover and shoot out without fear of return fire. The point of this trait is, just like it says, to make them more generalist, so that the kind of cover on a board does not determine how good they do, but rather how much cover and what kind.

IncubiLord
04-01-2006, 00:03
"Chameleon" should probably be modded to +1 to all cover saves as well.
Do that, drop it from this, and make it an optional replacement for fieldcraft.
This is more of a tactical thing than an evolutionary thing, so I would keep it seperate from the adaptations.

Kroot need a lot more than this to be a good army (unless you go the VDR w/Imperial guns route), but it's a nice addition.

FireN.Brimstone
04-01-2006, 00:20
"Chameleon" should probably be modded to +1 to all cover saves as well.
Do that, drop it from this, and make it an optional replacement for fieldcraft.
This is more of a tactical thing than an evolutionary thing, so I would keep it seperate from the adaptations.

While I'd tend to disagree with the Chameleon thing, as given their hoard-ish nature allowing them to claim a better than 4+ cover save (which buildings +1 to cover saves would) seems rather dangerous. As for making this an optional replacement for Fieldcraft, while that would be perhaps the "best" solution, I would worry that it could make allied kroot too good, and beyond that I don't really think the Developers would ever allow a Special Rules where you could pick from two different texts...

Kroot need a lot more than this to be a good army (unless you go the VDR w/Imperial guns route), but it's a nice addition.

Agreed but this would help even the playing field a little. What they really need is a good anti-tank weapon, but their not going to get it. That said if the price decrease for krootox that the Tau are suppose to get (I've heard as low as a Marine per Krootox) is carried over to the Kroot list that would give them a fairly reliable anti-skimmer gun for a reasonable price, combine that with the ever popular Eviserator for anything that doesn't float and you'd have some good-ish anti-tank. But even then they'd still be wouldn't be ultra-competitive (but since their a CA list this is to be expected), even so the change I'd most like to see is anything, the above being one possible solution, that'd make the removal of Blood of the Stalker, and thus first turn charges, viable without making the list unworkable.

IncubiLord
04-01-2006, 01:47
allowing them to claim a better than 4+ cover save (which buildings +1 to cover saves would) seems rather dangerous.
I suggseted this based off the new lictor rules and the updated DE mandrakes. Both are hard to see, and chameleonic rules should be similar. Limiting it to 4+ at best seems reasonable though.

I would worry that it could make allied kroot too good Make it only an option available to the Merc Army. Kroot Mercs in another force are generics, these are exceptional forces.

I don't really think the Developers would ever allow a Special Rules where you could pick from two different texts...
Unless you count the Black Templars' vows...

crashbang
04-01-2006, 08:44
i feel like a kroot revision...bwahahaha

anyway, thats not a bad adaption, but dont their current rules do that and more anyway? if not then its fine.

and btw in codex:tau empires, krootox are 25pts!:eek:

IncubiLord
04-01-2006, 17:04
We'll tackle that after the Tau 'dex comes out, under the cover of making them "consistant" with the updated Kroot in it. :evilgrin: