PDA

View Full Version : VC players - how big are your units?

Shadowfax
09-07-2009, 03:33
I need to whip up some movement trays, but I haven't played a game with my VC yet, and don't know how big to make them or what size unit is ideal.

I'm guessing 20 is about the minimum size for Core choices, right? But something like 25 is probably closer to the standard? I don't plan on using Zombies, but Skellies and Ghouls will definitely see some action.

Same deal for Grave Guard? 20+ at the very least?

Sarah S
09-07-2009, 03:37
It depends. If you go for a dice-tastic summoning horde, you can start with 10 on the table and end up with 50 by the end of the game. Of course that's just the Skeletons and Ghouls with the appropriate power though.

Yrrdead
09-07-2009, 05:49
I'm actually working on a similar project. For core I'm making magnetic bases 5x6. A couple 5x5's for GG (though normally they are 14-21 models big). I may depending on materials make a pretty ginormous tray for a whole heap of zombies but we'll see.

dodicula
09-07-2009, 05:52
Most VC PLayers have rather small units, which is why they play VC, to compensate.

Shadowfax
09-07-2009, 06:25
I'm going to be playing a very martial VC army. Combat vamps, plenty of skellies and Grave Guard, Black Knights, and Blood Knights (quite possibly my favourite models in all the GW ranges). Doesn't mean I'll never ever throw down a Necromancer or some Spirits, but they will be exceptions to my normal composition. No magic spam from me. I kind of hate the magic phase, and love to put practitioners to the sword.

Most VC PLayers have rather small units, which is why they play VC, to compensate.
Well played. I only wish you had gotten the first post in the thread.

MasterSparks
09-07-2009, 07:53
For Skeletons, 20-25 is my standard unit size. If I use 20 I often give them the Warbanner to make for the slightly lesser amount of models. I normally run Ghouls between 18-21 strong, depending on if I want them in a 6x3 or a 7x3 formation. My Grave Guard are usually only around 15 strong - any larger than that and the unit tends to become something that my enemies start to avoid, making it that much harder for them to earn their points back. 15 with a character and/or good magic support has always been enough for me so far anyway. :)

I long ago realized the rampant ****ness (personal opinion of course..) of the summoning master powers which is why I've given up on them completely, even though my general is usually a caster one. My opponents thanked me for it and so did my army's aesthetic appearance. :)

Lordmonkey
09-07-2009, 14:03
For skeletons, 5 wide is best. They excel at static combat resolution, damage mitigation, but do not dish out much.

For ghouls, 7 wide works best. They have 2 poisoned attacks each and ws3 (OMFG!) which can be disgusting when combined with van hel's in close combat ;)

For Zombies, 5 wide again. They are the ultimate tarpit and need all the ranks they can get!

For Grave Guard, it depends. Offensive builds (Great weapons) need 6-7 wide, whereas defensive (HW + Shield) are better off 5 wide.

Hope this helps :)

Keller
09-07-2009, 14:33
As a long time Empire player, I am all for rather large units of infantry. My skeletons start the game at 20-25, Zombies at 25-40. Being as I never had much in the way of ghouls in 6th ed, I still tend to use them in units of 12-15 as support for my skeleton regiments. Graveguard units are either 12-15 or 20-25, depending on what I intend to do with them. Cavalry, which is extremely rare in my armies, usually are fielded as only 6 models, as are wolves.

I'm in the same view as MasterSparks with the summoning powers. I dispise them and will not take them. I still use invocation to raise units, but only back to starting sizes (except for zombies, of course.) I just hate to see people end up with so many extra points worth of models during the course of the game that a 2K v 2K is no longer what you are playing.

bork da basher
09-07-2009, 15:28
i don't believe in paying for something i can raise for free. i almost always begin the game with my core units at 10 but if im facing shooty lists i may bump it to 15 to try and avoid a first turn wipeout. generally speaking it's your elites that get the most shooting phase hassle so 10 usually works fine. by the time combat hits your running at 25-30 easily on most occasions. depending on what core choices you use id either go 5 wide for skellies & zombies because they're better off with optimum ranks or 7 wide for ghoulies who want optimum bases in CC. 14 poisoned attacks from a rank of 7 ghouls will make anyone worry.

gravy guard i use with GW's in ranks of 7 wide in 2 ranks again to get the hits in and if im going with shields then 5-6 wide and 3-4 ranks depending.

WodenMHC
10-07-2009, 01:51
I don't pay any points off the list total to pay for zombies, as they are naturally easy to raise.

I start with a unit of 15 skeletons, and during games it goes between 30 and 20 or so bigger.

I start two units of 10 ghouls on the board, and they both are made bigger through the course of the game as well.

Now, if you despise the raising powers etc, then this won't work. I like this set up as it saves me enough points to make the characters I want as well as including the units I want in the list.

Thanks for your time!

Spirit
10-07-2009, 11:47
My movement trays consist of

5x5 (grave guard

5x9 (zombies, i start my units at 30 but they always manage to get up to about 50) To me, raising zombies in the game is a waste of a good magic phase, while they cost more to buy normally, spending 100 points to NOT spend a whole magic phase raising a single unit is well worth it imo.

2x (5x7) (skeletons, start at 20-25 so i rarely need many more)

7x5 (for my 7 frontage ghouls, can double as a 5x7 if need be)

Lastly, i have a tray that fits 6 black knights, always good ad if you have more its not a problem to move them because you move the whole front rank then rank the remaining ones up.

The reason i've listed the 5x7 and 7x5 separately is because i have left the rear of each tray free, so that i can slot them together if need be, so the 7x5 is slightly different t the 5x7.