PDA

View Full Version : Returning after hiatus: Slaaneshi marines questions

Grimtoast
08-07-2009, 20:43
Been out of the 40k loop for a few years, here.

I finally may have a chance to have a little free time here and there now, but things have changed quite a bit in the latest edition of the chaos codex.

Quick background/theme for my army:

Started playing slaaneshi marines around 1999 because I'm a musician and the old Noise Marine models were evil rock'n'roll demon looking guys with instrument / weapons. Right up my alley.

So over the years I'd been assembling a pretty potent mid-range shooty army supported by some mobile CC support - everything in the army is Slaanesh based. No mixing undivided or other gods, not even any demons. Strictly a loyal slaaneshi marine army.

Now, I see in the newest codex that my ability to take sonic weaponry in several places has been greatly reduced or removed.

No sonic weapons on dreadnaughts, predators, etc. A max of one blastmaster per squad (i used to run heavies with mark of slaanesh with i think 3 or 4 BM's as one squad) - and most of the troops were sonic blaster equipped.

Now I see I can't take my dreads/preds with sonic weaponry, and the lack of ability to take more than 1 BM in a squad sort of neuters the heavy support squad theme I had been going for.

Does anyone know of any plans to re-institute dread/pred sonic weaponry, more BM's, other fun bits to make the army decidedly more Slaanesh dedicated?

Right now I'm still half on the fence, and heavily considering just sticking to blood bowl for the foreseeable future due to the watering down of the chaos marines (watered down in terms of keeping my prior slaanesh theme, not watered down in effectiveness - i've no idea how effective or ineffective they are these days).

Thoughts? Comments? Suggested reading?

Wraithseer
08-07-2009, 20:59
THe slaanesh army works with just noise marines, that said I truly feel your pain at the loss of the sonic dreads and preds....and my sonic havoc squads. We have been promised a legion codex someday, but don't hold your breath. If you want you can still use everything in apoc, but really we all individually need to weigh weather or not the loss of our wargear and weapon upgrades makes the use of the current codex unfun. the codex is strong it is just missing the flavor of the old one.

Vedar
08-07-2009, 22:59
They can still work. Noise marines while they cost a lot of points can do a lot. I tend to mix in normal troops with a Icon of Slaanesh. A 15 point marine is better than losing a 25 point marine. (meaning 1-2 noise marine squads and 1-2 CMS squads with Icons.)

HQ chioces can take marks and the dreaded Lash prince is so effective it is called cheese quite often.

If anything the new Chaos codex lacks flavor. We all have to deal with playing bland chaos armies until the next codex.

Askari
08-07-2009, 23:55
If you want to play as your old theme did... well I'm afraid you can join our club of "counts-as but not particularly impressed" people.

There has been rumouring about a future Chaos Legions codex, that will allow you to use the Emperor's Children, or other pure-Slaanesh force complete with Sonic Weaponry and all. But there's no concrete information with this, and I'm not about to hold my breath.

That said, if you play with a group of friends, why not just use them as they are?
If you want ideas on counts-as, well Blastmasters are Autocannons, Sonic Blasters will have to be Bolters, the Obliterator rules could represent Sonic Marine Havocs with Doom Sirens and Blastmasters, as powerful Champions adept at using the varying frequencies to different effects. Sigh...

qwertywraith
09-07-2009, 01:19
Does anyone know of any plans to re-institute dread/pred sonic weaponry, more BM's, other fun bits to make the army decidedly more Slaanesh dedicated?

The short answer is no. The hopeful answer is maybe.

It has been suggested and hinted there may be a Legions codex or codices, but that is probably not true. I think Jervis said it to placate the fans who were upset about the current CSM codex.

Now there is an apocalypse datasheet that gives the EC back sonic termies, dreads, havoks, etc. But, obviously, it is apocalypse only. It's not so broken you couldn't use it in regular games with opponents permission.

Cuda
09-07-2009, 01:44
Been out of the 40k loop for a few years, here.

I finally may have a chance to have a little free time here and there now, but things have changed quite a bit in the latest edition of the chaos codex.

Quick background/theme for my army:

Started playing slaaneshi marines around 1999 because I'm a musician and the old Noise Marine models were evil rock'n'roll demon looking guys with instrument / weapons. Right up my alley.

Yeah I hear ya, fortunately my whole EC army is the old Noise Marines with Guitars, and the Aspiring Champion. I really love those old Jess Goodwin models. I really miss the Sonic Dread, may get the FW one someday. We can only hope that GW will bring back some of the models that added to the game.

Cuda...

Grimtoast
09-07-2009, 05:35
Well crud.

I was hoping that it was just me, having been gone for awhile and maybe remembering things to be better than they were - looks like it's turned out that the current codex is just really bland though.

I'm still going to try to give myself a little pep talk and get back into it again. But right now Blood Bowl just seems more appealing than a slaaneshi army of 'counts as' or 'you can't field that' woes.