PDA

View Full Version : DE army, good?

UlricDarksoul
08-07-2009, 23:21
Hi there,

i want to start a DE army, and with the army builder program, i made the following 1750 pts army, according to what i've read in the topics:

General+manti
hero+chariot
hero+sword of destruction (just for the 10 points)
sorceress
4x spearmen
2x crossbowmen
3x CoK
3x DR
1 BoT
1 Harpies
1 War Hydra.

I've never played, but i was wondering, is this a good army for the game?

thanks for your opinions.

greetings

azraelezekiel
09-07-2009, 17:55
First off which army builder are you using?
Are the army lists 2.2?
If not then you need to get them, I recommend jWM by brumbaer but then again I would ;)

Dark elves are a great army to play, almost as strong as HE but not quite as cheesy with some unique special rules that makes game play very challenging at times, nothing is funnier than having to execute your commanders one by one for blunders :) oh how I laughed {:(

Don't put your general on a terror causer as he should never get into combat.
You are 165 points short of 2k so you need to make these up.
I would drop a hero in favour of another spell caster but I like banging out those spells :)

I personally love the hydra model but have mixed results in combat.
Yet my mate always takes the max allowed and does well with them.

I find bolt throwers and harpies do better in pairs.

WM is a game of cavalry if truth be told so I always max out on the heavies, again I am not that big a fan of the dark riders but have used them a few times to good effect.

The best way to get a feel for an army is to use the tiles available over on the yahoo site http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gw-warmaster/
That way you can see how the game plays and your chosen army list handles.
It is a lot cheaper than buying an army (especially one of the none ebay regulars like DE) and discovering you don't like the game/army.

But most people love it when they have had a few games. Next step is then to find an opponent ;)

Pugwash
10-07-2009, 11:01
Thanks for posting azraelezekiel, I was waiting for the voice of experience before I put my $0.2c in.

I'm doing Dark Elves as my next army and have been giving a first tentative list some thought. I like the Leadership rules, although think that the repeater crossbows really should be allowed to fire 2 shots when charged as the Hellblaster can elect to 'fire' at any point in the charge to maximise damage (damn those over-eager dark elves!).

Witch Elves look like they might be worth having against a shooting foe, or as a way of screening cavalry. And the Hydra is so much worse than the high Elf dragon rider i can understand where all that 'eternal hatred' somes from.

The only redeeming quality vs their High Elf bretheren is the Cold One knights, who will hit as hard as chaos knights in the first round of fighting. The catch is having enough so you can brigade 'em together for my money. My first 2k list would look like this:

4 Spearmen
2 Crossbows
2 Witch Elves
6 Cold One Knights
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 Hydra
2 Harpies
2 Sorceress
1 General

Break of 10

Then just need a way to squeeze in an Orb - assuming it can be used to negate my General's first blunder :confused:

azraelezekiel
10-07-2009, 14:09
Looks good to me Pugwash.
I love witch elves but make sure they don't get charged as they will melt!

Again the inclusion of the hydra is controversial.
But it is a VERY nice model.

UlricDarksoul
10-07-2009, 20:22
well... in my almost 15 years playing DE, the Hydra have been my favourite monster (i played with it even when it mas overpriced) so i think i would keep it. I have army builder 2.2c so that's why i have issues with the point values.

Thanks for the insights, i'll make another list soon enough to see how it goes... now, as for the matter of oponents, it is also a matter of time. RoloRamone is a regular in one of the clubs down here in Chile.

Rolo Ramone
11-07-2009, 21:22
Im getting there right now. My bretonnian Army is just matter of time....

Shrapnelsmile
13-09-2009, 02:08
Thanks for posting azraelezekiel, I was waiting for the voice of experience before I put my $0.2c in.

I'm doing Dark Elves as my next army and have been giving a first tentative list some thought. I like the Leadership rules, although think that the repeater crossbows really should be allowed to fire 2 shots when charged as the Hellblaster can elect to 'fire' at any point in the charge to maximise damage (damn those over-eager dark elves!).

Witch Elves look like they might be worth having against a shooting foe, or as a way of screening cavalry. And the Hydra is so much worse than the high Elf dragon rider i can understand where all that 'eternal hatred' somes from.

The only redeeming quality vs their High Elf bretheren is the Cold One knights, who will hit as hard as chaos knights in the first round of fighting. The catch is having enough so you can brigade 'em together for my money. My first 2k list would look like this:

4 Spearmen
2 Crossbows
2 Witch Elves
6 Cold One Knights
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 Hydra
2 Harpies
2 Sorceress
1 General

Break of 10

Then just need a way to squeeze in an Orb - assuming it can be used to negate my General's first blunder :confused:

General's don't blunder from what I've read -- only your other commanders. Is this accurate everyone?

Pugwash
13-09-2009, 03:09
Shrapnelsmile: General's don't blunder from what I've read -- only your other commanders. Is this accurate everyone?

"In addition if your General rolls a 'blunder' (i.e. a double 6) then the General automatically loses 1 level..." Warmaster Armies, Dark Elf Army List.

Shrapnelsmile
13-09-2009, 04:07
agh, thanks Pug